Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 8,232Posts
    • 43,616Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure?
    • 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure? 28th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Well well - here we are again then, new diary as threatened promised - the previous one can be found HERE - there are others too - if I can be bothered to go find them I'll add in some links, otherwise feel free to go stalking if you should wish to!

Previous diary to the previous one mentioned above...
    ..and the previous one to that, too...

So, I've been here a while (since 2008, in fact) and can't ever imagine quite managing to leave entirely now. I've made some seriously good friends thanks to this place (Stripes, Cheery, I'm looking at you ladies!) - and for that reason alone I'll hang about like a bad smell for as long as they'll have me. A brief summary of "me" - too short to reach anything interesting, Londoner (full of resentment due to being forced out when we wanted to buy somewhere to live - damned incomers and property prices!) currently living in Essex with MrEH. The username is Essex = for where we are currently, and Hebridean = representing the fact that the long term plan is to move to the ludicrously far-flung but ridiculously beautiful islands off the west coast of Scotland. (as and when the move happens I shall be requesting a change of name to LondonHebridean so nobody even THINK about taking that one, OK?)

Started on here with a loan and a tenuous grasp on our money, plus a mortgage. Budgeting happened. An emergency fund was built. We discovered we liked the challenge of teaching financial institutions a lesson. The loan was kicked into touch first off, and then we started the onslaught on the mortgage. Various adventures along the way including losing half my income practically overnight and a 6 year experiment with being self-employed, all good fun. We waved a cheerful goodbye to the mortgage on 30th September this year - paying it off over 12 years early and according to MrEH's clever spreadsheet saving ourselves around £35k in interest had we left it to run to term. Go us, eh?

So - this is the next chapter, really. While debt free (and that seems amazing) we want to:

a) Stay that way
    b) Build a savings pot - firstly to ensure that we can at the least put down a chunky deposit against a future "Islandy" dwelling, and secondly to assist with a lifestyle which is less work and more full when we get there.
    c) Do up our existing flat to make it into a fab place for us to live while we're still here, and a desirable rental for when we're not.
    d) Have fun. Lots of it.

There will be food, regular lunatic visitors (that's this thread, not at home, although sometimes at home too), a reluctance to wield hairbrushes, some Little Red Jets, and hopefully some laughs along the way. Want to join me for the ride? Well I'd be delighted - grab a chair!!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 17-11-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Page 43
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Dec 17, 4:03 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely evening EH x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Dec 17, 5:12 PM
    • 49,047 Posts
    • 182,127 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thank goodness we dont have to still do gym in out vest and pants

Enjoy the beer festival
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Dec 17, 6:06 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 10,900 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your weekend sounded amazing . I'm getting envious of your weekends .

PE in vest and pants, shudders .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    • 49,047 Posts
    • 182,127 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not to mention those auful gym skirts

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 10th Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    All caught up now - you've had an eventful few months! Are you fixing up your flat/house with the thought of selling it or are you just making it nicer for the time you have left in it? I'm assuming you will be selling it when you move to the Hebrides but maybe I'm wrong.

Your Couch to 5 k sounds very interesting. I used to run years ago but have damaged my knees over the years and just assumed I couldn't run anymore. Maybe there is hope for me yet...
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 10th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,613 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Laughing at gym in vest and pants , wouldn't be allowed now I don't think , safeguarding and all that .

Hope you are having a chilled Sunday , think you may have snow .
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Dec 17, 1:02 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,616 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Not to mention those auful gym skirts
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I have one thing to say to you Beanie - P E KNICKERS!!!!

All caught up now - you've had an eventful few months! Are you fixing up your flat/house with the thought of selling it or are you just making it nicer for the time you have left in it? I'm assuming you will be selling it when you move to the Hebrides but maybe I'm wrong.

Your Couch to 5 k sounds very interesting. I used to run years ago but have damaged my knees over the years and just assumed I couldn't run anymore. Maybe there is hope for me yet...
    Originally posted by MistyMountainTop
    The current thinking is that we'll keep the existing place and rent it out when we move up there Misty - it would be handy to have that bit of income from it and also to have nit thre as a safety net should we need to move back for any reason.

I'd say give C25K a go although that depends on what the issues with your knees are - I've got arthritis in both, and have been surprised how few problems I have had with them running. Do make sure you have decent shoes though, and think about mnaybe running on grass before tarmac.

Laughing at gym in vest and pants , wouldn't be allowed now I don't think , safeguarding and all that .

Hope you are having a chilled Sunday , think you may have snow .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    We did indeed have snow - and for us quite a lot of it too - nearly 6" we reckoned we ended up with! We didn't have anywhere much to go and where we did need to get to we elected to walk instead of taking the car, and even had a snowball fight on the way! Great fun, but it's now all icy and slippy and I rather wish it would go away!

I'm getting Christmas under control I think - we have "Christmas day" on Sunday at Mum & Dad's but this rather escaped me so I think there might be a few presents arriving a bit late. Oops! I've got some cooking to do but will do that on saturday with MrEH's assistance - I've also got Thursday off work in addition to my usual Friday so have a nice long weekend.

Got a few presenty bits over the weekend and have ordered more online but those are all covered by the present account savings. Popped to Go Outdoors to get the lined trousers I need for the Hebrides and hoped that transaction would make it to the next months CC bill but needless to say they managed to squeeze it through on last months instead - devils! Oh well, just means I'll have to raid my savings account for the trousers. Must also remember that the yearly cashback reward is on this month's statement so that needs shuffling across from the joint account to the holiday account so it doesn't get lost. I'll try and do the sums for the CC statement at lunchtime to get it out of the way as it's online now.

Once my regular saver account comes to its year's term in January I'll have a "spare" savings account so I think I might start setting something aside in there for clothes. There are still a few bits on my list that are needed but I'm hoping not to need too much more now. However it would be nice to actually have money waiting if I find there is something I want or need.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 10,900 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad you're getting Christmas under control.

I haven't written any cards yet and I'll have to hurry or I'll miss the date for second class post .

At least we don't have snow to worry about but it must look very Christmassy
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Dec 17, 3:30 PM
    • 49,047 Posts
    • 182,127 Thanks
    beanielou
    HHD~~Think second class cards arent til the 20th?
    yes, & 1st is 21st for those who get stamps for surveys.

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,616 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    We don't do too many cards these days but the reminder/warning is good. Another thing for my not-yet-made list for tomorrow/the weekend!

Our snow made a good effort at thawing overnight thankfully so hopefully the pavements will be ice-free by tomorrow and I'll be able to run. Flipped things about a bit this week by doing the gym last night instead - achey today! Did however prove that I can now run for 9 minutes without stopping - albeit on a treadmill. Astonishing though!

Got a Secret survey through yesterday so another £3 - and have cashed out £6 from there today.
    Just over £3 on OnePoll.
    Prolific still quiet.
    Had a couple of Populus in the past few days.

Today should be a NSD as far as I can think - and I've got all the CC stuff noted to sort out the transfers at lunchtime too. Definitely want to gt that sorted early this month as there's so much going on.

Cooking ahead pays off tonight as all I have to do for dinner is shove the two remaining portions of cauli/pasta/broccoli cheese bake and some of the roast veggies in the oven to heat up. Yum! Means we can crack on with some of the "needs doing" stuff for half an hour while that's sorting itself out.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Dec 17, 11:11 AM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 10,900 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    HHD~~Think second class cards arent til the 20th?
    yes, & 1st is 21st for those who get stamps for surveys.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Phew I've got a bit more time than I though, thanks beanie .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 10,900 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your dinner sounds nice EH, mind if I join you?
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 13th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Your dinner sounds nice EH, mind if I join you?
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    and me.
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Dec 17, 11:15 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,616 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Aww shucks - saw these too late and it's all eaten - sorry Misty & HH!

Well change of plan for me for the next couple of days as there's no flying as Scampton on Friday - boo! For a good reason though as the boys are doing their annual Great Ormond Street Christmas visit. They're only flying a half day tomorrow as well so I've elected to ditch heading up until after new year now.

Instead I have a monster list of things to do and plans to run several times as our ice has finally thawed!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,616 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hurrah - another £46 paid to the 0% card today thanks to OnePoll & Secret survey site money landing! AND that takes me to over £700 paid off it which was of course my goal for the year! Even better, the standard monthly payment is still to go to it as well so that will then take me to below £500 still to pay!

Masses done off my monster list today - including paying the Christmas car hire cost. Also bagged a 70p bottle of bubble bath in the chemist when I went in for my prescription - no idea why it was reduced but Radox for that price works for me! Went to Al's while I was out as well and bought the stuff on my shopping list that I knew were tasty and a lower price in there so that's less to do in Sainsbugs tomorrow. Handily both the Amazon deliveries I was expecting also turned up this morning - useful as one of them was originally due after the date I needed to give the present to the recipient!

Got out for a run first thing as planned - lovely to be out there again although it was a bit slippery underfoot in places. That's day 2 of week five C25K done though - might try for day 3 tomorrow! I was pleased with how today went though - I could easily have carried on running after it told me to stop and the hills were definitely less of a challenge!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Dec 17, 8:02 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,613 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Your running is going well EH , I can't run for toffee . Christmas sounds like it's all organised in your house. Your survey payouts came just at the right time well done.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Dec 17, 6:57 PM
    • 49,047 Posts
    • 182,127 Thanks
    beanielou
    WEll done on CC.
    Have a happy weekend

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 10,900 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Well done on the running, presents and 0% card .
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 12,487 Thanks
    rtandon27
    EH - you are soooooooooooooooooooo organized!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 15th Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely weekend EH x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin