Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    • 8,487Posts
    • 47,036Thanks
    Sue-UU
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10"
    • 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10" 4th Nov 16 at 12:10 AM
    Alright then Potters, it seems awe-inspiring that we're starting off with with "SPC "No 10"!!! Where have all the years gone since it first began! So very hard to believe that by the end of this year we'll have been going for a full decade!!!!

For all newcomers, yes "Old Timers" too - it's so very important to please read through this entire post to see what the SPC is all about, dates for counting up and our re-opening date etc.. However, please be sure to Join the forum first in order to be able to join the challenge - if you haven't already! For ALL SPC members, please chat away on this SPC 10 thread about your conquests, money-saving ideas etc from Post 4 onward, it gives encouragement to all, including yourselves as it keeps the motivation to save far stronger.

Hello yet again dedicated MSE Sealed Pot Savers! We're off once more with another Sealed Pot Challenge No 10. We've had 9 amazinly money-saving years, but it's all purely through the determined saving of you all - many thanks to you amazing folk who have made SPC what it is!!

For all newcomers - a really huge heartfelt welcome! We're a terrific bunch who just adore greeting more members to the flock. Please read through the whole of this post and you'll be aware of why SPC is so special. You all settle in straight away and become part of our saving family!

The idea is to save as much as possible throughout the following year until just before Christmas - which this year will be to open our pots on Thursday the 2nd November 2017. We save it in pots that we've pre-sealed to stop us being tempted to open them. Any spare cash can be put away, every day/week/month, whatever is best for you. If you have change left over after you've been shopping - pop it in the pot! After all why not! However small the change...the likelihood is that it won't be missed, and might otherwise have been wasted!

Most of us put the difference in that we've been saved on special offers etc, it's all saved at the shop so it makes sense to save it in the pot to mount up!

Below are the basics for making your pot and sealing.

Firstly: Get yourself a pot, and remember - it doesn't need to cost much - if anything. If money's tight then use any pot for now, i.e. A sweet tin, coffee jar..extremely MSE!! Next - seal it with sellotape and be sure to make a slit in the lid, big enough for a 50p to go in, that way all coins will fit in. Later on, if you wish, you can always take advantage of finding a cheap pot in the sales after Christmas, or put one you fancy on your Christmas list! You can always buy ready sealed tins from reasonably priced shops! They're usually about a POUND from a £ store!!

It can also be interesting and challenging to make yourself a Papier Mach! pig (or any animal) etc by using Frugaldom's recipe by clicking here then going to Post No. 597 or by going to a totally separate thread papier mach! animal here. Many thanks to Frugaldom.

After selecting your pot, seal round the lid with sellotape or superglue if necessary. Again, be sure to make a slit in the top that is the right size for a 50p to go in! NB. If you make a Papier Mach! pot you will need to "operate" on it at the end of each challenge! Still, you can always have the pleasure of making a new one towards the end of the year, or getting the kiddies involved - if you're the daring type! The mind could run riot with what to model!

Anyone wanting to show a picture of their pot on the thread, here are directions by jakes-mum: "Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account, click the orange 'upload' button at the top and select your picture from your computer. Once uploaded, select the picture and click 'edit' then 'resize' change the first size number to 400 and click save. On the right hand side click the link next to 'direct', come back here and click the little picture of the mountain above the reply box, delete out the http and right hand click, select paste and your link should get pasted in. When you post your reply your pic should be there and not absolutely massive". Many thanks, jakes-mum, you are a gem!

Terrimundi pots are available in many shops and on-line, they're very attractive and another ready sealed way to save, and though the manufacturers and retailers would have you believe differently, you DO NOT need to smash them to remove your cash!! I've used mine for 9 years...and at the end of each year's (since 2009 when I graduated from a carton!) challenge, hubby and I have a whale of a time, doing things the 'old' way by tilting the pot and using a knife! Though, a few years ago DH bought a 12" steel ruler in from the shed which is thin and broad and perfect for the job. So be assured that, so long as you go carefully, you CAN use them again and again....unless you drop the darned things!! They are costly though, but this is where your Christmas list comes in handy, though always keep a look out in charity shops too!

Regarding the Sealed Cans many of you use, apparently the best way to open the sealed tins is, rather than using a tin opener, squeeze the side of the tin, where the seam meets and you can pop the seal and tip the money out that way.

The term roadkill = any money found on pavements, parks etc; even in car parks or on shop floors etc.

NB. A few notes of interest.

1/ Any money given as a gift (other than Birthdays, Christmas etc) i.e.. Inherited can not be included as savings. Likewise any money put directly into the bank cannot be counted as savings with SPC. Money from small second jobs is ok, such as cleaning for Mrs Bloggs down the road/ taking in ironing, a part-time job or anything similar is ok to be saved. Any savings saved via Christmas Clubs can also be used in your SPC Totals, it's another way of saving for Christmas after all. Money received from cashback sites such as Quidco, topcashback etc can be included in your pots. Likewise, any money made from sales on E-Bay, Facebook or similar can be saved.

Also it's possible to include all other savings from MSE Challenges with your SPC Totals i.e. the £2 Challenge as, apparently they aren't put down on the challenge threads themselves. If you're unsure, please ask on the thread, and remember - there's no so thing as a stupid question!

Second incomes can come in many varied and very lucrative guises and anything such as that would be unfair to other members. Mostly the SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save during the year...mostly it's relatively small amounts which are saved from wages, housekeeping, good budgeting etc. Remunerations via the letting of second homes cannot be included in the SPC.

2/
    Whenever you're in the dilemma of "ooh should I buy that?" If you don't need it, but just want it - leave it there and pot the cash instead, you'll be much more satisfied with the accomplishment, pleased with your self-discipline too. All too often, if I go back a second time I find I didn't even like whatever it was anyway.

3/ You can ask me to put a Target on for you to try to meet (it goes alongside your name and number on the 2nd and 3rd posts below) but it's not necessary. If you do set one, but are unable to meet it, it doesn't matter at all, at least you will have tried! A few people keep account of all they save, but most of us count what we save daily or weekly, then put it on the thread to help encourage others then we pot it and forget about it and ....wait for the surprise at the end of the year! If you're hoping for a particular amount, but still want a surprise at the end of the saving year, work out what amount you'd like and what's needed per week to achieve it - save that amount weekly/monthly as well as still putting your bits of change in without holding the amounts in your head - you're bound to come out on top that way and still get a surprise!

Please don't worry about the amounts others save! There are such differences with jobs, wages, commitments etc so some naturally find large sums easy to save, while others of us don't. However, it's the pleasure that counts - so be happy with yours, proud too, and remember it's NOT a contest!!

4/ Mainly SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save in a year for Christmas 2017. However, over the last 9 years we've had some members who needed theirs throughout the year for bills, and personally I'd far sooner they take the cash out for that than pay more interest or...miss a due date! You can always start again, even if it's getting later in the year, you can even include what you needed to take out, after all, you will have saved it. Whatever you need to do, don't worry about it - be happy and proud you have saved!

5/ If you wish to save for something special, a holiday, wedding etc then please do so, just please remember to declare it on November 2nd. The most important thing, is that you are saving ...and hopefully not tempted to take it out unnecessarily. If anyone has any other queries, then please sing out...though not too loudly.....you might shatter your pot/s!

6/ At the end of the year (or when we've saved for what we wish) count up all your money saved and declare your Total either by waiting until the declaration date - or (if you've needed your cash for other things - by putting your Total on your MSE signature to remind you to include it in your full Total; that particularly applies to those using their money for holidays etc, but PLEASE remember to return to the thread on the 2nd November to declare those Totals to me. Some members prefer not to keep too much money in the house and count theirs up every now and then to bank it, in which case they always pop the amount banked on their MSE signatures.

7/ DO KEEP YOUR POT or POTS SAFE!! If you hide it, be sure to remember where you put it as it wouldn't be the first time that members have forgotten where they've hidden it!

8/ "Holding Pots": To anyone concerned about putting money into their pot...then possibly needing it later in the week/month: Why not use an unsealed pot or purse as a "holding pot" and pop the money in there first each day/week/month - then, if it's not needed (for car parking costs, little Johnnies school trip etc) - put it in your Sealed pot so it stays put. Do that each week and it'll save you taking money from the bank. Discipline yourself to only take what's needed though!

9/ "Where to take bags of cash at the end of the year?": With regards to this all important question, here's vital help from girlatplay: "I bank with Bank of Scotland and they accept as many change bags as you have, as long as you take them to the business banking counter." That is so handy for members to know, many thanks to GAP. This applies to many banks, I suspect most banks/building societies are the same if truth be known.

10/ Members who do not return by the end of November of any year will sadly now lose their numbers as, many people who sign up to the challenge then don't bother returning! To be fair, I think a lot get swept up in the excitement of it all, but then, for one reason of another, can't or don't wish to keep it up, but that then leaves me with a long list of non savers on the list which makes things very difficult over time. Sorry folks, but any saving members won't be at all worried about this - but if those 'defaulting' (bad word, but...!) members remember then - come on back and ask for another number, they will always be be more than welcome!

On the 2 posts below is a list of members and their numbers, always display your No on your signatures please, that makes life so much easier for me and my DH when counting up all of our Totals. In December or thereabouts I declare the Grand Total of ALL that we members have collected, what a terrific sight that is! Please declare yours savings ASAP on or close to the 2nd November, many thanks.

Just a quiet word of warning to all those in the Cambridge area - forget ever thinking of looking for roadkill there as jakes-mum will even tackle you the ground to get to it first! Think I'm joking??

Once again, we've just had another truly amazing year, let's keep it up and see what we can achieve this year. Good luck everyone and save well!!

PLEASE take note everyone Thursday 2nd Nov is the closing date for 2017, the day we declare what we've saved on the thread, kindly declare your monies saved within 2 weeks of the 2nd, thank you kindly.

Anyone wishing to join us please post on the thread to ask and I'll give you a number and an official welcome so you can join in the fun......and please do note that...time means any time of year!

It's Never Too Late To Join Us! and You Never Need To Re-join....well, unless you stop visiting us in November! However.......you can always return to the fold and be made very welcome!

Many thanks for reading
    , Sue x
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 04-11-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!
    2015 = £52.852.06! 2016= £52, 002.40!!!

Page 65
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 18th Apr 17, 5:42 PM
    • 4,267 Posts
    • 41,343 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Afternoon pottersssssssssssssss

Oh Lynne, poor you hope you are feeling much better now but do take extra special care of yourself

Glad your on the mend Sue, Miss Lily is now the proud owner of not one but two fidget toys so hopefully that will help her, no Karate tests for 6 months now as shes having her op on her toe at the end of the month so that takes the pressure off her a bit too.

Oooo Cazzie you are just banging the money away! go you!

I found a whole 1p roadkill today it is in my coppers tin ready to be got rid of as soon as I have enough to change up to a shiny silver coin for my tin

Also potted a rather impressive £250 toward Disney spending so I am a happy chappy
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £2210/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 18th Apr 17, 6:05 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Afternoon pottersssssssssssssss

Oooo Cazzie you are just banging the money away! go you!

I found a whole 1p roadkill today it is in my coppers tin ready to be got rid of as soon as I have enough to change up to a shiny silver coin for my tin

Also potted a rather impressive £250 toward Disney spending so I am a happy chappy
    Originally posted by jakes-mum
    Well, push me over with a feather! £250!?!?!? That's incredible! And how exciting, you are going to Disney! That's a much more exciting reason to pot than building an Emergency Fund! Well done on the roadkill too - I've been keeping my beady eye out but slim pickings down here this week, Sparky must be doing the rounds I reckon!

Alas, nothing for me to pot today, but that's because nothing was withdrawn and nothing was spent. To console myself, though, I've transferred a wee tenner into the Emergency Fund account so I'm still celebrating a little victory! Only £2,560.92 to go...! Then I'm DEFINITELY starting on that Cruise Fund! xxx
    Flat Deposit Fund - £26,695/£30,000
    Emergency Fund - £450/£3,000
    SPC 10 (Number 138) - Target £1,000 for the Emergency Fund

SW Journey - 1st 7lb gone, 4st 7lb to go!
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 18th Apr 17, 8:43 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

£3.94 potted today.

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85 SPC10 -£405 banked so far
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 18th Apr 17, 8:47 PM
    • 4,267 Posts
    • 41,343 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Well, push me over with a feather! £250!?!?!? That's incredible! And how exciting, you are going to Disney! That's a much more exciting reason to pot than building an Emergency Fund! Well done on the roadkill too - I've been keeping my beady eye out but slim pickings down here this week, Sparky must be doing the rounds I reckon!

Alas, nothing for me to pot today, but that's because nothing was withdrawn and nothing was spent. To console myself, though, I've transferred a wee tenner into the Emergency Fund account so I'm still celebrating a little victory! Only £2,560.92 to go...! Then I'm DEFINITELY starting on that Cruise Fund! xxx
    Originally posted by CazzieLT
    Only been 32 years in the waiting lol, I am very over excited! I tell everyone its for the kids, but its not A Cruise is next on the list, which is a bit odd as I hate boats, hate sailing and get rediculusly seasick on a pond BUT my friend has been on a few and keeps posting these amazing photos so I now feel I have to give it a go . Hubby has already said it will just be us as if I am ill he doesn't want to have to deal with the kids as well as me
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £2210/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 18th Apr 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Only been 32 years in the waiting lol, I am very over excited! I tell everyone its for the kids, but its not A Cruise is next on the list, which is a bit odd as I hate boats, hate sailing and get rediculusly seasick on a pond BUT my friend has been on a few and keeps posting these amazing photos so I now feel I have to give it a go . Hubby has already said it will just be us as if I am ill he doesn't want to have to deal with the kids as well as me
    Originally posted by jakes-mum
    OMG, we could be twins. I am almost sea sick in the bath (not really, that would just be awful wouldn't it!!) I am really bad. I was sick whilst waiting on a jetty for the river bus and I was also sick at a big ship related celebration. the ship was in a dry dock, and was nowhere near floating on water!

I wasn't sick on a submarine though
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • seekingthesunlight
    • By seekingthesunlight 18th Apr 17, 9:13 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    seekingthesunlight
    Potted a big handful of change today, including a couple of elusive new pound coins (Thanks for my number, Sue!)
    Last edited by seekingthesunlight; 18-04-2017 at 9:24 PM.

Sealed Pot Challenge No. 179!
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 18th Apr 17, 10:25 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Gosh, I feel seasick just reading all these messages! Maybe I'll forget the cruise and join you at Disney! (Obviously keeping it all about the kids...!)

Been very grown up tonight and registered my Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare (Martin Lewis is my guru in every way, but I also work in a Trauma Unit and see the importance of these things for myself far too often). I'd already registered my Property and Finance POA and had the money set aside to do this one, £110, and then Saint Martin goes and tells me they've reduced the fee to £82 - boy, am I glad I took my time! So that's a tidy £28 saving which I'm going to try and change into pot-able money so I can feed my hungry little monster!

Great potting all round, potters! This year's total is going to blow all other totals out of the water (so probably best we do all stay on dry land!) xxx

• Observer
    • By Observer 19th Apr 17, 8:22 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 3,219 Thanks
    Observer
    Hello all. Just thought I'd pop in to say Hi and that I hope everyone had something good happen to them during Easter.

Sue I see I'm popping in just in time to say that I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope that the injuries left mend themselves very soon.

Best wishes to all for the potting.
    Challenge savings 2010-2016 £1564.60
    Sealed Pot Challenge #220 '16 £17.01
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 19th Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Evening, my potty little pals!

Lots of goodies for Cazzie's pot today! Bought a birthday card for a friend costing 99p and paid with a £10 note (if looks could kill, I'd be six feet under, but am I bothered!?) and got a lovely yummy new fiver for my hungry pot, although the silly woman only gave me dusty old £1 coins, no shiny new ones (which I've decided I actually really like!). But at least my purse feels a bit heavier

And then I've just sold a bracelet on a famous social media site for ten lovely British pounds - have to go and buy something else very small to break it up into pot money!

Hope you've all had happy hump days! Little bit closer to payday and my bank account getting fed, it's currently chewing on very limited rations! xxx

• VickyA
    • By VickyA 20th Apr 17, 2:29 PM
    • 4,366 Posts
    • 21,044 Thanks
    VickyA
    Oh goodness Sue-UU. Sorry to hear that you haven't been well, but I'm pleased that you're on the road to recovery.

Having been away with my mother, then DH's parents, there hasn't been much opportunity for potting, however on my return I've made the most of it! A variety of silver coins and some rare £2 coins (well, £2 coins... There seems to have been a real lack of £2 coins in my change - until yesterday!!!
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
    • Chutney86
    • By Chutney86 20th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 2,321 Thanks
    Chutney86
    £4 potted for me today
    SPC #23 - 2015 = £319.60 / 2016 = £315.50
    MFW #93 - 2017 = £1465.58/£1500
    MFiT-T4 #28
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 20th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

Well done on the sales Cazzie, and on the potting

£5.27 potted today.

32b3
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 20th Apr 17, 10:00 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Evening

Well done on the sales Cazzie, and on the potting

£5.27 potted today.

32b3
    Originally posted by 32b3in2013
    Thank you 32b, and excellent potting by you, and the rest of you lot too

Just treated the tiny bro to dinner for lots of recent achievements and some quality bro-sis time (fortunately pre-budgeted for!) Came in much cheaper than expected which was nice as we had a really lovely meal. Was hoping for a nice new fiver but got loads of tiny change instead but there were two shiny new £1 coins in there so they will be taking up residence in my pot tonight!

Nearly the weekend! Hope the sun shines for all of you and hopefully lights up some roadkill xxx

• Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 21st Apr 17, 5:49 PM
    • 8,487 Posts
    • 47,036 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Have a great weekend everyone!
    Hello again Potters! Sorry I'm later than I'd hoped but there's been so much going on here. Still I'm here now and it looks as though you've all been saving extremely well, well done everyone....keep up the good work! I hope everyone had a really lovely Easter and that this weekend will be a good one too! Best wishes to all those who aren't well in any way. Here are {{{{hugs}}}} to you all to get well soon!

Many thanks Cazzie! Y'know its hard to believe you're back after all this time, darn good though! Wonderful potting too!!

Thank you so much, Westie, it's the finger and ribs that are causing most problems but little by little.....

It's great to see you back Sue. We all behaved ourselves it was worth a try with the £5ers eh?

£6.80 potted today.

32b3
    by 32b3in2013

Not sure about that 32b3, I'd love to have seen you telling that to the teller at the bank!! Great savings as always and all the best with the comping!!! Don't forget to do comping here on MSE as jakes-mum has won a fair bit including breaks away!!

Very well done Florence!! I hope you have an amount that you're so pleased with to give for your friend's Wedding and don't forget to add it onto your siggy!!

Great potting mrs-moneypenny!!!! Re the seizure and fall, to be honest after all the years I've had it (life long) I normally don't take a great deal of notice except when it's really nasty falls such as the Butlins one. My poor DH and kiddies have been through it over the years and it's them I feel sorry for as the majority of the time I know nothing about it till I come round. Things could be so much worse though and I'm grateful they're not!!

Ah 50p is better than nowt MLE007!!

Great to hear you on the mend Sue - sounds very similar to the fall I had at the beginning of the year, as I had cracked ribs and broken little finger, so I can empathise with the pain and discomfort. Hope you soon feeling more comfortable.

Sorry I haven't been more supportive on the thread during your enforced absence but I have also been a bit poorly.

Long story short, it seems I brought back a nasty viral infection from my holibobs and had a heart attack last Saturday. They weren't sure what virus I had, as I had some strange symptoms and had come back from Europe only six days prior, so was put in total isolation for four days.

Anyways - I am now home and just finishing course of strong abs. Brain is like blancmange, legs still stuffed with straw and sleeping hours and hours as I'm soo tired.

Think I have to see the doctor in a week or two and meanwhile on low aspirin and blood-thinning drug. I hope they did finally find out what it was as I'd love to know what tried to kill me !

Lx
    Originally posted by lynnejk

Oooh Lynne you've really had a dose of it one way and tother recently! I'm so pleased you're getting better but it must have been horrible at the time! Could it possibly have been the virus that caused the heart attack, doubt it but...?? Take great care of yourself - especially your heart!!! My finger would have been much better had it been taken notice of at the time but the Snr Dr said it wasn't broken so she just taped it to the middle one. After 2 weeks I took it off and it's all hanging down!! I felt a lot like holding the middle one up to them I can tell you!! It's been x-rayed properly now and I have to go to a special clinic (sledge hammer job maybe!). Take great care!

Well done MrsShazbat, the lady from Boots too bless her!

Hi jakes-mum, good to see you to talk to, though a little more often would be brilliant! I've no idea what the devil a fidget toy is, though I'd guess it's something to "play" (fiddle) with?? It'll be a good job once her toe's operated on, a lot less painful too!
    Brilliant work with the £250 and well spotted the 1p!!!

Aha! So you and Cazzie are saving up for cruise holidays too....Mr UU & I also!! Our DGD has been on 3 and absolutely loved every minute! I've always suffered from travel sickness but I've had some pills recommended so I really want to go for DH's sake as it's something he's always longed to do!!

How weird you are with travel sickness, 32b3, I think that beats me!

You're welcome seekingthesunlight, it's so lovely to have you with us. Great work saving, you'll be so proud of yourself in November!!

Ahh bless you Observer, thanks so very much indeed. Really pleased you dropped by, keep saving - hard!!

Thanks a lot Vicky, your thoughts are so appreciated. How about you, are you feeling any better yet?? Well done with the saving, but don't forget DH's usual trails!!!

Very well done Chutney!!

Another £15 for the pot after DH went shopping bless him!!! Also he found a very old coin in the lane on Wednesday, an 1800's one which we need to clean a bit to reveal exactly what it is!

Enjoy fantastic weekend, folks. Keep feeding those pots well!!!

Sue xx

2nd November is the opening date for 2017.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 21-04-2017 at 5:52 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!
    2015 = £52.852.06! 2016= £52, 002.40!!!

• CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 21st Apr 17, 6:01 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Lovely to hear from you Sue-UU, and thank you again for the warm welcome back. I can't tell you how lovely it is to be back here and participating properly and it really does make me want to get more for the pot so I can jump on the board and share it with you all, and get a great total come November 2nd! I only wish it were for a Cruise Fund - perhaps I can enjoy one of those in retirement (knowing my luck that'll probably be about 90 by the time I get there!) But I'm happy to be building my wee Emergency Fund and getting myself in a nice strong position to purchase Cazzie's first pad!

Nothing to pot today sadly, BUT it's all good because nothing was withdrawn and nothing was spent. But over the weekend I am hoping that from the few little purchases I need to make, I'll be getting some shiny new £1s, £2s and £5s - and of course I will be stalking the streets for glints of precious roadkill! Otherwise, if anyone needs me, I'll be in town annoying sales assistants by paying 99ps with £20 notes!

Love to all of you precious potters, I'm off to spend the evening comping my way a little closer to my first million! xxx

• VickyA
    • By VickyA 21st Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    • 4,366 Posts
    • 21,044 Thanks
    VickyA
    Ah, thanks Sue-UU. Still have good days and then some not so good days, but the CBT is beginning to have a positive effect. I've asked work whether I can go part-time from September, but we'll see whether that's possible.

A couple of old £1 coins potted today. Sadly DH hasn't left a coin trail for a while. I obviously haven't taught him as well as I thought.
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 21st Apr 17, 8:52 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Ah, thanks Sue-UU. Still have good days and then some not so good days, but the CBT is beginning to have a positive effect. I've asked work whether I can go part-time from September, but we'll see whether that's possible.
    Originally posted by VickyA
    Hi VickyA. I'm so sorry to hear you've been suffering in what sounds like a very similar way to myself. I've just had the worst few months of my life suffering with mental health issues, and am now having to fund private CBT myself as the services in my area are sadly lacking. Once I'm as well as I can be I plan to do what I can to change this, being a health professional as well as a patient (I'm thinking Cazzie's Crusade - what do you reckon!?) And perhaps the delectable Prince Harry could be my sidekick! I've always loved the young Royals but what they are doing for mental health with their Heads Together campaign is absolutely fantastic. I am very slowly coming out the other side but I send you all my good wishes that things continue to improve for you and you have more good days than not so good days.

Sorry to hijack the board a little there, potters. Just want to send out big love to all of you struggling with any aspect of health, physical or mental or otherwise. We're a little bunch of warriors here, aren't we!? What are the chances we can get those cruises on prescription!? xxx
    Last edited by CazzieLT; 21-04-2017 at 11:18 PM.

• CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 22nd Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Good evening

Whilst we are all the in charge of ourselves I have a confession to make. A couple of months ago I bought a big ceramic piggy bank and so I open the tins I had already filled to put the money in the pig. Whilst I was cutting my way into the tin with the new £5s in i I cut three of them in half longways, should I count those 6 halves as £30 instead
    Originally posted by 32b3in2013
    32b!!!!! I hope you've still got those parts-of-fivers as I just came across this:

http://bit.ly/2mg7AXk

And I quote:

'In fact, even if a note's ripped, smashed or otherwise vandalised, as long as there's enough left to identify what it was they will swap it for a new one.'

All hope is not lost!

Now, how far are you from the Bank of England...!?

Hope there's some good potting going on today for all of you - I'm sure I can hear clinking every now and then! xxx

• Westie983
    • By Westie983 22nd Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 13,830 Thanks
    Westie983
    32b!!!!! I hope you've still got those parts-of-fivers as I just came across this:

http://bit.ly/2mg7AXk

And I quote:

'In fact, even if a note's ripped, smashed or otherwise vandalised, as long as there's enough left to identify what it was they will swap it for a new one.'

All hope is not lost!

Now, how far are you from the Bank of England...!?

Hope there's some good potting going on today for all of you - I'm sure I can hear clinking every now and then! xxx
    Originally posted by CazzieLT
    Any bank you have an account with should accept it even if ripped/damaged as long as you can still see the serial number on both halves.

Then they will bank and send back to BOE for you, as part of damaged out of date or irish/scottish notes.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total £18,855/£12,000 157.12%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (£252) +£158/£500 = 82.00% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £330/£365 = 90.41%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1,350/£1,800 = 75.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (£1,450)+£50/£2,000 = 75.00%

Total £22,445/£16,665 = 134.68%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • CazzieLT
    • By CazzieLT 22nd Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    CazzieLT
    Any bank you have an account with should accept it even if ripped/damaged as long as you can still see the serial number on both halves.

Then they will bank and send back to BOE for you, as part of damaged out of date or irish/scottish notes.

Westie983
    Originally posted by Westie983
    Thanks Westie! That should save 32b a trip to London! xxx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

45Posts Today

2,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin