Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    • 8,474Posts
    • 46,910Thanks
    Sue-UU
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10"
    • 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10" 4th Nov 16 at 12:10 AM
    Alright then Potters, it seems awe-inspiring that we're starting off with with "SPC "No 10"!!! Where have all the years gone since it first began! So very hard to believe that by the end of this year we'll have been going for a full decade!!!!

For all newcomers, yes "Old Timers" too - it's so very important to please read through this entire post to see what the SPC is all about, dates for counting up and our re-opening date etc.. However, please be sure to Join the forum first in order to be able to join the challenge - if you haven't already! For ALL SPC members, please chat away on this SPC 10 thread about your conquests, money-saving ideas etc from Post 4 onward, it gives encouragement to all, including yourselves as it keeps the motivation to save far stronger.

Hello yet again dedicated MSE Sealed Pot Savers! We're off once more with another Sealed Pot Challenge No 10. We've had 9 amazinly money-saving years, but it's all purely through the determined saving of you all - many thanks to you amazing folk who have made SPC what it is!!

For all newcomers - a really huge heartfelt welcome! We're a terrific bunch who just adore greeting more members to the flock. Please read through the whole of this post and you'll be aware of why SPC is so special. You all settle in straight away and become part of our saving family!

The idea is to save as much as possible throughout the following year until just before Christmas - which this year will be to open our pots on Thursday the 2nd November 2017. We save it in pots that we've pre-sealed to stop us being tempted to open them. Any spare cash can be put away, every day/week/month, whatever is best for you. If you have change left over after you've been shopping - pop it in the pot! After all why not! However small the change...the likelihood is that it won't be missed, and might otherwise have been wasted!

Most of us put the difference in that we've been saved on special offers etc, it's all saved at the shop so it makes sense to save it in the pot to mount up!

Below are the basics for making your pot and sealing.

Firstly: Get yourself a pot, and remember - it doesn't need to cost much - if anything. If money's tight then use any pot for now, i.e. A sweet tin, coffee jar..extremely MSE!! Next - seal it with sellotape and be sure to make a slit in the lid, big enough for a 50p to go in, that way all coins will fit in. Later on, if you wish, you can always take advantage of finding a cheap pot in the sales after Christmas, or put one you fancy on your Christmas list! You can always buy ready sealed tins from reasonably priced shops! They're usually about a POUND from a £ store!!

It can also be interesting and challenging to make yourself a Papier Mach! pig (or any animal) etc by using Frugaldom's recipe by clicking here then going to Post No. 597 or by going to a totally separate thread papier mach! animal here. Many thanks to Frugaldom.

After selecting your pot, seal round the lid with sellotape or superglue if necessary. Again, be sure to make a slit in the top that is the right size for a 50p to go in! NB. If you make a Papier Mach! pot you will need to "operate" on it at the end of each challenge! Still, you can always have the pleasure of making a new one towards the end of the year, or getting the kiddies involved - if you're the daring type! The mind could run riot with what to model!

Anyone wanting to show a picture of their pot on the thread, here are directions by jakes-mum: "Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account, click the orange 'upload' button at the top and select your picture from your computer. Once uploaded, select the picture and click 'edit' then 'resize' change the first size number to 400 and click save. On the right hand side click the link next to 'direct', come back here and click the little picture of the mountain above the reply box, delete out the http and right hand click, select paste and your link should get pasted in. When you post your reply your pic should be there and not absolutely massive". Many thanks, jakes-mum, you are a gem!

Terrimundi pots are available in many shops and on-line, they're very attractive and another ready sealed way to save, and though the manufacturers and retailers would have you believe differently, you DO NOT need to smash them to remove your cash!! I've used mine for 9 years...and at the end of each year's (since 2009 when I graduated from a carton!) challenge, hubby and I have a whale of a time, doing things the 'old' way by tilting the pot and using a knife! Though, a few years ago DH bought a 12" steel ruler in from the shed which is thin and broad and perfect for the job. So be assured that, so long as you go carefully, you CAN use them again and again....unless you drop the darned things!! They are costly though, but this is where your Christmas list comes in handy, though always keep a look out in charity shops too!

Regarding the Sealed Cans many of you use, apparently the best way to open the sealed tins is, rather than using a tin opener, squeeze the side of the tin, where the seam meets and you can pop the seal and tip the money out that way.

The term roadkill = any money found on pavements, parks etc; even in car parks or on shop floors etc.

NB. A few notes of interest.

1/ Any money given as a gift (other than Birthdays, Christmas etc) i.e.. Inherited can not be included as savings. Likewise any money put directly into the bank cannot be counted as savings with SPC. Money from small second jobs is ok, such as cleaning for Mrs Bloggs down the road/ taking in ironing, a part-time job or anything similar is ok to be saved. Any savings saved via Christmas Clubs can also be used in your SPC Totals, it's another way of saving for Christmas after all. Money received from cashback sites such as Quidco, topcashback etc can be included in your pots. Likewise, any money made from sales on E-Bay, Facebook or similar can be saved.

Also it's possible to include all other savings from MSE Challenges with your SPC Totals i.e. the £2 Challenge as, apparently they aren't put down on the challenge threads themselves. If you're unsure, please ask on the thread, and remember - there's no so thing as a stupid question!

Second incomes can come in many varied and very lucrative guises and anything such as that would be unfair to other members. Mostly the SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save during the year...mostly it's relatively small amounts which are saved from wages, housekeeping, good budgeting etc. Remunerations via the letting of second homes cannot be included in the SPC.

2/
    Whenever you're in the dilemma of "ooh should I buy that?" If you don't need it, but just want it - leave it there and pot the cash instead, you'll be much more satisfied with the accomplishment, pleased with your self-discipline too. All too often, if I go back a second time I find I didn't even like whatever it was anyway.

3/ You can ask me to put a Target on for you to try to meet (it goes alongside your name and number on the 2nd and 3rd posts below) but it's not necessary. If you do set one, but are unable to meet it, it doesn't matter at all, at least you will have tried! A few people keep account of all they save, but most of us count what we save daily or weekly, then put it on the thread to help encourage others then we pot it and forget about it and ....wait for the surprise at the end of the year! If you're hoping for a particular amount, but still want a surprise at the end of the saving year, work out what amount you'd like and what's needed per week to achieve it - save that amount weekly/monthly as well as still putting your bits of change in without holding the amounts in your head - you're bound to come out on top that way and still get a surprise!

Please don't worry about the amounts others save! There are such differences with jobs, wages, commitments etc so some naturally find large sums easy to save, while others of us don't. However, it's the pleasure that counts - so be happy with yours, proud too, and remember it's NOT a contest!!

4/ Mainly SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save in a year for Christmas 2017. However, over the last 9 years we've had some members who needed theirs throughout the year for bills, and personally I'd far sooner they take the cash out for that than pay more interest or...miss a due date! You can always start again, even if it's getting later in the year, you can even include what you needed to take out, after all, you will have saved it. Whatever you need to do, don't worry about it - be happy and proud you have saved!

5/ If you wish to save for something special, a holiday, wedding etc then please do so, just please remember to declare it on November 2nd. The most important thing, is that you are saving ...and hopefully not tempted to take it out unnecessarily. If anyone has any other queries, then please sing out...though not too loudly.....you might shatter your pot/s!

6/ At the end of the year (or when we've saved for what we wish) count up all your money saved and declare your Total either by waiting until the declaration date - or (if you've needed your cash for other things - by putting your Total on your MSE signature to remind you to include it in your full Total; that particularly applies to those using their money for holidays etc, but PLEASE remember to return to the thread on the 2nd November to declare those Totals to me. Some members prefer not to keep too much money in the house and count theirs up every now and then to bank it, in which case they always pop the amount banked on their MSE signatures.

7/ DO KEEP YOUR POT or POTS SAFE!! If you hide it, be sure to remember where you put it as it wouldn't be the first time that members have forgotten where they've hidden it!

8/ "Holding Pots": To anyone concerned about putting money into their pot...then possibly needing it later in the week/month: Why not use an unsealed pot or purse as a "holding pot" and pop the money in there first each day/week/month - then, if it's not needed (for car parking costs, little Johnnies school trip etc) - put it in your Sealed pot so it stays put. Do that each week and it'll save you taking money from the bank. Discipline yourself to only take what's needed though!

9/ "Where to take bags of cash at the end of the year?": With regards to this all important question, here's vital help from girlatplay: "I bank with Bank of Scotland and they accept as many change bags as you have, as long as you take them to the business banking counter." That is so handy for members to know, many thanks to GAP. This applies to many banks, I suspect most banks/building societies are the same if truth be known.

10/ Members who do not return by the end of November of any year will sadly now lose their numbers as, many people who sign up to the challenge then don't bother returning! To be fair, I think a lot get swept up in the excitement of it all, but then, for one reason of another, can't or don't wish to keep it up, but that then leaves me with a long list of non savers on the list which makes things very difficult over time. Sorry folks, but any saving members won't be at all worried about this - but if those 'defaulting' (bad word, but...!) members remember then - come on back and ask for another number, they will always be be more than welcome!

On the 2 posts below is a list of members and their numbers, always display your No on your signatures please, that makes life so much easier for me and my DH when counting up all of our Totals. In December or thereabouts I declare the Grand Total of ALL that we members have collected, what a terrific sight that is! Please declare yours savings ASAP on or close to the 2nd November, many thanks.

Just a quiet word of warning to all those in the Cambridge area - forget ever thinking of looking for roadkill there as jakes-mum will even tackle you the ground to get to it first! Think I'm joking??

Once again, we've just had another truly amazing year, let's keep it up and see what we can achieve this year. Good luck everyone and save well!!

PLEASE take note everyone Thursday 2nd Nov is the closing date for 2017, the day we declare what we've saved on the thread, kindly declare your monies saved within 2 weeks of the 2nd, thank you kindly.

Anyone wishing to join us please post on the thread to ask and I'll give you a number and an official welcome so you can join in the fun......and please do note that...time means any time of year!

It's Never Too Late To Join Us! and You Never Need To Re-join....well, unless you stop visiting us in November! However.......you can always return to the fold and be made very welcome!

Many thanks for reading
    , Sue x
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 04-11-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!
    2015 = £52.852.06! 2016= £52, 002.40!!!

Page 85
    • Chutney86
    • By Chutney86 12th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 2,268 Thanks
    Chutney86
    £4 potted for me today
    SPC #23 - 2015 = £319.60 / 2016 = £315.50
    MFW #93 - 2017 = £1109.59/£1500
    MFiT-T4 #28
    • better_times
    • By better_times 13th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    better_times
    £6 in my tin today all my tips from delivering pizzas tonight
    Sealed Pot Challenge 441
    Loan £35,000 February 17/£31,604.16 to date
    Step Change £12908.56
    July focus Food
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 13th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Hello, you lovely lot!

Some excellent potting has been occurring, well done everyone.

Thank you for all the support and encouragement - I'm pleased to report I am a whole 9lb lighter after my first week at SW! I am amazed and delighted. I'm particularly pleased as I had a few very cloudy days this week and yet I managed to stick 100% to the healthy eating, drinking and walking. This showed me that I must have hope for the future even in the darkest times. The clouds have started to lift but I'm just going to keep going with my one minute at a time method and take each day as it comes. And I think I need to take your advice and book a little break away to look forward to. Will give me something to work towards, and life is as you all rightly say far too short.

My Help To Buy ISA has successfully transferred into my new Lifetime ISA (I did as The Wise One said and transferred it ASAP before they changed their minds about allowing last year's money in!) The closure of my Help To Buy ISA netted me a cool £55.92 in interest (not bad since the account anniversary of 17th February) so I feel like I'm in the money today! Of course, I will need to even that up, but it was very welcome all the same!

Right, I'd better go and update my signature accordingly!

Oh, and potting news! I've managed to do some swapsies with Mother to the tune of £15 of pot money, and I withdrew a cheeky fiver today to add to the pot too. It's looking nice and fat and healthy - as I shed lbs, I will happily feed up my pot until it's morbidly obese!

Lots of love to you all, particularly those for whom there may also be clouds xxx
    Flat Deposit Fund - £26,667/£30,000
    Emergency Fund - £450/£3,000
    SPC 10 (Number 138) - Target £1,000 for the Emergency Fund

SW Journey - 9.5lb gone, 5st 4.5lb to go!
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 14th Jul 17, 10:40 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    OMG, so I just had a total pot victory that I know only you guys will understand. There I was at the train station, paying for my £9.50 train ticket with a £20 note in the self-service machine and looking forward to having a big bunch of old £1 coins that I could hopefully trade with Mumma later for lovely pot money. And then something wonderful happened. The machine has obviously been brought into the age of the new and shiny £1 coin, for I watched in amazement as 10 of the beauties clinked their way into the change slot all ready to be rehomed in my pot! Now your boring, non-potting folk would not understand the significance of such a moment (alas, I fear they may never know such an exhilarating feeling) but I knew you lot would. Yay for pot victories

Happy Friday to you all, I hope it also brings you some sunshine and some pot money xxx

• AntoMac
    • By AntoMac 15th Jul 17, 7:18 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    AntoMac
    Cazzie, What a fantastic start you have made to SW. Very well done. As for your luck with all those pound coins, yes only a true SPC-er knows how exciting that can be. Same sort of luck for you as well siju.
    better-times, what a great idea to pot your pizza tips. If you can do that regularly it will really mount up.
    Quiet week for me potting-wise but some weeks are like that. Uncle's funeral went well and made my Mum feel better. Had a good chat with one of his lifelong friends who approached me saying I must be a relative as I look just like him (Can't see it myself - His daughters and grandchildren are much more like him imo) and heard some lovely stories of great times they had together. Me and my sister felt like we made a new friend and we're going to take Uncle's wife over to see him and his wife soon.
    Great potting everyone. Keep it up. It all adds up.
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 46

27/5/17 Mortgage 64,705 Bal Tfrs 19,040
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 17th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 8,474 Posts
    • 46,910 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    A very happy Monday to all!
    Good morning all Sealed Potters! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend filled with happiness and are now looking forward to a productive week. Ah well Wimbledon is all over for another year, but what a fortnight it's been and ending with brilliant women's and men's finals as well as the Doubles and Wheelchair Tennis!! Yesterday's match with Roger and Marin was splendid and although I wanted Roger to win I wouldn't have minded at all if Marin had as he's been great throughout but I'm so pleased Roger fulfilled his dream of an 8th win!!!!!

Anyway back to reality now eh Lynne!
    To all those of you unwell or with other problems, all very best wishes to you all that you will soon be feeling so much better!

Well done Florence in keeping up with your savings...

...you also Chutney!!

I have some good
    Originally posted by siju
    news for any Santander customers - I called at the bank to pay in a few bags of old pound coins and the teller informed me that they are now accepting unlimited bags of coins as long as they are filled with the same denominations (it was previously no more than 5 bags at a time). Makes banking our SPC money so much easier!

I called at the butchers today and he apologised for not having any £5 notes - "Ooh brilliant" I said - he did look at me rather strangely, but I know other potters will know exactly what I mean. Therefore, I have £10.57 to pot today, yippee!
    Originally posted by siju

Oh siju, I know exactly what you mean about the reactions of some of us at the butchers or anyone else not having any of the new £5 notes! I think I'd have shouted HALLELUJAH quite gleefully!!!!! Please tell me it's not true that they're doing the same with £10s and £20s. My DGD was saying they're doing away with 2ps & 1ps... surely that can't be the case!!!!

Marvellous news from Santander about us being able to take unlimited bags for them to swap!!!! At last someone's listening and seeing the sense of doing so! Well done Santander!!!!

£6 in my tin today all my tips from delivering pizzas tonight
    Originally posted by better_times

Excellent work better_times as £6 is an amazing amount of tips in a day!!!!

Wonderful news Cazzie! A 9lb weight loss in a week is brilliant and it's allowing your endorphins to kick in and lifting your spirits as a result!!! Keep up the wonderful work!!!

More good news that you are having a break too, something great to look look forward to!! Marvellous interest earned and potting done too! You're doing so well Cazzie, every reason to be so very proud of yourself!!!

Isn't it marvellous Ant how very often even at sad events such as funerals some happiness still filters through from those we haven't seen for years or relatives and folk we've never met can come up with stories and so forth of the one we're saying goodbye to! I'm delighted your Aunt now has something to look forward to as well as she'll need a lot of help bless her.

Enjoy your Monday, SPCers. Keep filling those pots!!!

Sue xx

2nd November is the opening date for 2017.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!
    2015 = £52.852.06! 2016= £52, 002.40!!!

• Westie983
    • By Westie983 17th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,730 Thanks
    Westie983
    siju, I know exactly what you mean about the reactions of some of us at the butchers or anyone else not having any of the new £5 notes! I think I'd have shouted HALLELUJAH quite gleefully!!!!! Please tell me it's not true that they're doing the same with £10s and £20s.
    Originally posted by Sue-UU
    Sadly its is true, the £10 will change sometime late summer with the £20 by 2020, no plans for £50 though as they have only just changed.

I have not got any potting news, I have just got back from a fantastic evening at London 2017, I was right in front of Mr Jonny Peacock himself after he won his gold!!! its was an amazing atmosphere, just not as good as London 2012, but I am bias as I was a gamesmaker and slightly annoyed I never got through to be a runner at the games, I will enjoy being a spectator instead. Im back next weekend, and then opening night of the IAMF to watch Mo Farah run his last race.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total £15130/£12000 126.08%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (£252) +£158/£500 = 82.00% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £250/£365 = 68.49%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1050/£1000 = 105.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (£1450)+£50/£2000 = 75.00%

Total £18340/£15865 = 115.60%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • TheCatsandDogsMother
    • By TheCatsandDogsMother 18th Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    TheCatsandDogsMother
    My potting has been really slow lately, I have been throwing everything I have at the credit card and finally have it down to under $2000! Hopefully by the end of the year (or before) I will have it all paid up. I have been potting all my $2 coins though.
    I also owe money on my taxes so will have to see what that comes to when they send out the bill, trying not to stress to much (which is difficult).
    When ALL of that is paid up I need to save up for a car, mine is dying a very slow and smokey death and had been given 12 months max to live (unless I want to pay $6000 to fix him whan i only paid $3000 for him).
    On another note I decided to have a nice relaxing bath tonight only to have my dog jump in and join me... it wasn't so relaxing after that haha
    Number 495
    • moneymanager
    • By moneymanager 18th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    moneymanager
    Hi everyone, I haven't done an update at all this year but hoping I will be making more of an efford to get on and do so.

This week I managed to pot a total of £9.42 into my sealed pot and added £20 to my Tesco Christmas Saver. Quite chuffed with that.
    SPC10 #283: £46.18/£150 | £2 #58: £22 | 50p #27: £0.50 | 20p: £1.00 | ROADKILL: £0.05
    2017: TESCO CHRISTMAS SAVER: £30/£200 TESCOS VOUCHERS: £21.50 BONUS: £0 TOTAL £0
    Prolific Academic: £0/£9.90 | VSP #50: £30.76
    Tesco CC: £6,773.83 CAT: £104.98 | FAMILY: £115 = £6,993.81
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 18th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    Hi all

I'm back from my jollies, and survived my first week back at work - just. I was actually more exhausted last Friday than I was the day I finished for my hols!!

That's good news about Santander - I've never understood a bank putting restrictions on paying coins in. After all is that not what they're there for? I remember one year when I was sharing out our lottery winnings, I asked for 28 £1 coins and was told (on a busy weekday lunchtime) that they didn't have enough to give me.... It will certainly help as my local branch of the Yorkshire is closing/has closed, where they would accept anything and it beats dragging bags of cash into town when I have a Santander in the shopping centre down the road.

Quite proud of the fact that I didn't draw any cash out of the bank while we were on holiday. I had collected a bit of cash before we went, through various people paying me back for things and/or having already drawn it out of the bank previously, some shopping went on the debit/credit card but other than that, I was good. So good in fact that I transferred £150 from my 'spending' account into my savings before payday - which is today. Also, my friend who I loaned last year's accumulated savings to, has paid me back so my savings account has its healthy balance back.

Having the dog meant our activities were restricted and the weather was rubbish in the first week so for the first time ever we spent a lot of time doing nothing. Fortunately we've also been to the area before so it wasn't like we had to go out and explore somewhere new, so I only took about 30 photos - and they mainly featured the dog in the sea or on the beach. She was very well behaved despite having to be kept on a lead, and made lots of friends of the two-legged and four-legged variety. In fact, hubby said she was a bit of a babe magnet as people - mainly women - kept coming to talk to him because of the dog I'm not great at just doing nothing, and when you consider there was no TV signal for those of us in tents with no satellite, and no WiFi signal, we managed really well with just a radio (which we bought while we were there, and our gadgets). That said, my mobile data bills are going to be big this month as the signal for that was brilliant!! We did have the TV with us, and I can connect my iPod to it so it did mean I got to subject hubby to 3 episodes of Sherlock over the course of the 10 days

Anyhow, it's been so long I didn't even realise I had a few in my purse but I've just put £12 in £2s into the pot, and my Quido balance is up to £78.43 for the year so far
    Last edited by MrsShazbat; 18-07-2017 at 8:35 PM.
    PAYDBX 2017 #71 £1194.54 / £3053.49 * Xmas 2017 #8 £217 / £365 * (2016 £424.32 / £366)
    * SPCNo.10 #66 (SPCNo.9 £442.64 inc Quidco to 2/11/16 £138.92 *
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 18th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 17,479 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

I have just come back from a short break. 3 nights at the seaside with my friends. It rained on Sunday but Friday, Saturday and yesterday were lovely.

£2.26 potted today.

I hope everyone is well.

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 19th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 4,250 Posts
    • 41,194 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Good Moooooooooooooooooorning potters!

Well, I tried to visit yesterday and MSe had decided to boot me out have I offended Mr Lewis? first time in 11 years I wasn't automatically signed in Then my password wouldn't work and then when trying to reset said password, it turns out my email is set up for one I closed over 8 years ago BUT tried again today and it logged straight in soooo have updated my email just in case it should randomly happen again and im back and chatty

What have I been up too well I have changed another £800 from the savings tub into dollars so will update my siggy in just a meeny miney moe.

DS is currently thousands of miles above the ground on his way to a diving holiday with his grandad, so taking the opportunity to get into his pit of a bedroom and throw away anything I feel is unnecessary (he was warned it would happen if he didn't clean it up! And as he left for his holiday with his night before dinner plate still on the bedroom floor I took that as a solid confirmation that he agreed with my plan).

Potting the odd bit of change here and there, had a nice stream of new £1 and £2 coins so the gold tin is looking a fair bit healthier but still isn't even half full, I know this is because of how many notes ive been saving for dollars, but still makes me sad that its not as full as normal

I think thats pretty much all my ramblings! so I better toddle off and go trash DS's bedroom have a wonderful wednesday everyone, and if you haven't heard from me in the next 3 - 4 days, send a rescue team as I may be trapped under an avalanche of his dirty clothes
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £1300/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 19th Jul 17, 11:38 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,730 Thanks
    Westie983
    DS is currently thousands of miles above the ground on his way to a diving holiday with his grandad,
    Originally posted by jakes-mum
    Oooh where is you DS off too? I am also a scuba diver, with lots of dives under my belt, sadly not dived since 2013, as I had my hip replaced in 2014 and haven't felt dive fit yet...

I also had to log in yesterday, but I had saved my password on my laptop so I just clicked and it auto logged in again.

Maybe we all had to do the same.

Westie983

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 19th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Hello gorgeous potters!

What lovely tales of happy holidays, weekends by the seaside, and major dollar obtaining! And of course potting!

I've not been able to pot too much recently being on half pay, and am currently living a very frugal lifestyle with just £6.74 left in my bank account after monthly outgoings to take me to pay day on 29th, but fortunately I don't have too many expensive plans in the coming weeks! Payroll as always showed their ineptitude at mathematics (I wouldn't have thought usual salary divided by two would be particularly difficult, but clearly I forgot who I was dealing with) so they overpaid me by £200 last month. So I swiftly opened a new e-savings account and popped it in there before I found things to spend it on (or it slid into my pot!) for when they decide they want it back. Bless their little frazzled brains and broken calculators...

The Mothership has just acquired a few beautiful new £1 coins so I'm off to raid my shrapnel tins in the hope I can swapsie! I'm also incredibly excited by the prospect of the new £10 notes coming soon - they will qualify as pot money in Cazzie land so I can't wait to get my hands on some of those!

Keep up the potting, peoples, and we'll be on for that supersonic total this year! Love to you all, and I hope the sun is shining for you in every way xxx
    Last edited by CazzieLT; 20-07-2017 at 5:53 PM.

• jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 19th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 4,250 Posts
    • 41,194 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Oooh where is you DS off too? I am also a scuba diver, with lots of dives under my belt, sadly not dived since 2013, as I had my hip replaced in 2014 and haven't felt dive fit yet...
    Originally posted by Westie983
    They are sunning themselves in Menorca This is DS's very first dive expedition so very exciting as before this he's only dived in the lake, hopefully it will be as awesome as Grandad has been telling him it is and we are also hoping he does his advanced diving while he's out there as it was the same money as over here but a darned sight warmer! (despite all this amazing weather, the lake seems to never hold any heat!)
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £1300/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 19th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 48,718 Posts
    • 567,268 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Been along time since i have been here but still potting
    Cazzie well done at slimming world, i lost 9/12lb first week too my help is plan,plan , plan what yoou are going to eat, i always know today whaat we are having tomorrow, i really wanted 3 stone this week but my sister that lost her hubby 18 months ago moved at the weekend so have been crazily busy and i ate 2 white bacon rolls first white bread since i started.
    There is a SW thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5674098&page=18
    Everyone is friendly and helpful if you need help
    Hope everyone else is ok?
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 stone week 17
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 19th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,730 Thanks
    Westie983
    They are sunning themselves in Menorca This is DS's very first dive expedition so very exciting as before this he's only dived in the lake, hopefully it will be as awesome as Grandad has been telling him it is and we are also hoping he does his advanced diving while he's out there as it was the same money as over here but a darned sight warmer! (despite all this amazing weather, the lake seems to never hold any heat!)
    Originally posted by jakes-mum
    Thats how I did it, I learnt to dive in Cyprus, and yes the water is a lot warmer then here, but I must say I wish I had sometimes done it the other way round as now I cant compare how cold the UK water is that I have become whats known as a tea bag diver, (only dive in warm weather)

I have dived in Menorca, so I'm sure he will have a blast, nice and easy without much currents, and a few resident sea horses, which are always nice to see...

Westie983

• 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 20th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 17,479 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

£4.53 potted today and £1 potted yesterday.

I hope everyone is well.

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • Chutney86
    • By Chutney86 20th Jul 17, 10:38 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 2,268 Thanks
    Chutney86
    £2 potted for me today
    SPC #23 - 2015 = £319.60 / 2016 = £315.50
    MFW #93 - 2017 = £1109.59/£1500
    MFiT-T4 #28
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 20th Jul 17, 11:54 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 11,781 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Here I am!!
    Life is soooooooooo busy,especially the last 2 weeks,with end of term stuff.It is only so thinly I can spread myself between 4 kids' school events/after school stuff/fairs/mum's taxi-ing...........
    Anyway,to cheer myself up a bit,I potted the 19 x £2 coins that have been weighing down my handbag over the last few weeks .
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00
    Pinecone £289,Valued Opinions £10.50,Grocery Challenge June 17: £50.68/250

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin