Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 2nd Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    • 603Posts
    • 2,065Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Climbing the Mountain
    • 2nd Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    Climbing the Mountain 2nd Nov 16 at 4:27 PM
    Hello! I have decided to start my own diary after being a long-time lurker. The inspiration on this forum is just lovely, maybe one day I can inspire someone too!

I do not have any debt, but I have not a bean in savings, pensions, an ISA, equity in property, etc. I currently work part time and qualify for some benefits but am looking for a new or additional job that will bring in a higher wage. I am also looking for new ways to bring in money from the internet, I currently do online surveys and competitions but am not yet seeing much of a return for the amount of time I have put in, so I am not sure if I will continue. I am very good at pinching the pennys so increasing my wages is probably the best way forward.

My main goal is to buy my very own property. I have been renting for decades, and now feel ready and excited to take on the challenge of saving as much as possible for a house deposit or even to buy something with cash. I would love to move to the wilds of Wales where I could live on the top of a misty mountain, but at my age, a retirement flat in Rhyl may be more practical. I am tempted by Ilona's lovely life in North Lincolnshire, so I will keep my options open for now. As long as I have a chimney and a wood burning stove, the animals and I will be happy!

Thank you for stopping by and please say hello!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated with 2017 list of goals so I can see them and edit as the year goes along.

1.Bring in extra £600 a month minimum, increasing income month on month
    2. Actively explore new ways to achieve above
    3. Finish the big de-clutter properly - anything sold, transfer money over to savings after bills are paid so it doesn't get spent
    4. Keep a spending diary in handbag, update after every purchase, review at end of each month
    5. Clean entire house thoroughly and set up a regular cleaning schedule, possibly join flylady
    6. Make and stick to Meal Plans / shopping lists / food budget
    7. Schedule No Spend days/weeks
    8. Transfer odd change to savings account every day
    9. Wombling
    10. Keep Debt-Free diary updated
    11. Budget – make and stick to
    12. Eat proper breakfast/lunch mainly fruit and veg, eat smaller portions for dinner, less carbs/sugar, puddings on special occasions only
    13. Cook most/all meals from scratch
    14. Meatless meals twice a week, increasing as we find recipes we love
    15. Bake once a week
    16. Get off laptop and live in the real world, severely limit online time wasting
    17. Lose 10lbs a month until reaching ideal weight, then maintain it
    18. Take at least 3 long walks a week
    19. Find a local yoga class and give it a try
    20. Figure out how to get a good nights sleep during the change
    21. Build up immune system/personal health
    22. Think before buying, is it really wanted/needed/useful/going to ruin my diet?
    23. Read all books I already own before buying/borrowing more
    24. Ziffit all unwanted books/games/DVDs
    25. Learn a new craft/skill i.e. knitting, quilting, or needlework
    26. Be more present in life, make a point of really listening when people talk
    27. Save for a week away with the family in a secluded holiday cottage in the country
    28. Save up and keep £500 in emergency fund, replenish if spent
    29. Keep on top of filofax planner and spend 10 minutes going over my calender/goals/lists every morning or possibly even the night before.
    30. Have a weekly de-clutter day or half day
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 31-12-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Page 24
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 11th Aug 17, 1:06 PM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 18,447 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    There definitely will be something just around the corner, you're determined enough to make it happen

I'm not sure that I could sell on ebay permanently, I'd get too frustrated with waiting for things to sell

Hope you don't have to sell your equipment.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7000.00 Cap 1: £493.40 BC: £5000.00

AFD 0/10 NSD 0/10 LTW 0/10

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 11th Aug 17, 1:38 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Misty I suggest you look back at how upset you were at not having your equipment when you had to let it go last time.
    Selling it would be a very short term gain, ( one months debt?) whilst keeping it will give you the opportunity to do what you enjoy and actually make some money at some stage in the future. (just pretend you sold it to pay last months debt and it's not there now to sell)
    How involved are OH and family in the debt busting? Are they a help or a hinderance? If the latter put your foot down and make them contribute more if you can.

Really hoping that things start looking up for you soon ((hugs)) x
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 11th Aug 17, 2:21 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thank you both for your replies. That's what's keeping me from selling it yet Chrystal, I was so upset before and then to replace it with something inferior was a huge let down!! When I had time to do the sideline I wasn't the only one bringing in an income, but recent events have changed all that so I am now the sole supporter of the family. I have no idea if I'll have the time or energy to keep any of it going once I'm working full time, but I am hoping I will.

Thankfully the family are very aware of the situation so no one is spending unnecessarily (they can't, as there is no money to spend! ) We're busy using up the store of food in the cupboards, trying to be inventive. I really wonder what I was thinking buying some of it! In years gone by I would have donated it to a food bank or even tossed it if it was very out of date. Now I am glad to have it though some of the meals haven't been brilliant. I re-read "how I lived on a pound a day" by Kath Kelly and also her very skint cookbook, "Square Meals for Tough Times". I have found both to be very inspiring and it's helped me to look at our situation as a challenge rather than getting depressed or upset, it's definitely helping to keep me motivated and positive.

DD is doing odd jobs to supplement her very small amount of pocket money and has told me to forget about pocket money altogether until things improve. We have no debt but have no savings and are very much living hand to mouth until I can find a full time job. I am going to the council to see if we might qualify for any more benefits with the new situation but after my last dealings and having them stopped altogether because of their mistake, I don't trust what they say and would rather not depend on anything from them if possible.
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Aug 17, 8:32 PM
    • 2,459 Posts
    • 20,171 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Your dd sounds wonderful. Yes misty, the perfect job will find you.
    I love the kath Kelly book, off to re read too!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 11th Aug 17, 9:03 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thank you earthgirl!!!
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 15th Aug 17, 11:50 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I have pinpointed my weakest link in getting things accomplished and it is very simply organisation and planning. I know what to do, how to do it, and am somewhat motivated to get it done, but at the end of many days it feels as though I have done nothing at all.

I've been using the timer/alarm on my phone which has helped a great deal but I think I need to get back to actually scheduling things, almost like appointments - I tend to get even the jobs I don't like finished if there is a specific time set aside for it. I'm not sure whether to make a daily, weekly, or monthly plans, or maybe a version of all three. It's one of those things that I am great at starting out on but not so great following through and keeping up. I've probably posted something similar to this several times since I've been a member here, you all are probably thinking "oh no not this again...."

It's obviously important but I'm not sure how to make it actually stick. I'll keep it up for a few weeks and forget about it, even though during those few weeks things run smoothly and I accomplish a huge amount.

Otherwise I'm still positive and motivated, selling on ebay is going well and this month's bill are covered. I'm making a start on September's bills, it's nice to have some breathing room but I must make sure I don't drop the ball or I'll soon be in a panic over next month!
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 16th Aug 17, 9:43 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I had a plan mapped out for today but something unexpected has come up and I won't be back home until later tonight. I have appointments tomorrow so will put the plan in place on Friday. It's funny how frustrated I feel by having my plan upset - had I not made a plan, I wouldn't have cared at all!
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 16th Aug 17, 11:02 AM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 18,447 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hope the unexpected is something nice

Have a great day x

• MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 16th Aug 17, 7:47 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Hope the unexpected is something nice

Have a great day x
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    unfortunately not but at least I managed the day without spending any money which is pretty good!
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 17th Aug 17, 10:59 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    One of my appointments was cancelled and I'm already back home from the other that I thought would take at least an hour but took about 5 minutes! I was restless last evening so spent a couple hours tidying the house, waking up to a fairly clutter free and clean house is a lovely thing.

I'm going sit down now and work on a plan for each day (M-F) until the end of the month, figure out what to cook for dinner, then spend the afternoon chilling. Either reading a book or watching a movie, something that feels decadent because I wouldn't normally do it during the day. I'm going to make a proper coffee as well and just enjoy relaxing in a clean and tidy house.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 17th Aug 17, 1:41 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Hope you're feeling OK Misty, and enjoying your 'relax' time. X
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 17th Aug 17, 1:49 PM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 18,447 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Enjoy your 'me' time, well needed x

• earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 17th Aug 17, 5:30 PM
    • 2,459 Posts
    • 20,171 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Hope the relax time was good. Looking forward to hearing more about your plans misty. Well done on Ebay. I should probably make some time for that!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 17th Aug 17, 11:13 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    My plan to make a plan didn't go as planned.

I started looking for the book I wanted to read in the afternoon and instead of actually waiting until the afternoon, I just sat down with a coffee and started reading. It was so lovely and I feel no guilt at all. I must make more time to do this for myself, such a simple thing and it makes me so very happy.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 18th Aug 17, 8:36 AM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 18,447 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    My plan to make a plan didn't go as planned.

I started looking for the book I wanted to read in the afternoon and instead of actually waiting until the afternoon, I just sat down with a coffee and started reading. It was so lovely and I feel no guilt at all. I must make more time to do this for myself, such a simple thing and it makes me so very happy.
    Originally posted by MistyMountainTop
    Ah I love reading, time passes so quickly though Glad you had a good relax, you need it x

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 23rd Aug 17, 4:48 PM
    • 8,149 Posts
    • 43,037 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ha - another here who can get utterly lost in a good book! So pleased to hear you're setting aside time just for you, as well. definitely important!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 30th Aug 17, 11:45 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Another week has slipped by.... I've been very busy sorting out life!

Mainly I've been working on getting the things done that need to be done rather than putting them further down the list and doing the things that are more enjoyable instead. My motivation has started to lag a bit so I'm concentrating on all I've done and how good it will feel to get the rest finished to try and keep positive. Of course it's an ongoing list - it will never actually be finished!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 30th Aug 17, 11:53 AM
    • 8,149 Posts
    • 43,037 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    This is the universal truth of lists, I've found. There is a degree of pleasure in having done enough stuff from the first list that you can reasonably justify re-writing it all without the crossed out bits, though!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 2nd Sep 17, 7:54 PM
    • 2,459 Posts
    • 20,171 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Hope you are still busy misty, well done for keeping it going!
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 6th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thank you both! There was another family emergency that got me off track a bit, so I need to get my backside in gear to make sure I can pay the bills this month. I wish all the drama would just stop, unfortunately life isn't like that, is it?

I know there are lots of people who absolutely love the summer holidays but I am so thankful that school has started again. I have a very hard time keeping any kind of routine going over the summer and so many areas of our lives slide into utter chaos. My DD is also now a teenager with all the moodiness that comes with it, she is lovely but sometimes I just need a break.

I had an interview but it was for something that needed a bit more experience than I have (my knowledge of their software is quite out-of-date) so it was no surprise that it went to someone else. I'm going to see if there is a free online course to get me back up to speed as I'd love to find work that is mentally stimulating and pays a good wage, (well above minimum wage anyway!) as this job did.

The other option is to try and find two part time jobs but honestly I don't have the energy for all the hassles associated with it. If it comes down to it I will do what is necessary but I am not giving up hope. My DH has said to remember that the benefits will start up again at some point (though who knows when?) but I am very wary of depending on them after what happened last time and would far rather have a decent paying job to support us all. I am still looking in near-ish cities, but once train fare is taken into account, not many pay enough for it to be worthwhile. DH was wondering if possibly my age is making me less attractive to potential employers. I was a bit surprised to think this could be the case - when are you considered "too old"? I'm only in my 50's!!!

This morning is the first time I've had proper peace and quiet in ages so I am going to use it to get back on track with goals, lists, plans, and lots of coffee. There is a lot to do around the house but I am exhausted so could do with a non-physical day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin