Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Socks0rs
    • By Socks0rs 6th Nov 16, 9:28 AM
    • 17Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Socks0rs
    UKPC Parking Charge - how to tackle?
    • 6th Nov 16, 9:28 AM
    UKPC Parking Charge - how to tackle? 6th Nov 16 at 9:28 AM
    Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone here who helped me out with a PCN from a few years back! After a series of letters in response to threads, they legal company dropped off the face of the earth and I haven't heard from them since

Unfortunately I'm back here once again having returned to my car the other night to discover a PC stuck to my windscreen :/

So... I went to the cinema the other night to watch Doctor Strange, and behind the cinema is a bunch of small industrial units where I always park.

I have been parking in these units behind the cinema for 10+ years, and have never received a ticket or anything. I only go to this particular cinema in the evening - when all the businesses are shut - and thus it seemed to me that parking here after business hours is A-okay... furthermore, based on how busy the car park gets during the evening, I assumed everyone else does the same.

Anyway, the parking ticket was issued at 20:59 on Saturday night (05/11) with the reason stated as "parked in a permit area without displaying valid permit", and the particular unit I was parked in belongs to Crossfit Cambridgeshire. Apparently I have to pay £100 if not paid in 14 days, and if within 14 days - £80... what a discount.

I've read the newbie sticky, but... I still wanna discuss the issue with you guys here and hone in on a specific course of action.

Additional notes:

The unit I parked in was pitch-fukin-black... not a drop of light illuminating anything (probably cos Crossfit is well and truly closed by that time on Saturday night)... is there maybe grounds to challenge the PCN on their signage not being clearly visible?

I don't do Crossfit, but... is it perhaps worth visiting Crossfit and asking them politely to help me out? I honest to God NEVER park in these areas during the day, cos I'm well aware they're operating businesses and my parking there would impede this.
    I was thinking that if I go to them and show them the PC and my receipt for the cinema, and just appeal to them on the grounds of human decency, they might help me out?
    I actually checked the Crossfit opening hours, and mon to thurs they are open until 9pm, Friday until 8pm, and Saturday until 1pm! So here's me with a ticket given in their unit at 20:59 on a Saturday night...
    I figure if i'm friendly and polite about it, there's a good chance they'll sympathize with the situation and help me to get it cancelled?

What do ya all reckon?

Anyway, I would appreciate any and all advice on my situation, and in particular how I should go about approaching all of this.

Thank you all you kindly.
Page 2
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 15th Mar 17, 10:55 AM
    • 6,732 Posts
    • 5,721 Thanks
    The Deep
    Know your enemy
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 48,455 Posts
    • 61,890 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Good news! My appeal won! Parking fine has been cancelled

Just thought I'd pop by here and thank everyone for their help and input; keep doing what you're doing.
    Originally posted by Socks0rs
    Great - the templates strike again! Thanks for confirming this worked v UKPC. What was the winning decision about, which point, or did UKPC give up?

So much easier than typing a POPLA appeal from scratch in most cases.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Socks0rs
    • By Socks0rs 15th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Socks0rs
    They didn't say... the decision was "based on the information i'd provided".

I think they just gave up... I guess that's the key psychology behind these dodgy parking fine companies - these guys want free and easy money, and the best deterrent is forcing them to work for it, thus they throw in the towel.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 48,455 Posts
    • 61,890 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yes that's them giving up! Good stuff.

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• zebrarose
    • By zebrarose 21st Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    zebrarose
    Hi Socks0rs
    Could you please post your full appeal email for me please.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 21st Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 48,455 Posts
    • 61,890 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Hi Socks0rs
    Could you please post your full appeal email for me please.
    Originally posted by zebrarose
    He doesn't need to, apart from uploading a photo, he says he used the first appeal template from post #1 of the NEWBIES thread, followed by the templates for POPLA appeal from post #3 of that same sticky thread.

That's why that thread is at the top, so most people can use the templates. No need to repeat them anywhere.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,468Posts Today

7,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin