Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    • 8,480Posts
    • 46,968Thanks
    Sue-UU
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10"
    • 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10" 4th Nov 16 at 12:10 AM
    Alright then Potters, it seems awe-inspiring that we're starting off with with "SPC "No 10"!!! Where have all the years gone since it first began! So very hard to believe that by the end of this year we'll have been going for a full decade!!!!

For all newcomers, yes "Old Timers" too - it's so very important to please read through this entire post to see what the SPC is all about, dates for counting up and our re-opening date etc.. However, please be sure to Join the forum first in order to be able to join the challenge - if you haven't already! For ALL SPC members, please chat away on this SPC 10 thread about your conquests, money-saving ideas etc from Post 4 onward, it gives encouragement to all, including yourselves as it keeps the motivation to save far stronger.

Hello yet again dedicated MSE Sealed Pot Savers! We're off once more with another Sealed Pot Challenge No 10. We've had 9 amazinly money-saving years, but it's all purely through the determined saving of you all - many thanks to you amazing folk who have made SPC what it is!!

For all newcomers - a really huge heartfelt welcome! We're a terrific bunch who just adore greeting more members to the flock. Please read through the whole of this post and you'll be aware of why SPC is so special. You all settle in straight away and become part of our saving family!

The idea is to save as much as possible throughout the following year until just before Christmas - which this year will be to open our pots on Thursday the 2nd November 2017. We save it in pots that we've pre-sealed to stop us being tempted to open them. Any spare cash can be put away, every day/week/month, whatever is best for you. If you have change left over after you've been shopping - pop it in the pot! After all why not! However small the change...the likelihood is that it won't be missed, and might otherwise have been wasted!

Most of us put the difference in that we've been saved on special offers etc, it's all saved at the shop so it makes sense to save it in the pot to mount up!

Below are the basics for making your pot and sealing.

Firstly: Get yourself a pot, and remember - it doesn't need to cost much - if anything. If money's tight then use any pot for now, i.e. A sweet tin, coffee jar..extremely MSE!! Next - seal it with sellotape and be sure to make a slit in the lid, big enough for a 50p to go in, that way all coins will fit in. Later on, if you wish, you can always take advantage of finding a cheap pot in the sales after Christmas, or put one you fancy on your Christmas list! You can always buy ready sealed tins from reasonably priced shops! They're usually about a POUND from a £ store!!

It can also be interesting and challenging to make yourself a Papier Mach! pig (or any animal) etc by using Frugaldom's recipe by clicking here then going to Post No. 597 or by going to a totally separate thread papier mach! animal here. Many thanks to Frugaldom.

After selecting your pot, seal round the lid with sellotape or superglue if necessary. Again, be sure to make a slit in the top that is the right size for a 50p to go in! NB. If you make a Papier Mach! pot you will need to "operate" on it at the end of each challenge! Still, you can always have the pleasure of making a new one towards the end of the year, or getting the kiddies involved - if you're the daring type! The mind could run riot with what to model!

Anyone wanting to show a picture of their pot on the thread, here are directions by jakes-mum: "Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account, click the orange 'upload' button at the top and select your picture from your computer. Once uploaded, select the picture and click 'edit' then 'resize' change the first size number to 400 and click save. On the right hand side click the link next to 'direct', come back here and click the little picture of the mountain above the reply box, delete out the http and right hand click, select paste and your link should get pasted in. When you post your reply your pic should be there and not absolutely massive". Many thanks, jakes-mum, you are a gem!

Terrimundi pots are available in many shops and on-line, they're very attractive and another ready sealed way to save, and though the manufacturers and retailers would have you believe differently, you DO NOT need to smash them to remove your cash!! I've used mine for 9 years...and at the end of each year's (since 2009 when I graduated from a carton!) challenge, hubby and I have a whale of a time, doing things the 'old' way by tilting the pot and using a knife! Though, a few years ago DH bought a 12" steel ruler in from the shed which is thin and broad and perfect for the job. So be assured that, so long as you go carefully, you CAN use them again and again....unless you drop the darned things!! They are costly though, but this is where your Christmas list comes in handy, though always keep a look out in charity shops too!

Regarding the Sealed Cans many of you use, apparently the best way to open the sealed tins is, rather than using a tin opener, squeeze the side of the tin, where the seam meets and you can pop the seal and tip the money out that way.

The term roadkill = any money found on pavements, parks etc; even in car parks or on shop floors etc.

NB. A few notes of interest.

1/ Any money given as a gift (other than Birthdays, Christmas etc) i.e.. Inherited can not be included as savings. Likewise any money put directly into the bank cannot be counted as savings with SPC. Money from small second jobs is ok, such as cleaning for Mrs Bloggs down the road/ taking in ironing, a part-time job or anything similar is ok to be saved. Any savings saved via Christmas Clubs can also be used in your SPC Totals, it's another way of saving for Christmas after all. Money received from cashback sites such as Quidco, topcashback etc can be included in your pots. Likewise, any money made from sales on E-Bay, Facebook or similar can be saved.

Also it's possible to include all other savings from MSE Challenges with your SPC Totals i.e. the £2 Challenge as, apparently they aren't put down on the challenge threads themselves. If you're unsure, please ask on the thread, and remember - there's no so thing as a stupid question!

Second incomes can come in many varied and very lucrative guises and anything such as that would be unfair to other members. Mostly the SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save during the year...mostly it's relatively small amounts which are saved from wages, housekeeping, good budgeting etc. Remunerations via the letting of second homes cannot be included in the SPC.

2/
    Whenever you're in the dilemma of "ooh should I buy that?" If you don't need it, but just want it - leave it there and pot the cash instead, you'll be much more satisfied with the accomplishment, pleased with your self-discipline too. All too often, if I go back a second time I find I didn't even like whatever it was anyway.

3/ You can ask me to put a Target on for you to try to meet (it goes alongside your name and number on the 2nd and 3rd posts below) but it's not necessary. If you do set one, but are unable to meet it, it doesn't matter at all, at least you will have tried! A few people keep account of all they save, but most of us count what we save daily or weekly, then put it on the thread to help encourage others then we pot it and forget about it and ....wait for the surprise at the end of the year! If you're hoping for a particular amount, but still want a surprise at the end of the saving year, work out what amount you'd like and what's needed per week to achieve it - save that amount weekly/monthly as well as still putting your bits of change in without holding the amounts in your head - you're bound to come out on top that way and still get a surprise!

Please don't worry about the amounts others save! There are such differences with jobs, wages, commitments etc so some naturally find large sums easy to save, while others of us don't. However, it's the pleasure that counts - so be happy with yours, proud too, and remember it's NOT a contest!!

4/ Mainly SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save in a year for Christmas 2017. However, over the last 9 years we've had some members who needed theirs throughout the year for bills, and personally I'd far sooner they take the cash out for that than pay more interest or...miss a due date! You can always start again, even if it's getting later in the year, you can even include what you needed to take out, after all, you will have saved it. Whatever you need to do, don't worry about it - be happy and proud you have saved!

5/ If you wish to save for something special, a holiday, wedding etc then please do so, just please remember to declare it on November 2nd. The most important thing, is that you are saving ...and hopefully not tempted to take it out unnecessarily. If anyone has any other queries, then please sing out...though not too loudly.....you might shatter your pot/s!

6/ At the end of the year (or when we've saved for what we wish) count up all your money saved and declare your Total either by waiting until the declaration date - or (if you've needed your cash for other things - by putting your Total on your MSE signature to remind you to include it in your full Total; that particularly applies to those using their money for holidays etc, but PLEASE remember to return to the thread on the 2nd November to declare those Totals to me. Some members prefer not to keep too much money in the house and count theirs up every now and then to bank it, in which case they always pop the amount banked on their MSE signatures.

7/ DO KEEP YOUR POT or POTS SAFE!! If you hide it, be sure to remember where you put it as it wouldn't be the first time that members have forgotten where they've hidden it!

8/ "Holding Pots": To anyone concerned about putting money into their pot...then possibly needing it later in the week/month: Why not use an unsealed pot or purse as a "holding pot" and pop the money in there first each day/week/month - then, if it's not needed (for car parking costs, little Johnnies school trip etc) - put it in your Sealed pot so it stays put. Do that each week and it'll save you taking money from the bank. Discipline yourself to only take what's needed though!

9/ "Where to take bags of cash at the end of the year?": With regards to this all important question, here's vital help from girlatplay: "I bank with Bank of Scotland and they accept as many change bags as you have, as long as you take them to the business banking counter." That is so handy for members to know, many thanks to GAP. This applies to many banks, I suspect most banks/building societies are the same if truth be known.

10/ Members who do not return by the end of November of any year will sadly now lose their numbers as, many people who sign up to the challenge then don't bother returning! To be fair, I think a lot get swept up in the excitement of it all, but then, for one reason of another, can't or don't wish to keep it up, but that then leaves me with a long list of non savers on the list which makes things very difficult over time. Sorry folks, but any saving members won't be at all worried about this - but if those 'defaulting' (bad word, but...!) members remember then - come on back and ask for another number, they will always be be more than welcome!

On the 2 posts below is a list of members and their numbers, always display your No on your signatures please, that makes life so much easier for me and my DH when counting up all of our Totals. In December or thereabouts I declare the Grand Total of ALL that we members have collected, what a terrific sight that is! Please declare yours savings ASAP on or close to the 2nd November, many thanks.

Just a quiet word of warning to all those in the Cambridge area - forget ever thinking of looking for roadkill there as jakes-mum will even tackle you the ground to get to it first! Think I'm joking??

Once again, we've just had another truly amazing year, let's keep it up and see what we can achieve this year. Good luck everyone and save well!!

PLEASE take note everyone Thursday 2nd Nov is the closing date for 2017, the day we declare what we've saved on the thread, kindly declare your monies saved within 2 weeks of the 2nd, thank you kindly.

Anyone wishing to join us please post on the thread to ask and I'll give you a number and an official welcome so you can join in the fun......and please do note that...time means any time of year!

It's Never Too Late To Join Us! and You Never Need To Re-join....well, unless you stop visiting us in November! However.......you can always return to the fold and be made very welcome!

Many thanks for reading
    , Sue x
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 04-11-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!
    2015 = £52.852.06! 2016= £52, 002.40!!!

Page 81
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 17th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 8,480 Posts
    • 46,968 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Have a wonderful weekend SPCers!!
    haha, me too. I think they are more open days in the grounds, so people can look around and have a hotdog from a stall I suppose

£3.50odd potted today.

32b3
    Originally posted by 32b3in2013
    Mmmm..." Off to the Cemetery/Crematorium for a hot dog darling, see you later...or maybe not!" Sounds so bloomin weird and I'd be concerned they were touting for custom with some cunning plot!!!! Ah well each to their own.
    Ah, brilliant potting BTW 32b3!!! You'll be tickled pink now the weekend is here, have a good'n!

Good Heavens above Dragon Lily, I've been back for yonks!! About time you popped your face around the door! Still, you've not forgotten your potting and I guess you're still knitting often. Well done you on having something to earn cash with! You've been doing that for ages now as I can remember. How long does it take to make say a blanket??

Have a really great weekend Potters! Do take great care of yourselves in that heat and lather on the sun screen and drink plenty!
    To all those of you unwell or who are poorly in any way, Here's wishing you to get better and here for you are some {{{{hugs}}}} to help xxxx

You can see my Cemetery/Crematorium thoughts above in my reply to 32b3, Antomac; it's becoming a bit of a hot topic, intended pun unless you hadn't guessed!

You have a wonderful way of comforting your dear Mum, well done you! It's so easy for anyone to fall or trip. With me obviously it can be as a result of a seizure, but so many folk it's simply "an accident" which is what your dear Mum had! Without that happening to folk Drs and A & E would certainly be down on numbers! Good luck with the cat nabbing.

You old softie siju! Thanks for the giggle. If your Lab is at all like ours then it's too darned lazy to get up - unless it's for food or walkies., and then all she does is SNIFF!!!!! Another good potting day, well done. You have a wonderful weekend too!

A great £20 post shopping amount all in the pot, including 5 x lovely new £1 coins! Well chuffed!

Congratulations on achieving the walk, Cazzie!!!!! An excellent cause indeed! You're welcome re the sponsoring. Hubby & I walk 5 miles every day and for the fun of it, though I don't always refer to rainy days as being as being such! Brilliant potting by the way!!

Well done with your continued determination to save, Chutney!!!

Enjoy a really gorgeous weekend, folks. Don't forget those pots need filling!!!

Sue xx

2nd November is the opening date for 2017.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!

• AntoMac
    • By AntoMac 17th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    AntoMac
    £20 is great potting Sue-UU. You're set for a big payout come November. As for the cat nabbing I'll leave it to the Keystone Cops as they'd do a better job than I did! I hope you stay healthy Sue. The problem with seizures is you don't know when they're going to happen.

Managed another fiver in the pot today as was about to go to cafe for breakfast and my teenager beat me to the shower so made myself some toast.

My Mum does knitting too Dragon Lily. She reckons it's a dying art. She knits little hedgehogs and my sister sells them to help with Vet bills. They're really popular.

Have a great rest of weekend everyone and pot what you can
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 46

27/5/17 Mortgage 64,705 Bal Tfrs 19,040
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 17th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 4,760 Posts
    • 50,291 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all

Some great potting still happening Well done Sue with the £20 and hope you're feeling better now.

Lost track this week and thought it was still Friday today up until lunchtime

Potted my usual weekly £10.

Hope you all enjoying the weekend and have a super week
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1595....AUG=207.55/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1240....AUG=154.54/200
    Bulk buy.......AUG=12.38
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....AUG=15/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=414.96
    OS WL= -3/8 ......CC =666......Savings = £9250
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 18th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Afternoon, lovely potters! High fives all round for some fabulous potting this week! Those totals are going to be something to behold in a few short months!

Went for a walk with my little bro this afty - was meant to be a chance for some brother/sister quality time but I'm nothing but a sweaty mess! We made it to the garden centre and were overjoyed to see a new ice cream cabinet had been installed in the cafe! Obviously we each had to have three scoops so we could try as many flavours as possible, and it was a solid thumbs-up for them all! AND I got two lovely £2 coins in my change to join the four shiny new £1 coins I commandeered from the mothership. So it's a tasty £8 in Cazzie's pot today! Happy tummies all round!

Wishing you all a wonderful week, happy days and merry potting! And sending a hug to anyone who may need one. Lots of love xxx
    Flat Deposit Fund - £26,695/£30,000
    Emergency Fund - £450/£3,000
    SPC 10 (Number 138) - Target £1,000 for the Emergency Fund

SW Journey - 1st 2lb gone, 4st 12lb to go!
    • MLE007
    • By MLE007 18th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    MLE007
    Hi potters haven't had anything to pot for a while but in went a 50p today! Hope everyone is enjoying the sunny weather, have to say it's a bit too hot for me. Hoping for a better potting week next week as well as a good thunderstorm
    SPC #015

2017 in 2017 £2859.32
    • Incywincy21
    • By Incywincy21 19th Jun 17, 12:05 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Incywincy21
    Hey everyone,
    Been away a little while, been in hospital... so not much in the tin, but not much spending either (no way was I paying the price for one of their TV cards!!) So a half - yey, half - ney situation.
    Got out yesterday in time to spend Fathers Day with my dad today which was nice. Bought him a card and present yesterday and potted the change (£2.53) so better than nothing!

Some great potting been going on - I keep getting excited to hear everyone's totals in November and then to be in a much better position to really get to grips with this challenge next year!

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend d amd have enjoyed this lovely weather!
    SPC no. 462
    NSD May - Acheived: 7 NSDs (Started 21/05/17)
    NSD June (Target 15/30) - Achieved: 14/15
    NSD July (Target 18/31) - Achieved: 3/18
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 19th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Hey everyone,
    Been away a little while, been in hospital... so not much in the tin, but not much spending either (no way was I paying the price for one of their TV cards!!) So a half - yey, half - ney situation.
    Got out yesterday in time to spend Fathers Day with my dad today which was nice. Bought him a card and present yesterday and potted the change (£2.53) so better than nothing!

Some great potting been going on - I keep getting excited to hear everyone's totals in November and then to be in a much better position to really get to grips with this challenge next year!

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend d amd have enjoyed this lovely weather!
    Originally posted by Incywincy21
    Sorry to hear you've been in hospital, Incy, but glad you got home in time to spend Fathers' Day with your dad, I'm sure he was thrilled to have you out of hospital. I hope your health continues to improve, and well done for getting some potting in! I'm sure you can still achieve a great total this year and then an even better one next year! Take care of yourself xxx

• Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 19th Jun 17, 2:56 PM
    • 8,480 Posts
    • 46,968 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Heeeelllloooo Pootttteeerrrsss!
    I hope you all had a really super weekend Potters! Though by golly wasn't it, and isn't, ever flippin sweltering!!!! Take great care of yourselves in this heat and don't forget the sun screen and drink plenty! <--- water no alcohol!
    To all those of you who are unwell or poorly in any way, here's wishing that you're all very much better soon. Here for you are some {{{{hugs}}}} to help xxxx

Thank you for your very kind words and wishes, Antomac, I much appreciate them. I hope for as much as possible at the end of the saving year, but certainly don't bank on it: you just never know what will go wrong in life so I hope for the best, but...! Only this week hubby & I thought we were going to Kw!kfit to have gas put into the Air Con, an hour later and they weren't able to do so - and who knows why or what it will cost to get it fixed. Still, at least there was no charge for that part. All part of life though so we'll wait to see what goes in the pot this week!

Excellent work with your potted £5 Ant, a very good sum!

BTW. Let your Mum know that knitting is definitely coming back, crochet too! There are clubs for both as well as groups on F Book. There's even threads for both here on MSE!! Brilliant eh!

Ah there you are Lynne! I was looking out for you on Friday, but you had the same problem as hubby & I and switched to the wrong day!
    I'm fine thanks, I get the rough days but that's only natural.

Well done with the £10er!! BTW. How hot is it up in dear old Scotland?!

I know what you mean about the welcome cool of an ice cream yesterday, Cazzie, by golly we were almost melting so gave in to one too!!
    More savings so very well done! You have a good week as well.

It's too bally hot for me 'n all, MLE007, a wicked heat. Still a cracking thunderstorm will be marvellous to hopefully look ahead to!! Well done on getting 50p potted, it really does all add up!

Hello Incywincy! Sorry to hear you've been in hospital but I hope all's well now that you're out. It's wonderful that you were home in time to spend time with your Dad on Fathers' Day.
    Keep your eye on those Totals as they come in in Nov, and depending how much you're hoping to have next Nov, work out a daily or weekly amount to try to save. Even if you're unable to always reach it don't falter as - however much you pot is money saved not squandered or needlessly spent. Cut down as much as possible on whatever you can and you'll be doing brilliantly!!!!!

Do take great care in this heat, folks, as lovely as it is, it's b****y sweltering, so slap on the sun screen and drink plenty of water!

Have a lovely week, folks. Keep filling those pots!!!

Sue xx

2nd November is the opening date for 2017.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.

• CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 19th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Evening, all!

Oh Sue, I'm completely with you regarding this ridiculous heat! I live in this country because I like being cold, and usually you can bet your pot money on the fact you will need a thick-knit to step outside your front door! But no, these last few days I feel like I've been transported to the Sahara! I don't mind a bit of sunshine but I like it to be accompanied by a bit of breeze! Perhaps this is a sign I need to go to the seaside!

Did manage to stagger out to the shops today to buy a new pair of jeans - the number of holes in my old ones was outweighing the number of legs so I reluctantly parted with £12 to get a new pair and yes, a size up, due to some considerable calorie-stuffing during these last few months of illness. Whilst I am not going to put pressure on myself as I have been very unwell, I will be getting back to fat club soon so I'll have something else to bore you all with! And in positive news, I got a beautiful selection of every type of pot money in my change - a £5 note, a £2 coin and a shiny new £1 coin! Definitely made me feel better and made venturing out in this unrelenting heat worthwhile! And since then I've been quite literally stuck to the sofa! Just about managed to keep my thumbs moving to do some comping so at least I was still being productive and here's hoping I can generate some more money for the pot!

Stay sun-safe, potters! Factor 50 and nothing less! I don't want you all red and splotchy! xxx
    Last edited by CazzieLT; 19-06-2017 at 6:18 PM.

• Chutney86
    • By Chutney86 19th Jun 17, 8:04 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 2,296 Thanks
    Chutney86
    £2.02 potted for me today
    SPC #23 - 2015 = £319.60 / 2016 = £315.50
    MFW #93 - 2017 = £1284.06/£1500
    MFiT-T4 #28
    • Incywincy21
    • By Incywincy21 19th Jun 17, 9:12 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Incywincy21
    Thanks CazzieLT and Sue-UU! Wishes are much appreciated, though hospital is just part of life sometimes - needs must
    However, this heat is the killer right now! I have a headscarf which is good for when I do venture out, but I nipped to the shop earlier and WOW, I don't think we have ever experienced heat like this up in my neck of the woods. Garden thermometer reached 32.5°C today! We can normally count on being one of the coldest, wettest parts of the country! I know us Brits seem to moan when it's too cold, then when we get a bit of good weather we're moaning that its too hot! but this heat does seem to be taking it a little too far!

Best wishes to you all that are/have been unwell.

CazzieLT - can completely understand about the extra lbs. This period of illness has got me depressed with my weight again! It creeps on so quickly and takes such a lot of work to get back off!

Keep safe and well in this heat guys - i think we have some thunder forecast for Wednesday so hopefully that will clear the air a little!

Happy potting! (Oh, got 5p roadkill on my way to the shop today - almost didn't pick it up as it was too hot!!)
    Incy x
    SPC no. 462
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 19th Jun 17, 10:21 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 17,566 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

Do you live in Consent Incywincy? I have a friend who lives there who is insistent that it is the coldest part of the UK. A few months ago we had sunshine and she had snow!!! Sorry to hear you have been in hospital, but i am glad that you are out now and were able to spend yesterday with your Dad x

Ive been potting over the last few days, but no idea how much

I hope everyone is well.

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • Incywincy21
    • By Incywincy21 19th Jun 17, 10:35 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Incywincy21
    Hi 32b3,
    No, I'm in the lovely Cumbria. It's beautiful, and I appreciate the scenery everyday - but the weather is abysmal!
    We don't often get snow (being right besides the sea tends to ward the white stuff off thankfully), but a couple of years ago we were at the same temperature as a place just 7 miles up the coast, they had 18 feet of snow either side of a road (It was quite a spectacular site! It was on Britain's worst Weather programme!) and in my little town we didn't have a single flake! We often say we have a microclimate of our own in this little town! But I'd say this is the first year for as many as I can remember that we have had several days in as row where I am jumper-less!

Incy x
    SPC no. 462
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 20th Jun 17, 7:47 AM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    Frogletina

I visited my ex in hospital three times this week. On Tuesday to speak to the consultant with my youngest DD, and twice for visits just to him. A few times he has been telling visitors he is too tired and to go away and come back 'tomorrow'.

On Saturday, he was sitting in the chair by his bedside reading and in good spirits. He was happy to see me and my eldest DD, and he is going to be discharged on Thursday. He is having a care package in place and will have carers visiting twice a day for 6 weeks.

Thursday is the day I fly to Turkey for my holiday but I have faith in my daughters that he will be well cared for by them as well as the carers.

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    I have returned from my holiday which was a lovely tonic. I have just potted £21 including 6 £2 coins.

I went on 6 boat trips of which 4 were lovely, one was superb and one was disappointing. Several days were spent by the pool just chilling out.

One night I was woken up with a very large bang in the room which startled me so I tried to put the light on to see what it was and it didn't work. I put on the bathroom light and it was then that I saw it was the ceiling light that had fallen down, a really heavy wooden framed one. It was one that was over the bed, fortunately over the foot end and it missed my feet and legs! I took a photo of it to show the owner and it was fixed back really quickly. I did sometimes sit on the bed and found myself directly under it which gave me shivers as to what could have happened - so I avoided sitting there for the rest of my stay, but the room was small so could not move the bed.

DD1 was very thoughtful and did not want to worry me about things back at home but DD2 sent several messages which kept me updated, but I could do nothing to help.

My ex was visited by carers, a key safe was installed but two days after his discharge he would not let the carers in and they had not been given the code for the key safe! During the next week he was still not drinking or eating that well, and so deteriorated. He went to the vets to see about re-homing the cats and later was distressed, pacing about saying his cats were dying.

So, for the third time a visit to a&e was required, again a wait of about 9 hours and he was re-admitted. DD2 got an apology from the doctors saying that they had not realised how bad he was.

However, the information from the doctors is poor, and still conflicting. I visited him yesterday and was there when the consultant came round. Her information conflicted with what DD1 had been told by one of the doctors. Consultant said he was medically fit now and would be discharged within 24 hours. I said that we need to know what care will be provided - I was told that the care package would have been cancelled when he was re-admitted. There is no way he can cope without help but they just reiterated that he had to go as there was no medical reason for him to stay.

He is still very confused and thinks he needs to pay for his stay in hospital so I wrote a note on an envelope to say he doesn't need to pay for his stay and hopes he keeps reading it as forgets every few minutes. His water jug was empty (he was dehydrated on admission) and on such a hot day!

I was exhausted after a day of constant calls and DD1 keeps telling me how awful it has been and how stressed she is - DD2 says that she's dealt with it for months and now her sister is more involved she's realising how hard it is.

Here is a bit of light relief. They were in the hospital together, and the consultant said to DD2, so you are Mr EX's daughter, and then asked DD1 who she was and she said that my ex was her father. Consultant said 'so are you two sisters?' It's worrying!

DD2 is dealing with the discharge team, says she doesn't think he has had a promised psychiatric visit yet, and without that and a care package in place he is unlikely to be out today.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • admiral_traveller
    • By admiral_traveller 20th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    admiral_traveller
    Oh dear ... disappointing start to my Potting career ... up at 4.30am to go car booting and 7 hours later only managed to sell £16.50 worth of stuff! It felt as though I came home with more than I went with :-( I think I made the mistake of going back to the same place twice .. might need to try a different venue next time ... fresh customers! But still .. it's £16.50 that wasn't in the pot beforehand so at least that's something. Found a loose £1.72 on the kitchen worktop which had been laying there for a couple of days .. so in the pot it has gone! No-one has come looking for it ... yet!

I hope to have another go at car booting ...maybe this weekend ... if I can face the 4.30am start!

Happy Hot Weather Potting everyone!
    "Try to look after the pennies - the pounds will look after themselves" - wise words from an old uncle ...
    SPC 10 - 068
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 20th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Oh Frogletina, what a nightmare to come back to. Doctors are the bane of my life - I'm an Occupational Therapist and if I had a pound for every time a doctor had tried to discharge one of my patients home because they were medically fit but they were nowhere near safe to be discharged... well, I'd have enough to fill all the pots in the land! I hope things get easier there soon. And I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday and lots of mostly lovely boat trips! And I am even more glad that you were not struck by falling furnishings! Not what you want to be dealing with on holiday! I hope despite all the dramas at home you are able to hold onto a little of that happy holiday feeling, and well done for the excellent potting too!

Ahhhhh, admiral_traveller, I had the same disappointment recently. Well, I made just under £35 but it was a disappointing return on hours of sorting and hours of standing in the sunshine trying to shift my stuff! But like you say, it's all more money in the pot. I hope you have more luck at another location. And at least you are decluttering!

I'm not due to be spending any money today (she says - if I come across another ice cream cabinet, there's every chance that will change!) but I might withdraw a fiver from my special ATM in town, as I so love to pot

Have happy Tuesdays and I hope wherever you are there is either ice cream or air con! xxx

• siju
    • By siju 20th Jun 17, 1:06 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    siju
    Poor you, Frogletina, you seem to be having a rough time at the moment. CazzieLT is right, try to hang on to your holiday feeling - it will help. xx

So sorry everyone, but I LOVE this weather It's so nice to come to work and not feel like a freak because everyone else is warm and I'm freezing! I'm walking really early because doggy does NOT like the heat, then afterwards, I'm enjoying breakfast outdoors before heading off to work - it's fab.

I have good potting news too - DH asked me last night if I would like some of his change because his pockets were overflowing - YES YES YES - I said, of course I do. I haven't counted it yet, but it's quite a lovely pile.

Not often we get to say this but, keep cool everyone.
    SPC 9 - #192
    Totals: 2014 - £264.51 2015 - £207.50 2016 - £396.79
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 20th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Oh Frogletina, what a nightmare to come back to. Doctors are the bane of my life - I'm an Occupational Therapist and if I had a pound for every time a doctor had tried to discharge one of my patients home because they were medically fit but they were nowhere near safe to be discharged... well, I'd have enough to fill all the pots in the land!
    Originally posted by CazzieLT
    DD2 has spoken to the discharge nurse who was quite cross that he had been told be would be discharged within 24 hours as his assessment for care needs has not been done, so very unlikely he will be out today.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 20th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    DD2 has spoken to the discharge nurse who was quite cross that he had been told be would be discharged within 24 hours as his assessment for care needs has not been done, so very unlikely he will be out today.

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    Thank goodness for that - what I forgot to add was that I always win that battle! Together with my trusty team of physiotherapists, social workers and discharge liaison practitioners, we can make grown doctors cry! If they would only stick to their jobs of fixing stuff, and leave the important decision-making to me, I wouldn't have to let Crazy Cazzie out of her box so often! (Although she is quite fun!)

Grabbed a fiver from the ATM to be rehomed in my pot! Another five pounds closer to my target! xxx

• TheCatsandDogsMother
    • By TheCatsandDogsMother 21st Jun 17, 12:45 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    TheCatsandDogsMother
    Hi everyone!

Its been months since I was on here. We finally managed to move house so no more scary neighbour. I've finished 1 of the masters I have been doing and been offered a full time job I'm really happy as it happened a lot sooner than I was expecting. I still have 3 essays due on Monday though, so not all happy news haha.
    On a potting note the teramundi got opened to help fund the move but it has since been glued back together and the $2 coins have started to fill it up again.
    I hope everyone is well.
    Number 495
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

3,208Users online

Martin's Twitter