Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 4th Nov 16, 5:35 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Cheap Pay-as-you-go Deals Article Discussion
    • 4th Nov 16, 5:35 PM
    Cheap Pay-as-you-go Deals Article Discussion 4th Nov 16 at 5:35 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheap Pay-as-you-go Sims guide

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
Page 1
    • Trekillo
    • By Trekillo 13th Jan 17, 11:03 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Trekillo
    • 13th Jan 17, 11:03 AM
    • 13th Jan 17, 11:03 AM
    Unable to acquire credit on the My3 web page (the site hangs when I tried to make a payment with two different credit cards). When I phone the My3 0800 number, I found it only accepts voucher cards. I will have to go to a Three shop, where only >£10 can be bought. So, the £5 option - which I would prefer - is effectively not available!
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 13th Jan 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 13th Jan 17, 11:15 AM
    • 13th Jan 17, 11:15 AM
    It would be useful to explain that inclusive calls cover
    - geographic numbers starting 01 & 02, except numbers allocated in CI & IoM,
    - non-geographic numbers starting 03,
    - mobile numbers starting 071-075 & 077-079, except numbers allocated in CI & IoM.

Inclusive allowances do not cover calls to premium rate numbers starting 070, 076, 084, 087, 09 or 118, nor do they cover calls to mobile shortcodes.

Calls to numbers starting 080 and 116 are free-to-caller.

Inclusive text allowances cover messages sent to geographic and mobile numbers, as above.

Inclusive allowances do not cover text messages sent to mobile shortcodes.

You can't send text messages to non-geographic numbers starting 03, 08 or 09.

Inclusive allowances do not cover sending MMS or messages with emojies and smilies.
    Last edited by Ian011; 13-01-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Jan 17, 1:15 PM
    • 6,396 Posts
    • 4,134 Thanks
    d123
    • 13th Jan 17, 1:15 PM
    • 13th Jan 17, 1:15 PM
    Unable to acquire credit on the My3 web page (the site hangs when I tried to make a payment with two different credit cards). When I phone the My3 0800 number, I found it only accepts voucher cards. I will have to go to a Three shop, where only >£10 can be bought. So, the £5 option - which I would prefer - is effectively not available!
    Originally posted by Trekillo
    Is it a fault? Have you considered phoning 333 for help?

The online top up system definitely accepts cards under normal circumstances as I've topped up a number of sims with both debit and credit cards.
    ====
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Jan 17, 4:47 PM
    • 6,396 Posts
    • 4,134 Thanks
    d123
    • 13th Jan 17, 4:47 PM
    • 13th Jan 17, 4:47 PM
    Originally posted by Trekillo
    I've just topped up a Three sim with £5 using My3. Worked first time with a Visa card...
    ====
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 13th Jan 17, 4:59 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    virgo17
    • 13th Jan 17, 4:59 PM
    • 13th Jan 17, 4:59 PM
    Yes. I made a £5 top up to a new 3 SIM earlier this afternoon. All went through OK.

Not sure what to suggest if you are experiencing an issue.
    • mrsplinter
    • By mrsplinter 4th Feb 17, 9:17 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    mrsplinter
    • 4th Feb 17, 9:17 AM
    • 4th Feb 17, 9:17 AM
    Last week I signed up with Plusnet mobile for their £10 a month 4GB deal for their broadband customers. The data halved if you left Plusnet broadband.

Yesterday I saw in the MSE article that they now offer this deal to non-broadband customers. I called customer services this morning and they are moving me to this deal at the end of the month. Which I am happy about, means I don't lose half of my data if I leave Plusnet.

Previously I was with iD which use the 3 network. Plusnet uses the EE network which is faster and has better overall coverage in my area.
    • BoxerRules
    • By BoxerRules 12th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    BoxerRules
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    What about 1pmobile?
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    I'm surprised there is no mention of "1pmobile" ( a simple search finds them ), who offer a SIM deal of 1p/minute+1p/text+1p/MB both in UK and abroad, and no credit expiry. For a low-user ( for phone calls) like me this is perfect, and I might even change my '3' SIM in my tablet, used mainly for data, here and in Europe.
    You do have to use the EE network, but compared to my previous Orange ( i.e. EE ) rate plan, this 1pmobile is heaps better. I can confirm I have no link to or interest in 1pmobile except as a customer who was a bit apprehensive about changing but is now convinced.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 12th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    I'm surprised there is no mention of "1pmobile" ( a simple search finds them ), who offer a SIM deal of 1p/minute+1p/text+1p/MB both in UK and abroad, and no credit expiry. For a low-user ( for phone calls) like me this is perfect, and I might even change my '3' SIM in my tablet, used mainly for data, here and in Europe.
    You do have to use the EE network, but compared to my previous Orange ( i.e. EE ) rate plan, this 1pmobile is heaps better. I can confirm I have no link to or interest in 1pmobile except as a customer who was a bit apprehensive about changing but is now convinced.
    Originally posted by BoxerRules
    1pMobile are great for many people, but not for very low users as you need to top up with £10 every 4 months to keep your credit alive.

However, for anyone who makes the equivalent of around 250 minutes worth of calls a month, they could well work out the cheapest option.
    • BoxerRules
    • By BoxerRules 13th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    BoxerRules
    The topup comment is valid, but they do offer an autotopup facility to automatically add,say,£10 every 120 days with any outstanding credit carried forward, so you won't lose it.Your phone use pattern will determine whether this works for you over the year. So far it seems to be working for me and offers me the best deal I could find. ( Repeat of no link to or interest in 1pmobile etc...)
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 13th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Atasas
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/best-pay-as-you-go-sim-cards?_ga=2.208109332.707210636.1499719230-2093267359.1495378859
    Originally posted by BoxerRules
    Concur-bit of an oversite by MSE
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 15th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    It would be useful to explain that inclusive calls cover....- mobile numbers starting 071-075 & 077-079, except numbers allocated in CI & IoM.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    Surely it depends on the location of the mobile when you call it, not on its origin? Or are you saying that calling a Manx no. whilst the owner is visiting the UK will be charged outside of your allowance?
    • d123
    • By d123 15th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 6,396 Posts
    • 4,134 Thanks
    d123
    Surely it depends on the location of the mobile when you call it, not on its origin? Or are you saying that calling a Manx no. whilst the owner is visiting the UK will be charged outside of your allowance?
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders
    The call is always charged by the number's origin and not where it is. How would a caller know that a phone is in a specific country or not?

If you are in the UK and call a Manx number it will always be outside your UK calls allowance, whether the Manx phone is on the Isle of Man, in the UK or in Australia.
    ====
    • blizeH
    • By blizeH 15th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    blizeH
    I was just considering switching from Giffagaff to Three for the cheap data, but now I've seen 1pMobile that's really tempting too.

How can they charge just 1p per minute for calls, texts and data, and also have 1p roaming in 48 countries too? They must be operating at a huge loss?

Edit: Ah! You have to top up £5 a month. Three it is then.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 15th Jul 17, 11:28 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    I was just considering switching from Giffagaff to Three for the cheap data, but now I've seen 1pMobile that's really tempting too.

How can they charge just 1p per minute for calls, texts and data, and also have 1p roaming in 48 countries too? They must be operating at a huge loss?

Edit: Ah! You have to top up £5 a month. Three it is then.
    Originally posted by blizeH
    It's £10 every 4 months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,590Posts Today

5,769Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin