Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LauraB89
    • By LauraB89 30th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 152Posts
    • 352Thanks
    LauraB89
    Ok, here goes nothing!
    • 30th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    Ok, here goes nothing! 30th Oct 16 at 5:43 PM
    Hi everyone!

I have been lurking on here for a couple of weeks now, and I am finally brave enough to come out of the shadows to say... "hi!"

My current situation - I have debts that I have never really tried paying off (2 x credit cards - 1700 in total, 1 x loan - 800, and 2 x overdrafts - 700 in total) - so 3200 all in (excluding 12k PCP car)

I have approx 15k in shares (depending on the FTSE that day!) and 2.2k in a first time buyer's isa.

My LBM has come as I am getting married next year, and I want to buy a house (so that I can have SO MANY BABIES).

So, for the last 3 weeks I have been diligently tracking all of my expenditures and I have always had all of my outgoings on a spreadsheet.

I am fairly confident that with my salary and bonus I can get most of it paid off in the next 6 months, and being qualified as a financial adviser I don't have any excuses for not knowing how

So!

Here is the plan;

- Cut out £100 from monthly spending
    - Get through xmas this year and still pay off debts
    - Get both overdrafts and credit cards paid off by the end of the year

I currently don't live frugally in any way other than with food. I love shopping, new clothes, getting my nails done, expensive haircuts, and going out...

So - food-wise, I make my list and buy only what I need (£50 per week, for 4 adults - two of whom pay me to cook for them. I am a good cook apparently!).

I just need to keep the same attitude to the rest of my spending!

TL;DR - loves food, need to stop shopping..!
Page 11
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 1st Mar 17, 12:01 AM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,641 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Oh my gosh, what a wonderful post! I will answer more fully when it's not so far past my bedtime but I couldn't not comment right now
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 1st Mar 17, 12:20 AM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,310 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Congratulations to you Laura! So great. Here's to the next stage!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • LauraB89
    • By LauraB89 6th Mar 17, 8:01 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    LauraB89
    Morning all!

Had a long weekend of painting, painting, painting the new house. So excited to get it all done and be all moved in - at the end of this month! Crazy!

I have £4,400 in my account and the plan is to top it up with savings each month and then just make sure that I don't dip below £4,100 (as the wedding stuff still to pay for comes to £3,100).

I only have ONE credit card, which I am paying off each payday but I am not throwing everything spare at it, as we have so many things that we need/want for the house and wedding that so long as it is going down each month for now, I am happy. I have 1.5 more bonuses on my current monthly plan, then I go to quarterly - which will start getting paid in May. So the plan in my head is to use that for honeymoon this time around, then once the wedding is done and we have sorted the house, if there is anything left to pay off of the card, my August bonus can square that away.

One thing that hit me this morning, is that I really want to lose some weight and tone up for the wedding. So I am getting back to couch-to 5k, which I did once before. I hope that the upcoming wedding will be a good enough motivator to keep me on the straight and narrow.

How was everyone else's weekend??

xxx
    Halifax CC - £714 Lloyds CC - £3,260
    Total debts - £4,000
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 6th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    ab_saver
    Sounds brilliantly exciting- it's lovely to make the place your own a bit. Moving day is so close now.

Your financial plans all sound extremely sensible- you have got yourself into a really good position for all the exciting life changes ahead.

My weekend was a working one - I have today off which is just enough to sort my life out before going back in tomorrow.

I've been following your journey with interest as your big achievements are the sorts of things OH and I want to do over the next few years.
    House fund: £1610 / £10,000 _£1000 emergency fund #208 - £110/ 1000 _
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 7th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,641 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    All happy news!

Please post your c25k progress, I need some inspiration to get back into the fitness groove. I REALLY loved doing the programme last year
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 7th Mar 17, 10:42 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,310 Thanks
    Bobarella
    All sounds very positive indeed!

• LauraB89
    • By LauraB89 21st Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    LauraB89
    Hi everyone,

I am finding the whole budget quite complex at the moment! I have my debts down to £1095 on one credit card - yay!

But I also have over £3100 in my savings account! Now at least £2,500 of this is for the final wedding payments, and I am still owed a fair bit from the ladies coming to the hen party and family staying at the house for the weekend (£1,300) which is coming in dribs and drabs.

I am finding myself spending a lot on the house as well - DIY is slow and expensive!!

But on the bright side - on Friday, we will finally move properly and that is very exciting. I am really looking forward to being all in one place as living in two is a bit of a nightmare. I am not sure how much of the deposit I am going to get back, but we will see!

But I am focussed on a few things to get me through;

- My debts are going down each month (not many people buy a house, pay off a wedding and come out of it with less!)
    - I have savings (only just over what I need for the wedding, but they are slowly but surely getting added to)
    - I have my house
    - I love my new job
    - This time next week, we will be moved in!

The other thing that is on my mind a little at the moment is the car - in about 2.5 years when the lease is up, we need to pay about £5k to buy the car. I would really rather do this than continue paying out each month. So, I have a plan. I am going to set up a regular saver once the wedding is out of the way, 2 years, £200 a month and that will give us the bulk of the amount due. This will only really work once we have paid everything off, but, if we can factor it into the budget then we won't really notice it.

I have also factored into the budget an overpayment of the mortgage each month, so I need to get to a Santander branch and get the house account moved from Halifax. I am struggling with this a little, the Halifax staff in my branch are LOVELY and really friendly and helpful. I am not a fan of the Santander staff. But Halifax only pay me £3 a month and Santander will pay me about £16 a month. £13 a month is a big difference, and I very rarely go into a branch!

Update on my year goals;

- Buy house - CHECK
    - Get married - Less than 3 months to go!
    - Have all the babies - no update just yet..!

I hope everyone else's week is going well

xxx
    Total debts - £4,000
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 21st Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    ab_saver
    Sounds like you are doing amazingly well. You are right - buying a house and getting married whilst decreasing the debt are massive achievements!

Good luck with moving - and getting your deposit back. I think it really depends how they manage it - in my student house the agency would find fees and charges for everything (including the £160 bill for paying a professional inventory company) so we lost about £150 each. In my current place, my landlady manages it and she seems fair and reasonable so I don't think we'll lose much or have much to squabble over. Our agency insisted on having it professionally cleaned with one of their recommended cleaners (even though they cost loads and didn't do a better job than we did!).

It sounds like you have a sensible plan to pay off the car too - all very exciting and very sensible.
    House fund: £1610 / £10,000 _£1000 emergency fund #208 - £110/ 1000 _
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 21st Mar 17, 6:41 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    It's so lovely to read of your progress and feel the joy jumping out of each post. Wishing you a stress free move.
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    365 day penny challenge £37.66/£667.95
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st Mar 17, 10:41 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,310 Thanks
    Bobarella
    All sounds great Laura. Well done and hope all your plans work out

• LauraB89
    • By LauraB89 17th Apr 17, 8:10 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    LauraB89
    Hiiiii everyone!

It's been aaagggeesss that I posted - moving house and decorating and everything has been a bit mental really!

So, to summarise;

- I LOVE COUNTRYSIDE LIVING - holy moley! I feel like I am in the right place Been drying washing on the line - FOR FREE. DRYING CLOTHES FOR FREE. Life changer.
    - Getting milk delivered - organic, full fat, creamy milk. Delivered to my door. Three times a week!
    - New job is amazing - same pay, much easier. My boss is really supportive and I love it.
    - My debts are down to £727! That is it! Will be paid off in no time!
    - Wedding is only 9 weeks away - aarrghghghghghghgh!

So, I have decided that my next challenge is to save up to pay off the car in the next couple of years. What I decided to do, is to save up into an investment account with Nutmeg. We need to save up about £5k, which should be ok once all of our debts are paid off. It's all very exciting!

I hope it's been going as well for everyone!
    xxxx
    Total debts - £4,000
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 17th Apr 17, 8:34 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Fantastic news. Glad the new job is going well and you are settling into your new home. I'm with you on the joys on countryside living!
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    • LauraB89
    • By LauraB89 28th Jun 17, 11:22 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    LauraB89
    Hiiii everyone!!

It's been a while since I was on here, and (to quote Ferris Bueller) - life moves pretty fast!

A couple of weeks ago, we got MARRIED omg - on the hottest day of the year. It was the most amazing day, but in the last month, I ended up going a bit over budget with last minute purchases...

And... we are now expecting (what I hope to be) the first of MANY babies!!

So - three out of my four goals for the year are done;

- buy house - DONE
    - get married - DONE
    - get pregnant - DONE (eee!!)
    - debt free - OOPS

So, it's time to get serious again about my spending.

My debt has crept up to about £4,000 - which is really depressing, because I was very close to paying it all off! But, I am SO ready to kick it's !!!

The current situation is;

- Lloyds Credit card - £3,262.34
    - Halifax Credit card - £714.50

Savings;

There is £1,500 in my house account and approx £780 to still come out through direct debits. However, I am not sure of what our water bill is going to be, so I am waiting to see before I use any of this. I should have at least £500 in here leftover at the end of the month.

In my personal account I have about £250 - this needs to last me until 14th July, so just over 2 weeks. I should have at least £100 left in here at the end of the month.

My darling sister owes me £240 - which will go straight off of my card. I am also awaiting the deposit back for a house that we rented for a week - the total was £500, but I am only expecting half of this back because the hot tub water got very murky and they charge £250 to have this cleaned.

So in total, when I get paid, I should have enough from the deposit/my sister and from my wages to pay off the halifax card in full. I am planning on leaving the £500 in my house account for emergencies - gotta have that emergency fund!

In August I am due a bonus of approximately £3,000 - after tax etc, this should be down to about £2,000 and with the rest of my wages I should be able to take the lloyds card down to £1,000.

From that point, I will then need to chuck around £250 a month at it to get it down to £0 by the end of the year. I get my bonus quarterly, and hopefully in November should be due a similar amount and we can use this to start some proper savings.

All in all, now that I have written it all out and I have a plan, I am feeling a lot more optimistic! I think I put a bit too much pressure on myself to buy the house, do the wedding and pay off all my debt at once... But now, I can focus on the debt for the next few months - and then focus on that baby (due in Jan 2018!!).

Now, the most important topic... FOOD.

Last night was fajitas - YUMMY. Tonight we are having chicken pie (leftover roast and veggies from Sunday). I have found cooking a lot harder since the nausea kicked in - as I apparently get my morning sickness in the evening... but I am powering through!

I have also started thinking of budget-friendly ways to pay for the baby - my plan is to make sure that I use as much re-usables as possible so that while I am still getting paid I can front-load the cost and then keep my weekly shop down once he/she is here! So, been researching reusable nappies (one of my sisters used these for all three of her kids) - any advice from anyone here who is using them??
    The other is reusable wipes - this for me is a no-brainer. You have a pot of wet flannels and a bag for dirty ones - whack them in the washing at the end of the day - job's a good-un. I also am not a fan of the wipes - I don't feel like they get the baby as clean as a good old-fashioned flannel (controversial, I know).

It's good to be back everyone!

UNRELATED SIDE TOPIC - does anyone watch Eat Well For Less? HOW CAN PEOPLE GO FOOD SHOPPING WITH NO LIST??! HOOWWWWWW??!?!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Total debts - £4,000
    • LauraB89
    • By LauraB89 28th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    LauraB89
    Ok, quick update with good news!

The water company has made some billing errors, and I don't owe them loads of money - in fact, my next payment wont come out until August! Happy days - that means that I have £1500 in my account and only £735 due to come out before I get paid again. That will stay in that account as a little buffer!

So with the money my sister owes me (£240) and the money I am expecting back from the house deposit (£265), plus my usual amount that I can pay off each month - I am good to pay off Halifax when I get paid!

Then it's the Lloyds card, which I can slash down by £2,260 in August to £1,000 and before you know it I will be back where I was before the wedding got out of hand!

Then, it's just £250 a month until the end of the year - and I should be good before I go on maternity leave!!!

xxxx
    Total debts - £4,000
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 28th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 3,106 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Congratulations on all your news!
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 July - £1020
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £225.55
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 11th Jul 17, 1:35 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Congratulations on all your exciting news. Way to hit all those goals this year
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Jul 17, 12:57 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Congratulations! How exciting!
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

17Posts Today

3,622Users online

Martin's Twitter