Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 1st Nov 16, 8:35 PM
    • 14,731Posts
    • 96,367Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    New job = New focus = Still a good life
    • 1st Nov 16, 8:35 PM
    New job = New focus = Still a good life 1st Nov 16 at 8:35 PM
    Hey up chaps

So today I started my first venture into full time employment, having either studied/worked or being self-employed since, erm 1999.

So time for a new focus.

I was a single parent, study-rather-work-mum and now I've got two well adjusted (can I say that?) younglings whom have flown the nest and are post degree and mid final stages of university. Focus for me has now changed from supporting them wholeheartedly to supporting future me and any help they might need or not.

And somewhere a long the line we acquired a very caring and solvent DH of rock god status, (finances still very solid and very separate) a house (his mortgage, 16 years I think) and garden (mine), two hounds (neither of us willing to take ownership), a sprinkling of chickens and a thirst for cheese and tasty but reduced food.

So whilst self-employment and study has been flexible and suited the 'day job' of mum, now I need more regular income and flexibility of paid holidays and pensions.

Time a rethink and for some me time I think.

Me time as in time off but also me time as in providing for me in the future. However that shapes up.

I'll link into other diaries here and here and maybe here. [links to be added]

only thing really to know

we love a good list
    and growing our own food
    we hate food waste and paying too much for food
    not a real fan of meal plans but we know they work
    we have discovered we like holidays
    but also lots of 'free living' as well
    we do not approve of matching socks
    but love a good natter and ideas to get the spends under control and the savings to promote

STILL A GOOD LIFE

I started a new job today, full time, employed - both children are out of the house mostly although we have DS home at the moment between adventures.

I have one p't job (7 hours) on top of this which might be ditched if the home/life balance can't be made.

I have a new website developing to sell plants and sundries to top up the income and reduce the mortgage.

House and mortgage are a priority at overpaying, with balance of adventures and good living
    Overdrafts need slayed - savings need to be established
    Pension needs to be established
    Housekeeping budgets need defined and tweaked to be efficient

Having taken so much from you lovely MSE'rs for so long, I'm hoping that I can learn more than a few new tricks, reduce the mortgage down considerably and still have a good life with full time employment in a field I am super passionate about.

Yes I want it all, I want it all and I want it now.

{Happy to work for it}

So help me along angels.

Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/£0
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40/£50 = £5705.40
    Days til 50 = 267 days
Page 16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 25,179 Thanks
    in need of direction
    hello, i too will be 50 on my next birthday and am determined to have sorted out a proper grown up life for myself. your fun things to do sounds so much better. if you want a practice plan a garden, feel free to tackle mine
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 11th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 14,731 Posts
    • 96,367 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hey INOD thanks and woop to another '68-er

Hope you get some fun into that grown up and proper bit too.

always happy to ponder gardens

Although the one I'm kept hostage in makes me X-HAUSTED
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/£0
    Days til 50 = 267 days
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jul 17, 10:12 PM
    • 46,770 Posts
    • 166,876 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks
    Faints at idea of walking 114 miles or whatever even although it is pretty damm coast
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 46,770 Posts
    • 166,876 Thanks
    beanielou
    50 is good.
    Have to say that '62 is THE year though

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 7,552 Posts
    • 36,423 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    you lot

Excellent list pippi - love how many of them involve food

Are we allowed to suggest things? I reckon you should enter a biggest vegetable competition love the idea of you mollycoddling some ludicrously overgrown veg, like that happy man with his giant onion
    Saved for house move: £13,052.95
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    • 7,552 Posts
    • 36,423 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/jimwaterson/pictures-of-happy-men-with-giant-vegetables

• Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 12th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 14,731 Posts
    • 96,367 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Thanks
    Faints at idea of walking 114 miles or whatever even although it is pretty damm coast
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I thought I might take the year to do it!

you lot

Excellent list pippi - love how many of them involve food

Are we allowed to suggest things? I reckon you should enter a biggest vegetable competition love the idea of you mollycoddling some ludicrously overgrown veg, like that happy man with his giant onion
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Did someone say food

Giant veg oh my - I'm tiny it would look very silly and of course you can throw ideas into the pot I shall ponder your links.

Todays progress is made it to work on time after a marathon tidy for the cleaner who cleans and does not tidy.
    Packed lunch and mutts with me as its a I can walk them sometime over the day kinda day.

Have a good one folks, nice to have some headspace to be on here.
    Days til 50 = 267 days
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Jul 17, 11:20 AM
    • 7,556 Posts
    • 39,406 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Definitely up for joining you on some walking of that coastal path - and loving some of those other plans too!

Your dinner with DD sounded lovely - I've never eaten Japanese food aside sushi!

Good to have you back anyhoo - and also to hear that you've FINALLY jettisoned the silly work levels - about time too!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£450.55 (14/08/17)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 39,920 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Definitely up for joining you on some walking of that coastal path ........
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    I think this is a spiffing idea (says Greying, seemingly inviting he'self along to t'proceedin's........ ), what if (for part of the walk) you were joined by Friends (RL & 'Virtual' - but with RL 'hats, macs & stout footwear' on) & Family, that represented, oh, I don't know - all the generations/decades from 0 - 100??? (depends on who y'know, natch ). We all pootle along, and then have a 'beach barbecue' or a beach picnic - with anyone who's 'MSE' allowed the privledge of bringing YS'd stuff...

It's got legs........

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 46,770 Posts
    • 166,876 Thanks
    beanielou
    I think this is a spiffing idea (says Greying, seemingly inviting he'self along to t'proceedin's........ ), what if (for part of the walk) you were joined by Friends (RL & 'Virtual' - but with RL 'hats, macs & stout footwear' on) & Family, that represented, oh, I don't know - all the generations/decades from 0 - 100??? (depends on who y'know, natch ). We all pootle along, and then have a 'beach barbecue' or a beach picnic - with anyone who's 'MSE' allowed the privledge of bringing YS'd stuff...

It's got legs........

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Count me in.
    Will come along to cheerlead

• troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 13th Jul 17, 12:18 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Yay glad you're back! And of course glad you have cut back on the unfeasible working hours - even if it does feel very odd. Looking forward to reading about many more stripey adventures!
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 13th Jul 17, 5:54 AM
    • 14,731 Posts
    • 96,367 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Morning chaps - it always does grow arms and legs doesnt' it Greying glad to see there are some bodies up for a virtual or non virtual picnic and a scamp.

Waves morning to all - up at stupid a clock as I have a pesky cold. Bah.

Busy busy garden yesterday with tours and weeding, same combo again today but with teaching too. Off for a hot bath in a mo.

Spends last night at the local Coup with the new card thing it really adds up doesn't it. 5% on all own brand straight onto a card and usable as immediate money. I know I'm late to the game often but this one is good.

https://www.coop.co.uk/membership

and 1% back for local good causes. All fabby,

Dinner was ys'd beef with chinese supermarket noodles and oyster sauce kale from the garden, green onion stalks from the garden and peas from work.

Made 5 portions of soup from chicken wing bones and some left over bits and bobs from a picky tea at the weekend. Oddly I've never thought of making stock with wing bones until I saw Nigella do something similar who'd have thunk. Delish it was too with a lob of tomato puree and some leftover yoghurt, kale and green onion stalks chopped it. All now tucked in the freezer for later.

DH now has a motorbike for commuting so frozen soup is much easier to commute with.

Picked another 1lb rasps from garden thus far we are up to 3lbs the primo canes are now fruiting on old wood, I'll chop that out soon.

Dwarf patio raspberry 'Ruby Beauty' is in its 3rd year and whilst not doing much for two years, after some abject neglect, I have to say its really fruiting well this year. I had me doubts I have to say but its a wee cracker. Had about 1/2 lb off that already.

Still making elderflower cordial they're still flowering up here so that will stop soon - think we have about 25 litres of it stashed, 1 litre of strawberry with ys'd strawbs and 2 litres of gooseberry, 2 of rhubarb.

Jam wise its rasp and redcurrant at the moment in the fridge - just harvested a humungous amount of redcurrants at work will buy some from there. Rhubarb is never ending as well, dont' you love a cool climate.

Gooseberries at home aren't ripe yet (£1 plant from Aldi I think, a red one) but the ones at work are cracking must buy some from there too.

Harvest day twice a week at work the now, crazy times. NIce to see what grows in a different garden just a few miles east of me but with those giant walls things do ripen early. Clever victorians and their walled gardens,

Trog you're right unfeasable but nevertheless I saw the light eventually

Beanie I'd love some company anytime and EH Japanese is quite like chinese but I do like the lightness of it - different way of combining flavours in the big smoke it appears sushi/ramen places are almost in every street.

Pwoar at your new kitchen btw.
    Days til 50 = 267 days
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 13th Jul 17, 6:30 AM
    • 14,731 Posts
    • 96,367 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Jobs for today

Check banks and find log in for 2nd bank
    Pay a subcontractor who covered some sick time for me
    Lunches from home (roast aubergene and houmous) - think about dinner tonight, I'm still at sixes and sevens from 10 folk + here at the weekend.
    Pay cleaner for gorgeous house I came home to yesterday 22/fortnight is just blissful
    Take mutts to work and work/walk them there.
    Lunch for DH to be extracted now frozen, top him up with snack rasps and boiled eggs (not together) extra boiled eggs now in wee half egg box in fridge for rest of week.
    Washing - catching up on bedding one load a day is all I can stand and fly lady approve
    s (on on timer so its finishing when I get home, timers are genius.)
    Walk somewhere later
    Buy some fruit from work and freeze or make juice/jam later
    online order for bulk items loo roll/fizzy water etc
    Water own garden and perhaps do sometihng in it. Novel concept that one is.
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 13-07-2017 at 7:30 AM.
    Days til 50 = 267 days
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 14th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Gosh you get so much done, you put me to shame!

At least you reminded me to put the washing on. Used to do it at night for cheaper electricity but now do it in the day to use solar power.

Garden here is sadly mostly devoid of fruit so far, and I'm locked in in an on-going battle with the deer. But at least we got rasps and jostaberries from our old garden as we haven't quite sold it yet (fingers crossed will do soon!)

Off to collect a Freegle compost bin shortly!
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 14th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 14,731 Posts
    • 96,367 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    I don't get much done some days Trog well done on the washing and that's reminded me to put mine out and not have to rewash it.

Busy old day at the garden but lots of harvesting done and I got some tatties to cook for lunch so that was lush.

I do love a friday in the garden, no volunteers and just a lovely day of gardening more than directing.

Bank id still unfound - done some reduced shopping and got some YS Prawns, pork belly, juice and onions.

And ANOTHER 1/2 lbs rasps from garden here. YAY.

Tired but happy after a busy week.

Meal plan needs thought up.
    Days til 50 = 267 days
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 14th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 7,552 Posts
    • 36,423 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    No washing here - havent had time to dry it between viewings

No cooking either - Mr Cheery packed most of the pans so they weren't cluttering up the kitchen and we don't know where they went
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 14th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 11,752 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Ha ha - no pans!

I like that!
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 15th Jul 17, 9:54 AM
    • 14,731 Posts
    • 96,367 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Ha no pans means no cleaning - I'm thinking of following your lead cheery me lass.

RT your comment did make me giggle.

A weekend off with no plans to speak of. Unheard of round these parts.

Thus far done the dishwasher and tidied up the recycling. Too minging to go outside the now, but the gardens getting a good watering. I have to say though I prefer my rain whilst I'm sleeping.

Adding more to the crazy list and had the (non) inspirational thought to try and be debt free by 50 aside the pesky student loan.

Might be on to something there eh? It would require focus of which I'm lacking largely but then again that's why I'm here. Huge changes by reducing debt.

Kettle is on - I have rasp jam and a notion for pancakes. Scottish ones. Although they can be international pikelets for the lovely welsh and dropped scones for the lovely english folks. And RT for you and me they're just pancakes my Canadian friend. (I think)
    Days til 50 = 267 days
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 25,179 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Can I ask a gardening relatedish question? Can anyone suggest what I can do with the mountain of plastic plant pots languishing in my garage? These are ones that come with purchased plants. I really don't want then to go to landfill.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 11,752 Thanks
    rtandon27
    My darling Pips - I do hope you dressed those cakes of the pan with maple syrup...

...but then I'm confused, as I thought we were doing panless?

...and then if we are going panless they are just cakes...

Cakes are good...

...eh Cheery wadda ya think?

(oh and Pips - I'm embarassed to say we have not used the BBQ at all this year! - himself is now retired & does the cooking - we eat a lot of baked and boiled these days)
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,388Users online

Martin's Twitter