Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joe134
    • By joe134 1st Nov 16, 1:57 PM
    • 3,059Posts
    • 399Thanks
    joe134
    Amex shop small back
    • 1st Nov 16, 1:57 PM
    Amex shop small back 1st Nov 16 at 1:57 PM
    Hi Guys just had e mail from Amex, shop small is back from 3rd Dec to 18th, spend 10 get 5 back?
    I have saved to my main card, but cannot recall how to save to wife's, , both platinum?
    You used to register the cards before, but save to card now.
    Any advice welcome.
    Also,has anyone had e mail?
    Does mbna apply to this promo this time?
Page 3
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 13th Dec 16, 9:09 AM
    • 7,479 Posts
    • 4,863 Thanks
    Biggles
    How on earth have you spent so much???
    Originally posted by lev441
    Especially as you can only cash out once per small trader. You must be doing plenty of miles!
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 13th Dec 16, 9:21 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Well it costs them a few pennies in the form of amexs relatively hefty fees, though admittedly not anywhere near the full promotional cost.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Do you have a link which details Amex's "relatively hefty fees" and the "full promotional cost" of Shop Small? Thanks in anticipation.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 13th Dec 16, 9:33 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    Do you have a link which details Amex's "relatively hefty fees" and the "full promotional cost" of Shop Small? Thanks in anticipation.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    The fee amex charges a merchant is dependent on how many transactions they take etc. It is much more than Visa/MasterCard (easily double).

The promotion is run by Amex and as such, it costs the merchant nothing to participate (other than the aforementioned card fee) as it is Amex who takes the 5 hit.
    • Snowbelle
    • By Snowbelle 13th Dec 16, 10:58 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Snowbelle
    Does anyone have an email for Barclaycard issued Amex? I've had issues with 4 retailers now so would like to let them know.
    • wolvoman
    • By wolvoman 13th Dec 16, 2:57 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 1,086 Thanks
    wolvoman
    Especially as you can only cash out once per small trader. You must be doing plenty of miles!
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Having 9 cards helps.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 13th Dec 16, 3:03 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Having 9 cards helps.
    Originally posted by wolvoman
    Only 9? You really need to complain to Amex about that!
    • mvteng
    • By mvteng 13th Dec 16, 3:51 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    mvteng
    The fee amex charges a merchant is dependent on how many transactions they take etc. It is much more than Visa/MasterCard (easily double).
    Originally posted by stevenhp1987
    Not according to my friendly local independent bike shop. According to the owner, AMEX fees are now significantly lower than Visa / MasterCard.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 13th Dec 16, 4:42 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    Not according to my friendly local independent bike shop. According to the owner, AMEX fees are now significantly lower than Visa / MasterCard.
    Originally posted by mvteng
    It depends on what deal can be struck between the merchant and Amex. Sometimes Amex will lower their fees to get a particular merchant (perhaps in a particular area too if they want to increase coverage in a certain area).

Sometimes it can be cheaper for the merchant, although 99% of the time it isn't. The higher fees go towards the cashback and promotions such as Small Shop.
    • Cuidadosa
    • By Cuidadosa 17th Dec 16, 4:08 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    Cuidadosa
    Hi,

For those of you who have reported a business which actually doesn't take amex... This happened to me yesterday, I actually ordered more food than usual thinking of the 5 discount and when I got there they don't take CREDIT cards (never mind AmEx...)... Tried calling Barclaycard who told me sorry we cannot do anything it's a 3rd party offer, I need to call AmEx... tried calling AmEx UK customer service ( 0800 917 8047) who told me they cannot do anything because my card was issued by a bank...
    How did you report it?
    Thanks
    • Yawn
    • By Yawn 17th Dec 16, 5:42 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Yawn
    What I have noticed, having moved from Oxford to Cardiff last year, is the regional variation. There are definitely fewer small shops which accept Amex here, and two of those on the list on the website actually don't accept Amex at all. In the end there were only two retailers that I wanted to visit...
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 1st Nov 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    Chomeur
    No sign of this happening this year?
    • King Of Fools
    • By King Of Fools 1st Nov 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    King Of Fools
    No sign of this happening this year?
    Originally posted by Chomeur
    Yes, it opened for registration today and I just signed up.
    https://maps.americanexpress.com/gb/shop-small/

Terms and Conditions

• Spend 10 or more, get 5 back.
    • Save to Card to get a 5 statement credit when you spend 10+ in-store at participating small businesses between 2 December and 17 December 2017. Valid once per Card per business. Terms and payment restrictions apply.
    • Available in-store at participating businesses.
    • One 5 statement credit will be rewarded, per business, for every 10 spent in a single transaction.
    • Offer excludes purchases made on finance and the purchase of gift cards and vouchers.
    • The services a participating Shop Small business will offer to American Express Cardmembers are not expressly endorsed or recommended by American Express.
    • Offer is only intended for the targeted recipient of this offer.
    • Offer excludes TSB Bank, Corporate and Pre-Paid Cards.
    • Offer only applies to spend made in Great British Pound (GBP) on the Card to which the offer is saved, including an American Express Card loaded into a mobile payment wallet.
    • Offer does not apply to spend on other Cards you might hold and is not valid for transactions made using third party Payment Aggregators including, but not limited to, iZettle.
    • An awarded credit may be reversed if qualifying transaction is refunded or cancelled.
    • Spend must be billed to your Card Account by 17 December 2017 to be eligible for this offer. If participating business does not charge your Card during this period you may not be eligible for this offer.
    • Credit should appear on your billing statement within 5 days from qualifying spend but may take up to 90 days from 17 December 2017.
    Last edited by King Of Fools; 01-11-2017 at 2:19 PM.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 1st Nov 17, 2:28 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Did you get an email notification?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 1st Nov 17, 3:05 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 6,849 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I got an email notification, then a reminder, and then a calendar appointment for the start date. I signed up and then I got another email asking me to sign up
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 2nd Nov 17, 7:32 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sausage_time
    I have saved to my main card, but cannot recall how to save to wife's, , both platinum?
    You used to register the cards before, but save to card now.
    Any advice welcome.
    Originally posted by joe134
    I hit the same problem yesterday after receiving the mail. I found that you can do it in the Amex app (on Android at least). You can select to see just your wife's transactions at the top, and from that screen you can register that card.

Hope that helps!
    • m1kjm
    • By m1kjm 2nd Nov 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    m1kjm
    Both my MBNA Amex and the supplementary card on the account have the same long number so when I try to register the second card for the promotion it says it's already been registered.

Has anyone found a way to register a supplementary MBNA Amex for this promotion?

I've tried ringing both MBNA and Amex but they don't know and refer me back to the other one.
    • MyUsername
    • By MyUsername 10th Nov 17, 2:35 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MyUsername
    I have four Amex cards (Its not to run into debt its just they each save money in different places and some more than others) and I am told that if I add the offer to each card I can effectively get 20 off at each retailer by using a separate card each time, is this correct?
    • qsk
    • By qsk 11th Nov 17, 10:37 AM
    • 242 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    qsk
    I have four Amex cards (Its not to run into debt its just they each save money in different places and some more than others) and I am told that if I add the offer to each card I can effectively get 20 off at each retailer by using a separate card each time, is this correct?
    Originally posted by MyUsername
    Yes, indeed.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 11th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    Archergirl
    How would you do that? I have a BA one that is registered and a new Nectar one that isn't.
    • Fletchasketch
    • By Fletchasketch 11th Nov 17, 11:02 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Fletchasketch
    If you click on the registration link, it should let you register:

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/shop-small/

Last year the best thing about it was using the offer to buy Oyster credit- I didn't find a lot of newsagents/supermarkets in my neck of the woods though.

Would any kind soul happen to have a list of the merchants selling oyster credit in the London area this year?

Thank you!
    Debt @0% Jan '16; 9162, Jun '16 5845, Jul '16 3824, Aug '16 3105, Mar '17 2600 May '17 2342
    #C25K Done!
    Mortgage overpayments 2017, 16k
    Student loan finally cleared!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,023Posts Today

8,753Users online

Martin's Twitter