Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 2nd Nov 16, 9:51 AM
    • 2,098Posts
    • 6,974Thanks
    MallyGirl
    5k to 10k Support Thread
    • 2nd Nov 16, 9:51 AM
    5k to 10k Support Thread 2nd Nov 16 at 9:51 AM
    I have started a new thread for the journey beyond 'Couch to 5k'.

Having done 'Couch to 5k' 5 years ago for a Race For Life and then a couple of ParkRuns I stopped running - I can't remember why now.
    Anyway I decided to have another go at getting fitter as the big 50 is looming this year. I signed up for a free 'improve your ParkRun PB' program, laced up the trainers and set off. The first run to measure my PR start point wasn't too bad after such a gap - 37 minutes. In the 6 weeks of the program I got my PB down to 31:44. I am carrying on with the weekly running club as I have enjoyed it.

I have now downloaded a 5k to 10k app to see if I can improve - I would love to break 30 mins for 5k and not be in need of oxygen. I have no idea if the app / plan is any good as I did not get a recommendation and I don't know anyone who has tried it. There are plenty of plans online but I wanted one that would talk me through the workouts when it came to the ones with a variety of speeds in a single session. The one I chose is called 5k to 10k by Active - it is a 9 week plan but Christmas falls in the middle so we shall see.

On Monday I made a start on the plan (week 1 day 1) and it was interesting. It said 20 min steady run - so you could hold a conversation. I found that quite comfortable and accidentally did 25 mins (plus warm up/cool down) when I didn't hear the instruction to stop running! My pace wasn't that much slower than my PR but I felt I could have carried on for a fair bit more. I am dead at the end of a PR.
    Last night I did run club and covered 4.1k in 27:34. I think I need to plan a bit better as I could have used run club as week 1 day 1. My hip is aching today (first had this on Saturday after the PR) so it is a rest day apart from a gentle dog walk this morning.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Page 3
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 28th Nov 16, 9:40 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    still injured - will not run again till it is sorted. Just keeping moving as it seizes when I don't move at all
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 2nd Dec 16, 4:57 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Good news is that it is not a stress fracture. Apparently there is a little spur of bone on my heel but that should not have caused this.
    Bad news is that they have no other suggestions - just more RICE till a GP follow up on 13th. I can't get a shoe on any more due to the swelling - it is a good job I work from home.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 2nd Dec 16, 7:09 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 16,366 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good news is that it is not a stress fracture. Apparently there is a little spur of bone on my heel but that should not have caused this.
    Bad news is that they have no other suggestions - just more RICE till a GP follow up on 13th. I can't get a shoe on any more due to the swelling - it is a good job I work from home.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    yay sort of good news then.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 3rd Dec 16, 6:12 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 6,627 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Hope it's feeling better really soon.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 22nd Dec 16, 10:29 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am finally starting to recover. I did get referred for an MRI but by the time the appointment came round it was finally starting to get a bit better so I cancelled. I can manage a normal looking walk now as long as I don't go too far or too fast - and as long as its a couple of hours since I did my physio exercises as they make things ache. I have had 2 physio sessions now and am booked in again on 3rd Jan - I left the last one armed with lots of kinesio tape to see me through till then.
    I am still wearing a shoe with all the inners taken out and very loose lacing so no pressure is put on the damaged bits. I might try going back to a normal setup tomorrow.
    Hopefully I will soon be able to walk the dogs again and eventually get back to the running but that will be done very carefully. The physio did give me the lecture on 'everyone over 35 should do strength training and not just cardio' so I need to work out what I should do differently this time round.
    Final diagnosis was probable Peroneal tendonitis, also referred to as peroneal tendinopathy. Not that common but much more common in people with high arches which is me.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Dec 16, 11:06 AM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 16,366 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Glad you are on the road to recovery.
    I must admit that I do a session a week on technique and core strength etc. So in effect strength circuits in intervals. 3 sets of 6 with 40 secs sets with 20 secs rest with 2 mins rest between sets of 6.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 1st Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Phew - I had to go a long way back to find this old thread!

I have finally broken my duck and hit the roads this lunchtime after putting it off a few times. I did an experimental 4.5k on a hotel treadmill last week and suffered no ill effects after my injury at the end of November so it was time.
    It was a slow and short run in biting wind and drizzle but I got out there and did 3.7k in 27 minutes. It would be fair to say that I will not be picking up where I left off on the basis of this. I probably could have done more if I had covered my ears and didn't have to get back to work.
    Still, something is better than nothing.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 1st Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 16,366 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Well done MallyGirl.

Hope that it gets easier now that you are back up and running so to speak.
    • Amara
    • By Amara 3rd Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 7,221 Thanks
    Amara
    Hello everybody!
    I've just run my first 5km. Natural progress is 10km. It takes my 45min to run 5km, it's a jog rather then run, but still, I'm happy and hoping to run 10km soon.
    Tackle your debt, take a part in 1 debt vs 100 days challenge.
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 27
    £540/500 Well done me
    Gaining assets
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 6th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    well done for getting out there. It is a gorgeous day today so I will go for a run after work today - weekend was dreadful for many reasons so it will be nice to move forward and blast the cobwebs away today.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Mar 17, 10:19 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I did a slow 6.1km (in 47 minutes) after work which went fine. Very pleased that there were no problems.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I did another slow run last night - 6.6k in 51 mins. Still no problems so I will try and push a bit harder next time out.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 14th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 16,366 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I did another slow run last night - 6.6k in 51 mins. Still no problems so I will try and push a bit harder next time out.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Good luck MallyGirl, glad you are getting there.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 14th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 6,627 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    I'm still on the injured list. Scan was clear on Friday, physio starts tomorrow...I have been warned that it will be painful.....looks like 2 to 3 months til I'm back to full fitness
    Cancelled two active holidays and replaced with gentle walking and the big pass crossing in June might also be out....2,800m high...10 hours , has to be done midsummer......and also pulled out of a 10km race over here.

However, it's not DVT so counting my blessings.

But I really miss the running having got into it!
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Oh TT - I know how you feel. I was desperate to get out again in late January but DH made me wait till after our half term holiday (probably a wise precaution). Now life has got crazily busy. I will try and fit in another outing this week if the weather holds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,720Posts Today

5,970Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin