Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    • 8,480Posts
    • 46,968Thanks
    Sue-UU
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10"
    • 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10" 4th Nov 16 at 12:10 AM
    Alright then Potters, it seems awe-inspiring that we're starting off with with "SPC "No 10"!!! Where have all the years gone since it first began! So very hard to believe that by the end of this year we'll have been going for a full decade!!!!

For all newcomers, yes "Old Timers" too - it's so very important to please read through this entire post to see what the SPC is all about, dates for counting up and our re-opening date etc.. However, please be sure to Join the forum first in order to be able to join the challenge - if you haven't already! For ALL SPC members, please chat away on this SPC 10 thread about your conquests, money-saving ideas etc from Post 4 onward, it gives encouragement to all, including yourselves as it keeps the motivation to save far stronger.

Hello yet again dedicated MSE Sealed Pot Savers! We're off once more with another Sealed Pot Challenge No 10. We've had 9 amazinly money-saving years, but it's all purely through the determined saving of you all - many thanks to you amazing folk who have made SPC what it is!!

For all newcomers - a really huge heartfelt welcome! We're a terrific bunch who just adore greeting more members to the flock. Please read through the whole of this post and you'll be aware of why SPC is so special. You all settle in straight away and become part of our saving family!

The idea is to save as much as possible throughout the following year until just before Christmas - which this year will be to open our pots on Thursday the 2nd November 2017. We save it in pots that we've pre-sealed to stop us being tempted to open them. Any spare cash can be put away, every day/week/month, whatever is best for you. If you have change left over after you've been shopping - pop it in the pot! After all why not! However small the change...the likelihood is that it won't be missed, and might otherwise have been wasted!

Most of us put the difference in that we've been saved on special offers etc, it's all saved at the shop so it makes sense to save it in the pot to mount up!

Below are the basics for making your pot and sealing.

Firstly: Get yourself a pot, and remember - it doesn't need to cost much - if anything. If money's tight then use any pot for now, i.e. A sweet tin, coffee jar..extremely MSE!! Next - seal it with sellotape and be sure to make a slit in the lid, big enough for a 50p to go in, that way all coins will fit in. Later on, if you wish, you can always take advantage of finding a cheap pot in the sales after Christmas, or put one you fancy on your Christmas list! You can always buy ready sealed tins from reasonably priced shops! They're usually about a POUND from a £ store!!

It can also be interesting and challenging to make yourself a Papier Mach! pig (or any animal) etc by using Frugaldom's recipe by clicking here then going to Post No. 597 or by going to a totally separate thread papier mach! animal here. Many thanks to Frugaldom.

After selecting your pot, seal round the lid with sellotape or superglue if necessary. Again, be sure to make a slit in the top that is the right size for a 50p to go in! NB. If you make a Papier Mach! pot you will need to "operate" on it at the end of each challenge! Still, you can always have the pleasure of making a new one towards the end of the year, or getting the kiddies involved - if you're the daring type! The mind could run riot with what to model!

Anyone wanting to show a picture of their pot on the thread, here are directions by jakes-mum: "Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account, click the orange 'upload' button at the top and select your picture from your computer. Once uploaded, select the picture and click 'edit' then 'resize' change the first size number to 400 and click save. On the right hand side click the link next to 'direct', come back here and click the little picture of the mountain above the reply box, delete out the http and right hand click, select paste and your link should get pasted in. When you post your reply your pic should be there and not absolutely massive". Many thanks, jakes-mum, you are a gem!

Terrimundi pots are available in many shops and on-line, they're very attractive and another ready sealed way to save, and though the manufacturers and retailers would have you believe differently, you DO NOT need to smash them to remove your cash!! I've used mine for 9 years...and at the end of each year's (since 2009 when I graduated from a carton!) challenge, hubby and I have a whale of a time, doing things the 'old' way by tilting the pot and using a knife! Though, a few years ago DH bought a 12" steel ruler in from the shed which is thin and broad and perfect for the job. So be assured that, so long as you go carefully, you CAN use them again and again....unless you drop the darned things!! They are costly though, but this is where your Christmas list comes in handy, though always keep a look out in charity shops too!

Regarding the Sealed Cans many of you use, apparently the best way to open the sealed tins is, rather than using a tin opener, squeeze the side of the tin, where the seam meets and you can pop the seal and tip the money out that way.

The term roadkill = any money found on pavements, parks etc; even in car parks or on shop floors etc.

NB. A few notes of interest.

1/ Any money given as a gift (other than Birthdays, Christmas etc) i.e.. Inherited can not be included as savings. Likewise any money put directly into the bank cannot be counted as savings with SPC. Money from small second jobs is ok, such as cleaning for Mrs Bloggs down the road/ taking in ironing, a part-time job or anything similar is ok to be saved. Any savings saved via Christmas Clubs can also be used in your SPC Totals, it's another way of saving for Christmas after all. Money received from cashback sites such as Quidco, topcashback etc can be included in your pots. Likewise, any money made from sales on E-Bay, Facebook or similar can be saved.

Also it's possible to include all other savings from MSE Challenges with your SPC Totals i.e. the £2 Challenge as, apparently they aren't put down on the challenge threads themselves. If you're unsure, please ask on the thread, and remember - there's no so thing as a stupid question!

Second incomes can come in many varied and very lucrative guises and anything such as that would be unfair to other members. Mostly the SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save during the year...mostly it's relatively small amounts which are saved from wages, housekeeping, good budgeting etc. Remunerations via the letting of second homes cannot be included in the SPC.

2/
    Whenever you're in the dilemma of "ooh should I buy that?" If you don't need it, but just want it - leave it there and pot the cash instead, you'll be much more satisfied with the accomplishment, pleased with your self-discipline too. All too often, if I go back a second time I find I didn't even like whatever it was anyway.

3/ You can ask me to put a Target on for you to try to meet (it goes alongside your name and number on the 2nd and 3rd posts below) but it's not necessary. If you do set one, but are unable to meet it, it doesn't matter at all, at least you will have tried! A few people keep account of all they save, but most of us count what we save daily or weekly, then put it on the thread to help encourage others then we pot it and forget about it and ....wait for the surprise at the end of the year! If you're hoping for a particular amount, but still want a surprise at the end of the saving year, work out what amount you'd like and what's needed per week to achieve it - save that amount weekly/monthly as well as still putting your bits of change in without holding the amounts in your head - you're bound to come out on top that way and still get a surprise!

Please don't worry about the amounts others save! There are such differences with jobs, wages, commitments etc so some naturally find large sums easy to save, while others of us don't. However, it's the pleasure that counts - so be happy with yours, proud too, and remember it's NOT a contest!!

4/ Mainly SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save in a year for Christmas 2017. However, over the last 9 years we've had some members who needed theirs throughout the year for bills, and personally I'd far sooner they take the cash out for that than pay more interest or...miss a due date! You can always start again, even if it's getting later in the year, you can even include what you needed to take out, after all, you will have saved it. Whatever you need to do, don't worry about it - be happy and proud you have saved!

5/ If you wish to save for something special, a holiday, wedding etc then please do so, just please remember to declare it on November 2nd. The most important thing, is that you are saving ...and hopefully not tempted to take it out unnecessarily. If anyone has any other queries, then please sing out...though not too loudly.....you might shatter your pot/s!

6/ At the end of the year (or when we've saved for what we wish) count up all your money saved and declare your Total either by waiting until the declaration date - or (if you've needed your cash for other things - by putting your Total on your MSE signature to remind you to include it in your full Total; that particularly applies to those using their money for holidays etc, but PLEASE remember to return to the thread on the 2nd November to declare those Totals to me. Some members prefer not to keep too much money in the house and count theirs up every now and then to bank it, in which case they always pop the amount banked on their MSE signatures.

7/ DO KEEP YOUR POT or POTS SAFE!! If you hide it, be sure to remember where you put it as it wouldn't be the first time that members have forgotten where they've hidden it!

8/ "Holding Pots": To anyone concerned about putting money into their pot...then possibly needing it later in the week/month: Why not use an unsealed pot or purse as a "holding pot" and pop the money in there first each day/week/month - then, if it's not needed (for car parking costs, little Johnnies school trip etc) - put it in your Sealed pot so it stays put. Do that each week and it'll save you taking money from the bank. Discipline yourself to only take what's needed though!

9/ "Where to take bags of cash at the end of the year?": With regards to this all important question, here's vital help from girlatplay: "I bank with Bank of Scotland and they accept as many change bags as you have, as long as you take them to the business banking counter." That is so handy for members to know, many thanks to GAP. This applies to many banks, I suspect most banks/building societies are the same if truth be known.

10/ Members who do not return by the end of November of any year will sadly now lose their numbers as, many people who sign up to the challenge then don't bother returning! To be fair, I think a lot get swept up in the excitement of it all, but then, for one reason of another, can't or don't wish to keep it up, but that then leaves me with a long list of non savers on the list which makes things very difficult over time. Sorry folks, but any saving members won't be at all worried about this - but if those 'defaulting' (bad word, but...!) members remember then - come on back and ask for another number, they will always be be more than welcome!

On the 2 posts below is a list of members and their numbers, always display your No on your signatures please, that makes life so much easier for me and my DH when counting up all of our Totals. In December or thereabouts I declare the Grand Total of ALL that we members have collected, what a terrific sight that is! Please declare yours savings ASAP on or close to the 2nd November, many thanks.

Just a quiet word of warning to all those in the Cambridge area - forget ever thinking of looking for roadkill there as jakes-mum will even tackle you the ground to get to it first! Think I'm joking??

Once again, we've just had another truly amazing year, let's keep it up and see what we can achieve this year. Good luck everyone and save well!!

PLEASE take note everyone Thursday 2nd Nov is the closing date for 2017, the day we declare what we've saved on the thread, kindly declare your monies saved within 2 weeks of the 2nd, thank you kindly.

Anyone wishing to join us please post on the thread to ask and I'll give you a number and an official welcome so you can join in the fun......and please do note that...time means any time of year!

It's Never Too Late To Join Us! and You Never Need To Re-join....well, unless you stop visiting us in November! However.......you can always return to the fold and be made very welcome!

Many thanks for reading
    , Sue x
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 04-11-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!
    2015 = £52.852.06! 2016= £52, 002.40!!!

Page 74
    • Rachela
    • By Rachela 18th May 17, 2:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Rachela
    Sealed Pot Challenge
    Count me in I am for £200 as I am in a Christmas Savings Club and I want extra
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 18th May 17, 3:01 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Originally posted by Rachela
    Welcome to the nicest board on the internet, Rachela! Sue-UU will give you a number and make you all official next time she's in!

Thank you so much to my SPC family for just being awesome and bringing me sunshine through a lot of clouds. Today has been an OK day in Cazzie land which is all we can hope for at the minute. Just on my way home from the hospital and popped into the pound shop to treat my Mum to a box of her fave chocolate brazils, and can now look forward to treating the pot to a fiver and two beautiful £2 coins later too! So everyone will be well fed tonight

Excellent potting all round by all of you too. It's raining buckets where I live so I might have to scroll back through all that lovely talk of holidays we had (I think it was around Page 72!) and dream of sunnier climes! Ooooh, that reminds me, must get those Euros out and talk business with some travel agencies! Haven't forgotten your excellent guide to currency exchange, jakes-mum! That will fatten up the pot nicely

And for those weekday workers among us... it's nearly Friday! You can do it xxx
    Last edited by CazzieLT; 18-05-2017 at 6:17 PM.
    Flat Deposit Fund - £26,695/£30,000
    Emergency Fund - £450/£3,000
    SPC 10 (Number 138) - Target £1,000 for the Emergency Fund

SW Journey - 1st 2lb gone, 4st 12lb to go!
    • MLE007
    • By MLE007 18th May 17, 7:25 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    MLE007
    Evening potters, 50p swiped from the husbands pockets today, doing the laundry sometimes has it's upsides
    SPC #015

2017 in 2017 £2859.32
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 18th May 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 8,786 Thanks
    Florence J
    My new pot has had it's first potting today. Only about 10p in coppers, but it is a start.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1257.28 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4519.44
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 18th May 17, 9:10 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 17,566 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

£1.05 potted today. It's been raining all day long, i love the rain though, so all good

Happy Friday everyone

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • Incywincy21
    • By Incywincy21 18th May 17, 10:05 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Incywincy21
    Hi,
    Firstly what a fantastic idea and a brilliant thread with so many great ideas and friendly people!

So, I'd love to join if that would be okay?
    I don't want to set a 'target' as tight now times are tough... I'm in a bit of a mess debt wise and getting help.

So, in the very beginning my savings will mostly be 'Roadkill'. However, when I get things under control I'm hoping even a couple of pounds a time will be helpful.

I think right now, just knowing that I'm 'saving' (even if it is tuppence here and tuppence there) would be a good mental boost.

So, if it's okay, please could I have a numbe?

Look forward to chatting to you all and hearing all your ideas and motivations

Incy x
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 18th May 17, 10:53 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 12,229 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread incywincy21! Sue will be along to give you a number soon. In the meantime read the first post, grab a pot (anything will do) and get potting!
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 18th May 17, 11:02 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Hi Incy! Welcome to our happy board! Well done for trying to take steps in the right direction, however small they might feel - I was always told if you look after the pennies, the pounds will take care of themselves, so I hope your pennies will soon add up and help make a difference to your debts. This is certainly the best and most fun place to do it! And we sure do love a roadkill win!

Excellent potting, peeps! I'm now starting to understand why one might get oneself a DH! Still think I'll stick to my singledom though - would hate to have to share my pottage with anyone else, it's all miiiiiiine!!! xxx
    Last edited by CazzieLT; 18-05-2017 at 11:52 PM.

• seekingthesunlight
    • By seekingthesunlight 18th May 17, 11:23 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    seekingthesunlight
    Adding another £1.10 in roadkill. It's been a good day for potting!

Sealed Pot Challenge No. 179!
    • Incywincy21
    • By Incywincy21 18th May 17, 11:57 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Incywincy21
    Thanks for the lovely welcome!

Yes, from reading some of these posts it 'almost' makes you wish you had a DH... but I only get as far as 'almost'!
    Very happily single with my cat and can't see it any other way you're in good company Cazzie ����

Incy x
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 19th May 17, 11:24 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    Just done a quick add-up on my latest Quidco total and I'm up to £73 cashback already this year, and I know there's more to come as Trainline.com is back with them!
    PAYDBX 2017 #71 £1955.89 / £3053.49 * Xmas 2017 #8 £403.50 / £365 * (2016 £424.32 / £366)
    * SPCNo.10 #66 (SPCNo.9 £442.64 inc Quidco to 2/11/16 £138.92 *
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 19th May 17, 3:11 PM
    • 4,760 Posts
    • 50,302 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Afternoon all and a warm welcome to the new peoples

I have potted my weekly £10 today.

Hope you all have a great weekend
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1595....AUG=207.55/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1240....AUG=154.54/200
    Bulk buy.......AUG=12.38
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....AUG=15/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=414.96
    OS WL= -3/8 ......CC =666......Savings = £9250
    • Chutney86
    • By Chutney86 19th May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 2,296 Thanks
    Chutney86
    £1.50 potted for me today
    SPC #23 - 2015 = £319.60 / 2016 = £315.50
    MFW #93 - 2017 = £1284.06/£1500
    MFiT-T4 #28
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 19th May 17, 8:23 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Evening, potters! Happy weekend!

A nice fiver in the pot for me today, change from a purchase in Primarni for a friend's little boy's birthday (I swear most of my salary goes on presents!) My recent financial struggles have meant that I've made more effort to shop around and get the best stuff for the best prices, so I managed to find a t-shirt with ALL of the characters from Paw Patrol for £4.50. Cue my tasty fiver and 50p for the shrapnel tin!

Just done a quick add-up on my latest Quidco total and I'm up to £73 cashback already this year, and I know there's more to come as Trainline.com is back with them!
    Originally posted by MrsShazbat
    Ooooh, MrsShazbat, I think you might have just changed my life! I had a little Google and am now all signed up to Quidco ready to make some serious cashback! Thank you very much for bringing this into my life! The big dilemma I have now though is do I pay with cash so I can get change for my pot or do I pay by card to get my cashback!? I'll have to keep an eye on the deals and stores involved and make careful decisions on a case by case basis! I am a frequent user of trainline.com though, so I was sold as soon as you mentioned that! I've also signed up to the Free Postcode Lottery that was mentioned in the MSE email a few weeks back - every little helps, right!? Martin would be so proud

Have a lovely weekend, beautiful potty people! Stay well and keeeeeeep potting! xxx

• jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 19th May 17, 9:01 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 41,309 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Ooooh, MrsShazbat, I think you might have just changed my life! I had a little Google and am now all signed up to Quidco ready to make some serious cashback! Thank you very much for bringing this into my life! The big dilemma I have now though is do I pay with cash so I can get change for my pot or do I pay by card to get my cashback!? I'll have to keep an eye on the deals and stores involved and make careful decisions on a case by case basis! I am a frequent user of trainline.com though, so I was sold as soon as you mentioned that! I've also signed up to the Free Postcode Lottery that was mentioned in the MSE email a few weeks back - every little helps, right!? Martin would be so proud

Have a lovely weekend, beautiful potty people! Stay well and keeeeeeep potting! xxx
    Originally posted by CazzieLT
    Oooooo Cazzie, you have joined us on Quidco im currently on £1060 in cashback earnt! I do all the family's mobile phone contracts through there, gas and elec switch (if MSE energy switch isnt cheaper), if you ever decide to switch from sky to virgin (or vice versa) there are always good cashback deals for that plus they do competitions every so often where you can win some free money (so far ive only managed the odd 50p but as you say, every little helps ) the other one to look at is topcashback who sometimes have better cashback offerings for the same companies (though quidco will match if you message them), they also do comps as well

I've been a member of freepostcodelottery for nearly 6 years now and nope, not won a bean but I keep checking 3 times a day just incase (make sure you check all 8 draws as a lot of new members don't realise you have to scroll to the bottom of the page at 6pm for the mini draw)

Well today was my birthday so out to dinner we went DH paid and as he was pulling out some change to leave a tip I see 3 shiny brand new £1 coins after a serious scolding at not handing them over as soon as he got them, I swiped all his change and gave him back a £5 note
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £1800/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 19th May 17, 9:12 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Oooooo Cazzie, you have joined us on Quidco im currently on £1060 in cashback earnt! I do all the family's mobile phone contracts through there, gas and elec switch (if MSE energy switch isnt cheaper), if you ever decide to switch from sky to virgin (or vice versa) there are always good cashback deals for that plus they do competitions every so often where you can win some free money (so far ive only managed the odd 50p but as you say, every little helps ) the other one to look at is topcashback who sometimes have better cashback offerings for the same companies (though quidco will match if you message them), they also do comps as well

I've been a member of freepostcodelottery for nearly 6 years now and nope, not won a bean but I keep checking 3 times a day just incase (make sure you check all 8 draws as a lot of new members don't realise you have to scroll to the bottom of the page at 6pm for the mini draw)

Well today was my birthday so out to dinner we went DH paid and as he was pulling out some change to leave a tip I see 3 shiny brand new £1 coins after a serious scolding at not handing them over as soon as he got them, I swiped all his change and gave him back a £5 note
    Originally posted by jakes-mum
    Well, a very happy birthday to you, jakes-mum! And thank you as always for all the excellent advice, even on your special day! AND thank heavens you were able to prevent the gross injustice of shiny new £1 coins going anywhere other than a pot!

I'm excited about this whole cashback phenomenon, I can't believe I'm only just cottoning on to it now! I think if I can get used to the basics, then when I venture out of the family nest and am doing grown-up things like getting insurances and broadband packages I can really go to town!

And you know I love a comp! Have put a good few hours in this week, no new wins but my books did arrive so they'll be going online in the hope of finding a happy new home! They look a bit fifty shades and obvs I'm far too innocent for all that! *reaches for an Enid Blyton*

Eeeek, this board is amazing! xxx

PS - I have been checking all the pages but didn't know about the 6pm mini draw - thank you! xxx
    Last edited by CazzieLT; 19-05-2017 at 9:17 PM.

• jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 19th May 17, 9:22 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 41,309 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Well, a very happy birthday to you, jakes-mum! And thank you as always for all the excellent advice, even on your special day! AND thank heavens you were able to prevent the gross injustice of shiny new £1 coins going anywhere other than a pot!

PS - I have been checking all the pages but didn't know about the 6pm mini draw - thank you! xxx
    Originally posted by CazzieLT
    Why thank you I have had a lovely day topped off with a homemade cake by DH and Miss Lily (who decided that as I love victoria sponge and maltesers, it made perfect sense to combine these two loves into one cake )

Forgot to say, Freepostcodelottery have a daily competitions page aswell run the same as the click to wins, thats a new addition to the page, plus there is a sister page now called win a dinner where you can win a giftcard for a range of different restaurants or £20 paypal cash (your choice from the cards on offer if you win). Only 60k members on the sister page (compared to the 850k on FPL ) so much better odds of winning
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £1800/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 19th May 17, 10:26 PM
    • 8,480 Posts
    • 46,968 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Happy weekend to all and Welcome aboard to our new members!!
    Originally posted by Rachela
    Firstly what a fantastic idea and a brilliant thread with so many great ideas and friendly people!

So, I'd love to join if that would be okay?
    I don't want to set a 'target' as tight now times are tough... I'm in a bit of a mess debt wise and getting help.
    by Incywincy21

It's never too late to join us, Rachela (No 355) and Incywincy21 (No 462). A very warm welcome to you! It's lovely to have you with us. Have fun saving and enjoying the banter. You'll find your numbers at the bottom of the list on the 2nd or 3rd post of page 1. Please read through post 1as it'll let you know exactly what to do with the challenge. PS. We always empty our pots and declare our savings in November, please make a note of this year's date: 2nd Nov.

Please also subscribe to the thread by clicking on "Thread Tools" (lower green bar) and clicking "Subscribe to this thread"...or you may lose us! To put your SPC No on, go to "Quick Links" (right side of top green bar), click and then click on "Edit Signature" and you're away.

*Please pop your numbers on your sigs, it really helps.

Rachela - Your are No 355 and your Target of £200 is alongside your name and No. You can include any other Christmas savings with your SPC declaration in November!

Incywincy21 - You are No 462. If roadkill is what you can get easiest then so be it!! All very best wishes with your finances, budget well and always live within your means and sure enough you'll get there! Many of us have been in your situation so never despair!

Many thanks for the warm welcomes, Cazzie and, 3forholidays, you've just earned yourselves a gold star each to pop on your siggy if you wish.

A very happy Friday evening Potters! So sorry not to have been on the site earlier in the week folks but I've got a very painful abscess under a rear tooth which is wicked! I'm on antibiotics so hopefully it'll soon settle down. I go back next week and my dentist will decide whether to extract it or do a root canal! Neither appeals but needs must. I hope you're all enjoying a really wonderful weekend!

To all those of you who are just not feeling quite right or who are poorly I do hope that you'll soon get better and here for you are some {{{{hugs}}}} to help xxxx To anyone with stress worries or any kind of mental illness...always seek help ASAP as it's imperative. It can be a loved one, a trusted friend or someone you know you can confide in, whomever you choose...it's the start to getting better!!

Thanks for that 32b3, twas a bit of a struggle but I got there! I really empathised with you on the Saturday working as I know how much you love your weekends. Still you've another to look ahead to now!!!

PS. I just saw your following post and was so thrilled there are folk like yourself who care enough to want to help and be ready to see the symptoms at the onset of mental health! That is a blessing, and thinking back, would have been marvellous for someone trained to have been able to see help was needed with me at the beginning rather than further down the line when the darkness had already fixed itself. An excellent thing to do 32b3!! 2017-2017 is going to be fantastic and kind for so many, a new beginning too!!!!

So sorry to hear about your very gloomy weekend, Cazzie, I do hope the depression doesn't strike again too often and that you can keep staying as upbeat as possible.
    Excellent potting news!!!!! Wow, you've done so well with those headphones also!!! At least when amongst the low times you're still fortunate enough to have some lifts and there's so much to be said for that!!! Chin up and look for the blue skies that follow the grey! Meanwhile, as jakes-mum says SPC is just like a family unit and we care about each other, use us to confide in whenever it's necessary.

PS. Just seen your latest post: Making something creative is a brilliant way of helping people to focus on something - enjoy it!! BTW. On MSE there always used to be a site where you could buy specs a LOT cheaper, actually Martin put it on, have a look and see what you come up with.

Don't forget Vicky, whatever the amount you pot is a whole lot better than none! However, whatever's wrong with your hubby these days!! Ah, he'll slip up soon enough. That's a really sad shame about the reduction in your hours but if it's only temporary then try and look forward to a little more "me or family time" until the hours go up again.

Well it's obviously been an extremely hectic time for you, MrsShazbat, but amidst it all you still managed to save so that has to be good!! Marvellous news about your Quidco gains, a fantastic sum!!!!!

Not you with mental health problems too, Florence! Still, at least folk aren't afraid to admit to it these days which was the case a few years ago. Keep as active in happy ways as possible as it does help! Ah, and walking is another great way to release those endorphins!! Shame about the rain but it will still have done you good. So pleased you got your new tin, smaller or not it still holds cash!!

Great savings for the week Chutney!!

Such a shame the virus returned, jakes-mum, but at least you've kicked it away again! Aha! It's your day then so... Here's wishing you A very Happy Birthday!!! Well done on your two bingo wins and many thanks for the tip about The Free Costcode Lottery, I hadn't a clue about checking in again at 6pm so I'll be off to do that as soon as this is done!!!!

I totally get the feeling of a family on here, as you've all been so welcoming to me as a newcomer!

One more plastic fiver potted today. I've finally found an ATM that dispenses them, so see many more trips there in the near future...
    Originally posted by seekingthesunlight
    You are not a newcomer, seekingthesunlight, you are a fully fledged member and have been for a good while now! That being the case you've been part of the family for some time!! Well done without £5er as well as the change!!!

We've a fantastic family network, siju, you're well aware of that I know. Another great sum saved!!!

Excellent spotting to add to your potting, MLE007!!!! Always keep a close eye on your hubby!

A wonderful way to start your pot off, Florence!!

Great to see you Lynne ...and your weekly £10er, excellent!!! I hope your health is still improving?

There has been some amazing potting that's gone on during this last week, SPCers, you're all doing your very best which is just what we want - so budget well, never waste precious cash - pot it instead and then more and keep it going!!!!

£15 potted post shopping, very happy.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, folks. Keep those pots fed!!!

Sue xx

2nd November is the opening date for 2017.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 19-05-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!
    2015 = £52.852.06! 2016= £52, 002.40!!!

• owlet
    • By owlet 20th May 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,449 Thanks
    owlet
    Hi all, a quick update from me ☺

I've opened my £1 coin tin and cashed it in at the bank. £137 in there , so well happy. I paid it into my account then withdrew it in notes and it's sitting with my plastic £5 note stash. I'm not officially declaring it yet , it can sit with the rest until november.

So new pot for shiny new £1 coins on the go and half a dozen in already. Two plastic £5ers added to that stash and shrapnel added to the odd sods tin.

Pleased to see everyone is saving well. Pounds or pence doesn't matter, it's all savings xx
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485 TOTAL £84
    SPC 10 (2017) # 485
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 20th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 15,266 Posts
    • 195,269 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Afternoon potters regular and newer members.
    Hugs to all who need them, been really busy hence the £600 that went in my o/t fund from last months wages.
    grocery challenge August budget £400 spent £
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,700o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on the Kings curse
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,494Posts Today

7,891Users online

Martin's Twitter