Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Lucinda
    • By MSE Lucinda 2nd Nov 16, 4:56 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 6Thanks
    MSE Lucinda
    MSE News: Car insurance company's plans to offer discounts based on social media...
    • 2nd Nov 16, 4:56 PM
    MSE News: Car insurance company's plans to offer discounts based on social media... 2nd Nov 16 at 4:56 PM
    Facebook has put the brakes on Admiral's discounted quotes to first-time drivers based on social media posts...
    Read the full story:
    'Car insurance company's plans to offer discounts based on social media posts are blocked by Facebook'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 02-11-2016 at 5:12 PM.
Page 1
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 2nd Nov 16, 5:46 PM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 2nd Nov 16, 5:46 PM
    • 2nd Nov 16, 5:46 PM
    a Facebook spokesperson said: "Protecting the privacy of the people on Facebook is of utmost importance to us.
    Uh, huh...

Unless it involves themselves collecting data, for advertising or selling, that is.

For example: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/facebook-ad-profiles_n_5487372.html
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    o I am humble
    o You are attention seeking
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 2nd Nov 16, 5:55 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 2nd Nov 16, 5:55 PM
    • 2nd Nov 16, 5:55 PM
    To be fair to Admiral (and I don't work for them) they have come up with potentially an innovative way to offer cheaper insurance for selective risks that they want to target.

They have said that they won't use this to put up prices, just discount those they want on their books. Yes I know there are ways of saying things and most definitely there are ways around that, but if it helps lower some new drivers cost of insurance then that's a good thing.

Insurers are limited by the question sets of the comparison sites, they have to find new ways to stay ahead and offer competitive rates for the right risks.

The general public would be very surprised to know of all the data that is used by insurers when calculating a risk, did you know your supermarket loyalty card stores data on spending and shopping habits and insurers use that?

Which is worse, rating on your social media or rating on how often you shop at certain places?

I'm just trying to provide balance to the article.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 2nd Nov 16, 6:25 PM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 2nd Nov 16, 6:25 PM
    • 2nd Nov 16, 6:25 PM
    Which is worse, rating on your social media or rating on how often you shop at certain places?
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    Which is more open to gaming?

It was a bad idea from the get-go.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    o I am humble
    o You are attention seeking
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 2nd Nov 16, 11:26 PM
    • 26,047 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 2nd Nov 16, 11:26 PM
    • 2nd Nov 16, 11:26 PM
    How can they relate facebook likes/comments to your driving? Unless you use facebook whilst driving or brag about racing someone and driving in a dangerous manner?

Cynical me thinks they are just going to collect your user data and sell it on and then use some of that money to reduce your premium.

Too cynical?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 8th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    Maybe they'll judge you by what you have as your profile, eg if you're a boy racer with a car as your photo.
    Or if you hang out with the "lads" and go on the slash all the time.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 8th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    Maybe they'll judge you by what you have as your profile, eg if you're a boy racer with a car as your photo.
    Or if you hang out with the "lads" and go on the slash all the time.
    Originally posted by martinlewisjunior
    Are you referring to stabbing or weeing? Would seem harsh to load your insurance for a weak bladder...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 8th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 5,434 Posts
    • 5,107 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    Going back to the original article:

Even the 'watered down' scheme should cause some pause for thought...

Admiral to launch watered-down social media scheme

Admiral is now preparing to unveil a more basic version of the First Car Quote app, whereby new drivers and first-time car owners will be offered a discount for verifying their identity through Facebook.
    A solicitor's firm suggests a way that this info might be used by insurance companies...

In relation to road traffic accidents, social media is used to investigate claims which are suspected to have been deliberately set up or ‘staged’ to prove the alleged fault, non–fault party and/or witnesses knew each other before the accident. This is easily done by searching through peoples ‘friends’ or ‘contacts’ if a social profile is open for public viewing.

http://www.bottonline.co.uk/blog/social-media-the-internet-and-insurance-companies
    I guess it's good if it helps catch the (more naive) fraudsters.

But on a broader level, it's worth bearing in mind that if you make a claim, your insurer might be reading through your social media to check you out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,915Posts Today

7,732Users online

Martin's Twitter