Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 8,199Posts
    • 43,429Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure?
    • 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure? 28th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Well well - here we are again then, new diary as threatened promised - the previous one can be found HERE - there are others too - if I can be bothered to go find them I'll add in some links, otherwise feel free to go stalking if you should wish to!

Previous diary to the previous one mentioned above...
    ..and the previous one to that, too...

So, I've been here a while (since 2008, in fact) and can't ever imagine quite managing to leave entirely now. I've made some seriously good friends thanks to this place (Stripes, Cheery, I'm looking at you ladies!) - and for that reason alone I'll hang about like a bad smell for as long as they'll have me. A brief summary of "me" - too short to reach anything interesting, Londoner (full of resentment due to being forced out when we wanted to buy somewhere to live - damned incomers and property prices!) currently living in Essex with MrEH. The username is Essex = for where we are currently, and Hebridean = representing the fact that the long term plan is to move to the ludicrously far-flung but ridiculously beautiful islands off the west coast of Scotland. (as and when the move happens I shall be requesting a change of name to LondonHebridean so nobody even THINK about taking that one, OK?)

Started on here with a loan and a tenuous grasp on our money, plus a mortgage. Budgeting happened. An emergency fund was built. We discovered we liked the challenge of teaching financial institutions a lesson. The loan was kicked into touch first off, and then we started the onslaught on the mortgage. Various adventures along the way including losing half my income practically overnight and a 6 year experiment with being self-employed, all good fun. We waved a cheerful goodbye to the mortgage on 30th September this year - paying it off over 12 years early and according to MrEH's clever spreadsheet saving ourselves around £35k in interest had we left it to run to term. Go us, eh?

So - this is the next chapter, really. While debt free (and that seems amazing) we want to:

a) Stay that way
    b) Build a savings pot - firstly to ensure that we can at the least put down a chunky deposit against a future "Islandy" dwelling, and secondly to assist with a lifestyle which is less work and more full when we get there.
    c) Do up our existing flat to make it into a fab place for us to live while we're still here, and a desirable rental for when we're not.
    d) Have fun. Lots of it.

There will be food, regular lunatic visitors (that's this thread, not at home, although sometimes at home too), a reluctance to wield hairbrushes, some Little Red Jets, and hopefully some laughs along the way. Want to join me for the ride? Well I'd be delighted - grab a chair!!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 17-11-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Page 35
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 48,977 Posts
    • 181,643 Thanks
    beanielou
    I love courgette risotto
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Oct 17, 3:44 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 43,429 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Greying I took the item concerned through the self scan and it went through at the full price - I wasn't impressed, and cancelled it and left it on the side! Managed to get the same product for the "alleged offer price" in Sooperdrug today instead.

Hidden theoretically risotto needs to use arborio rice - my Mum used to cook what she always called "risotto" for us when I was little though - it was basically savoury rice with whatever veg she needed to use thrown in - she used to use an oxo cube in the water as "stock" I think! Very tasty, used ordinary rice, and a lot less labour intensive as risotto requires a fair bit of stirring - *might* not be ideal for someone likely to have kidlings clamouring for notice while it's being cooked? I still do the standard savoury rice now if we fancy that sort of meal and I've got no risotto rice though! (Although I confess I leave out the Oxo cube!) (Sorry Mum! )

Beanie from memory Onions, parsnips, leeks, carrots, mushrooms and...ummm....something else! And yes to courgette risotto - very nice!

T&K It's proper comfort food isn't it! I love the fact that I can do it as a full veggie meal and MrEH never even notices, too!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 48,977 Posts
    • 181,643 Thanks
    beanielou
    I do risotto basically without too much stirring by chucking it all in a non stick pan

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 12th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Hope you don't mind me butting in but Good Food have a recipe for oven baked bacon and leek risotto. Is absolutely brilliant - you chuck it in the oven rather than standing over it stirring. I didn't believe it would work until I tried it - is delicious and would work with other variations too.
    Pudding rice works really well in risottos - if you can find any. It is usually cheaper too.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 12th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,459 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Oh I have loads of pudding rice. I'm going to add it to my list and definitely give it a try next week. Maybe even tomorrow if we are home late.

Thank you x
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 43,429 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Oh now that's a great tip on the pudding rice - I;d never have thought of that one!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 48,977 Posts
    • 181,643 Thanks
    beanielou
    Pudding rice~~who knew. Thanks.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 3,428 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Busy Mee, that sounds good, and leeks are only 39p I got some nice thin ones today

The sixth thing was mini potatoes - maris pipers in my local.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 14th Oct 17, 11:40 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 8,367 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hope you don't mind me butting in but Good Food have a recipe for oven baked bacon and leek risotto. Is absolutely brilliant - you chuck it in the oven rather than standing over it stirring. I didn't believe it would work until I tried it - is delicious and would work with other variations too.
    Pudding rice works really well in risottos - if you can find any. It is usually cheaper too.
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    Ooh that looks really good - found it here https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1120679/ovenbaked-leek-and-bacon-risotto

Will try that out, thank you

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3%

• Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 15th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Thanks for sharing the link Rosa - I am fairly useless at doing stuff like that.
    This risotto is a real favourite in our house and is one that Fortune Smiles over on the MF thread recommended - she shares some great recipes.
    Don't be tempted to leave out the lemon zest as it really lifts the taste x
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 43,429 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Loving the recipe sharing - I'm a big fan of the BBC Good Food site for recipes!

Struggling here this week - resurgence of a health problem that's been kicking about for a while. Didn't make it into work on Monday and suspect I'm not going to tomorrow either - not ideal but I'm literally struggling for energy for getting from the car to the office at the moment. Bleurgh.

Food has stayed reasonably on track and MrEH is being a star cook - he pretty much looked after mushroom & pea risotto on Monday. Last night we had a portion of Sunday's extremely delicious beef stew with the final two baking tatties, and tonight will be mushroom omelettes I think - again I suspect that's going to be down to MrEH to be masterchef on though.

I bought nearly everything from the S6 offer - and have ordered the "October Roasting Hamper" via the cheap MSE email link so looking forward to that turning up on Friday - will need to decide what to do with each of the individual items from that as well. The beef for the stew came from Al's last weekend - a nice piece of topside at just over 1kg cost me £6.29 and has made 7 portions of the stew.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 18th Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 2,975 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Hope you're feeling better soon. Take care of you, if you can't work then you can't work, be kind to yourself.

I do now want some beef stew, I think I need to get the slow cooker out soon which will give me loads of leftovers with it being only me and DS, probably the best way forward for me and my tiny budget.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2179.17 2419.64 0% CC:1010.98 1063.48 Total: 4970.64 5690.50 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 18th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 5,618 Thanks
    117pauline
    Sorry to hear you are not well. Sometimes you just have to let yourself mend in the way your body needs.

Sounds like Mr EH is doing just what you need. You always come across as a great partnership.

So it sounds as though it's time for the settee , tea and a snuggle down under a blanket. Let the world do what it will.

Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 18th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hope you're feeling better soon, EH!
    Take some time out and look after yourself MrEH sounds lovely and supportive.
    I am now drooling slightly over the leek and bacon risotto. Might have to do it for me when Kitty visits her dad as she hates bacon!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 18th Oct 17, 3:13 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Happierdays
    I want beef stew!
    Hope you feel better soon EH
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th Oct 17, 4:06 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 43,478 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I don't want beef stew.....

But I do want you to feel better properly so take what time it needs

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 18th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,617 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Loving the recipe sharing - I'm a big fan of the BBC Good Food site for recipes!

Struggling here this week - resurgence of a health problem that's been kicking about for a while. Didn't make it into work on Monday and suspect I'm not going to tomorrow either - not ideal but I'm literally struggling for energy for getting from the car to the office at the moment. Bleurgh.

Food has stayed reasonably on track and MrEH is being a star cook - he pretty much looked after mushroom & pea risotto on Monday. Last night we had a portion of Sunday's extremely delicious beef stew with the final two baking tatties, and tonight will be mushroom omelettes I think - again I suspect that's going to be down to MrEH to be masterchef on though.

I bought nearly everything from the S6 offer - and have ordered the "October Roasting Hamper" via the cheap MSE email link so looking forward to that turning up on Friday - will need to decide what to do with each of the individual items from that as well. The beef for the stew came from Al's last weekend - a nice piece of topside at just over 1kg cost me £6.29 and has made 7 portions of the stew.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean

I hope you feel better soon essex x
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 2078
    Cashback Earnings YTD £167.28 Survey Earnings YTD £552.88
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    • 48,977 Posts
    • 181,643 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you are on the mend soon.
    Take care xx

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 10,303 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry to hear that your'e not feeling well essex, hope you feel better soon. Great that Mr essex can take over to give you a break
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £181.63
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 19th Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 12,446 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Feel better soon EH!!!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

3,567Users online

Martin's Twitter