Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 11th Nov 16, 3:08 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 81Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    Single 20 something mum - time to kick myself up the bum!
    • 11th Nov 16, 3:08 PM
    Single 20 something mum - time to kick myself up the bum! 11th Nov 16 at 3:08 PM
    Having stalked these forums for a while I've decided to start my own diary to get to grips with getting myself out of 15k debt!

So a little about me, I'm a 26 (almost 27) year old single working mum of 1 lovely little 3 year old. I think ever since I got an overdraft/first credit card back when I was 19 I've been bad with money. Over 2 years ago my daughter's father split up with me meaning I had to move into rented accommodation, followed by my father passing away unexpectedly, I started stupidly using money and spending money I didn't really have to cheer myself up.

I currently work 30 hours per week and if I worked an extra day I'd literally just be paying for nursery. Plus I'd prefer the time with my daughter over extra money ANY day! I'm also doing an open university degree in law so that's racking up even more debt

Now I've come to the realization that I know I need to cut back majorly, get a grip and start paying things off. Not sure how realistic my goal is but I want to be debt free or have at LEAST 80% of debt paid by my 30th birthday in 2020! I have to get over the self pity of how comfortable I could live without having to pay over £300 a month onto debt (I mean I could save a deposit for a house or have a better car/holidays if I weren't paying all that) and get to grips with being frugal and getting it down so I CAN live give my daughter a comfortable life long term.

I haven't done a SOA as my budget changes monthly (due to getting paid tax credits weekly) so I do a monthly budget on excel every month butttt this is what my typical monthly budget looks like:

Income
    Salary £1,275.61
    Benefits £521.71
    Child benefit £82.50
    Maintenance: £120

Total: £1999.82

Outgoings

Rent £575.00
    Nursery fees £368.00 - should get 15 free hours in January 2017 so amount will change then as will my tax credits
    Petrol £80.00
    Council Tax £92.00
    Gas £38.70
    Electricity £27.97
    Water £25.17
    Content insurance £16.19
    Car insurance £34.92
    Car Tax £11.37
    Mobile £19.00
    SKY £36 - tied in until October 2017
    Sofa £35.00 - payments finish August 2017
    Bank account fee £30.00 - I transfer this to cover my account fee of £19 and overdraft charges and what is left (small amount) to pay towards clearing overdraft)
    TV licence £12.12
    Daughter's ISA £25.00
    Savings £50.00 (best friend is getting married in Cyprus Sept 2017 so this is to pay for a holiday)
    GUIDE DOGS £5.00
    Food £120.00
    Other £20 - this covers OD fee on my main account and postcode lottery (because hey I might win £25,000 and all my troubles be over - we can dream )

Debt repayments
    CC1 £70.00
    CC2 £115.00
    CC3 £30.00
    CC4 £50.00
    CC5 £50.00

Total outgoings: £1931.35

Surplus income £67.32

Now for my total debts

Debts
    Overdraft 1 - £300
    Overdraf 2 - £400
    CC 1 - £2,874.99 1.4316% monthly rate
    CC 2 - £4723.41 1.5976% monthly rate
    CC 3 - £1924.72 0% until March 2017 then 2.0751% monthly rate
    CC 4 - £2,393.75 0% - can't remember when until and can't see info on statement but it's at least until December 2017
    CC 5 - £ £2540 0% again can't remember when this is as it's a new balance transfer so will find out when I get the statement
    CC 6 - £234.34 - aim to clear this first

Total debt = £15391.21

All of my CCs have been cut up bar 1 for EMERGENCIES ONLY

I've done two recent 0% balance transfers and unfortunately as my name has just come off a mortgage my credit rating isn't good enough to get any further 0% deals. So my plan is as follows:

Pay off CC 6 by January 2017
    Pay off as much as possible from CC 2 before 0% interest finishes in March 2017
    Have at least 25 NSDs every month
    Get the 2 x 0% CCs cleared by 0% term then hopefully get another 0% deal for the remaining cards.
    De-clutter my house and sell things on ebay to help towards Christmas
    Lastly save £700 moving fund so I can cut rental cost down to £500 pcm

Sorry for the long post!
    Last edited by timetobefrugal; 11-11-2016 at 3:16 PM.
Page 3
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 7th Feb 17, 5:29 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    Well had a lovely birthday weekend and gained £100 to treat myself along with other lovely pressies! Took my daughter to pick a bike yesterday (treat from Grandparents) but also treated her to a basket and a bell and food out so spent around £25 but today has been a NSD.

Forgotten I have a theatre show on Friday (tickets were a gift) but means I will probably have to buy a few drinks (there are a few of us going but hopefully shouldn't cost more than £20 for a round - I hope) so won't have as much to put aside for savings/debt this month but guess you have to live a little

Set my goal this year to get my debt down to at least £12,000 - will be hard as my budget is pretty tight this year due to saving for my friend's wedding abroad in September but I'm going to give it my best shot!!! I'd love to say I have paid off over 25% in 12 months
    Total Debt Jan 2017 £16339.86
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 8th Feb 17, 10:31 PM
    • 10,103 Posts
    • 64,620 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Glad you had a good birthday!
    £378 Debt free by 31/03/17 or bust
    Roadkill 17 £51.30 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1410.90 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    PAYDBX 7 #£397/£760 to go!!
    NST March1 4/15
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 15th Feb 17, 8:51 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    Thankyou Bobarella

Had a great weekend at the show although costly! Taking my sister out for lunch tomorrow for her birthday which takes up the rest of my spare money but have no plans for the rest of the month so should be fine. Next month is tight too (my daughter's father gave me a lump sum last year to cover maintenance until mid April this year and I spent it on car repairs ) but not much planned. I'm going to see the weeknd in Birmingham but hotel, ticket and train ticket all booked and paid for ages ago so just need to budget food money. Also my step brother's birthday so will send him some money in a card. Will be a frugal month that's for sure!

Looking forward to when I'm not saving £80 a month towards my best friend's wedding as that'll free up more money to chuck at the debt! Should have saved enough by August and plan to continue to save around £40 a month so I have an emergency fund.

On a plus note today is my last day at work until next Tuesday Nice long weekend for me including relaxing in a nice hot tub hope everyone is having a good week!
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 21st Feb 17, 9:38 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    Well not a lot to report this week! Had a good birthday weekend for my sister, took her for some lunch and a few drinks, also celebrated sat night with a few bottles of prosecco and a hot tub . Although means my budget for the rest of this month has been eaten up and I need petrol so I'm sooooo skint until payday on 27th (hurry up Monday)!

Had a really lazy week so far feeling lethargic, think a late night at the weekend triggered it as I've been so tired and haven't exercised once this week yet. Plus I didn't get a great mark on my most recent essay, it's by all means a pass but not what I'm aiming for......so feeling bit sorry for myself in general!

Took a day off work today so nipped to aldi as house was desperate for fresh food, got some chocolate to make some rice krispy cakes so cheap play day with my daughter making those. Have seen a job I'm going to apply for, around a 3k a year pay rise and think it would be a good foot in the door for legal experience.

So goals for this week:
    - Every day to be a NSD bar when I fill up with petrol
    - List going out dresses that have been sat in a pile waiting to be listed on ebay
    - Complete job application
    - Get prep for next uni essay done
    - Do the pile of ironing waiting on my cuddle chair

Bonus is I only have a 3 day work week this week
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 26th Feb 17, 12:37 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    So goals for this week:
    - Every day to be a NSD bar when I fill up with petrol - FAIL
    - List going out dresses that have been sat in a pile waiting to be listed on ebay - DONE
    - Complete job application - PART DONE
    - Get prep for next uni essay done - PLANNED FOR TODAY
    - Do the pile of ironing waiting on my cuddle chair - DONE

Got a few of my jobs done, daughter is with her dad today so I'm cracking on with my uni work. Did a balance transfer from my barclay card and closed the account the other week and surprise surprise they want to give me 37 months 0% on balance transfers so just got approved for £3800 limit which means I can transfer a big chunk of the only CC that I am paying interest on at the minute although there will still be over £1000 left on interest.

Feb has been a really expensive month so don't feel like I've achieved as much as I'd liked debt and savings wise but I've got my head down for March although it is mother's day and my step brother's birthday so will again be a very frugal month!

Have a LOAD of toys I need to sort out for a start, we're hardly ever here for my daughter to even play with probably a 10th of what she has! So my goal for March is to sort all of those out and list on eBay/gumtree. Any money I make from those is going to stay in my paypal and go towards her summer wardrobe.

Want to get a bookshelf for the living room and have seen a nice one for only £20 on eBay. I'm hoping I make at least that from the sale of my dresses and that'll be my treat for the month. Will update debt totals at the end of March once balance transfers are all done although with fees it will add around £65 to my total

Roll on payday tomorrow
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 27th Feb 17, 3:03 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    So it's payday today

Had a productive day again got up first thing and listed 3 bundles of my daughter's old clothes. These are to counterbalance the £18.50 I spent last night winning a summer clothing bundle. It had me worrying all night that it wasn't budgeted for hence the productivity this morning

Spent £32.45 this morning on food shopping and this included 3 bulbs, a birthday card and confetti so I was very pleased with myself! I had written down a meal plan so stuck to my shopping list. Made a yummy pesto vege tart for lunch and jam tart with the leftover pastry. Just sat and ate 3 with a coffee Have ingredients to make nachos with fresh salsa, crustless spinach quiche, and houmous and carrot wraps for work lunch this week and plenty of other fresh bits to use with everything in my cupboard so won't need anymore food till next week

Back to work tomorrow and although I wish it was a nsd it's our team outing. To be fair we go to a wetherspoons so I never spend more than £10! So aim is for the rest of the week to be nsds!

Tonight it'll be get my daughter to bed, workout, do some uni work and heat up yesterday's leftovers for dinner and watch the walking dead! Got to go as apparently I have to be the beast from beauty and the beast....
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 6th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    Well another productive week! Didn't end up spending a penny on the work night out as my boss got the first round and my colleague paid for my dinner.

Did my weekly shop today and was pretty chuffed with myself that I only spent £19.05 and that was including 2 chocolate bunnies (as gifts) For this week's meal plan I have got the ingredients to make thai green curry, baked potato with beans and salad, stir fry with noodles and pitta pizzas. Have made some curried lentils with cauliflower steaks and mushroom gravy for tonights dinner too - leftovers will be taken to work tomorrow! Have managed to fit in a workout 2 days in a row, tackled a big pile of ironing and sold 2 bundles of kids clothes and 2 of my dresses on eBay

Also cleared out my food cupboard and made a list of things like flour yeast etc that I need to replace as was years out of date

No plans for the rest of the week or weekend coming up as have an essay to get done and money to not spend!

On to a week of work
    Last edited by timetobefrugal; 06-03-2017 at 7:37 PM.
    • RebeccaAnney
    • By RebeccaAnney 7th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    RebeccaAnney
    I loved reading your thread! You are doing amazingly, your little girl must be very lucky to have a mummy like you. Hope everything is going ok with uni? I have been looking into doing my AAT's in September but this isn't accounted for in my budgets and although the course fees aren't as much as university it's still more than I will have saved. I'm in the same boat with my family, they don't know the extend of my debts and I don't want to worry them particularly my mum. My sister (18 months younger than me) asked the other day if I would recommend she got a credit card and I told her no way! Her spending habits are similar to mine and it always seems manageable and a sensible idea at the start. Also, love hearing what you're cooking, beats my spag bol I made tonight! Can I come for dinner? :ROTFL:

Good luck with everything, will definitely check in again soon!
    LBM 07/03/17 CC Debt - £7472.87 | Catalogue - £708.27 | OD - £2350 | Car Loan - £4348.38
    Total £14,879.52
    • RebeccaAnney
    • By RebeccaAnney 7th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    RebeccaAnney
    Why do I always get the emojis wrong? Such a newbie!
    LBM 07/03/17 CC Debt - £7472.87 | Catalogue - £708.27 | OD - £2350 | Car Loan - £4348.38
    Total £14,879.52
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 7th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    I had to laugh at your emoji fail I think i overuse them lol!! Wish they'd create even more........

Anyway thanks for popping by and thank you very much. I'm hoping by the time she's older all my debts are cleared and I can build a better life for her, first on the agenda will be saving for a little house for us. People think I'm joking but I'm determined to buy some land and build my own little micro home complete with a donkey, 2 pugs and some chickens.

Uni is challenging at times but I do enjoy it, I've been in my job 8 years so doesn't challenge my brain at all anymore. You'll never be out of a job as an accountant LOL so if you are interested in it I think it'll be a worthwhile investment. Luckily open uni is like any other and my fees just get added to my student finance loan. Although the LPC I need to do after this is 10K+ and I have no idea where I'll get that from.....And of course you can come for dinner lol! I've been a veggie for about 14 years so I have to come up with new meal ideas otherwise I get fed up and end up eating biscuits as dinner.

On the sister part, I have a sister 2 years older, no dependants, lives in her mate's house so outgoings not huge and she's in more debt than me! Neither of our parents have been good examples with money, I won't let this happen with my daughter!
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 7th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 10,103 Posts
    • 64,620 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I feel like you, I didn't have the best examples in my parents and money either. I feel sometimes I am ramming it home to my DS. But he's a regular skinflint so doing something right
    NST March1 4/15
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 8th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    I'm hoping my daughter will be smarter with money than me. Her dad is tight although he has plenty of money so maybe being tight is the answer, hopefully she takes after him......

I got in to work early this morning so finished off the job application as that closes today. Hoping if anything I get a chance at an interview as it's been years since I've had one.

Packages for sales on eb@y all posted. Money I made went straight on a bundle of 9 dresses for my daughter which I won for £32 including postage! Pretty chuffed as they as all either n3xt or debenh@ms (I've been people using symbols I'm assuming we're not supposed to mention brands?!) so works out at £3.55 per dress - bargain!

Budget for this month so far on target and I have £30 spare for my trip to Birmingham! Will have to be cheap and cheerful food and drink wise but I'm sure I can do it! We get breakfast in the hotel so won't need money for that at least.

2 balance transfers gone through have 0% at 37 months so have set up the DD so that it is paid off by the end of that term and have closed another CC account. Hoped to be under £16000 by the end of this month but the balance transfer fees might have taken me over this

On to another fun day at work
    • RebeccaAnney
    • By RebeccaAnney 8th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    RebeccaAnney
    I'm practising my smilies I'll get there I have no doubts that you could build an amazing home. I think i would stress about it all too much but what an accomplishment when you’re in your own little house. I love seeing the creativity on George Clarks Amazing Spaces it really is inspiring, have you seen it? I love those programmes because I love to see inside other people’s houses, just call me nosey, I can admit it. A donkey, pugs and chickens are an amazing combination, eggs on tap too, we go through insane amounts of eggs in our house.
    I can imagine uni is challenging, how long have you been studying for? My fear of further education is paying for it and then losing enthusiasm but cost will potentially force my enthusiasm. Ironically, I hate wasting money and I happen to be pretty good at it. I am in the same position as you, I’ve been in my job since 2008, know it like the back of my hand and only really have my experience and a few qualifications to rely on if I ever decided to leave.
    My sister has recently become veggie, she cooked chicken teriyaki using Quorn chicken, my first experience with Quorn and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I was telling her that the veggie options always catch my eye on a menu, I’m sure it feels different when they are your only options though. Also my partner is a real carnivore and where I could easily go without meat in meals, he couldn’t.
    My parents were also bad with money, when I was young we lived quite comfortably but my mum always says looking back that money would go through their hands like water. They lost it all and separated, don’t have much now and they have struggled over the past few years which I should’ve learned from.

Bobarella I wish my parents had been the same with me, definitely sounds like you're doing something right
    Total £14,879.52
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 10th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    The thing that drives me most is people thinking I won't/can't do it, I just like to prove people wrong. Yes I love George Clark! I had the opportunity of being given a rail carriage but it needed to be craned from up north and that alone was well into the thousands. Now if only my savings account was the balance of my debt I would have been good to go!

I've been doing open uni for 3 years but this is my second law year (I did an access course first to see how I'd get on). My main worry is spending all of that money and either failing or getting a really cruddy degree class and no prospect of any law firm wanting to take me on because if it. But it gives me something to work towards and something to fill my time with when my daughter is with her dad! There are times (like this week) when I have an essay due and don't feel prepared, my house looks like a bomb has hit it and I feel like there aren't enough hours in the day - coffee needs to be on tap for me! I just live in hope it'll be worth it

Well I'm glad you enjoyed the quorn! The most common quote I hear when I mention I'm a veggie is how many people say they only really eat chicken

Not much to report this week, got my job application done and have seen another I'm going to apply for. Daughter is with her dad tonight and tomorrow day so my weekend will involve cleaning and essay writing. Although she's been full of cold and her nanna just text she say she's crying that her ear hurts. I really hope it's nothing as it's the weekend and I don't fancy sitting at the walk in centre
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 12th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    So it's been a quiet weekend I've barely left the house! This essay is melting my brain although I'm nearly there. Tomorrow is the weeknd concert and I'm really looking forward to letting my hair down. Dropping my daughter off at lunch then heading to meet my sister to get the train into Birmingham. My colleague (who is a big softie) won on his shares and gave me and another colleague 1/6th of the winnings each which equated to £37.50, this will pay for my food and drinks for tomorrow

Daughter seems to be a lot better and I'm glad because I wouldn't want to leave her if she was poorly. Although I hate leaving her in general!

Remembered it's mother's day before payday and I hadn't budgeted for it . I bought some little metal plant pots a while ago so I've been creative and ordered some pens you can write on metal with. I'm going to get my daughter to draw on them and then put a little plant in them. Although I have to do 3 - 1 for each grandma and a step-great-grandma but means costs should be less than £10 for everything! My mum just asked I cooked dinner for her and I got an M&S voucher from work so I'll use that to buy the ingredients and make it look like I made the extra special effort

Not planning to spend much for the rest of the month I think I have around £30 food budget left which is completely doable. Looking forward to update my debt total next month when hopefully it's under £16000
    Last edited by timetobefrugal; 12-03-2017 at 8:50 PM.
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 12th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    Oh a warning light has come up on my dash that a bulb is gone/going need to check but pretty sure it's the break light. That'll be another cost not budgeted for but I'm pretty sure I've got £30 spare cash this month so again, doable!
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 12th Mar 17, 11:43 PM
    • 10,103 Posts
    • 64,620 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hope the essay gets top marks!
    NST March1 4/15
    • RebeccaAnney
    • By RebeccaAnney 14th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    RebeccaAnney
    How was the Weeknd? Wish all of my colleagues were as generous as yours!
    Total £14,879.52
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 16th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    Thanks Bobarella, not feeling very confident about this one but judging by my tutors email the other night people were having the same issues as me with it.....

The weeknd was amaaaaazing Rebecca! Had such a good night, enjoyed a fair few glasses of wine but I really enjoyed letting my hair down for once. I did have to buy some shoes the next day because all I had taken with me were boots and my feet were in pain Although I went into Primark and ended up buying some bits for my daughter (they had a kids guns n roses tee shirt how could I resist?!) So trip was overall more expensive than planned but was worth it and all within budget, just means very little spare money to keep me going until payday! Although I did list another bundle of my daughter's old clothes and hope to get at least £30 for that......so that'll help!

Although I had a good night Monday I've been really stressed with my essay and my daughter being poorly. She refused to go to her dad's Tuesday night sobbed she wanted to stay with mummy. So I let her stay with me and we took the day off yesterday to chill out.
    Back at work today which is so busy because I've had a few days off. Essay was due today so that's been submitted so tonight I need to get in a decent workout because I haven't exercised in over a week and tackle the large pile of ironing. Think I will make a mixed vege thai green curry for dinner....yum!

My sister asked if I wanted to go to watch the new beauty and the beast on Sunday, the old me would have thought sod it I'll go I deserve a treat. But the new me told her I am skint for the rest of the month but you can tell me if it's too scary to take my daughter and it can be our treat on payday (budget for next month shows £45 spare to play with after birthday presents have been sorted ) Go me!
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 22nd Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    Well I've been feeling abit meh since the weekend as it was rather spendy and means I've gone over budget

My mum had transferred me the money to renew my passport so I haven't put anything on a CC but means my comfortable budget for next month is no longer comfortable. Oh well I guess we all have slip ups?! Judging how bad I've felt since I don't think I'll be doing it again for a while!!

Anyway, I did spend it on mother's day presents and a trip to the play centre with my daughter. I had planned to take her to a free farm park (it's a dairy farm they have a cafe selling their ice cream) so I thought it would be a nice cheap day with an ice cream as a treat but no it decided to rain all day so ended up taking her to a play centre and buying lunch there - there goes £20! Other money was spent on a trip to the garden centre to buy the plants to make up the mother's day gifts - this came to £15.50 but included 12 little plants and some soil. So after our visit to the play centre we came home and decorated the pots and planted our plants

I've also had to come to terms with the fact I really need a new car and to get one means I'll have to increase my debt. I'll run this one until it gives up on me but I really don't think that will be long. The thought of having to up my debt depresses me but I need a car as I live 12 miles from work and public transport would take forever - there wouldn't be enough hours in the day! I've also decided I NEED to find a new job and a pay rise. I think the only way I'm going to be positive in busting this debt is if I increase my income and feel I have more money to chip away than just the min payments. Haven't heard anything from the application I put in the other week and it still says 'application being reviewed' although the application said interviews would be next week so I'm not holding my breath about that one.

Anyway, I better get on at work! Have a lovely day everyone!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,233Posts Today

6,854Users online

Martin's Twitter