Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 2nd Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    • 595Posts
    • 2,011Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Climbing the Mountain
    • 2nd Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    Climbing the Mountain 2nd Nov 16 at 4:27 PM
    Hello! I have decided to start my own diary after being a long-time lurker. The inspiration on this forum is just lovely, maybe one day I can inspire someone too!

I do not have any debt, but I have not a bean in savings, pensions, an ISA, equity in property, etc. I currently work part time and qualify for some benefits but am looking for a new or additional job that will bring in a higher wage. I am also looking for new ways to bring in money from the internet, I currently do online surveys and competitions but am not yet seeing much of a return for the amount of time I have put in, so I am not sure if I will continue. I am very good at pinching the pennys so increasing my wages is probably the best way forward.

My main goal is to buy my very own property. I have been renting for decades, and now feel ready and excited to take on the challenge of saving as much as possible for a house deposit or even to buy something with cash. I would love to move to the wilds of Wales where I could live on the top of a misty mountain, but at my age, a retirement flat in Rhyl may be more practical. I am tempted by Ilona's lovely life in North Lincolnshire, so I will keep my options open for now. As long as I have a chimney and a wood burning stove, the animals and I will be happy!

Thank you for stopping by and please say hello!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated with 2017 list of goals so I can see them and edit as the year goes along.

1.Bring in extra £600 a month minimum, increasing income month on month
    2. Actively explore new ways to achieve above
    3. Finish the big de-clutter properly - anything sold, transfer money over to savings after bills are paid so it doesn't get spent
    4. Keep a spending diary in handbag, update after every purchase, review at end of each month
    5. Clean entire house thoroughly and set up a regular cleaning schedule, possibly join flylady
    6. Make and stick to Meal Plans / shopping lists / food budget
    7. Schedule No Spend days/weeks
    8. Transfer odd change to savings account every day
    9. Wombling
    10. Keep Debt-Free diary updated
    11. Budget – make and stick to
    12. Eat proper breakfast/lunch mainly fruit and veg, eat smaller portions for dinner, less carbs/sugar, puddings on special occasions only
    13. Cook most/all meals from scratch
    14. Meatless meals twice a week, increasing as we find recipes we love
    15. Bake once a week
    16. Get off laptop and live in the real world, severely limit online time wasting
    17. Lose 10lbs a month until reaching ideal weight, then maintain it
    18. Take at least 3 long walks a week
    19. Find a local yoga class and give it a try
    20. Figure out how to get a good nights sleep during the change
    21. Build up immune system/personal health
    22. Think before buying, is it really wanted/needed/useful/going to ruin my diet?
    23. Read all books I already own before buying/borrowing more
    24. Ziffit all unwanted books/games/DVDs
    25. Learn a new craft/skill i.e. knitting, quilting, or needlework
    26. Be more present in life, make a point of really listening when people talk
    27. Save for a week away with the family in a secluded holiday cottage in the country
    28. Save up and keep £500 in emergency fund, replenish if spent
    29. Keep on top of filofax planner and spend 10 minutes going over my calender/goals/lists every morning or possibly even the night before.
    30. Have a weekly de-clutter day or half day
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 31-12-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Page 20
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 5th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Unfortunately rain has put off my outside project. I'm getting a lot of inside jobs done though, so all is not lost!
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 7,556 Posts
    • 39,412 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    My Mum worked from home when I was a child Misty - and the deal was always that I could interrupt her if something was urgent - properly urgent (she always said - if I or someone else was hurt, or someone or something was in actual danger) - but otherwise there was a 5 minute window once an hour when she'd set work aside for a chat, to make a cuppa etc, and she always made sure that there was a lunch break factored in there which she'd spend with me too. Beyond that though I had to understand that work was work, and that I was lucky not to have her *out* at work.

Maybe make sure that they have lots of activities, games etc ready to go so that there's not the boredom factor involved? Easier when there's more than one at a guess - as an only child it was a bit challenging at times.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£450.55 (14/08/17)
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 12th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thanks EssexH. One of the problems is that I work in the dining room and our front door leads directly into the dining room. Anyone coming in or out, going to the kitchen or front room, has to walk through. Unfortunately it's the only room where there is space for me to spread the things out. I did lose it a bit and let them know how important it was for me to get my work done uninterrupted but I was very shouty and I don't know if it actually sank in. I think they were in shock that I was shouting because I very rarely do it.

In other things, I got the large job done, it only took half a day and I feel so much better now without it hanging over my head. I'm still updating the spreadsheet every day so know down to the last penny what I have in each account, I finally got around to adding things like paypal and amazon vouchers as well. I'm doing well on my diet and walking, but I haven't weighed myself in weeks so can't update my sig yet.

My jobs are very thin on the ground at the moment, so I'm trying to do evilbay etc. in between trying to get more work. There are other avenues of online income I'd like to look into but they all take time to set up and understand properly - at the moment I don't feel I have the time or energy to start anything else. I think if we are going to be able to pay our bills I will need to change my attitude and get organised so I do have the time. I'd like a desk to keep everything in one place and have a proper work area, at the moment I use the dining room table and put everything in a box of folders when I'm done. I often need to remind myself that many people have done far more than me when they were in far more inconvenient situations. I really should watch The Pursuit of Happyness again, it always lights a fire under my backside...
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 22nd Jun 17, 9:09 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I've picked up a few small jobs but next week am planning to do a big marketing campaign to try and get my book filled for the rest of the year. That's the only problem for me being self-employed - it is totally up to me to get my behind in gear and get the work or I'll never be able to do it full time. I've been an employee for such a long time, having the full responsibility on my shoulders is a new experience. It's shown me where my shortcomings lie and how important it is that I organise myself and am more assertive about putting myself forward for work. Until I'm firmly established,(and probably long after as well) the jobs won't be coming to me so I need to go get them!

Not had time to watch the Happyness movie yet, but am planning on doing it soon. Can anyone recommend any other inspiring movies?

I've been staying away from social media except for the marketing side, and it feels so good. When I occasionally look at the drivel that has been posted I can see that I haven't missed anything. There are so many people that seem to live on fb, posting their every movement. I don't understand why anyone would want to do that - it's not interesting for anyone to read and just seems a bit sad. These are older adults too who should know better.

Spreadsheet is being updated daily, down to the last penny. It has been really helpful in stopping me spending without thinking much about it. I've also been eating very well and exercising but have yet to lose any weight. It's frustrating but I'm going to keep going.

hope everyone is surviving in this heat! xx
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 22nd Jun 17, 9:39 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Hi Misty,

Nice to see your update . I hope you manage to pick up some more work.

I agree with social media, I've deleted all the apps from my phone and occasionally check Facebook on Internet browser from time to time. I tend to lurk more on here now.

I hope your healthy eating and exercising pays off. Alot of people I know do not weigh but go by the way their clothes fit. I'm trying at the moment to choose better food choices and it is hard sometimes especially in this heat!

It's alot cooler today though and it's trying to rain but doesn't seem to be getting anywhere

Have a good day.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 22nd Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 16,035 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hi Misty,

Nice to see your update.

I totally agree about FB, some people really do post carp on there.

Good luck with the bookings, I'm sure you'll have loads that you'll be turning some away

Bit cooler my end today and I think rain is due xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7550.00 Cap 1: £557.64 BC: £4040.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 22nd Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 7,556 Posts
    • 39,412 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Also not a fan of FB - I still use it but mostly for posting photos rather than "life updates" type stuff. Also finding the quantity of "SelfSelfSelfies" on Twitter these days a bit offputting - seems that every second person out there who's quick as a flash to tell you how much they hate pics of themselves is bunging them up there faster than you can blink! Ahh well - takes all sorts!

No question the eating better and moving more approach to life definitely does work - I'm finding the exercise side of things really hard work in this weather but trying to stick with it. Looking at the way your clothes fit is as good a measure of how you're doing as anything too - you can also try measurements of specific areas if you're someone who needs hard figures as proof?

In the spirit of fitting in with the pattern above, I can report that it's a little cooler here but no sign of rain yet!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 29th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 16,035 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning Misty,

Hope you're okay? x

• MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 30th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thanks for checking in on me! I'm doing well but am so busy I can hardly get online. I will post an update asap!
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 30th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 16,035 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Glad things are busy, that's great news.

Hope you're feeling a bit better now too? X

• MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 3rd Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thanks purplemo2! I'm feeling pretty good, not much pain and I even have some energy!

I am really busy at the moment so have been quite mindful about staying away from the internet except for things to do with the side business or making money. I will find a free evening soon to catch up with everyone. Aside from this website, I don't miss being away from forums/fb at all. I'm feeling much more connected to real life and have even had the chance to hang out with a couple of friends I hadn't seen in a long time. It's put me in a positive mood and I feel like I'm waking up from a long sleep. I don't even want to think about the thousands of hours I've wasted over the years on social media - I could have used that time to learn something new or start the sideline much earlier. No use crying for things I could have done, but it's not going to continue.

I was reading about how young people aren't taking up learning a musical instrument or learning some craft, art or sport in the same numbers that they did even 10 years ago. Part of it is blamed on school cutting music and art programs but a large part is blamed on social media - children have passive entertainment at their fingertips, they are no longer bored and looking for new things to do in the same way that past generations did. It struck me as a very sad thing and I wondered how it could be changed or if we are too far down the line to do anything.

I have realised that there are areas of my sideline where I need more experience and training. Some of the things I can learn online so I've been watching videos etc. to help me. I was going to sign up to a course but realised that I can improve quite a bit with free videos, it will take a little more work but it's shocking that my first instinct was to pay for it - I thought my thrifty ways went deeper than that! If I don't make the progress I'm hoping for then I may end up doing a course but I need to make a concerted effort with the free videos first.

I've been checking out my competition - seeing what they are doing that I'm not or how I can incorporate some of their techniques into my own work. I've also discovered Canva and have been making my own marketing materials that look better than the ones I paid for at the Vistapr**t. The only prob is it's so easy to get involved in a new design that before I know it 3 hours are gone.

Aside from that I'm ebaying and decluttering, doing surveys, mystery shopping, getting rid of the hobby items I talked about months ago - anything to bring in the money. I have only 3 paid jobs booked this month and two in August so I need to push the marketing side of things a bit harder.

I hope everyone is well and I will catch up with you all soon xxx
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 3rd Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 3,022 Posts
    • 26,428 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Misty - what a happy and positive post, well done you. Nothing much changed here, but have got teensy bit more energy so trying to achieve some tidying of my garden which was my pride and joy, but is now a wilderness. Baby steps as don't want to do too much and then crash.

Loved your update, long may this good spell continue.
    MM x
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 3rd Jul 17, 12:47 PM
    • 7,556 Posts
    • 39,412 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    That's an amazing post Misty! Well done to you!!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 9th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Sorry I haven't had time to update - we have had some traumatic events happen that I don't want go into on a public forum, I've been keeping up the sideline but my heart hasn't been in it. It is likely that I will soon need to find full time work, the money coming in from the sideline has been increasing bit by bit but I need a dependable income to support us ASAP.

Healthwise I'm still doing well, not losing weight but clothes are starting to feel roomier and thankfully I still have a fair amount of energy.

Hope everyone is doing well xxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 9th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 9,292 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Aw MMT sorry to hear that.

Here if you need us.

Dxxx
    Goals
    Debt free by Christmas 2017
    Save for Christmas 2017
    Goal weight of 10st 7lbs by Christmas
    Add to deposit savings
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 16th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thank you Dolly! Just sitting down for an hour and catching up on everyone's diaries.

Things here are quite stressful at the moment, and I've not sorted out a full time job. There don't seem to be many about, everything I've seen is 12-16 hours a week or zero hour contract. I'm finishing up the sideline jobs I had already booked so feel like I'm not concentrating on the right things but I won't let the people down who hired me, it's not in my nature to abandon jobs I've agreed to do. I'm not sure what to do for the best as far as future sideline jobs go - I don't know how long it will take to find a full time job so the extra money coming in from the sideline would be a help. On the other hand if I happen to get a full time job fairly quickly, I won't have time to work on the sideline and I can't book jobs with the proviso that I will only do them if I have the time. No one would hire me, it would give me a bad rep and is just unprofessional.

I'm 350 points away from a payout on yougov, so getting a bit excited about that. I wish the surveys came a bit faster, I tend to enjoy those ones the most as well as they are on a variety of topics.

Healthwise I'm ok, but feeling a bit burnt out. I could do with getting away from the whole situation for a few weeks but that would make everything much worse so need to stay focused and work out the best course of action. It's very much a case of doing what needs to be done to keep a roof over our heads and trying to keep the "but I don't want to do that" out of it. I am tired but I know it's the stress and until I have a decent regular wage coming in, I won't be able to truly relax.

I hope everyone is doing well xx
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 16th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I hope things work out for you Misty and you find a permanent job.

You may not be losing weight but your clothes are roomier, there's good sign.

All the best x
    Check out my Diary
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 16th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 18,919 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Hope you get the work/ job you need misty. Good luck!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 7,556 Posts
    • 39,412 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ahh Misty hoping everything is OK with you. xx
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 18th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 16,035 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hope you're ok hun? xx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,288Posts Today

9,357Users online

Martin's Twitter