Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 8,232Posts
    • 43,627Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure?
    • 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure? 28th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Well well - here we are again then, new diary as threatened promised - the previous one can be found HERE - there are others too - if I can be bothered to go find them I'll add in some links, otherwise feel free to go stalking if you should wish to!

Previous diary to the previous one mentioned above...
    ..and the previous one to that, too...

So, I've been here a while (since 2008, in fact) and can't ever imagine quite managing to leave entirely now. I've made some seriously good friends thanks to this place (Stripes, Cheery, I'm looking at you ladies!) - and for that reason alone I'll hang about like a bad smell for as long as they'll have me. A brief summary of "me" - too short to reach anything interesting, Londoner (full of resentment due to being forced out when we wanted to buy somewhere to live - damned incomers and property prices!) currently living in Essex with MrEH. The username is Essex = for where we are currently, and Hebridean = representing the fact that the long term plan is to move to the ludicrously far-flung but ridiculously beautiful islands off the west coast of Scotland. (as and when the move happens I shall be requesting a change of name to LondonHebridean so nobody even THINK about taking that one, OK?)

Started on here with a loan and a tenuous grasp on our money, plus a mortgage. Budgeting happened. An emergency fund was built. We discovered we liked the challenge of teaching financial institutions a lesson. The loan was kicked into touch first off, and then we started the onslaught on the mortgage. Various adventures along the way including losing half my income practically overnight and a 6 year experiment with being self-employed, all good fun. We waved a cheerful goodbye to the mortgage on 30th September this year - paying it off over 12 years early and according to MrEH's clever spreadsheet saving ourselves around £35k in interest had we left it to run to term. Go us, eh?

So - this is the next chapter, really. While debt free (and that seems amazing) we want to:

a) Stay that way
    b) Build a savings pot - firstly to ensure that we can at the least put down a chunky deposit against a future "Islandy" dwelling, and secondly to assist with a lifestyle which is less work and more full when we get there.
    c) Do up our existing flat to make it into a fab place for us to live while we're still here, and a desirable rental for when we're not.
    d) Have fun. Lots of it.

There will be food, regular lunatic visitors (that's this thread, not at home, although sometimes at home too), a reluctance to wield hairbrushes, some Little Red Jets, and hopefully some laughs along the way. Want to join me for the ride? Well I'd be delighted - grab a chair!!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 17-11-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Page 42
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 23rd Nov 17, 9:40 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 4,646 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Just checking the 5p has turned up, well done. Just in time for Christmas.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 23rd Nov 17, 10:59 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad you got your 5p .

I've cashed out over £10 on PA and now got £5.50 pending and £1.30 balance . Shame I'm going away tomorrow, but I know it won't last.

I can't wait to get back to my regular walking after the wedding. You can see some lovely sunrises at this time of year without going out too early .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 23rd Nov 17, 11:09 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Glad you finally for the 5p x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 27th Nov 17, 5:00 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,627 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I was very pleased that the 5p finally showed itself! My summary page on there now shows £25 as my next cashout amount too which feels rather more achieveable.

Check Prolific this morning - now over £10 on payable so I'll nab that on Thursday. There was a survey sitting there too but it needed some software downloaded and I won't do those so I left that for someone else.

Weekend was a bit spendy but very enjoyable. Whizzed up to Scampton on Friday morning, watched the Reds practising through until lunchtime and caught up with a pal too, before hopping back in the car and continuing to Sheffield to catch up with some more friends - one current MSE and one former MSE! (Got to love the DFW family!) There was beer, cake, a chinese takeaway, a gig in a very nice pub, some general wandering and much chat and laughing. Can't ask for more than that!

Yesterday MrEH and I had our planned & booked trip to the abandoned station at Down Street on the underground - absolutely fascinating, it wasn't cheap but my goodness it was worth it! Great fun standing right by a door leading to the track and watching Piccadilly line trains going past too - wondering whether anyone on the train thought they were going mad because they suddenly saw faces in the tunnel! Then spent the afternoon at the London Transport Museum as our tickets for the tour gave us free entry there. Definitely NOT an MSE day out mind - the tickets were already paid for of course but we breakfasted in our favourite place in town and then had fish & chips for tea!

Food for this week is all planned out and the final Sainsbugs voucher got used when MrEH did the shopping on Saturday so that should see an extra few Nectar points hitting the account as we used all five of the vouchers.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Nov 17, 5:18 PM
    • 49,066 Posts
    • 182,241 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had such a fab weekend
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 27th Nov 17, 5:31 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sounds like an amazing weekend

Glad you had a lovely time x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 29th Nov 17, 12:26 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,627 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Thanks all! Yep, it really was excellent!

Pretty quiet this week MSE-wise - got paid yesterday so did the relevant money-shuffling. Only spending so far was £2 on conditioner and toothpaste on Monday - handy that I remembered I needed both as I was wandering past £land. Yesterday was a NSD. Today won't be as I'll go to the gym straight from work.

I need to start getting my head into gear in advance of Christmas - not least as we're heading to the Hebrides so there's packing and all sorts to do. Must also remember that the car hire still needs paid but that's going to wait until after the new CC month on the 10th. Other than that the financial side of that is all covered - money set aside for the purpose covered the balance of the cottage rental, and the car hire, food and any other spending will be covered by our VSP savings which are looking very healthy this year.

I was going to buy a couple of bits I could do with if I'm going to keep up running - a small easy to carry water bottle and a belt that will take keys, phone etc, but I've been very good and added them on to my Christmas list. Similarly I need more running leggings but I've shoved those on there too. I can manage with what I have for the next couple of weeks and I'll see what comes up if the New Years sales if nobody buys me those bits.

Also on the front I spotted the new Tesco savings account that was featured in the weekly email and having discussed with MrEH we've agreed to move a chunk of our ISA savings over to there - it's earning next to nothing in the ISA currently but the Tesco account is easy access so if rates increase we can just shift it again. I'll see if I can get that applied for and opened shortly.

Not sure I'm looking forward to the new windows being fitted on Friday now the temperatures have plummeted quite so much - it's going to be freezing! We are making good use of the day though as we've also got the electrician coming to evaluate what needs doing to the flat (quite a lot, sadly!) and also I've finally remembered to book the windscreen repair my car needs so hopefully that will get done too.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 30th Nov 17, 1:04 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Sounds like a very "doing" time with the windows, electrician and car windscreen! Might be a bit chilly while they're fitting them, but should be worth it once they're done I hope!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • Plush
    • By Plush 30th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Plush

Also on the front I spotted the new Tesco savings account that was featured in the weekly email and having discussed with MrEH we've agreed to move a chunk of our ISA savings over to there - it's earning next to nothing in the ISA currently but the Tesco account is easy access so if rates increase we can just shift it again. I'll see if I can get that applied for and opened shortly.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Which account is that, Essex?
    current credit debt Dec-2017 £12800 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
    • starnac
    • By starnac 30th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 24,165 Thanks
    starnac
    EH our new windows were fitted in a February back when DS was only 3 months old. The fitters were fantastic with us. Ensuring that we were not affected by the "open" windows at any point by planning their way around the house well so that we could stay out of their way. We weren't too cold although we were glad when they were done!
    I need a new signature!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 30th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    All sounding very organised and busy!

New windows will be more than worth it when done though! Especially with how cold it is x

ETA peanut butter cereal is on offer on S&S on Amazon I don't actually know if it's a good offer because I've never bought it
    Last edited by WannabeFree; 30-11-2017 at 8:22 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 30th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your weekend sounds great fun .

I hope you don't feel too chilly having your windows fitted but it'll be lovely when they're done. It's always exciting having improvements done to tbe house .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Dec 17, 9:57 AM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,627 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Which account is that, Essex?
    Originally posted by Plush
    Oops - sorry Plush, was sure I'd replied to that! it's the Tesco Bank "internet saver" account that Martin's email mentioned last week - the interest rate has just been increased to 1.35% I think it was which makes it a fairly decent option at the moment for anyone who doesn't want to lock money away for a year or two. Mind you I think rates generally are on the rise - Nationwide have confirmed that they are putting most of their savings rates up by 0.25% in line with the base rate increase.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,627 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Starnac, T&K, HH it was FREEZING while the windows were being done but Brian was great - did one section at a time so we never had the whole of the side of the room open at once, and it already feels SO much better in there! we worked hard to get all the curtains and everything straight back up once he'd gone too which was well worth it. SO pleased! Ev en better was that it turned out that the price he'd given us originally did include the VAT as well so it was substantially cheaper than we were expecting too!

WF I'll have to explore that for the cereal - I've actually never bought food stuffs on Amazon so it would never have occurred to me to look there! Thank you! I've stretched the lifespan of the existing box out a wee bit as I got a couple of free sachets of a puffed mixed grain cereal at the Food Show so I've had one of those today!

Food show was ace - we are now all stocked up on assorted different rapeseed oils, I bought 12 apples for £2 (the lovely tasty Jazz & Kanzi ones!) and we've got cheese galore! I might also have bought a bottle of Gin and a bottle of Rum (caramel coconut rum, no less!) and we got some nice foody bits for christmas too - some of which will be heading to the Hebrides with us, and some will be eaten either at our family christmas, or over New Year. Always lovely to see the regular stallholders we've been seeing there for years too - and this year especially the lovely folks from the smokehouse up on Uist who were most delighted to find people who actually know their gorgeous island! (They were so pleased in fact that they gave us a lovely discount on our salmon!)

All in all a very foody and fun weekend - we hit the pubs in Birmingham on Saturday night - starting at one we've discovered is only half a mile from the Travelodge we stay at - and then heading into Birmingham where we were surprised by 4 lovely pals who we thought had forgotten about our visit - fab too see them all and we had a great night. Ate incredible burgers at one of the pubs and found some really nice beer too. Sunday evening we have a tradition of going for an Indian and a bit of a search found a superb award winning Indian restaurant about half a mile up the road - went for their buffet option which was great as it really pushed us out of our comfort zone and I tried some stuff I'd never have gone for normally. We'll certainly be returning there next year - it was amazing! came back via Cambridge for a bit of Christmas shopping too which rounded the weekend off nicely. (And MrEH surprised me in his MSE'ness when we went to grab a cold drink as we were thirsty - it was him that suggested we went and got a big bottle of juice to share rather than two smaller ones, and he was right too - it worked out much cheaper! )

So, back to normality for a few days now - the electrician is in at home today running the test on the electrics so we can find out what needs doing there. Oh well - we need to know! I ran last night so that's week 4 of Couch to 5K done - week 5 looks a bit scary but we'll see how we go! I won't be running again until Friday now though I don't think - Gym tomorrow but just regular walking aside from that. MUST start getting to grips with Christmas stuff now too - I think I need a list or what still needs sorting out/buying.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 49,066 Posts
    • 182,241 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had a fab weekend
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 5th Dec 17, 3:18 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    just wanted to say hello after my time away!!

I haven't managed to catch up with everything yet but I have been reading your blog. I'm so glad you're ok xx
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Dec 17, 3:28 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,627 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    OOOH MISTY!!!! You're back!!! Hurrah!

And Beanie - thank you! x
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 5th Dec 17, 5:28 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sounds like an amazing weekend

Glad the windows went smoothly too x
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 6th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 4,646 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Great weekend Essex and new windows to keep out the cold. Some good food and drink there for the festive season as well.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 7th Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,627 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Thanks ladies!

Inadvertent NSD yesterday as I forgot my gym bag when I left for work! Mercifully at my age there's no compulsion to do it in your vest & pants! Oh well - £7 saved and I did the Shred workout instead so my quads are screaming at me today. Aiming to run tomorrow morning but might have to see how wet and cold it is!

Definitely NOT a NSD today as I'm off out for a meal with some pals tonight. Won't be massively late or pricey - for a start it will be booze-free as we're all driving! Then tomorrow afternoon/evening MrEH and I are off to a beer festival which will be fun - shouldn't be TOO pricey either as we usually "work" it. Well sort of. I should rally have organised the train tickets today, but somehow time has got away from me so I'll need to do that tomorrow morning now I think. Other than that the weekend is mostly going to be about Christmas shopping I think - grim but it's got to be done and at least I have a few more ideas what to get for folk now.

Other than that pretty quiet on the MSE front - I've been a total slacker on surveys this week. No sign of my OnePoll money coming through yet either but then they always take forever.

Need to make a list of meals using up some stuff - the fridge seems to have a lot of things lurking at the moment!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

5,794Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin