Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 2nd Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    • 668Posts
    • 2,373Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Climbing the Mountain
    • 2nd Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    Climbing the Mountain 2nd Nov 16 at 4:27 PM
    Hello! I have decided to start my own diary after being a long-time lurker. The inspiration on this forum is just lovely, maybe one day I can inspire someone too!

I do not have any debt, but I have not a bean in savings, pensions, an ISA, equity in property, etc. I currently work part time and qualify for some benefits but am looking for a new or additional job that will bring in a higher wage. I am also looking for new ways to bring in money from the internet, I currently do online surveys and competitions but am not yet seeing much of a return for the amount of time I have put in, so I am not sure if I will continue. I am very good at pinching the pennys so increasing my wages is probably the best way forward.

My main goal is to buy my very own property. I have been renting for decades, and now feel ready and excited to take on the challenge of saving as much as possible for a house deposit or even to buy something with cash. I would love to move to the wilds of Wales where I could live on the top of a misty mountain, but at my age, a retirement flat in Rhyl may be more practical. I am tempted by Ilona's lovely life in North Lincolnshire, so I will keep my options open for now. As long as I have a chimney and a wood burning stove, the animals and I will be happy!

Thank you for stopping by and please say hello!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated with 2017 list of goals so I can see them and edit as the year goes along.

1.Bring in extra £600 a month minimum, increasing income month on month
    2. Actively explore new ways to achieve above
    3. Finish the big de-clutter properly - anything sold, transfer money over to savings after bills are paid so it doesn't get spent
    4. Keep a spending diary in handbag, update after every purchase, review at end of each month
    5. Clean entire house thoroughly and set up a regular cleaning schedule, possibly join flylady
    6. Make and stick to Meal Plans / shopping lists / food budget
    7. Schedule No Spend days/weeks
    8. Transfer odd change to savings account every day
    9. Wombling
    10. Keep Debt-Free diary updated
    11. Budget – make and stick to
    12. Eat proper breakfast/lunch mainly fruit and veg, eat smaller portions for dinner, less carbs/sugar, puddings on special occasions only
    13. Cook most/all meals from scratch
    14. Meatless meals twice a week, increasing as we find recipes we love
    15. Bake once a week
    16. Get off laptop and live in the real world, severely limit online time wasting
    17. Lose 10lbs a month until reaching ideal weight, then maintain it
    18. Take at least 3 long walks a week
    19. Find a local yoga class and give it a try
    20. Figure out how to get a good nights sleep during the change
    21. Build up immune system/personal health
    22. Think before buying, is it really wanted/needed/useful/going to ruin my diet?
    23. Read all books I already own before buying/borrowing more
    24. Ziffit all unwanted books/games/DVDs
    25. Learn a new craft/skill i.e. knitting, quilting, or needlework
    26. Be more present in life, make a point of really listening when people talk
    27. Save for a week away with the family in a secluded holiday cottage in the country
    28. Save up and keep £500 in emergency fund, replenish if spent
    29. Keep on top of filofax planner and spend 10 minutes going over my calender/goals/lists every morning or possibly even the night before.
    30. Have a weekly de-clutter day or half day
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 31-12-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Page 27
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 31st Dec 17, 12:27 PM
    • 5,571 Posts
    • 20,341 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Cheeky lot and good on you for standing up to them

Have a lovely new year xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £6900.00 Cap 1: £467.97 BC: £6900.00

AFD 5/14 NSD 9/17 LTW 11/17
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £878.17/£4000
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 2nd Jan 18, 9:34 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Lots to do, I woke up early and bursting with energy so am very grateful for that!

Goals for today:
    1. Closet sorting out Done
    2. Call to make Dr Appts Done
    3. Top Up Shop - Done
    4. Clothes to Charity Shop -Done
    5. Pick up DD's prescription Done
    6. Update money tracker Done
    7. Find something to make for dinner Done
    8. More laundry Done
    9. Update Calendars Done

I'm not ready to take down the Xmas decorations yet, they make the house look so cosy. It always seems to bare after they are put away. I hope everyone is having a lovely morning xx

Edit - I haven't done too badly today with getting things done. There is something very satisfying about crossing things off lists. I've found enough in the freezer to make dinner and to avoid a top up shop. Aside from that, it's just the clothes for charity and I've decided I'm not going out again today so will put it on tomorrow's to-do list to drop off on the way to the shops.
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 04-01-2018 at 1:59 PM.
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 3rd Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    As often happens, life has gotten in the way of my plans. Ill and grumpy offspring and other various household emergencies have made it impossible to get on with anything so I'm throwing in the towel for today and trying to just keep us all fed and the house reasonably clean. If I can manage that, it will be an accomplishment indeed!
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 3rd Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 5,571 Posts
    • 20,341 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Oh no, hope things improve and said offspring cheer up.

You did really well yesterday with your list.

Big hugs xx

• MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 3rd Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    It didn't turn out too badly PMo2, I just needed to look at things logically and see if there wasn't something, no matter how small, that I could do today rather than feeling like I'd failed. I decided to walk into town this afternoon despite the weather and do a couple of errands on my way to the shops.

I was very fortunate to receive a loooovely four-wheeled shopping trolley for Xmas that belonged to my MIL. It was originally fairly expensive but she never used it and was happy to let it go. It's possibly my favourite present! Very sturdy and good quality, it will make life much easier and I'm glad to see the back of my far-too-small two-wheel trolley that was such a pain to use, I rarely took it out. I put it and the bags of donation clothes into the new trolley and dropped them off at the charity shop in town. I also got in some exercise by not taking the car so am well pleased.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 3rd Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 5,571 Posts
    • 20,341 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    You've been busy today it's nice when you get something you like to use too.

Hope you didn't get too wind blown xx

• MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 4th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    It wasn't very cold but the wind did try to steal my loaded trolley a few times!

Goals for today:

Take down Xmas decorations Done
    Clean front room Done
    Exercise Done
    Check websites for new jobs available Done
    Sort out healthy supper Done
    Look at flylady thread
    Make a start on my 2018 goals Started
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 04-01-2018 at 4:41 PM.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 4th Jan 18, 2:15 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 10,213 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Sounds like a positive day!

Well done on the exercise.

Took my tree down yesterday & it all looks sad.

Dxxx
    CWP start 16st2lbs, current 15st5lbs, lost 11lbs
    Debt Free 21st December 2017, £15,000 paid off in 2017
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 4th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 5,571 Posts
    • 20,341 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hope you didn't get too wind blown today.

Sounds like a very productive day.

We took our decs down at the weekend, it's nice to get back to normal.

• MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 4th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thanks both, I was able to get most things done, I'm just off to look at the flylady thread now while dinner is cooking.

The Xmas decorations make our house seem so cosy, I always feel a bit of a loss when they come down. It is nice to have everything nice and neat again, I'm trying to figure out how I can keep a cosy feeling throughout the year.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 5,235 Posts
    • 9,940 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I can empathise on the adult slobs MIsty although my 2 DDs now adult with their own homes have thankfully left the untidy and uncooperative teen/uni years behind them. I think as they get bigger and louder and take up more space it is nature’s way of telling you they need to flee the nest.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 4th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I think as they get bigger and louder and take up more space it is nature’s way of telling you they need to flee the nest.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver

That's quite funny ES - I thought I must be a bad mum for wanting them to go off and live their own lives. Most of them are out of the house (though only at uni, so home for holidays etc and still expect their own rooms and us to look after and store their belongings). I love them all dearly but I am quite looking forward to a time when my life is totally my own again.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Jan 18, 7:03 PM
    • 5,235 Posts
    • 9,940 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    No need for guilt or to think you are a bad mum. Kids are supposed to gradually learn how to be independent. I am convinced they only do this once they have been left to fend for themselves and realise no one picks up after them. Not a great thing to try though when it is your house and you have to live in the mess too. The trouble is house costs are so high adult kids tend to live at home a lot longer than they used to.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 4th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    The trouble is house costs are so high adult kids tend to live at home a lot longer than they used to.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    I've actually considered buying a 1 bed flat when we leave this house so if the kids do come back home, it won't be comfortable enough for them to want to stay long term... to be honest though a 1 bed flat may be all I can afford.
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 5th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I'm a bit tired this morning, I didn't get to sleep until after 12:00 and was up at 6:30. I was surrounded last night by people with the lurgy - I washed my hands about every 30 mins and am hopeful I will not catch it.

I don't have a big list today but there are still some things I'd like to get done:

Exercise Done
    Clean dining room Done
    Look at flylady thread Done
    Sort out healthy dinner Done
    look for / apply for jobs Done
    Update money tracker - first on my list for tomorrow
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 05-01-2018 at 7:38 PM.
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 6th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I'm mainly staying home today. I feel a bit drained but there is no reason for it, I slept like a log and even had a little lie in.

I have dinner sorted, these the other things to get done:
    exercise - taking the day off as not feeling great
    load of laundry done
    tidy outside space Done
    deep clean kitchen Done
    update money tracker Done
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 06-01-2018 at 3:41 PM.
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 8th Jan 18, 9:20 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I've caught the lurgy so am not planning on doing anything physical today, instead I will concentrate on drinking plenty of water, planning, applying for jobs, etc.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 8th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 5,571 Posts
    • 20,341 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    The lurgy is certainly doing the rounds at the moment.

Hope you feel better soon xx

• Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 8th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 10,213 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Yup sure is doing the rounds.

Rest up.

Dxxx
    CWP start 16st2lbs, current 15st5lbs, lost 11lbs
    Debt Free 21st December 2017, £15,000 paid off in 2017
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 11th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    My cold seems to be getting worse rather than better. It's not settled on my chest (as they often do) but I am hacking away with a dry cough and generally feeling rough.

I don't think there's much else I can do other than rest and drink lots of water. I'm going to use the day to make some plans and plot out timelines for some goals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,084Posts Today

10,050Users online

Martin's Twitter