Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Coeus
    • By Coeus 12th Nov 16, 9:35 AM
    • 283Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Coeus
    BT Telegraph Pole Erected Outside Property!
    • 12th Nov 16, 9:35 AM
    BT Telegraph Pole Erected Outside Property! 12th Nov 16 at 9:35 AM
    Greetings Everyone!

Hope you are all well.

Anyone had any experience with a telegraph pole being installed outside there property?

I recently have unfortunately spoiling the views for myself and our neighbours

I can make a complaint as noted on the pole itself - I have drafted in reads the below:

12th November 2016

FAO: Pole Objection Team

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to object to the overhead apparatus installed immediately outside my property under paragraph 17 of the electronic communications code (telecommunications act 1984 schedule 2 as amended by schedule 3 to the communications act 2003).

This relates to the installation of electronic communications apparatus consisting of plant and new pole installed on 10-11-16. Installation details as follows:
    • Engineer ID and job number: XXX
    • Ref: XXX

My objection is made as the occupier of the above property under note (b) having an interest the land, the enjoyment of which, or any interest in which, is because of the nearness of the land on or over which the apparatus has been installed, capable of being prejudiced by the apparatus.

From the photographic evidence attached the installation of this equipment obviously impacts the aesthetic value of my property and as such negatively impacts on its value. The photos provided do not yet show the connection of the phone lines to the property XXX but I can assume this will directly cross from the pole to the building again impacting the aesthetic value of my property.

I request that the equipment is removed and an alternative solution is found following a consultation process with the affected neighbouring properties. Alternatively I would seek to be compensated for the loss in value to my property.

Please respond in writing to the above address or email: XXX
    Do you think I will get anywhere?

Many thanks in advance!

Coeus.
    Hope For The Best, Plan For The Worst
Page 4
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 14th Nov 16, 11:16 AM
    • 4,888 Posts
    • 7,841 Thanks
    Gavin83
    It's not tough at all, these thing are needed but often they can come to some middle ground with a bit of negotiation.
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    What middle ground? Placing it outside someone elses house instead? Exactly my point, you expect these facilities but not if they're outside your own property.

As I said, if you expect a company such as BT to move a pole just because you object your living in a dreamworld. They'll have selected that location for a very specific reason and frankly they've no legal obligation to move it. They'd no doubt listen to you just to come across as 'fair' but they wouldn't be moving it.

As others have stated they can legally place it on your property if needed. I very much doubt placing it on a piece of land you don't even own will be any trouble at all.

I wouldn't move to a house with a bus stop outside, to each their own though. I suppose it's lucky that there's people like you who will accept this sort of thing it makes it easier for people like me to get big companies to choose another spot.
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    Well it was my parents house so I didn't have much say in the matter and as far as I'm aware it was there when they moved in. My point was I'm not really sure what issue people have with a bus stop, in the years I lived there it caused no problem.

And once again, a company wouldn't choose another spot just because you asked them to.
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 14th Nov 16, 11:37 AM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    The OP could resolve the issue if they wish by purchasing the whole street and making a private one then charging BT ground rental for the pole and this would then keep them happy.
    • HiToAll
    • By HiToAll 14th Nov 16, 11:43 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    HiToAll
    Is there really a 'Pole Objection Team' in BT.

Who is its manager, Nigel Farage?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Nov 16, 11:48 AM
    • 19,455 Posts
    • 10,552 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Do you think I will get anywhere?
    Originally posted by Coeus
    No.

(but you'll get plenty of responses to your thread )
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 14th Nov 16, 6:51 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 1,461 Thanks
    Zandoni
    Erecting a pole, on the highway, is not "riding roughshod" over anyone.
    If a pole is needed in that location, to hold the wires up, where are they supposed put it. Does the op own the road outside his property?.
    Originally posted by societys child
    Who knows whether the pole was needed in that exact position if the OP had some consultation perhaps it could of been moved a few metres either way.

Who wants to wake up one morning and see telephone engineer outside their bedroom window.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 14th Nov 16, 7:28 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 2,955 Thanks
    unforeseen
    So you move from in front of the op and it is now in front of the neighbour. Where do you stop?

The simple answer is if it is not on the ops land and doesn't cause any obstruction by preventing access to the dwelling for example then do not consult. You can not please everybody by consulting as NIMBYism kicks in big time in this sort of situation
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 14th Nov 16, 7:40 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 1,461 Thanks
    Zandoni
    What middle ground? Placing it outside someone elses house instead? Exactly my point, you expect these facilities but not if they're outside your own property.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Who knows without seeing the house, perhaps a few metres either way woul be all that was required

As I said, if you expect a company such as BT to move a pole just because you object your living in a dreamworld. They'll have selected that location for a very specific reason and frankly they've no legal obligation to move it. They'd no doubt listen to you just to come across as 'fair' but they wouldn't be moving it.
    You don't know unless you try, perhaps there was no specific region and a few metres either way doesn't matter.

Well it was my parents house so I didn't have much say in the matter and as far as I'm aware it was there when they moved in. My point was I'm not really sure what issue people have with a bus stop, in the years I lived there it caused no problem.
    I'd never buy a house with a bus stop outside, I'd have all sorts of issues.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 14th Nov 16, 7:41 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 1,461 Thanks
    Zandoni
    So you move from in front of the op and it is now in front of the neighbour. Where do you stop?

The simple answer is if it is not on the ops land and doesn't cause any obstruction by preventing access to the dwelling for example then do not consult. You can not please everybody by consulting as NIMBYism kicks in big time in this sort of situation
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Well obviously there are people who don't care so that's the place to put the pole.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 14th Nov 16, 11:35 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    force ten
    the government have relaxed the regulations on the telecoms providers to speed the roll out of superfast broadband, this makes it easier for them to place new street cabs and expand the overhead network
    • jgirl
    • By jgirl 13th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jgirl
    Property Value
    You may not believe it effects the value of property but I can confirm that when searching for a property with a view in a rural area my husband and I have rejected several because the view was ruined by poles, cables etc. A view can add a lot to the value of a property so surely it follows that diminishing it would detract from this. As an example, check out the prices of property in a seaside area and look at the differences between those with a sea view and those without.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Feb 18, 12:41 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 4,026 Thanks
    DoaM
    Surely the better comparison would be Those with a sea view, and those with a sea view obstructed by poles?

It is patently obvious that sea view will likely command a higher premium than non-sea view, but that's not a valid comparison in respect of this thread - having a pole in your garden doesn't stop the property having a sea view, it just means it has an obstructed sea view.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 13th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    bigisi
    Also seems very odd to drag up a nearly 18 month old thread just to post an incorrect opinion on things.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 19,417 Posts
    • 15,112 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Also seems very odd to drag up a nearly 18 month old thread just to post an incorrect opinion on things.
    Originally posted by bigisi
    And to sign up just to do it!
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 13th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    Originally posted by bigisi
    How can someone have an incorrect opinion?

You might not agree with their opinion but that doesn't mean that theirs is wrong and yours is correct.
    Opinions are not right or wrong, simply the viewpoint of someone.

If you drink tea and in your opinion, coffee is awful but I'm the opposite and like coffee, does this mean that your opinion is incorrect?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 10,369 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    How can someone have an incorrect opinion?
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    If it is based on incorrect information.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 13th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    If it is based on incorrect information.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    But that still doesn't make an opinion incorrect.
    An opinion is simply how someone feels about something and as such, can't be right or wrong.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 10,369 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    But that still doesn't make an opinion incorrect.
    An opinion is simply how someone feels about something and as such, can't be right or wrong.
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    So if you read a report that Fred Bloggs had donated £1,000,000 to a certain charity, your opinion would probably be that Fred was a very generous man. However if it transpired that the actuality was that Fred had stolen £1,000,000 from the charity, then I would suggest that your opinion was incorrect.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 13th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Deastons
    The OP could resolve the issue if they wish by purchasing the whole street and making a private one then charging BT ground rental for the pole and this would then keep them happy.
    Originally posted by Stevie Palimo
    Although he'd also have to buy the fields, hills, farmhouses, trees, lakes etc. or whatever else creates the 'view' that he apparently feels he has some legal right to enjoy.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 13th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Deastons
    So if you read a report that Fred Bloggs had donated £1,000,000 to a certain charity, your opinion would probably be that Fred was a very generous man. However if it transpired that the actuality was that Fred had stolen £1,000,000 from the charity, then I would suggest that your opinion was incorrect.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    No, it was the report that was incorrect, for saying that Fred donated the money whereas he actually stole it.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Feb 18, 8:11 PM
    • 10,369 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    No, it was the report that was incorrect, for saying that Fred donated the money whereas he actually stole it.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    But as your opinion was based on the report it would follow your opinion was incorrect. Opinions are often based on information, if the information was incorrect, the opinion will be incorrect.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

1,512Users online

Martin's Twitter