Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 2nd Nov 16, 2:08 PM
    • 287Posts
    • 177Thanks
    rob7475
    Hyundai IX35 clutch / gearbox problems
    • 2nd Nov 16, 2:08 PM
    Hyundai IX35 clutch / gearbox problems 2nd Nov 16 at 2:08 PM
    Hi,

I have a 14 plate IX35 with 54,000 miles on the clock. A couple of weeks ago I started having problems getting into 6th gear - it was very notchy and I needed to really shove the car into gear. I booked the car into the local dealer for the problem to be looked at today. Between making the booking and today arriving, I also started having the same trouble getting into 4th. All the other gears are fine.

The garage have called and they believe the clutch may be faulty but can't be sure until they strip the gearbox (4 hours labour). If it's a wear and tear fault, I'll be liable to pay the cost.

I've driven for nearly 20 years and owned cars with over 150,000 miles that still run on the original clutch. I've never had to have a clutch replaced and I find it hard to believe that a 2 year old car would need a new clutch.

I've had a look through various forums and there seems to be a lot of people complaining about clutch wear on various Hyundai models.

If the garage says it's wear and tear, how do I fight it? I've already got Hyundai UK involved who are going to investigate but I'm guessing I won't get far.

Thanks
    Last edited by rob7475; 02-11-2016 at 2:08 PM. Reason: typo
Page 2
    • gabitzul
    • By gabitzul 11th Nov 16, 9:15 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    gabitzul
    Good result so far, keep us updated.

I think it's rare to see manual gearbox issues these days (unless mistreated and/or not maintained), so it will be interesting to see the outcome.
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 17th Nov 16, 4:00 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    rob7475
    Latest update. Hyundai have instructed the dealership to replace the synchro rings on 4th and 6th gears.

I'm really hacked off with the dealer for trying to tell me the clutch was worn when it's obvious it isn't. Since I've got Hyundai involved they've started dragging their heels and taking an age to do anything. Hyundai are having to chase them every other day to see what they're doing with the car which in my opinion isn't acceptable.

Hopefully will have the car back next week - will post a final (hopefully) update then.
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 17th Nov 16, 4:06 PM
    • 2,260 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    movilogo
    Since you mentioned EGR valve, I assume yours is a diesel ix35. They do have problems with clutch. Good that Hyundai is sorting it under warranty as clutch is often considered wear-&-tear item!

Buying an automatic is a good idea to avoid this issue
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 24th Nov 16, 1:16 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    rob7475
    Yes it's the diesel model.

Dealer called me yesterday to say car was repaired and ready for collection. They've changed the synchro's on 4th and 6th and also replaced the clutch under warranty.

Picked the car up, 5 minutes down the road, onto a dual carriageway and car won't stay in 6th. As soon as you put your foot on the accelerator, the car pops out of 6th.

Car's back in garage now - I'm more than a little annoyed with them
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 24th Nov 16, 2:43 PM
    • 12,508 Posts
    • 16,702 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Had the same problem with a Kia Sportage.

I thought it was the clutch but told that it was a gearbox problem and synchro rings replaced. Failed again the day after getting it back. Awkward getting any gear then no drive at all.

Turned out that the clutch was faulty, the damaged syncro rings were a symptom. They had the car for about four weeks. Awkward because were had a holiday booked in that period. Customer services excellent and provided hire cars. It actually worked out in our favour in the end as it saved us a fortune in airport parking.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 24th Nov 16, 2:44 PM
    • 12,508 Posts
    • 16,702 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Buying an automatic is a good idea to avoid this issue
    Originally posted by movilogo
    Autos are full of clutches.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Gilly07
    • By Gilly07 19th May 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gilly07
    we also have a Hyundai IX35 and there was a problem with selecting 6th gear, there was a crunching every time. After the service man taking a test drive in the car he came back to tell me the car would also neee a clutch plate and bearings which wasn't covered under warranty!! So this must be a common problem with all these cars!!
    • Sparklytori
    • By Sparklytori 20th May 17, 7:28 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Sparklytori
    Just to add I've got a Hyundai i10 63 plate and the clutch failed at 4 months old!! I had to get Hyundai UK involved and they were really good and got it sorted much quicker than the garage was prepared to.
    Hope it works out well and you get it repaired under warranty.
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 20th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    rob7475
    we also have a Hyundai IX35 and there was a problem with selecting 6th gear, there was a crunching every time. After the service man taking a test drive in the car he came back to tell me the car would also neee a clutch plate and bearings which wasn't covered under warranty!! So this must be a common problem with all these cars!!
    Originally posted by Gilly07
    That's how mine started - trouble getting into 6th and a crunching. The dealer couldn't get it in for a couple of weeks and in that time the problem started with 4th too.

If the dealership are unwilling to help, you'll need to complain to Hyundai UK to get them to investigate.

Out of interest, what age and mileage is your car?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,194Users online

Martin's Twitter