Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Burnt Reynolds
    • By Burnt Reynolds 7th Nov 16, 2:53 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Burnt Reynolds
    PRA Group/Aktiv Capital - Broken Arrangement Letter
    • 7th Nov 16, 2:53 PM
    PRA Group/Aktiv Capital - Broken Arrangement Letter 7th Nov 16 at 2:53 PM
    Last week I had a number of missed calls from the PRA Group asking me to contact them and then over the weekend I received a letter with the title 'Broken Arrangement' advising that the payment plan I had entered in to with them has not been maintained and has now fallen in to arrears despite them referencing my last payment as being October 2016.

The debt they are referring to is one that they purchased from MBNA in February 2012 and to which I have been paying £60 a month without issue for nearly 5 years but suddenly I am now being told that the account is in arrears.

The original balance was £16k which is now down to £12k after my payments. I recently checked my Credit File and all history of the payments to Aktiv Capital seemed to have been wiped and the last payment for October is now listed under the PRA Group. Previously there was a specified amount listed against Aktiv Capital in regards to the monthly payment which is now missing from the PRA Group entry.

The letter also states that they are keen to help me reduce the balance of my account and that if I fail to contact them, collections activity, including letters and phone calls will recomence.

Does anyone have any ideas what they are playing at? I don't hear from them for nearly 5 years aside from the odd statement and then with just over 12 months to go until the default drops off my account they tell me I'm in arrears?
    Last edited by Burnt Reynolds; 07-11-2016 at 3:18 PM.
Page 2
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Nov 16, 1:02 PM
    • 11,159 Posts
    • 10,829 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Am I better though disputing their recent letter first and then asking for the CCA or asking for the CCA first?
    Originally posted by Burnt Reynolds
    No,

Ignore there attempts to contact you and go straight for the CCA.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Burnt Reynolds
    • By Burnt Reynolds 15th Nov 16, 10:51 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Burnt Reynolds
    That's my request for a copy of the CCA sent off today via record post. Now I wait.
    • Burnt Reynolds
    • By Burnt Reynolds 18th Nov 16, 9:46 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Burnt Reynolds
    The T&T on the Royal Mail website shows that this was signed for on 16/11/2016 so I'll wait and see what turns up next.

Still getting their stupid automated messages every day on my phone though.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 18th Nov 16, 1:29 PM
    • 11,159 Posts
    • 10,829 Thanks
    sourcrates
    The T&T on the Royal Mail website shows that this was signed for on 16/11/2016 so I'll wait and see what turns up next.

Still getting their stupid automated messages every day on my phone though.
    The 12 + 2 days, quoted for a response, are just guidelines.

You should expect a response soon saying they have received your request, and have forwarded it to the original creditor.

They may then take up to a couple of months to find, or reconstruct, the paperwork.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• Burnt Reynolds
    • By Burnt Reynolds 18th Nov 16, 2:53 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Burnt Reynolds
    The 12 + 2 days, quoted for a response, are just guidelines.

You should expect a response soon saying they have received your request, and have forwarded it to the original creditor.

They may then take up to a couple of months to find, or reconstruct, the paperwork.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    I'll wait and see what happens. Wouldn't it be ironic though if they couldn't produce the paperwork for something that was happily being paid back, and brought this on due to their greed for increased payments.
    • Burnt Reynolds
    • By Burnt Reynolds 24th Nov 16, 11:22 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Burnt Reynolds
    Standard Response received. Account/payments on hold pending provision of CCA.
    • Burnt Reynolds
    • By Burnt Reynolds 25th Jan 17, 11:28 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Burnt Reynolds
    An update on this. About a month after my request I received a signed copy of one page of the agreement and a letter confirming that payments were on hold until all additional paperwork that I am entitled see to has been provided.

As yet, I have heard nothing further and received no further daily telephone calls.

Is this normal?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 25th Jan 17, 11:43 AM
    • 11,159 Posts
    • 10,829 Thanks
    sourcrates
    An update on this. About a month after my request I received a signed copy of one page of the agreement and a letter confirming that payments were on hold until all additional paperwork that I am entitled see to has been provided.

As yet, I have heard nothing further and received no further daily telephone calls.

Is this normal?
    Yes, the account is unenforceable until they comply with your request for information.

• Burnt Reynolds
    • By Burnt Reynolds 25th Jan 17, 12:10 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Burnt Reynolds
    Yes, the account is unenforceable until they comply with your request for information.
    Thanks. What is the average timescale? I assume they haved asked the company they bought the debt from to provide the information and they're currently in the archive room rummaging through boxes?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 25th Jan 17, 12:41 PM
    • 11,159 Posts
    • 10,829 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thanks. What is the average timescale? I assume they haved asked the company they bought the debt from to provide the information and they're currently in the archive room rummaging through boxes?
    Your assumption is correct yes, it depends how long it takes them to find the paperwork, it's that simple.

Usually happens with two months.

• Burnt Reynolds
    • By Burnt Reynolds 25th Jan 17, 2:17 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Burnt Reynolds
    Your assumption is correct yes, it depends how long it takes them to find the paperwork, it's that simple.

Usually happens with two months.
    Ah ok, we're coming up to the 2 1/2 months mark so I'll expect something shortly.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 25th Jan 17, 4:07 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 5,104 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    Ah ok, we're coming up to the 2 1/2 months mark so I'll expect something shortly.
    It's quite possible you will never hear from the again. If they've realised there's nothing in it for them cash-wise, they will simply ignore you as writing to you will cost them £££'s.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • Burnt Reynolds
    • By Burnt Reynolds 25th Jan 17, 4:48 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Burnt Reynolds
    It's quite possible you will never hear from the again. If they've realised there's nothing in it for them cash-wise, they will simply ignore you as writing to you will cost them £££'s.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    And wouldn't that be nice.
    • rubyjam
    • By rubyjam 25th Jan 17, 5:21 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    rubyjam
    Hi Burnt, nothing to add to help but I'm watching this thread because I have a similar size debt with MBNA/Virgin/Aktiv (which is now with Pra) and have been paying it back for a similar length of time as you. Card was taken out in late 1990's in a shopping centre. I'm in a DMP and now considering going it alone and sending out CCA letters so I'm very interested to see how you get on. This is my biggest debt and if I could get rid of this one it would make a massive difference.

Are you making token payments or have you stopped paying them altogether?
    • Burnt Reynolds
    • By Burnt Reynolds 16th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Burnt Reynolds
    Hi Burnt, nothing to add to help but I'm watching this thread because I have a similar size debt with MBNA/Virgin/Aktiv (which is now with Pra) and have been paying it back for a similar length of time as you. Card was taken out in late 1990's in a shopping centre. I'm in a DMP and now considering going it alone and sending out CCA letters so I'm very interested to see how you get on. This is my biggest debt and if I could get rid of this one it would make a massive difference.

Are you making token payments or have you stopped paying them altogether?
    Originally posted by rubyjam

I have heard nothing since.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,071Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin