Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    • 8,474Posts
    • 46,910Thanks
    Sue-UU
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10"
    • 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10" 4th Nov 16 at 12:10 AM
    Alright then Potters, it seems awe-inspiring that we're starting off with with "SPC "No 10"!!! Where have all the years gone since it first began! So very hard to believe that by the end of this year we'll have been going for a full decade!!!!

For all newcomers, yes "Old Timers" too - it's so very important to please read through this entire post to see what the SPC is all about, dates for counting up and our re-opening date etc.. However, please be sure to Join the forum first in order to be able to join the challenge - if you haven't already! For ALL SPC members, please chat away on this SPC 10 thread about your conquests, money-saving ideas etc from Post 4 onward, it gives encouragement to all, including yourselves as it keeps the motivation to save far stronger.

Hello yet again dedicated MSE Sealed Pot Savers! We're off once more with another Sealed Pot Challenge No 10. We've had 9 amazinly money-saving years, but it's all purely through the determined saving of you all - many thanks to you amazing folk who have made SPC what it is!!

For all newcomers - a really huge heartfelt welcome! We're a terrific bunch who just adore greeting more members to the flock. Please read through the whole of this post and you'll be aware of why SPC is so special. You all settle in straight away and become part of our saving family!

The idea is to save as much as possible throughout the following year until just before Christmas - which this year will be to open our pots on Thursday the 2nd November 2017. We save it in pots that we've pre-sealed to stop us being tempted to open them. Any spare cash can be put away, every day/week/month, whatever is best for you. If you have change left over after you've been shopping - pop it in the pot! After all why not! However small the change...the likelihood is that it won't be missed, and might otherwise have been wasted!

Most of us put the difference in that we've been saved on special offers etc, it's all saved at the shop so it makes sense to save it in the pot to mount up!

Below are the basics for making your pot and sealing.

Firstly: Get yourself a pot, and remember - it doesn't need to cost much - if anything. If money's tight then use any pot for now, i.e. A sweet tin, coffee jar..extremely MSE!! Next - seal it with sellotape and be sure to make a slit in the lid, big enough for a 50p to go in, that way all coins will fit in. Later on, if you wish, you can always take advantage of finding a cheap pot in the sales after Christmas, or put one you fancy on your Christmas list! You can always buy ready sealed tins from reasonably priced shops! They're usually about a POUND from a £ store!!

It can also be interesting and challenging to make yourself a Papier Mach! pig (or any animal) etc by using Frugaldom's recipe by clicking here then going to Post No. 597 or by going to a totally separate thread papier mach! animal here. Many thanks to Frugaldom.

After selecting your pot, seal round the lid with sellotape or superglue if necessary. Again, be sure to make a slit in the top that is the right size for a 50p to go in! NB. If you make a Papier Mach! pot you will need to "operate" on it at the end of each challenge! Still, you can always have the pleasure of making a new one towards the end of the year, or getting the kiddies involved - if you're the daring type! The mind could run riot with what to model!

Anyone wanting to show a picture of their pot on the thread, here are directions by jakes-mum: "Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account, click the orange 'upload' button at the top and select your picture from your computer. Once uploaded, select the picture and click 'edit' then 'resize' change the first size number to 400 and click save. On the right hand side click the link next to 'direct', come back here and click the little picture of the mountain above the reply box, delete out the http and right hand click, select paste and your link should get pasted in. When you post your reply your pic should be there and not absolutely massive". Many thanks, jakes-mum, you are a gem!

Terrimundi pots are available in many shops and on-line, they're very attractive and another ready sealed way to save, and though the manufacturers and retailers would have you believe differently, you DO NOT need to smash them to remove your cash!! I've used mine for 9 years...and at the end of each year's (since 2009 when I graduated from a carton!) challenge, hubby and I have a whale of a time, doing things the 'old' way by tilting the pot and using a knife! Though, a few years ago DH bought a 12" steel ruler in from the shed which is thin and broad and perfect for the job. So be assured that, so long as you go carefully, you CAN use them again and again....unless you drop the darned things!! They are costly though, but this is where your Christmas list comes in handy, though always keep a look out in charity shops too!

Regarding the Sealed Cans many of you use, apparently the best way to open the sealed tins is, rather than using a tin opener, squeeze the side of the tin, where the seam meets and you can pop the seal and tip the money out that way.

The term roadkill = any money found on pavements, parks etc; even in car parks or on shop floors etc.

NB. A few notes of interest.

1/ Any money given as a gift (other than Birthdays, Christmas etc) i.e.. Inherited can not be included as savings. Likewise any money put directly into the bank cannot be counted as savings with SPC. Money from small second jobs is ok, such as cleaning for Mrs Bloggs down the road/ taking in ironing, a part-time job or anything similar is ok to be saved. Any savings saved via Christmas Clubs can also be used in your SPC Totals, it's another way of saving for Christmas after all. Money received from cashback sites such as Quidco, topcashback etc can be included in your pots. Likewise, any money made from sales on E-Bay, Facebook or similar can be saved.

Also it's possible to include all other savings from MSE Challenges with your SPC Totals i.e. the £2 Challenge as, apparently they aren't put down on the challenge threads themselves. If you're unsure, please ask on the thread, and remember - there's no so thing as a stupid question!

Second incomes can come in many varied and very lucrative guises and anything such as that would be unfair to other members. Mostly the SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save during the year...mostly it's relatively small amounts which are saved from wages, housekeeping, good budgeting etc. Remunerations via the letting of second homes cannot be included in the SPC.

2/
    Whenever you're in the dilemma of "ooh should I buy that?" If you don't need it, but just want it - leave it there and pot the cash instead, you'll be much more satisfied with the accomplishment, pleased with your self-discipline too. All too often, if I go back a second time I find I didn't even like whatever it was anyway.

3/ You can ask me to put a Target on for you to try to meet (it goes alongside your name and number on the 2nd and 3rd posts below) but it's not necessary. If you do set one, but are unable to meet it, it doesn't matter at all, at least you will have tried! A few people keep account of all they save, but most of us count what we save daily or weekly, then put it on the thread to help encourage others then we pot it and forget about it and ....wait for the surprise at the end of the year! If you're hoping for a particular amount, but still want a surprise at the end of the saving year, work out what amount you'd like and what's needed per week to achieve it - save that amount weekly/monthly as well as still putting your bits of change in without holding the amounts in your head - you're bound to come out on top that way and still get a surprise!

Please don't worry about the amounts others save! There are such differences with jobs, wages, commitments etc so some naturally find large sums easy to save, while others of us don't. However, it's the pleasure that counts - so be happy with yours, proud too, and remember it's NOT a contest!!

4/ Mainly SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save in a year for Christmas 2017. However, over the last 9 years we've had some members who needed theirs throughout the year for bills, and personally I'd far sooner they take the cash out for that than pay more interest or...miss a due date! You can always start again, even if it's getting later in the year, you can even include what you needed to take out, after all, you will have saved it. Whatever you need to do, don't worry about it - be happy and proud you have saved!

5/ If you wish to save for something special, a holiday, wedding etc then please do so, just please remember to declare it on November 2nd. The most important thing, is that you are saving ...and hopefully not tempted to take it out unnecessarily. If anyone has any other queries, then please sing out...though not too loudly.....you might shatter your pot/s!

6/ At the end of the year (or when we've saved for what we wish) count up all your money saved and declare your Total either by waiting until the declaration date - or (if you've needed your cash for other things - by putting your Total on your MSE signature to remind you to include it in your full Total; that particularly applies to those using their money for holidays etc, but PLEASE remember to return to the thread on the 2nd November to declare those Totals to me. Some members prefer not to keep too much money in the house and count theirs up every now and then to bank it, in which case they always pop the amount banked on their MSE signatures.

7/ DO KEEP YOUR POT or POTS SAFE!! If you hide it, be sure to remember where you put it as it wouldn't be the first time that members have forgotten where they've hidden it!

8/ "Holding Pots": To anyone concerned about putting money into their pot...then possibly needing it later in the week/month: Why not use an unsealed pot or purse as a "holding pot" and pop the money in there first each day/week/month - then, if it's not needed (for car parking costs, little Johnnies school trip etc) - put it in your Sealed pot so it stays put. Do that each week and it'll save you taking money from the bank. Discipline yourself to only take what's needed though!

9/ "Where to take bags of cash at the end of the year?": With regards to this all important question, here's vital help from girlatplay: "I bank with Bank of Scotland and they accept as many change bags as you have, as long as you take them to the business banking counter." That is so handy for members to know, many thanks to GAP. This applies to many banks, I suspect most banks/building societies are the same if truth be known.

10/ Members who do not return by the end of November of any year will sadly now lose their numbers as, many people who sign up to the challenge then don't bother returning! To be fair, I think a lot get swept up in the excitement of it all, but then, for one reason of another, can't or don't wish to keep it up, but that then leaves me with a long list of non savers on the list which makes things very difficult over time. Sorry folks, but any saving members won't be at all worried about this - but if those 'defaulting' (bad word, but...!) members remember then - come on back and ask for another number, they will always be be more than welcome!

On the 2 posts below is a list of members and their numbers, always display your No on your signatures please, that makes life so much easier for me and my DH when counting up all of our Totals. In December or thereabouts I declare the Grand Total of ALL that we members have collected, what a terrific sight that is! Please declare yours savings ASAP on or close to the 2nd November, many thanks.

Just a quiet word of warning to all those in the Cambridge area - forget ever thinking of looking for roadkill there as jakes-mum will even tackle you the ground to get to it first! Think I'm joking??

Once again, we've just had another truly amazing year, let's keep it up and see what we can achieve this year. Good luck everyone and save well!!

PLEASE take note everyone Thursday 2nd Nov is the closing date for 2017, the day we declare what we've saved on the thread, kindly declare your monies saved within 2 weeks of the 2nd, thank you kindly.

Anyone wishing to join us please post on the thread to ask and I'll give you a number and an official welcome so you can join in the fun......and please do note that...time means any time of year!

It's Never Too Late To Join Us! and You Never Need To Re-join....well, unless you stop visiting us in November! However.......you can always return to the fold and be made very welcome!

Many thanks for reading
    , Sue x
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 04-11-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!
    2015 = £52.852.06! 2016= £52, 002.40!!!

Page 84
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 4th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Gosh, haven't you all been busy!? Brilliant potting, jakes-mum getting all creative (I'm thinking new income stream!?), and all generally being wonderful humans. Sending love to you Frogletina, you are doing a wonderful job together with your DDs and I hope you are taking good care of yourself too. And to our resident fallers, I hope those bruises have been through all the colours of the rainbow and are disappearing along with the aches and pains!

Not much to report here in the way of potting, although the sun is very much continuing to shine for Cazzie and I am enjoying every single moment! (Antomac, I hope you are also enjoying a King Of The World period!) Sadly ERNIE didn't deliver again this month... (I can practically hear Martin saying I told you so!) But we live in hope for that cheeky big win! I don't want the million, just ten grand would do nicely! (Actually, £25 would do nicely!) So I will continue to comp and sell and pot and just hope that this sunshine will last and I can get back to work soon and start earning a living again!

Popping to the shops soon so hoping for a bit of change for the pot, but as money is tight at the moment I'm keeping my fivers separate and if I make it to the end of the month in good shape, then they can join the pot too. I'm also heading back to fat club this week, so I apologise in advance for my sugar-withdrawal-induced misery, but I am looking forward to no longer struggling doing up my shoelaces

Love and squishy hugs to all those who need a pick-me-up, and if anyone is having troubles of any kind, never forget that we are all here to listen. I love my pot family

Happy Tuesday and keeeeeeeeep potting! xxx
    Last edited by CazzieLT; 04-07-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    Flat Deposit Fund - £26,667/£30,000
    Emergency Fund - £450/£3,000
    SPC 10 (Number 138) - Target £1,000 for the Emergency Fund

SW Journey - 9.5lb gone, 5st 4.5lb to go!
    • siju
    • By siju 4th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    siju
    Just popping on to say I've got £3.51 to put in my pot today.

We've been infested with flies in work the last 2 days - I'm getting a dab hand at swatting!!!!!
    SPC 9 - #192
    Totals: 2014 - £264.51 2015 - £207.50 2016 - £396.79
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 4th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 8,474 Posts
    • 46,910 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    A very happy week to you all
    Hi Potters I hope you're all enjoying a good week! I've not got a lot to say....so I'l keep quiet!!
    To all those of you unwell or poorly in any way, here's hoping that you're all very much better soon. Here for you are some {{{hugs}}} to help you through xxx

Aha... there you are Lost, I was expecting you with your potted stash as it was the end of the month and, true to form, you didn't disappoint! Brilliant potting again and stay safe and healthy til the end of this month!

Hello to you indigowarrior! I'm really pleased to hear potting in your house is going well - keep it up now!

Ah a brighter Cazzie!!! I'm delighted to hear that and no doubt this lovely weather will be helping you and others like you! Very well done on £16 potted and good news with the LISA! A great idea.

Hubby has had a Premium Bond since forever ago when one of his Sisters gave him one for his birthday, and lo and behold the blighters never done anything! Good luck with yours!

Yippee jakes-mum! You've done a grand job with your Mum's cardi, she'll be well chuffed with it on her return!
    Well done with the potting or should I be congratulating your DH as he brought it back for you!!! That was so comical with your Mum sounds as though you properly took the wind out of her sales!!!

Oh your poor ex Frogletina he must be so distraught and even more so now with the loss of one of the cats, thank goodness he has more to make a fuss of. It seems that when one worry (hospital) ends others begin; will he allow the carers in, feed himself properly and even drink sufficiently! I know full well that it's so very distressing for all those around him, especially you and the girls; we had the same problems with my Mum especially as she lived in Gloucestershire and we were down here in Somerset! It was back and forth all the time!!!! She forgot to eat and drink and was hospitalised often because of dehydration!

Excellent work with your budget, a great way of ensuring money saved!!
    Take great care of yourself till next time Frogletina and - chin up as we're thinking of you all!

Good Heavens above Ant, I never thought I'd see the Copper Kettle mentioned here on SPC!! So when did they shut the camp site then because they ruined Ringwood late 70s or early 80s? If you still go camping then try one of the Forestry sites or the Red Shoot, I can recommend all.

Fantastic HoneyBee and it'll be good to have it banked!!!! Thanks for popping it on your siggy!

Thank goodness your little treasure didn't hurt himself, Hicksy!!!! Best to do as you thought and hide it so it's out of harms way! Good to hear you're still with us.

Busy watching Wimbledon today - on and off with the rain - and that's Mr Murray through his first match in straight sets Hope you're liking it so far Sue

Lx
    Originally posted by lynnejk

I'm LOVING it too Lynne!!!! Well done Andy, Cillic and Konta too!!! Fingers crossed for Juan Martin Del Potro now!

Never mind about the tardiness with your £10er, you're forgiven and at least it also helped DH out.

Hiya 32b3! Good and regular savings potted. What another gorgeous day too....well, it would have been if I'd respnded yesterday as was the plan!

Well done siju!! That must be horrible with having flies invading you... but on the up side at least you're kind of taking part in your own Wimbledon!!!!!

A lovely £20 for the pot as we decided not to bother spending £200 out to fix the air conditioning; we've got the windows and the sunroof to open so we're keeping our cash!!!!!

Right back to Juan Martin Del Potro match!!!! See you soon folks, take care!

Enjoy today, SPCers, tomorrow too. Keep filling those pots!!!

Sue xx

2nd November is the opening date for 2017.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 04-07-2017 at 1:20 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!

• VickyA
    • By VickyA 4th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    • 4,366 Posts
    • 21,042 Thanks
    VickyA
    Hellooooo there folks. Long time no see. In my absence from the forums, DH continues to leave his change hanging around the house, and I continue to pot it.

Whilst I've been absent, I've been writing reports for the cherubs in class and generally having not enough time in the day. Back now and I'm free-wheeling towards the end of term. 2 and a half weeks to go!

Off to find more change to pot...
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
    • Incywincy21
    • By Incywincy21 4th Jul 17, 6:03 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    Incywincy21
    Just popping on to quickly say 'HI'

Changed Internet providers and they messed it up so have been without Internet for a couple of weeks - though feels like months!
    Will catch up on the thread a.s.a.p and fill you all in on my potting then!

Hope you're all well

Incy x
    SPC no. 462
    NSD May - Acheived: 7 NSDs (Started 21/05/17)
    NSD June (Target 15/30) - Achieved: 14/15
    NSD July (Target 18/31) - Achieved: 3/18
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 5th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Afternoon, lovelies!

Cor blimey, it's hot today! It doesn't help that I'm carrying a good five or six stone of blubber, and I'm actually looking forward to getting back to fat club tomorrow and being able to reach my feet again! (Although I'm making the most of my last days of food freedom!) Mumma and I managed to drag ourselves round to Nanna's and get her out for lunch, for Nannas cannot exist on beans on toast alone! She doesn't cook much for herself these days since a short spell in hospital earlier in the year, but boy, can she polish off a plate of fish and chips when we get her to a nice pub! And I'm taking her out tomorrow for our Day Of Fun for her Mothers' Day gift, so it'll be a trip to the hairdressers followed by a nice carvery which we will both be making the most of! She also made my day by giving me a whole £9 of lovely pot money she had been saving - I swapsied a tenner and used the stinky old £1 coin left over to buy a second class stamp and send off my ISA Transfer Form as per The Wise One's guidance. Saved myself 9p and bet it gets there just as quickly!

So Cazzie's pot will be well fed tonight, and now it's time to do a few more competitions in the hope of winning something which will make me some more pot money!

Hope you're all having pleasant days, in lovely places where there is air con! (Or on a beach!?) xxx

• Dragon Lily
    • By Dragon Lily 5th Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 2,198 Thanks
    Dragon Lily
    Not posted for a while but still potting away £3 in 50p's potted today.

DL
    Star from Sue-UU

SPC10 #105 (banked £100)
    3-6 EF #66 Target £3000 (£1206) 40%
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 5th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

I wish I was on a beach Cazzie

78p potted today.

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 6th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Yo, potters!

Evening

I wish I was on a beach Cazzie

78p potted today.

32b3
    Originally posted by 32b3in2013
    Oh, me too, 32b3, me too! I do feel a holiday is in order after being so poorly but then I think no, I should be saving as money has been so tight, and then I think no, you've got to live while you can, and then I think no, you want your flat, don't you, and then I realise why my brain went into temporary malfunction!!!

Had a lovely day with Nanna today for her day out for Mothers Day - it's been so delayed because I was attending the hospital on Thursdays (her day for her weekly shampoo and set!) but now all that is done we finally got our special day together. Took my Mumma too as we are both returning to fat club tonight so wanted one last treat, and now I'm ready to lose my flab! Inside me has always been a skinny Cazzie just waiting to break free! I think it's about time I let her out

Managed to get my hands on £7 of beautiful pot change, and after careful consideration I deposited another whole pound in my LISA (it's up to £6 now, check me out!) Looking forward to feeding my pot tonight! Now please excuse me whilst I go and eat the last of the biscuits... xxx
    Last edited by CazzieLT; 06-07-2017 at 9:49 PM.

• 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 6th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Yo, potters!

Oh, me too, 32b3, me too! I do feel a holiday is in order after being so poorly but then I think no, I should be saving as money has been so tight, and then I think no, you've got to live while you can, and then I think no, you want your flat, don't you, and then I realise why my brain went into temporary malfunction!!!

Had a lovely day with Nanna today for her day out for Mothers Day - it's been so delayed because I was attending the hospital on Thursdays (her day for her weekly shampoo and set!) but now all that is done we finally got our special day together. Took my Mumma too as we are both returning to fat club tonight so wanted one last treat, and now I'm ready to lose my flab! Inside me has always been a skinny Cazzie just waiting to break free! I think it's about time I let her out

Managed to get my hands on £7 of beautiful pot change, and after careful consideration I deposited another whole pound in my LISA (£6 now, check me out!) Looking forward to feeding my pot tonight! Now please excuse me whilst I go and eat the last of the biscuits... xxx
    Originally posted by CazzieLT
    You know what, I truly believe you should live for the day. You never know what is going to happen tomorrow. I went on a mini break with my friends at the beginning of June. The cost was money that I could have saved, but I had the best time, we got caught in the rain, ate some really dodgy looking food (and some nice food ) and had Such a laugh. I would say go for it, even a couple of days away at the seaside is a break and I think it's good for the soul.

Glad you had a good day out with your family xx good luck with fat club. Are you going to SW or WW?

5p potted today

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 6th Jul 17, 9:53 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    You know what, I truly believe you should live for the day. You never know what is going to happen tomorrow. I went on a mini break with my friends at the beginning of June. The cost was money that I could have saved, but I had the best time, we got caught in the rain, ate some really dodgy looking food (and some nice food ) and had Such a laugh. I would say go for it, even a couple of days away at the seaside is a break and I think it's good for the soul.

Glad you had a good day out with your family xx good luck with fat club. Are you going to SW or WW?

5p potted today

32b3
    Originally posted by 32b3in2013
    Thanks 32b3! I just got a lovely welcome back, Mum and I go to SW, I find it much easier than WW and more sustainable as a long-term way of eating. I managed to push myself just over the 16st mark with those biscuits so now all being well I should see a new front number next week!

You're so right. I think we will have a weekend down by the coast. We like Eastbourne as it's only about an hour on the train and quite flat for Nanna. It's really important to have some lovely things to do and to look forward to, and you gotta make memories! Thanks for the push, I'm going to have a chat with the fam and get something in the diary!

Hope everyone else is doing great, and finding cool spots to hang out in! xxx

• 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 8th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

Lets us know How your plans are going Cazzie. I bet your Nanna will really look forward to a weekend away, you too!

Good luck with SW

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 9th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 4,250 Posts
    • 41,193 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Morning Pottersssssssssssssssss

Ahh thank you ladies, mum was very happy with her shawl and has worn it out a few times

Oooo Cazzie! I totally agree with 32b3, DH and I went through a stage of 'we'll do it next year when we've saved some money' and then *poof* my health failed and then DH's health failed and suddenly we were faced with the prospect that those things we'd get round too might not happen. So we now grab every opportunity we can (hence the very over priced Disney trip) as you just never know when your chance will be gone! As my mother always said 'Jakes-mum, there has never been anyone ever who has lain on their death bed and said 'I wish i'd spent more time at work'

DH had to go home to attend a funeral and took DS with him (7 hrs on the bus!! ) and returned with a pocket full of change so 1 x £2 coin, 4 x £1 coins and some lovely shiny silver all in the pot today
    Last edited by jakes-mum; 09-07-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £1300/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 9th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    Frogletina
    No money to save this week!

After seeing my ex three times last week, I went down to Malvern to see the matinee performance of The Mikado. A fabulous day out, a couple of hours on a couple of trains and I'm there. Got back rather tired but happy. Chatted to a few people on the way and at the theatre. As I live alone, I like to chat with people when I go out.

DD1 is visiting my ex today and will let me know how he is. As a family we are doing more and more for him as well as having carers in 3 times a day. Although I've got Power of Attorney I'm still trying to work out what allowable expenses I'm allowed to pay out for. DD2 gets his attendance allowance as that was set up by him ages ago before he was diagnosed with alzheimers and before POA was in place. She originally did all of his caring, taking him to hospital appointments, liaising with all the professionals, but now DD1 is doing a lot for him too as well.

frogletina
    Last edited by Frogletina; 09-07-2017 at 2:04 PM.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • scatterbrain109
    • By scatterbrain109 9th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    scatterbrain109
    Hi all,
    Been some months since I last checked in. I had to open my pot a few weeks ago as DS was admitted to Watford General and I needed lots of £1 coins for parking. I think I withdrew about £50 in the end as we also had several nights unexpected babysitting.
    All back to normal now, I have bought another tin and am back on the challenge but £50 lighter.

Xxx
    Sealed pot challenge number 10 - #057
    • AntoMac
    • By AntoMac 9th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    AntoMac
    Good evening potters,

Lots of sensible posts about grabbing your opportunities while you can - None of us know what's round the corner and we're only here NOW. It's still good to save what you can of course. I potted a good few pounds this week.

Good luck with SW CazzieLT. I'm lucky in that I don't tend to put weight on in a big way. My wife and family get a bit miffed with me as I'm a bit of a human dustbin when it comes to food. I did use SW once though when we did a weight loss challenge at work and it really does work. We look forward to your signature being updated to show a few pounds coming off over the coming days. I know it's not easy at all but you can do it.

Frogletina - Dealing with someone with Alzheimers must be so difficult. Well done you.

Welcome back scatterbrain - Hope your son is better now. You're not the first to have to dip into their pot and I'm sure not the last. Better to dip into your pot than have to find it from somewhere else.

My Sister tracked down our Foster Sister via Facebook which will be nice to tell my Mum tomorrow on the day of her brother's funeral - We lost contact as our Foster Sister got older and it's lovely to know that she's OK now as we often wondered what became of her.
    Last edited by AntoMac; 09-07-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 46

27/5/17 Mortgage 64,705 Bal Tfrs 19,040
    • better_times
    • By better_times 10th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    better_times
    Can I join please new here and started my sealed tin the beginning of July
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 10th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    • 8,474 Posts
    • 46,910 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Happy Monday all and welcome aboard better_times!
    Can I join please new here and started my sealed tin the beginning of July
    Originally posted by better_times
    A very warm welcome to you better_times. It's lovely to have you with us. Have fun saving and enjoying the banter. You'll find your number (above) at the bottom of the list on the 2nd post of page 1. Please read through post 1as it'll let you know exactly what to do with the challenge. PS. We always empty our pots and declare our savings in November, please make a note of this year's date: 2nd Nov.

Please also subscribe to the thread by clicking on "Thread Tools" (lower green bar) and clicking "Subscribe to this thread"...or you may lose us! To put your SPC No on, go to "Quick Links" (right side of top green bar), click and then click on "Edit Signature" and you're away.

*Please pop your numbers on your sigs, it really helps.

Hi Potters,I hope everyone had a smashing weekend enjoyingthemselves. What a welcome relief it is from the heat today!!!! Time to be able to work/play/whatever in comfort again!!!
    To all those of you unwell or poorly in any way, here's hoping that you're all very much better soon. Here for you are some {{{{hugs}}}} to help you through xxxx

Great to see you back Vicki! Well done to your hubby for keeping his change coming! I was going to say he will never learn well hey but of course - you don't want him to!! Not long to go now before you get to the summer break and I hope you enjoy yourself in it and have a really good summer holiday!

Hi to you too Incywincy! I understand what you mean with the changes an ISP brings about. I have the same problem with regards email as I badly need to change to another but there are problems with my ISP not recognising Incredimail which is a right…! Anyone else use Incredimail?? I used it for years til we switched ISP!!!!

Good luck with the fat club Cazzie, you can do it if you're firm with yourself and it makes a huge difference to how you feel and think after knocking off pounds which soon become stones!!! Go Cazzie!!! I hope you enjoyed the meals with smaller portions - naturally?! I'm with 32b3 about some time away Cazzie, if it's not too costly a break away would do you the world of good!

A brief encounter with your visit Dragon Lily but so long as you're still saving then you are of course forgiven!

Wish I was on a beach too 32b3, watching Wimbledon at the same time - might be too tall an order to ask. Still, come the end of the month and we're all away!!!! Great savings!

Oh I bet your Mum is so right with her wise thoughts, jakes-mum, and DH & I certainly won't either. Well done your beloved in always thinking to bring cash home - mind you he'd probably be scared not to!!!!!

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your day out, Frogletina, it's been a long while since I last saw it. I'm really happy to hear you've got POA and that means his money is being looked after, it makes a heck of a difference to families.

Hi again scatterbrain! I hope your DS is well now. Under the circumstances I can easily see why you used some of your cash and really pleased you're saving again. However, you'd obviously saved the £50 so do include it when you declare in November.

Very wise and true words to scatterbrain Antomac. Reading about your Sister having found your Foster Sister will be such a tonic for your Mum, an excellent way to help her through things!
    BTW. You remind me of my Son-in-law in being a human dustbin - only problem is that on him the Lbs stay on! If it wasn't for our Daughter dragging him out for walks when she's ok he'd be like a house!!!

Right back to tennis and Roger Federer!!!!

Enjoy today, SPCers, tomorrow too. Keep filling those pots!!!

Sue xx

2nd November is the opening date for 2017.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 10-07-2017 at 6:02 PM.

• Florence J
    • By Florence J 10th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 8,433 Thanks
    Florence J
    Potted about 75p, every little helps.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1226.22 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4567.40
    • siju
    • By siju 12th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    siju
    Afternoon Potters

I have some good news for any Santander customers - I called at the bank to pay in a few bags of old pound coins and the teller informed me that they are now accepting unlimited bags of coins as long as they are filled with the same denominations (it was previously no more than 5 bags at a time). Makes banking our SPC money so much easier!

I called at the butchers today and he apologised for not having any £5 notes - "Ooh brilliant" I said - he did look at me rather strangely, but I know other potters will know exactly what I mean. Therefore, I have £10.57 to pot today, yippee!
    SPC 9 - #192
    Totals: 2014 - £264.51 2015 - £207.50 2016 - £396.79
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,003Posts Today

8,777Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin