Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 7,316Posts
    • 38,582Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure?
    • 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure? 28th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Well well - here we are again then, new diary as threatened promised - the previous one can be found HERE - there are others too - if I can be bothered to go find them I'll add in some links, otherwise feel free to go stalking if you should wish to!

Previous diary to the previous one mentioned above...
    ..and the previous one to that, too...

So, I've been here a while (since 2008, in fact) and can't ever imagine quite managing to leave entirely now. I've made some seriously good friends thanks to this place (Stripes, Cheery, I'm looking at you ladies!) - and for that reason alone I'll hang about like a bad smell for as long as they'll have me. A brief summary of "me" - too short to reach anything interesting, Londoner (full of resentment due to being forced out when we wanted to buy somewhere to live - damned incomers and property prices!) currently living in Essex with MrEH. The username is Essex = for where we are currently, and Hebridean = representing the fact that the long term plan is to move to the ludicrously far-flung but ridiculously beautiful islands off the west coast of Scotland. (as and when the move happens I shall be requesting a change of name to LondonHebridean so nobody even THINK about taking that one, OK?)

Started on here with a loan and a tenuous grasp on our money, plus a mortgage. Budgeting happened. Am emergency fund was built. We discovered we liked the challenge of teaching financial institutions a lesson. The loan was kicked into touch first off, and then we started the onslaught on the mortgage. Various adventures along the way including losing half my income practically overnight and a 6 year experiment with being self-employed, all good fun. We waved a cheerful goodbye to the mortgage on 30th September this year - paying it off over 12 years early and according to MrEH's clever spreadsheet saving ourselves around £35k in interest had we left it to run to term. Go us, eh?

So - this is the next chapter, really. While debt free (and that seems amazing) we want to:

a) Stay that way
    b) Build a savings pot - firstly to ensure that we can at the least put down a chunky deposit against a future "Islandy" dwelling, and secondly to assist with a lifestyle which is less work and more full when we get there.
    c) Do up our existing flat to make it into a fab place for us to live while we're still here, and a desirable rental for when we're not.
    d) Have fun. Lots of it.

There will be food, regular lunatic visitors (that's this thread, not at home, although sometimes at home too), a reluctance to wield hairbrushes, some Little Red Jets, and hopefully some laughs along the way. Want to join me for the ride? Well I'd be delighted - grab a chair!!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 31-10-2016 at 8:54 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£373.02
Page 24
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ooh great work Silver - reckon they've all been and gone before I got on there then!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Yesterday:

- Couple of Prolific Academic surveys (both credited already too!)
    - Couple of Power of Opinions surveys
    - one YouGov survey
    - Couple of small OnePoll bits.
    - NSD recorded again

Kitchen is progressing now thank goodness - the top and bottom trims are on the units, the bridging unit is in (although I think it's going to have to come out again as we don't think there's enough room for the fridge freezer underneath!) and the electrics should be happening today, with testing tomorrow. Very exciting! Probably need to start getting together a list of odds and ends that we've noticed that will need sorting - but we're holding that off for now until we're more at the "snagging" point.

Hoping I can get at least another £10 from Prolific to throw at the card this month. The standard payment goes across in a couple of days anyway so that will be another £28 off the total which will get me really close to 30% paid off!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 14th Jun 17, 11:54 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Well done on the extra little bits! They really do add up, and well done you for getting TWO surveys credited!

I must have jinxed myself yesterday because I've had nothing since I posted on here

Hope you have a good day, it's glorious sunshine here!
    Debt Totals:
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0
    £15,500 Loan from Parents / Currently £13,000
    £2,000 Overdraft
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Yep - glorious again here today again Silver - long may it last!

Still managing to pick up odds and ends on Prolific - currently got £2.67 pending and £7.30 payable on there so not far off being able to cash another £10 lump, hopefully!

Another NSD yesterday - but today probably won't be as I think I'm going to buy some fish to go with dinner tonight. we've got a nice fishmonger down the road from work and I've not tried it yet so I'll probably wander down there after work and see what they have. Remembered I'd bought sweet potatoes to do something with for tonight so I'm thinking sweet potato wedges with tuna, and the remaining oddments of salad that need using.

Kitchen: Electrics are in although not quite finished yet. Electrician not getting another penny from us until everything is sorted and finished so that should focus his mind a bit! REALLY starting to feel as though it's heading towards a conclusion now though which is great, and we're loving the way it's looking!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 17th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 1,759 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I can't wait to see the photos, do you have a date now when it should be finished?
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I can't wait to see the photos, do you have a date now when it should be finished?
    Originally posted by MistyMountainTop
    Being told this week Misty - but then we've all heard that before so I'm not holding my breath!

Hope everyone had a cheery weekend - it was SO hot down here!

My weekend mostly involved pointing the camera at aircraft as I thought it might. Scampton and then home via Coningsby on Friday to catch up with a pal. Saturday I ambled a few miles up the road to catch the Queens Birthday flypast aircraft going over and then to a local beer festival for the evening. Yesterday I made a last minute decision to head over to Weston Super Mare with some friends to the airshow there. Lovely day but really too hot to just be sitting about and even more so to be lugging a heavy bag of camera kit about!

Not TOO spendy - car got a £60 tank of diesel on Friday but I've still got some of that left. Beer fest didn't work out too pricey - we walked over - it was too hot to drink much, and then got a lift back. Spends yesterday were food and drink (and a much needed ice lolly!) as the last minute decision meant I'd not got anything to take with me. Took a 750ml bottle of water from home but it was so hot I'd gone through it by part way through the day so had to buy more.

came home with 3 more £2 coins anyway!

Must check the bank as I think the DD to the card should have gone out which will mean I can amend my signature...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Yep - now at 29."something" percent paid off.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 20th Jun 17, 12:54 PM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Morning all - no, hang on, afternoon - goodness, today's whizzing past!

BOILING hot down here again - yesterday was roasting in London and not that much better at home - managed a very sweaty 15 minute run when I got home and needed practically an entire bottle of water when I got back!

Shopped last night - £27.78 spent but that included several "stocking up" type bits to bring me up to the level to use a £4 off voucher I had. We're now well stocked for couscous, washing up liquid and washing liquid! Today is also not going to be a NSD as I finally got round to ordering the sports bra I desperately need. Along with another one. And another 2 bra's majorly reduced to bring myself to the level for free delivery... I'd guess at least one will go back, possibly more, but right now the CC is wincing under the £81 I've just spent. did go through TCB mind, although I can only hope it tracks as I had issues with the checkout procedure.*

Prolific is being good to me again - got £8.30 on there with another £7.57 pending. Got a few oddments from OnePoll this morning too but annoyingly the Populus one that came through needs sound so I can't do it until I get home.

Edit: * yep - tracked fine, and fast. Also spotted I had £7.10 payable in TCB so I've claimed that - that will go to the VSP though as it's all from joint spending.
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 20-06-2017 at 1:01 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 20th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    £11.30 just claimed from Prolific after quick confirmations on a couple of studies from earlier.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 20th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 7,418 Posts
    • 35,741 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Wow, most impressed with your Prolific Academic payouts! Excellent work

Good bra-ordering too (I suppose you'd need them if you were going to keep going like this )
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 21st Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Wow, most impressed with your Prolific Academic payouts! Excellent work

Good bra-ordering too (I suppose you'd need them if you were going to keep going like this )
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    That's pretty much exactly why I need them Cheery!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 21st Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Phew - still roasting hot down here, even going out for a walk seems like hard work!

Few more Prolific oddments this morning - balance now £1.30 with £5.97 pending.

Other than that, mostly quiet. Banking all looks fine - VSP is now over £219 for the year which is pretty good. MUST do CC money shuffle in the next few days - that's got some kitchen stuff on it so will reduce the amount that is sitting in the ISA but that's planned spending. In fact thinking about it, I can do those transfers right now as I have the figures...
    ...yep, done, and the final oddments of spending from the holiday too as those were easy to track being right at the top of the statement. Brief tot-up also suggests that we'll be in credit in the joint account again this month after the rest is done (the joint account pays the "standard" card spending so things like travel and diesel then all spending that has it's own budget gets transferred from elsewhere. Car account transfer also done, while I think about it...I'm on a roll!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 21st Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    • 3,389 Posts
    • 13,103 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Definitely on a roll! So organised

I've had enough of the heat My heads pounding

DFW £523.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £271.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £91.05 + £70 Cash + £25 Amazon
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 21st Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Definitely on a roll! So organised

I've had enough of the heat My heads pounding
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    It's boiling innit! Met Office reckons we're now at 29 degrees and it's still getting hotter!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 22nd Jun 17, 8:54 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 1,759 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    the heat would be ok if it were dry, this humidity is awful.

I was just thinking that I haven't bought a new bra in about 10 years. No wonder I'm feeling a bit saggy

You always inspire me with your plans, how much you get done, and all the lovely places you zip off too. Once you eventually move do you think you will be leaving the island very much, or will you be ready for the quiet life?
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    A cooler breeze in London today Misty but still quite sticky as it's overcast rather than sunny.

That's a really good question about the move - to an extent just being in somewhere that we love so much will probably make us less inclined to feel the need to travel around!

- Nothing from Prolific this morning, but a couple of small bits from OnePoll & Power of Opinions.
    - No sign of the TCB money or the Prolific payout having landed
    - £20 spend last night on a couple of new vest tops, new running leggings and a strappy top for exercise. Hoping the bras might arrive today but we'll see. No idea how fast the people I ordered from are on delivery.

Plans for the weekend - well not much at the moment. I'll swim tomorrow morning as usual, and we're off to a family party on Sunday afternoon, but beyond that, there's really not a great deal going on. It's MrEH's birthday next week so we will probably have an indian takeaway one day or the other.

Makes a nice change to have a quiet weekend but I still want to achieve stuff though so a bit of a list:

15 minute tidy - bedroom
    Get backlogged towels and bedding washed
    Vacuum front room and hallway
    Clean bathroom
    Meal plan for week
    Shopping list
    15 minutes looking through wardrobe to see if anything can be put away for storage (clothes that are now too big)
    15 minute tidy of front room
    SWIM!
    Walk to Al's
    Pop round and see Mum?
    Shopping (probably saturday morning)

Not impressed with the Al's S6 offers this week - almost entirely fruit and not really stuff I'd buy. Might go and grab the garlic though if it looks decent. On the other hand the mini cucumbers, spinach and sweet potato in Lil's POTW all appeal so might well head there on the way back from the pool - if they've got the Sausages that are also on offer then I'll have a look at those too - if they're good quality then I might buy.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 22nd Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Note after spotting a tasty looking recipe link on Greying's thread...

Best Cucumber Salad Ever (Please note I do NOT subscribe to the hipster Paleo/Clean Eating etc trends in the least, any more than I suspect Greying does - but I AM open to nice looking recipes that come from them!)

That might make use of the mini cucumbers from Lil's - in which case I need to track down some dill, and pop spring onions on the shopping list... this might also lead to fish going on the meal plan for early next week.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 22nd Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 3,527 Posts
    • 38,579 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    ..... (Please note I do NOT subscribe to the hipster Paleo/Clean Eating etc trends in the least, any more than I suspect Greying does ....
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Ha ha - I'm growing me beard as I type, dear heart!!!!!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Jun 17, 7:02 PM
    • 7,418 Posts
    • 35,741 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Er, you know those close that are too big...

[whispers] charity shop...

Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 22nd Jun 17, 11:07 PM
    • 7,316 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Er, you know those close that are too big...

[whispers] charity shop...

Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Ummm...no, not this time. If my health condition deteriorates and stops me exercising, I have to bear in mind that there is a good chance I'd put weight on again, so I'm intending to hang onto them in the top of the wardrobe for the time being in case. In fairness most of them are either passed on from other people, from charity shops in the first place, or absolutely YEARS old!

I know all the theories about getting rid of the too big stuff "so you're not tempted to go back to that size" but if I DO go back there it will most definitely not be through choice, so the last thing I'll want to have to do is go through the torture of clothes shopping as well!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,102Posts Today

9,136Users online

Martin's Twitter