Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 8,307Posts
    • 44,243Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure?
    • 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure? 28th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Well well - here we are again then, new diary as threatened promised - the previous one can be found HERE - there are others too - if I can be bothered to go find them I'll add in some links, otherwise feel free to go stalking if you should wish to!

Previous diary to the previous one mentioned above...
    ..and the previous one to that, too...

So, I've been here a while (since 2008, in fact) and can't ever imagine quite managing to leave entirely now. I've made some seriously good friends thanks to this place (Stripes, Cheery, I'm looking at you ladies!) - and for that reason alone I'll hang about like a bad smell for as long as they'll have me. A brief summary of "me" - too short to reach anything interesting, Londoner (full of resentment due to being forced out when we wanted to buy somewhere to live - damned incomers and property prices!) currently living in Essex with MrEH. The username is Essex = for where we are currently, and Hebridean = representing the fact that the long term plan is to move to the ludicrously far-flung but ridiculously beautiful islands off the west coast of Scotland. (as and when the move happens I shall be requesting a change of name to LondonHebridean so nobody even THINK about taking that one, OK?)

Started on here with a loan and a tenuous grasp on our money, plus a mortgage. Budgeting happened. An emergency fund was built. We discovered we liked the challenge of teaching financial institutions a lesson. The loan was kicked into touch first off, and then we started the onslaught on the mortgage. Various adventures along the way including losing half my income practically overnight and a 6 year experiment with being self-employed, all good fun. We waved a cheerful goodbye to the mortgage on 30th September this year - paying it off over 12 years early and according to MrEH's clever spreadsheet saving ourselves around £35k in interest had we left it to run to term. Go us, eh?

So - this is the next chapter, really. While debt free (and that seems amazing) we want to:

a) Stay that way
    b) Build a savings pot - firstly to ensure that we can at the least put down a chunky deposit against a future "Islandy" dwelling, and secondly to assist with a lifestyle which is less work and more full when we get there.
    c) Do up our existing flat to make it into a fab place for us to live while we're still here, and a desirable rental for when we're not.
    d) Have fun. Lots of it.

There will be food, regular lunatic visitors (that's this thread, not at home, although sometimes at home too), a reluctance to wield hairbrushes, some Little Red Jets, and hopefully some laughs along the way. Want to join me for the ride? Well I'd be delighted - grab a chair!!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 17-11-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£758.45 (19/12/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Page 46
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 4th Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Very inspiring post, and well though out plans. I am torn between having general goals as you have listed or more specific ones. I'm not sure which would work better for me, but I didn't do so well with my list last year

Your trip sounds brilliant. Is it hard to leave each time or does it inspire you to get moved up there any sooner than planned?
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 4th Jan 18, 5:53 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 5,967 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Great to hear you had a good break EH . Liking your challenges for the year .
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3209 CC2 £308

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • starnac
    • By starnac 4th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 5,237 Posts
    • 24,571 Thanks
    starnac
    Your holiday sounds fab. So does Frugal February. We will be doing something similar. Can't do it this month due to our holiday. I'll be following your blog with interest.
    Savings £0
    Shopping £24.82/£200
    Overpayments made £0
    Make £2018 in 2018 #70 £5/£2018
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 4th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 3,301 Posts
    • 8,503 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Happy new year EH

Glad you had a fab time and plans all sounding good

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3%

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 4th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 2,875 Posts
    • 16,695 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sounds like you had a great time in the Hebrides EH and your goals sound good .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £110.76/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Jan 18, 11:34 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 44,243 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Misty yep it is always hard to leave - but equally "normal life" is working for us at the moment too - and while we do definitely want to move up there, we're also reasonably content where we are until that can happen. There's also certain things we need to do before we can make the move anyway which to some extent makes things easier as it's sort of mapped out for us if that makes sense. Leaving this time was harder than it sometimes is as we've got to wait until October to get back over again.

OK - food shopping for this week is all done now I think - £15 in ThaT supermarkeT yesterday, plus £3.23 in Lil's this morning and £1.13 in Al's. Also spent £6 over at the market mainly on crisps but that got us qjuite a lot of crisps and they'll keep MrEH going for lunches for the foreseeable, as well as some large bags for eating as part of snacky teas. The T's stuff was paid via the card (on Pay+ as that earns us extra CC points) but everything else was paid for in cash as per my plans to keep better track of spends. Of course the downside of this is that currently the food stuff has come out of my personal spending money... Hmmm! Note to self: Get more organised and take some food money out of the bank to leave here.

Wandered into town and bought only what I'd gone for - couple of items in Boots and a top for the gym (£3.50 from Primark) - again, all cash. Thought "Oh I must just go and have a look round the charity shops while I'm here" then reminded myself that no, I didn't need to do that at all, and came home instead.

Spent this evening sorting out some upcoming fun stuff - agreed with a pal that as we're both planning on going to Derby Beer Festival and then Norwich Beer Festival the next day it will work out very nicely if he drives between the two (he offered, but I wasn't intending to take the car to Derby anyway!) and subsequently booked a night's accommodation in Derby for £19.50 (Travdelodge using their 50% off Friday night stays code). Not expecting the train to Derby to cost too much as I'll book via Megatrain as usual, but we do still need to book Norwich accommodation.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Jan 18, 12:31 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    All sounding fab EH

Along with some fun stuff planned

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Jan 18, 8:35 AM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 5,967 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    EH read you diary yesterday and stole the Travelodge tip , thanks for that paying £21 I think for room next Friday .

Your plans sound good fun, did you go last year to beer festival ? Been to a few in my lifetime but none recently .

Enjoy Sunday .

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 7th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 12,870 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...reminded myself that no, I didn't need to do that at all, and came home instead. ...
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Well done EH!!!

I'm sensing a theme on the boards today - was just over at GP's who said much the same!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 2,875 Posts
    • 16,695 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You did well to stick to your shopping list in town, not easy when the sales are on . Maybe having just returned from the Hebrides helps, because all that beautiful nature must make possessions seem less important.
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 8th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    things seem to be ticking along nicely!

Well done on the charity shop avoidance - I got into the habit of popping in to see if there were items I might sell on ebay whenever I was in town, but always ended up finding something for me.
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 16th Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 44,243 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Oops - well what a slacker I've been! And so soon into the year as well - very poor of me!

Cumbria Lass we went to all three of the upcoming beer festivals last year as well - and thoroughly enjoyed them all!

Norwich accommodation made up for the cheap one for Derby as the Premier Inn there is always a pricey one annoyingly. It's central, convenient, and the parking isn't too expensive on top though, so we stick with it. I've also now booked some accommodation for a trip we're making later in the year which amusingly cost almost the same for 2 nights as Norwich cost for 1! Oh well! Still need to book my Derby travel and I can do that now as I know what times others are planning to get there.

Shopping at the weekend stayed within limits - £20 in ThaT supermarkeT which included 2 boxes of cereal for MrEH as it was on offer. £7 odd in Al's for stuff that would have cost me nearly £2 more had I bought it in T's. Then £15 in the Farm Shop on Sunday but that doesn't come from the regular food budget - about £10 of it was beer, and we also got the oranges for this year's marmalade making session which commenced last night. I gather from MrEH that he can't make the second batch until he gets some more jars from the garage, but this also means that all the jars that were cluttering the shelf up are now back in use so hurrah for that!

Further spendiness on Sunday was on the clothing side - needed a new sports bra as my old one is a) a bit too big now and b) wasn't as supportive as it might have been when it was newer . Found that the shop at the outlet village had a Buy One Get another half price offer on their already discounted prices so got myself 2 x Shock Absorber Ultimate Run Bras for £45 which I was happy with. Also bought my new pair of walking shoes (same style as my current pair so I know they work for me) for £30, and grabbed a pair of cropped trousers in Weird Fish reduced to £16 - I'm painfully aware that when summer hits I'm going to be back in the position of having almost no clothes that fit so it seems sensible to grab decent stuff at a good price when I see it.

My challenge to exercise every day this month is still on track I'm pleased to say - and, guess what? On Saturday I completed the Couch to 5K programme AND ran my first parkrun! SO pleased with myself - I really never thought that was anything I'd be able to do just a few months ago and now I am - amazing feeling! I've also been doing lots of walking, quite a lot of short High Intensity sessions, have been sticking to going to the gym once a week and generally doing quite a lot of moving.

All good then - this week is a quiet one until the weekend - I'm planning to run tonight and probably Thursday, and gym tomorrow, then hoping the weather stays good enough that I can head to Scampton on Friday - not been up for ages! Saturday I might do parkrun again - we'll see, and on Sunday MrEH and I are popping into London for the Festival of Light thing which was excellent when we went back in 2016 so we're looking forward to that! We'll get lunch somewhere up there as well so there WILL be spendiness!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 4,922 Thanks
    redofromstart
    well done on the couch to 5k and the park run.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    • 2,875 Posts
    • 16,695 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Well done on the running, very impressive and great bargains on the clothes.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 44,243 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Thanks ladies!

All ticking over then - and finally I am starting to make a bit of an impact on the freezer so feeling quite chuffed about that. The meal plan has derailed a bit currently though as somewhere along the line I substituted a meal over the weekend and there was a gap for later in the week that I was meant to think about, but...well... Tonight's sorted - pasta with sardines & butterbeans, but not too sure what we're having tomorrow as yet so need to think about that. It might well end up as risotto though as I have some mushrooms that need used. if they go in the pasta tonight though I'll have to think again!

Food stuff to think on:
    Tatties need used
    Filo pastry in freezer - "sorta"Homity pie for the weekend? This would incorporate the tatties and some onion, as well as containing cheese and cheese is always good. If so I need to scout through the freezer for any bacon, or, more likely, buy some bacon.
    Carrots. Might just chop the lot up and make some soup for myself. That would sort out saturday lunch for me.
    Single sweet potato still to use?
    Sausages in freezer - only good for me as they've got red wine in.
    PLENTY of frozen veg in freezer, and another small tub of that leftover gravy - so perhaps another gardeners pie next week? Will need more tatties if so.
    Final bit of smoked chicken needs to be eked out to go a LONG way - pasta one night next week, cheaty soft cheese sauce, lots of mushrooms, lots of herbs...

Yesterday was a NSD - today won't be as I've got the gym tonight (£7) and may as well book my train for Derby at lunchtime too. If I do that today then that means that tomorrow might be a NSD as well. Friday won't be - aiming to get to Scampton to watch whizzy red jets all being well, and will most likely get diesel while I'm up there as it's usually a lot cheaper than down here!

Survey-wise I need a kick up the behind. Been utterly slack on it and if I'm not to slip behind on card paying off then I need to get going again.
    Prolific: £7 odd payable.
    TCB - there's about £6 I can claim which I need to crack on and do.
    OnePoll - around £7 sitting on there but it seems to be down this morning.
    YouGov - starting to wonder if there is ANY chance of getting a payout from them EVER!
    Populus - I'd do better if I actually DID the flipping surveys they sent... Grr.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 5,967 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    EH have you ran before doing couch to 5k ? I really want to try and do running again , but always think it’s not for me . I do have a lung problem that is sorted for now but could happen again but running is always recommend by my consultant along with swimming.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 49,511 Posts
    • 186,289 Thanks
    beanielou
    With you on YOu Gov.
    If I ever get to payout I will not be doing it again.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 4,922 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Cumbria, the couch to 5k programme things are excellent, From never having so much run for a bus and a size 16 at the time, I did sofa bum to 5k in ten weeks - had to repeat a few weeks to get there but amazing how fast your body adapts. If you are at all concerned try doing it on the treadmill, its a lot easier on your joints. I am tempted to try again on the treadmill but what I enjoyed most was garden watching as I went round.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,354Posts Today

8,703Users online

Martin's Twitter