Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 7,774Posts
    • 40,221Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure?
    • 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure? 28th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Well well - here we are again then, new diary as threatened promised - the previous one can be found HERE - there are others too - if I can be bothered to go find them I'll add in some links, otherwise feel free to go stalking if you should wish to!

Previous diary to the previous one mentioned above...
    ..and the previous one to that, too...

So, I've been here a while (since 2008, in fact) and can't ever imagine quite managing to leave entirely now. I've made some seriously good friends thanks to this place (Stripes, Cheery, I'm looking at you ladies!) - and for that reason alone I'll hang about like a bad smell for as long as they'll have me. A brief summary of "me" - too short to reach anything interesting, Londoner (full of resentment due to being forced out when we wanted to buy somewhere to live - damned incomers and property prices!) currently living in Essex with MrEH. The username is Essex = for where we are currently, and Hebridean = representing the fact that the long term plan is to move to the ludicrously far-flung but ridiculously beautiful islands off the west coast of Scotland. (as and when the move happens I shall be requesting a change of name to LondonHebridean so nobody even THINK about taking that one, OK?)

Started on here with a loan and a tenuous grasp on our money, plus a mortgage. Budgeting happened. Am emergency fund was built. We discovered we liked the challenge of teaching financial institutions a lesson. The loan was kicked into touch first off, and then we started the onslaught on the mortgage. Various adventures along the way including losing half my income practically overnight and a 6 year experiment with being self-employed, all good fun. We waved a cheerful goodbye to the mortgage on 30th September this year - paying it off over 12 years early and according to MrEH's clever spreadsheet saving ourselves around £35k in interest had we left it to run to term. Go us, eh?

So - this is the next chapter, really. While debt free (and that seems amazing) we want to:

a) Stay that way
    b) Build a savings pot - firstly to ensure that we can at the least put down a chunky deposit against a future "Islandy" dwelling, and secondly to assist with a lifestyle which is less work and more full when we get there.
    c) Do up our existing flat to make it into a fab place for us to live while we're still here, and a desirable rental for when we're not.
    d) Have fun. Lots of it.

There will be food, regular lunatic visitors (that's this thread, not at home, although sometimes at home too), a reluctance to wield hairbrushes, some Little Red Jets, and hopefully some laughs along the way. Want to join me for the ride? Well I'd be delighted - grab a chair!!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 31-10-2016 at 8:54 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£504.92 (29/08/17)
Page 30
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Stripes you just keep your mitts off my cheese! I'll see what bargainous and tasty cheesy goodness I can find to bring with me when I come up!

RT I've had a couple of decent cheese bargains recently - there was a lump of Wensleydale for about 67p a few weeks back as well!

Shopping last night came to £27.32 which I'm happy enough with. Masses of veg in there, plus a big pack of loo rolls which will keep us going for a few months too.
    Prolific still being anything but - currently showing 70p payable and no studies today so far.

Food all planned out for the week and no further supermarket trips needed until Friday when I'll need to get odds and ends for camping at the weekend. All under control, I think!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 12th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    I had i think 2 surveys on pa over the weekend nothing since, i am worried since i became 38 and old they don't want me anymore lol

I will continue to keep checking it but luckily the back up money earners are working fine ie swagbucks and opinion outpost.
    Debts 16274.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £162.02 Survey Earnings YTD £485.18
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 12th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Just wanted to say Hi! Reading your diary helps is quite inspirational and gives me hope that one day I'll be free from the current bind! I've subscribed to follow your updates
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017:
    Barclaycard: 14382
    HSBC Credit Card : 2932
    MBNA : 2400
    Overdraft: 350
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Haha Scott you're doing better than me - I'm still on just 1 for this week!

Hey Tea & Kittens what a great username! Glad you like the diary - it's great to know people are enjoying what they're reading!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hey ho - half way through the week then.

NSD Yesterday and should be the same today. Campsite is booked for the weekend but they don't need a deposit or anything, we just pay when we pitch up.

Got a £1.25 survey on Prolific this morning which has already gone to payable - can't see me cashing anything out this week though unless this rest of this afternoon and tomorrow morning goes mad all of a sudden.

Inspired by Redo I'm really focusing on using stuff up this week - so the final bendy carrots got thrown in with loads of other veg to roast last night, and the last beetroot, some of the red cabbage and the final 2 tomatoes will make a mixed salad to go with egginess tonight. A cautious prod of the last bit of cucumber last night suggested it may be past the point of no return but we'll see. There are a couple of leeks and a courgette still needing used - one leek and the 'gette are destined for a veg-packed frittata tonight I think along with the last 'shrooms and a good handful of spinach. We'll certainly be getting our 5 a day today!

Plan for next week is to make time to audit the freezer so I can create a meal plan using stuff from it before I go shopping - I'm certain there is some mince in there, and I definitely have onions and tinned toms so I can see an overnight slow-cooked bolognese sauce being created at some point. After this weekend I'm around at home for the following few weekends so that makes it easier with food too in some ways - there's stuff in the freezer that will only get eaten on weekend days so I can start tackling that. It also however means I have no excuse not to get the houseworky stuff under control so from tonight I'll make time to slot my 15 minute bursts of activity in various rooms back in. The bedroom is a disgrace - there's barely room to sleep in there at the moment but I know a 15 minute attack on it will make a massive difference in no time at all. Also want to get back into the flylady routines of sorting out clothes for the following day, and S&S of kitchen and bathroom each day. Such a little thing but makes SUCH a difference.

Plan:
    each week:
    6 x 15 minute bursts in various areas that need it
    3 x targeted exercise - shred, a run, or something else. This is on top of usual walking etc.
    2 hours through the week working on photo projects (I have three projects on the go currently)
    4 x days of logging food and keeping to calorie limits

(The second of those is a brave move as my arms and legs are currently reminding me that I did shred last night and they did NOT enjoy it!)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I really liked the sound of TOPMs green quiche for using up some of the green veg.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I did too Redo - especially the "throw in whatever you have" nature of it! My frittata tends to follow a similar route mind you!

LOVELY dinner last night - the frittata (which used up a good amount of the spinach, the tomatoes, the courgette, mushrooms and one of the remaining leeks) plus a sort of sweet pickled salad with the remaining beetroot and a quarter of the red cabbage and a big handful of chopped coriander. There is some of that left over to use tonight too. A flatbread each for carbs and we both thoroughly enjoyed our platefuls!

Plan for tonight is the rest of the chicken and roast veg from the other night - I'll add in the remaining leek and spinach too. The last of the cabbage & beetroot salad can go with that too. The final bit of coriander can be scattered over it no doubt...anything to use it up!

Gained half a marrow from upstairs neighbour who bought a bigger one than she knew what to do with - so that goes into the plan for next week, and I might well use it with bolognese sauce on Monday night I think.

Few little bits on OnePoll this morning, and a £2 study on Prolific...oh and just picked up another short one when I went to check so that helps! Definitely feels as though it's starting to pick up on there now. the monthly payment to the 0% card goes out in the next few days too so I'll update my signature once it's gone. Also just requested £5.59 that was showing payable from TCB - that was all stuff on personal spending so that will go across to the card as well once it lands.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sometimes those use up meals are the best, and always the ones that cant be recreated.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 4,743 Posts
    • 20,637 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I want to come for dinner

It always sounds so good!
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 14th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    I did too Redo - especially the "throw in whatever you have" nature of it! My frittata tends to follow a similar route mind you!

LOVELY dinner last night - the frittata (which used up a good amount of the spinach, the tomatoes, the courgette, mushrooms and one of the remaining leeks) plus a sort of sweet pickled salad with the remaining beetroot and a quarter of the red cabbage and a big handful of chopped coriander. There is some of that left over to use tonight too. A flatbread each for carbs and we both thoroughly enjoyed our platefuls!

Plan for tonight is the rest of the chicken and roast veg from the other night - I'll add in the remaining leek and spinach too. The last of the cabbage & beetroot salad can go with that too. The final bit of coriander can be scattered over it no doubt...anything to use it up!

Gained half a marrow from upstairs neighbour who bought a bigger one than she knew what to do with - so that goes into the plan for next week, and I might well use it with bolognese sauce on Monday night I think.

Few little bits on OnePoll this morning, and a £2 study on Prolific...oh and just picked up another short one when I went to check so that helps! Definitely feels as though it's starting to pick up on there now. the monthly payment to the 0% card goes out in the next few days too so I'll update my signature once it's gone. Also just requested £5.59 that was showing payable from TCB - that was all stuff on personal spending so that will go across to the card as well once it lands.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    pa is slowly getting there again i have had 3 surveys on there today :-)

I think i might buy a laptop with my emergency fund i am at about a 25percent computer says no rate on pa lol
    Debts 16274.64
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Redo I LOVE a good "use-up" meal! Hidden - did overnight bolognese in the slow cooker the other night - inspired by your regular use of yours! Scott I only do surveys on the PC or the Laptop - I find the phone way too fiddly and just get bored!

Cracking weekend up in Norfolk - if a bit wet and muddy! Food was a mix of takeaway options, a rather tasty crab & sweetcorn chowder cooked on the camping stove on saturday night, and we treated ourselves to a nice meal somewhere we ,love for lunch yesterday. other than that it was just tickets for the event we were up there for, a bag of logs for the campfire and the diesel to and from.

Made our usual visit to Sheringham Market on saturday morning - got a bunch of beetroot for 90p and the most fabulous local corn on the cobs for 6 for £2 - 1 got used in the chowder on saturday night, two got eaten for tea last night and I will probably hack the kernels off the other three and freeze them I think. Also bought free range eggs and a big bag of Norfolk Pink potatoes from the campsite (it's on a farm!) so we're well stocked up for those for the time being too.

Planning to shop tonight I think for the basics, rough meal plan for this week looks like:
    M: Baked marrow with bolognese sauce
    T: Roast chicken potions, baked potatoes, sweetcorn
    w: Couscous salad with chicken & coleslaw
    Th: Mushroom omelettes - possibly frittata style with some cooked cubed potato added.

Planning to repeat the pickled salad effort from last week in place of coleslaw actually =- that worked really well and as I now have beetroot again...AND the remaining red cabbage needing using up...

Shopping list has been put into the planner app on my phone which - HURRAH and HALLELUIAH the designer of has FINALLY updated in the nick of time for the new Apple iOs being released - it was on the brink of becoming non-functional and I've never found another as good!

In other MSE news I called Sky on Friday morning to beat some sense into them about our TV/Phone/Broadband deal. Struck a deal for a fraction over £50 a month for all three for a period of 18 months which will do - although I was extremely miffed to then be told that I had to pay a £10 admin fee on top to allow for the package being changed. Ho hum - it's a £20 a month saving so that amount has been added to the sum that trips across into savings each month for "saved money" on bills etc. I'll need to make a diary note for 18 months time that the deal will end. I got the figures to the level I wanted anyway - similar to that which would be paid by a new customer.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 18th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Great work with Sky, EH - I've heard they can be difficult!

I love Sheringham, I was up in that neck of the woods bank holiday weekend, camping at East Runton. Lovely coastline
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017:
    Barclaycard: 14382
    HSBC Credit Card : 2932
    MBNA : 2400
    Overdraft: 350
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 18th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Hey ho - half way through the week then.

NSD Yesterday and should be the same today. Campsite is booked for the weekend but they don't need a deposit or anything, we just pay when we pitch up.

Got a £1.25 survey on Prolific this morning which has already gone to payable - can't see me cashing anything out this week though unless this rest of this afternoon and tomorrow morning goes mad all of a sudden.

Inspired by Redo I'm really focusing on using stuff up this week - so the final bendy carrots got thrown in with loads of other veg to roast last night, and the last beetroot, some of the red cabbage and the final 2 tomatoes will make a mixed salad to go with egginess tonight. A cautious prod of the last bit of cucumber last night suggested it may be past the point of no return but we'll see. There are a couple of leeks and a courgette still needing used - one leek and the 'gette are destined for a veg-packed frittata tonight I think along with the last 'shrooms and a good handful of spinach. We'll certainly be getting our 5 a day today!

Plan for next week is to make time to audit the freezer so I can create a meal plan using stuff from it before I go shopping - I'm certain there is some mince in there, and I definitely have onions and tinned toms so I can see an overnight slow-cooked bolognese sauce being created at some point. After this weekend I'm around at home for the following few weekends so that makes it easier with food too in some ways - there's stuff in the freezer that will only get eaten on weekend days so I can start tackling that. It also however means I have no excuse not to get the houseworky stuff under control so from tonight I'll make time to slot my 15 minute bursts of activity in various rooms back in. The bedroom is a disgrace - there's barely room to sleep in there at the moment but I know a 15 minute attack on it will make a massive difference in no time at all. Also want to get back into the flylady routines of sorting out clothes for the following day, and S&S of kitchen and bathroom each day. Such a little thing but makes SUCH a difference.

Plan:
    each week:
    6 x 15 minute bursts in various areas that need it
    3 x targeted exercise - shred, a run, or something else. This is on top of usual walking etc.
    2 hours through the week working on photo projects (I have three projects on the go currently)
    4 x days of logging food and keeping to calorie limits

(The second of those is a brave move as my arms and legs are currently reminding me that I did shred last night and they did NOT enjoy it!)
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Have you tried youtube for burst/short workouts

There's a guy who puts regular workouts up, if you search athlean x on youtube. I have done a few of them and there 6-8mins of intensity.

So what are you using to log cals re your diet.
    Debts 16274.64
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Great work with Sky, EH - I've heard they can be difficult!

I love Sheringham, I was up in that neck of the woods bank holiday weekend, camping at East Runton. Lovely coastline
    Originally posted by Tea&Kittens
    Ha - we were at Weybourne - it's an area I absolutely love though - we've walked the coast path right from Weybourne through to Overstrand now in sections - just gorgeous!

Have you tried youtube for burst/short workouts

There's a guy who puts regular workouts up, if you search athlean x on youtube. I have done a few of them and there 6-8mins of intensity.

So what are you using to log cals re your diet.
    Originally posted by Scott_Weiland
    Great tip on the workouts - thanks for that. Food stuff all goes into the fitbit app at the moment - that works really well for me as it's all there to see at a glance. On the workout front level 1 shred is about the most I can cope with on intensity at the moment - but I'm getting better!

Been reminded elsewhere that I need to deal with the cooking apples that were given to us by a friend and are currently sitting in the larder so that might be tonight's job. Inspired by a pudding MrEH had yesterday I'm also going to freeze the leftover scones from the pack we bought the other day and those will get used to top small dishes of the prepped stewed apple as and when I think. (The pudding concerned was a delicious apple & rhubarb cobbler and again they used sliced up scones as a topping).

MUST sort through the freezer too - although we've started coming up with a bit of a plan to use some of the random stuff that has accumulated already.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Level anything shred cripples my knees. And our ceilings are too low for star jumps without a hard hat. I'll watch and applaud from the sidelines on that one.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 4,743 Posts
    • 20,637 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I hate love the 30 day shred

I don't think it ever gets easier. Anyone who thinks it does LIES!
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Level anything shred cripples my knees. And our ceilings are too low for star jumps without a hard hat. I'll watch and applaud from the sidelines on that one.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    There are a few bits I have to modify because of knee pain issues - but I've found that works reasonably well for me. I have to watch myself on squats - if I tried to go as low as she says you're meant to I'd never get back up again!

I hate love the 30 day shred

I don't think it ever gets easier. Anyone who thinks it does LIES!
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    I think you're right Hidden - I swear there are people out there who are just saying "Oh yes, I'm fine with that now!" to make the rest of us feel bad!

I'm having the most ridiculous MSE fuelled battle with myself - I need to start sorting out my next bullet journal as the current one is nearly full. I've seen a divided project notebook in ThaT supermarkeT that will work rather better for me than the one I'm using currently (which was a £land special) - it's on sale for £2. BUT I already have a replacement £land one that I bought a while ago - so the MSE bit of me is refusing to accept that I can justify buying another one! Honestly - sometimes this place has a LOT to answer for!

Cooked the apples down last night with a handful of sultanas and another handful of dried cranberries - they only needed a single spoonful of sugar too so that was a bonus. Also remembered to freeze the scones - go me.

Dinner tonight will be as planned - the tatties will start off with a burst in the microwave and then get finished in the oven with the chicken I think. I'll cook all the chicken pieces together as we'll have them cold with the couscous salad tomorrow night anyway and I don;t want to put the oven on twice - loving being able to just use the top oven for stuff like that though - it heats up really fast!

Shopping last night - also to plan/list - My planner app in my phone is now working properly again after a long overdue update so I can start making use of that for shopping lists again - dead handy as it means I can just add stuff in as I think of it. Last night came to £26.70 and that included washing liquid and stain remover so I'm happy with that.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Just popping THIS RECIPE for spicy squash soup here - shamelessly lifted from Greying's diary!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 47,211 Posts
    • 169,610 Thanks
    beanielou
    Buy the project book
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Buy the project book
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I just did!

TCB money landed in the bank so I shuffled that to the card - meaning....drum roll if you please....I've now hammered over £500 off that! Now I just need Prolific to hurry up and get properly active again so I can get some more hammered down off it!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,817Posts Today

8,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin