Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 8,479Posts
    • 45,253Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure?
    • 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure? 28th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Well well - here we are again then, new diary as threatened promised - the previous one can be found HERE - there are others too - if I can be bothered to go find them I'll add in some links, otherwise feel free to go stalking if you should wish to!

Previous diary to the previous one mentioned above...
    ..and the previous one to that, too...

So, I've been here a while (since 2008, in fact) and can't ever imagine quite managing to leave entirely now. I've made some seriously good friends thanks to this place (Stripes, Cheery, I'm looking at you ladies!) - and for that reason alone I'll hang about like a bad smell for as long as they'll have me. A brief summary of "me" - too short to reach anything interesting, Londoner (full of resentment due to being forced out when we wanted to buy somewhere to live - damned incomers and property prices!) currently living in Essex with MrEH. The username is Essex = for where we are currently, and Hebridean = representing the fact that the long term plan is to move to the ludicrously far-flung but ridiculously beautiful islands off the west coast of Scotland. (as and when the move happens I shall be requesting a change of name to LondonHebridean so nobody even THINK about taking that one, OK?)

Started on here with a loan and a tenuous grasp on our money, plus a mortgage. Budgeting happened. An emergency fund was built. We discovered we liked the challenge of teaching financial institutions a lesson. The loan was kicked into touch first off, and then we started the onslaught on the mortgage. Various adventures along the way including losing half my income practically overnight and a 6 year experiment with being self-employed, all good fun. We waved a cheerful goodbye to the mortgage on 30th September this year - paying it off over 12 years early and according to MrEH's clever spreadsheet saving ourselves around £35k in interest had we left it to run to term. Go us, eh?

So - this is the next chapter, really. While debt free (and that seems amazing) we want to:

a) Stay that way
    b) Build a savings pot - firstly to ensure that we can at the least put down a chunky deposit against a future "Islandy" dwelling, and secondly to assist with a lifestyle which is less work and more full when we get there.
    c) Do up our existing flat to make it into a fab place for us to live while we're still here, and a desirable rental for when we're not.
    d) Have fun. Lots of it.

There will be food, regular lunatic visitors (that's this thread, not at home, although sometimes at home too), a reluctance to wield hairbrushes, some Little Red Jets, and hopefully some laughs along the way. Want to join me for the ride? Well I'd be delighted - grab a chair!!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 17-11-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£842.87 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Page 50
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 50,555 Posts
    • 193,284 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes I was looking for SA's old diary but couldn't find it . Also Wannabe's under her old user name .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Cant fins SA's diary either
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 8,924 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Thank you for all your help with getting the diaries back EH

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 7th Feb 18, 8:06 PM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 45,253 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Sorry to be dim but but what is MSE's budget brain.

WE just need SA's diary back now.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    It's THIS Beanie - been about for a while but sadly as you can see from the page they've had some problems with it of late.

Thank you for all your help with getting the diaries back EH

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Ahh all I did was got a bit stroppy WF - it's the forum team who are the miracle workers of diary restoration!

Fingers crossed the other stuff that was lost will be recovered in due course as well.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 50,555 Posts
    • 193,284 Thanks
    beanielou
    It's THIS Beanie - been about for a while but sadly as you can see from the page they've had some problems with it of late.

Ahh all I did was got a bit stroppy WF - it's the forum team who are the miracle workers of diary restoration!

Fingers crossed the other stuff that was lost will be recovered in due course as well.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Yes, sadly just getting an error message.
    Thanks though

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 4,095 Posts
    • 45,561 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Greying It might be that it's because of the distinctive taste the BG loves them rather than in spite of? I'm guessing there is some logic in children that are brought up with strongly flavoured foods introduced as at a young age being less open to blander stuff?

And yes - MrEH does indeed have odd tastes. He DOES love Marmite though - and turned me from an indifferent into a lover of the stuff, so not all bad! (Yes I did just mention that solely to spark the inevitable debate!)
    Maybe, maybe. BG's tastes never cease to amaze me, as I was extremely lucky during pregnancy, and can't think of one food item that I couldn't eat/didn't like/made me sick/went off etc, so they were exposed to curries and aromatics, and fruits and dairy and allsorts. And yet sometimes, they won't even try things. The baybeebelle is a case in point. Wouldn't try it in toddler size slices, wouldn't hold the whole thing and munch, but has just polished some off, chopped up in their pasta and pesto............

I've returned to marm1te. I used to eat it as a child. Went off it, and then have recently started to eat it - for the B vitamin content. I'm reluctant to introduce it to BG because of the salt content, but when proffered a tiny morsel of toast with just a smear of it on, BG said, 'Nooooo' in the way that they have of making it quite clear that they ain't touching THAT.

beanie - I'm a cheapskate and buy black olives in brine - hence the salt, but I do normally soak them in fresh water to leach out some of the salt - particularly if marinating them.

Keep up the good work EH!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Feb 18, 10:51 PM
    • 23,570 Posts
    • 41,863 Thanks
    ZTD
    MrEH is so wrong...olives are the greatest food known to mankind. And olive oil. And balsamic vinegar. And bread, and cheese...basically a Mediterranean diet for me
    Originally posted by Silver Queen
    Balsamic vinegar goes great on chips...

The car thing is very annoying , wish the government would make its mind up .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    The government can never make its mind up. That's because its half made up of the "communicators/influencers/visionaries" for whom "Reality" was an optional 30 minute slot on their Interpretive Dance module, and the other half are engineers and scientists for whom reality is a very harsh mistress indeed.

So we have the "re-use bags for the carbon!" bags brigade, and the "try to avoid dying if you do" side - and BTW the carbon thing is bollox anyway.

The "we'll force you to use combi boilers because they're more efficient (according to our computer models which were constructed to our specification)" vs the "no they're not, we measured them"

And now we have the "we'll ban the sale of non-electric cars by 2040" thing, where the National Grid says "you can't charge a car and cook/have a cuppa/have a shower etc at the same time. And BTW, if 5 of your neighbours charge at the same time as you, you'll blow the substation and you'll all sit in the dark and cold"

On the bright side, the virtue signally brigade will lose influence and the realists will take over when the government runs out of money and needs to face reality.

On the dark side, it's our money they will have run out of...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 23,570 Posts
    • 41,863 Thanks
    ZTD
    Some info on the new MoT Test thing HERE DFD - the thing of most concern for my car is the "any visible smoke" thing - she never kicks out black or blue smoke at all but I do apparently get a small puff of white on starting - this is relating to the injectors beginning to show their age. From what I'd read though it seems entirely down to the tester's view on whether there is smoke or not, and how much of it is "any visible".
    It looks like it only applies to cars with DPFs - so cars of a certain vintage (i.e. mine) won't fall under it.

May be worth buying a really old car...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 8th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 45,253 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Eh-up Z - thanks for popping by! Yes - a lot of the MoT Test stuff is to do with the DPF's - mine has one and MrEH's hasn't (Well we don't think so - trying to find a definite on this is not proving easy!) but anything we'd look to replace his with now will be our "long distance and Islands" car so we'll not be buying anything ancient. Having had the experience of breaking down in the Hebrides with an "only just" phone signal and questionable knowledge of location (as in - we knew where we were, but trying to explain it to the lass on the phone was nearly impossible!) I don;t fancy risking it again!

VERY glad you mentioned the thing about the National Grid's concerns in relation to all this electric car stuff too - then you have the fact that in London (And I suspect a lot of other cities too!) you can't charge the things outside home as you're not allowed to run cables over the pavement...

Greying In fairness if someone offered YOU a bit of toast with a smear of something brown and sticky looking on it, would your first reaction be to eat it?! Thought not!

Lovely bright sunny day down here today and I think now *quite* as cold albeit I've maybe not been out in it for long enough to tell yet...I'll review my opinion at lunchtime!

Spends today should be limited to gym payment tonight. Yesterday was a NSD.

£10.86 cashed out from Prolific - £2.41 pending.
    OnePoll now at £9.65
    Must log in and sort out TCB.

**edit** £5.86 coming from TCB
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 08-02-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 4,095 Posts
    • 45,561 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Greying In fairness if someone offered YOU a bit of toast with a smear of something brown and sticky looking on it, would your first reaction be to eat it?! Thought not!
    Phrased like that EH.... p'raps not...........

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 50,555 Posts
    • 193,284 Thanks
    beanielou
    Phrased like that EH.... p'raps not...........

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Indeed

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 8th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 45,253 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    OK - unplanned spendiness has occurred. Hear me out though - it's all good, I think...

Had an email through last week from "Heartier" - the meat people that MSE do deals with from time to time. We had one of their meat boxes on the last of those offers and were VERY impressed - excellent quality and provenance, all high welfare etc. The offer last week was for 55% off one of their bigger boxes - and we ummed and ahhed over it. The reminder came through today and we did some more debating before deciding to go for it - but to order a few extra bits as well to bring the order to the £50 threshold for free delivery so as to increase the value still further. Spend to save - that's a thing right? So next Tuesday I have arriving:
    Roasts & Steaks box (Link HERE
    1 x ham hock
    1 x pack Scrag End lamb
    2 x packs pork sausages
    Paying a total of £50.40 - and I reckon I'll extract at least 33 meals out of that including several Sunday lunches which I always budget a bit extra for. Happy with that and well worth a spend. The aim between now and then will be to eat as much from the freezer as we can, naturally...!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 50,555 Posts
    • 193,284 Thanks
    beanielou
    That is a fab deal

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,807 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Always think those deals look good by my OH doesn't like pork or gammon so I struggle to make them work for us.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 23,570 Posts
    • 41,863 Thanks
    ZTD
    Eh-up Z -
    Eee by gum lass...

thanks for popping by! Yes - a lot of the MoT Test stuff is to do with the DPF's - mine has one and MrEH's hasn't (Well we don't think so - trying to find a definite on this is not proving easy!)
    Next time you get an MOT, ask the garage. If you have one, they'll even be able to prod it with a screw driver to show.

but anything we'd look to replace his with now will be our "long distance and Islands" car so we'll not be buying anything ancient.
    I wasn't suggesting buying anything ancient as such, just an older Mercedes Benz is likely to be more reliable than a newer "Great Wall"...

I must admit, if buying a new car is going to be banned, I'll be buying something simple with a huge lump of iron connected to the wheels. It isn't going to be efficient, but will last for centuries.

VERY glad you mentioned the thing about the National Grid's concerns in relation to all this electric car stuff too - then you have the fact that in London (And I suspect a lot of other cities too!) you can't charge the things outside home as you're not allowed to run cables over the pavement...
    Don't worry. The Government will release a series of adverts showing how just looking at a charge meter will automatically charge your car with no user input, just like having a smart meter saves you money automatically...

And then Nutella happens...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 9th Feb 18, 10:44 PM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 45,253 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    LOL Z I now have visions of electric cars charging rather like the wireless charging on the newest Apple phones - you drive them over a pad and they just charge magically! Actually maybe that's not so far-fetched...hmmm!

We need to do some proper thinking on the subject of cars for sure.

Prolific money has arrived and been transferred to the 0% card - this month's DD will take that to under £400 to pay off which I'm quite chuffed with.
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 10-02-2018 at 2:54 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Feb 18, 11:59 AM
    • 23,570 Posts
    • 41,863 Thanks
    ZTD
    LOL Z I now have visions of electric chars charging
    I read that as "chairs"...

Shocking, I know.

rather like the wireless charging on the newest Apple phones
    When senior managers talk about wireless anything, we invite them to go up on the roof during a thunderstorm to harvest the free wireless electricity on offer.

And of course we offer them a free umbrella to hold...

- you drive them over a pad and they just charge magically! Actually maybe that's not so far-fetched...hmmm!
    Wireless charging is about 50% efficient (in comparison to wire), and that's with things in close (flat) contact. Electric toothbrushes are more efficient, but that's due to the little nubbin (made of ferrite) which goes up the toothbrush's bum (which is where the coil is).

So you will need twice the power for pads than if you just provided a socket.

We need to do some proper thinking on the subject of cars for sure.
    And somebody had to mention the 'T' word...

Why instead, don't we do anything and just virtue signal for a couple of decades? Then when the chickens come home to roost (frozen and from orbit) we just spend stupid amounts of money we don't have on stupid knee-jerk reactions?

Mentioning no names (Hinkley Point).

Prolific money has arrived and been transferred to the 0% card - this month's DD will take that to under £400 to pay off which I'm quite chuffed with.
    How long before it's gone?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 50,555 Posts
    • 193,284 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the card

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 10th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 45,253 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I read that as "chairs"... I've corrected it now...and given myself a kick up the derrière for not reading back and spellchecking!

Shocking, I know.
    It would have been!

When senior managers talk about wireless anything, we invite them to go up on the roof during a thunderstorm to harvest the free wireless electricity on offer.

And of course we offer them a free umbrella to hold...

By "offer" you mean "superglue to their hands" I assume?

Wireless charging is about 50% efficient (in comparison to wire), and that's with things in close (flat) contact. Electric toothbrushes are more efficient, but that's due to the little nubbin (made of ferrite) which goes up the toothbrush's bum (which is where the coil is).

So you will need twice the power for pads than if you just provided a socket.
    I knew there was a reason I didn't want a wirelessly charging phone. (Other than the MSE one of being perfectly happy with the bargain basement version of the iPhone I have!)

And somebody had to mention the 'T' word...
    Well I was meaning on a personal level rather than a global one...but I take your point!

Why instead, don't we do anything and just virtue signal for a couple of decades? Then when the chickens come home to roost (frozen and from orbit) we just spend stupid amounts of money we don't have on stupid knee-jerk reactions?
    Precisely what I expect to happen - well aside form the chickens possibly...

Mentioning no names (Hinkley Point).
    Don;t talk about....Oh....you did....

How long before it's gone?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Card stops being 0% by the end of October so I want it gone ahead of that. If things start getting tight I still have all the money I had saved for the items that got BT'd to it stashed into savings though - well aside from about £70 so it's definitely not going to go to interest charging. At that stage if there is anything photographic I have my eye on I'll wait for either a further 0% BT offer or a 0% on purchases one - but if there's nothing I'm in the market for at that stage I'll just close the card. No, we're not starting a book on the unlikeliness of me having anything new on my camera kit wish-list by that stage...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 10th Feb 18, 3:10 PM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 45,253 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Parkrun this morning - our other fairly local one but without the hills of our very local one - it did however have large icy puddles which made life "interesting" - I was expecting that they might have gone by the time we came round for the second lap but no, still lurking threateningly. Thank goodness for grass verges. Harder work than it should have been because the furthest I've run in a few weeks has been about a mile and a half - but not actually desperately tough which I guess is good - stepped up the pace for about the last half mile (aside the icy puddled bit) and now need to decide whether I'd have been better leaving my speed turn a bit later and having enough left in me for a sprint finish...hmmm. There was tea & cake afterwards - MrEH's treat bless him.

Only other plan for the day is to head to the rugby club later for some beers once the lads get back from their away match - England -v- Wales will be on so that should be entertaining. Well, hopefully it will be entertaining for England...we'll see.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 10th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 8,924 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Well done on the park run! Our most local was cancelled because of the ice ... Not that I planned on participating Maybe in the tea and cake

Hope you've had a good afternoon
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,867Posts Today

6,116Users online

Martin's Twitter