Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 1st Nov 16, 8:35 PM
    • 14,655Posts
    • 95,847Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    New job = New focus = Still a good life
    • 1st Nov 16, 8:35 PM
    New job = New focus = Still a good life 1st Nov 16 at 8:35 PM
    Hey up chaps

So today I started my first venture into full time employment, having either studied/worked or being self-employed since, erm 1999.

So time for a new focus.

I was a single parent, study-rather-work-mum and now I've got two well adjusted (can I say that?) younglings whom have flown the nest and are post degree and mid final stages of university. Focus for me has now changed from supporting them wholeheartedly to supporting future me and any help they might need or not.

And somewhere a long the line we acquired a very caring and solvent DH of rock god status, (finances still very solid and very separate) a house (his mortgage, 16 years I think) and garden (mine), two hounds (neither of us willing to take ownership), a sprinkling of chickens and a thirst for cheese and tasty but reduced food.

So whilst self-employment and study has been flexible and suited the 'day job' of mum, now I need more regular income and flexibility of paid holidays and pensions.

Time a rethink and for some me time I think.

Me time as in time off but also me time as in providing for me in the future. However that shapes up.

I'll link into other diaries here and here and maybe here. [links to be added]

only thing really to know

we love a good list
    and growing our own food
    we hate food waste and paying too much for food
    not a real fan of meal plans but we know they work
    we have discovered we like holidays
    but also lots of 'free living' as well
    we do not approve of matching socks
    but love a good natter and ideas to get the spends under control and the savings to promote

STILL A GOOD LIFE

I started a new job today, full time, employed - both children are out of the house mostly although we have DS home at the moment between adventures.

I have one p't job (7 hours) on top of this which might be ditched if the home/life balance can't be made.

I have a new website developing to sell plants and sundries to top up the income and reduce the mortgage.

House and mortgage are a priority at overpaying, with balance of adventures and good living
    Overdrafts need slayed - savings need to be established
    Pension needs to be established
    Housekeeping budgets need defined and tweaked to be efficient

Having taken so much from you lovely MSE'rs for so long, I'm hoping that I can learn more than a few new tricks, reduce the mortgage down considerably and still have a good life with full time employment in a field I am super passionate about.

Yes I want it all, I want it all and I want it now.

{Happy to work for it}

So help me along angels.

Pippi's Debt Free Diary
Page 15
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 4th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 11,250 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Reduced chook dinner - my mouth is watering!

Hooray for time spent in your own garden - must be very satisfying

Monthly pay happened here as well - must go through budgeting app & assign money to the appropriate categories - OH is a bit worried his balance is so high but I've assured him that March is a worst month for bills!

This debt free things is still very new to us - growing up the Mr. thought bank statements only came in red!
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 5th Mar 17, 7:14 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 3,562 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Very efficient meal-planning there! And well done on all the gardening. We've done a bit but nothing like as much as you! Must get on the case - got bird boxes to put up ASAP for starters!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 7,101 Posts
    • 37,758 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Yay to pay and meal planning and visitors, but a big fat massive BOO to you being in Southern lands at the end of APRIL. NO good at all - we'll be venturing to Northern climes as you know! Boo and boo again.

Roast chicken dinner sounds ultra yummy - we had lamb breast yesterday - paid £2 for the large chunk of breast and it'll do another meal yet. Happy EH's here.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£276.01
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 18th Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 11,250 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hey Pips - two weeks since you last surfaced! - Still buried in snowdrops? - Hope all is well - xox RT
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,305Posts Today

8,594Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Today's Twitter poll: Which of these professions would you trust most if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin