Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 1st Nov 16, 8:35 PM
    • 14,657Posts
    • 95,863Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    New job = New focus = Still a good life
    • 1st Nov 16, 8:35 PM
    New job = New focus = Still a good life 1st Nov 16 at 8:35 PM
    Hey up chaps

So today I started my first venture into full time employment, having either studied/worked or being self-employed since, erm 1999.

So time for a new focus.

I was a single parent, study-rather-work-mum and now I've got two well adjusted (can I say that?) younglings whom have flown the nest and are post degree and mid final stages of university. Focus for me has now changed from supporting them wholeheartedly to supporting future me and any help they might need or not.

And somewhere a long the line we acquired a very caring and solvent DH of rock god status, (finances still very solid and very separate) a house (his mortgage, 16 years I think) and garden (mine), two hounds (neither of us willing to take ownership), a sprinkling of chickens and a thirst for cheese and tasty but reduced food.

So whilst self-employment and study has been flexible and suited the 'day job' of mum, now I need more regular income and flexibility of paid holidays and pensions.

Time a rethink and for some me time I think.

Me time as in time off but also me time as in providing for me in the future. However that shapes up.

I'll link into other diaries here and here and maybe here. [links to be added]

only thing really to know

we love a good list
    and growing our own food
    we hate food waste and paying too much for food
    not a real fan of meal plans but we know they work
    we have discovered we like holidays
    but also lots of 'free living' as well
    we do not approve of matching socks
    but love a good natter and ideas to get the spends under control and the savings to promote

STILL A GOOD LIFE

I started a new job today, full time, employed - both children are out of the house mostly although we have DS home at the moment between adventures.

I have one p't job (7 hours) on top of this which might be ditched if the home/life balance can't be made.

I have a new website developing to sell plants and sundries to top up the income and reduce the mortgage.

House and mortgage are a priority at overpaying, with balance of adventures and good living
    Overdrafts need slayed - savings need to be established
    Pension needs to be established
    Housekeeping budgets need defined and tweaked to be efficient

Having taken so much from you lovely MSE'rs for so long, I'm hoping that I can learn more than a few new tricks, reduce the mortgage down considerably and still have a good life with full time employment in a field I am super passionate about.

Yes I want it all, I want it all and I want it now.

{Happy to work for it}

So help me along angels.

Pippi's Debt Free Diary
Page 15
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 4th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 11,405 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Reduced chook dinner - my mouth is watering!

Hooray for time spent in your own garden - must be very satisfying

Monthly pay happened here as well - must go through budgeting app & assign money to the appropriate categories - OH is a bit worried his balance is so high but I've assured him that March is a worst month for bills!

This debt free things is still very new to us - growing up the Mr. thought bank statements only came in red!
    Mine/Hers: May 201110835.33May 20164709.46Oct 20160
    Not Mine/His: June 20168175.38Oct 20160
    Grand Total0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 5th Mar 17, 7:14 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 3,570 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Very efficient meal-planning there! And well done on all the gardening. We've done a bit but nothing like as much as you! Must get on the case - got bird boxes to put up ASAP for starters!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 7,149 Posts
    • 38,030 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Yay to pay and meal planning and visitors, but a big fat massive BOO to you being in Southern lands at the end of APRIL. NO good at all - we'll be venturing to Northern climes as you know! Boo and boo again.

Roast chicken dinner sounds ultra yummy - we had lamb breast yesterday - paid 2 for the large chunk of breast and it'll do another meal yet. Happy EH's here.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/324.14
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 18th Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 11,405 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hey Pips - two weeks since you last surfaced! - Still buried in snowdrops? - Hope all is well - xox RT
    Grand Total0
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 30th Apr 17, 4:21 PM
    • 14,657 Posts
    • 95,863 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Buried indeed. Coming out the other side now.

Huge thanks for the check in xx
    Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 1st May 17, 11:52 AM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 11,405 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hey stranger! Good to hear from you!
    Grand Total0
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 1st May 17, 12:46 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 3,570 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Hello!
    Glad to see you back, hope you have time to breathe!
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 12th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 14,657 Posts
    • 95,863 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    hey up chappsies - bit quiet this end, just lost our final wee feathery friend.

Sad times, but I'm glad we had the opportunity to let them have a nice last 3 years.

Hugs ladys and long will you roam around particle by particle living freely around us.

Catch up soon and thanks for the contacts in the Virtual lands and postcards and cards landing in the real lands.

Much appreciate the thoughts and love, always.

Should be more regular from now one, the white beasties are sleeping.
    Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 12th May 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 11,405 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Welcome back again dearheart to the virtual kitchen! Look forward to having you back!

Hugs for the loss of the last feathery one - they provided us all with entertainment through their antics over the years!
    Grand Total0
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th May 17, 8:31 AM
    • 3,458 Posts
    • 37,808 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    YAY! Pipster's back

Sorry to hear about chookie, but what a life your feathery friends have when they home with you, love, kindness and fab food - a good life.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th May 17, 8:38 AM
    • 7,400 Posts
    • 35,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw, but yes, they had a good life with you. When are the next lot arriving?

Good to see you back!
    Saved for house move: 11,884.95
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 13th May 17, 10:37 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 3,570 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Sorry to hear your last feathery lady has departed, but I'm sure it's comforting to know they had such a happy life beforehand.

Good to see you back!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th May 17, 11:15 AM
    • 7,149 Posts
    • 38,030 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Crossing fingers that you manage to sort out another batch of chooks requiring love and rehabilitation soon - and as others have said, what a wonderful final few years of life those girls had eh!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/324.14
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,867Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin