Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,934Posts
    • 43,553Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 94
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 5th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 12,474 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Definitely that time of year GP!

No energy here as well - I mange to crawl into work in the morning and then crawl home afterwards, with an 8 hour block of attempting to get something meaningful done!

Soooooooo tired - all the time!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • amber03
    • By amber03 5th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 4,716 Thanks
    amber03
    Think the weather doesn't help, miserable and gloomy. If we had the odd decent day where it's blue skies it picks me up, just feel like staying in my pj's and watching tv eating rubbish food.xx
    Debtfree and and staying that way.
    £1000 Emergency fund No.112 £310
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,071 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope today was a good day.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 8th Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 45,246 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Hope all is as well as it can be, Greying. Here the sky is the most glorious blue. Normally I would be out on the trike, but the wind is evil. My lovely neighbour just brought my bin into the garden for me. Bless him.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,071 Thanks
    beanielou
    Very cold here.
    Hope that you are keeping cosy.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Dec 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,553 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Thanks for keeping the thread warm lovely peeps I don't feel I've much to add at present. We're bobbling along happily, for the most part healthily, and sometimes with moments of lucid wisdom........

I am guilty of not recording my spends in December - as the end of November - which is remiss of me, and would have provided a record of 1 year of spending. Yes, i'm foolish, but it's gone beyond recovery now, so I'll press on. In some ways, I've changed enough that it is 'easier' to stick within budget (or only go over slightly), but the discipline of writing it down does make a difference and I am kicking myself for not maintaining it.

I've been keeping out of mischief by taking any spare moment to do some crafting. Most of it currently is Christmas related, although I promise I'm not making any 'lime green with tangerine highlights' jumpers, hats nor scarves for anyone........ As much as anything, I am enjoying learning new techniques or using new materials - keeps the brain sharp! Some of my money has been spent getting bits and bobs, but it's like most things hobby related, the initial outlay seems 'big' but when you split it across a number of projects....... But I am also using bits from my material and yarn stash too - swings and roundabouts......

I am getting slightly concerned about the cost of heating the house. Tariffs aside for one moment; our house is in the 'hard to heat' housing stock category. Fitting DG throughout (over the course of some years) has helped, but not absolutely 'transformed' things, as the heat still escapes through the walls. Although our loft is insulated to the max. We're not at the stage of deciding between 'heat or eat', and i'm not for one moment trying to imply that we are. I take responsibility for prioritising heating over other expenditure, as we've a baby to keep warm. Although if BG would wriggle less and keep their bedclothes about them of a night, it would help matters, enormously! Still, it's an expense that varies from winter to winter, so lets hope that we're not in for a long cold spell, like in 2010.

I'm disappointed that h3r0n f00ds have dispensed with their 2 for £1 frozen veg bags. Whilst the weight of the bags didn't always make them the absolute 'best value for money to the penny option', it was convenient to get them from there. In fairness, h3ron have increased the pack sizes of some of the veg, so it is a little bit 'swings and roundabouts'. Perhaps it is just our branch, but I find less 'bargains' there, these days

I have made the lasagne 'filling' and put it in the freezer for our Chrimbob eve lasagne with baked tattie. I took advantage of some courgettes on special offer in mrA (75p for 3 - a week later, I saw some YS'd down to...... 85p!!!!), the aubergine in the mrL PotW, and some mushrooms that were either PotW or S6 - can't recall now. Now all i need to do is dig out the oven instruction manual, so that I can put it on the timer to cook, whilst I let my christmas begin, listening to the 9 lessons & carols

I'm organised - but in a disorganised way - for Christmas. I'm rather glad that we don't do the trekking around family for meet ups (listening to R2 on Friday nights, hearing the epic travels folks are undertaking makes me shudder ), and I'm definitely glad that we ditched the 'feast' many, many years ago. Curry all the way for the Greying household I just need to get my act together with packing presents that we have got for BG and sorting out the last few bits and bobs. Like finish making their stocking to put stuff in

Right, I best go and make my meal plan for the week. Use up and storecupboard are the key ingredients - everything else will be (hidden under) gravy!!!!

Ta for popping in and wishing us well. It is appreciated. Greatly.

Greying XX
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 10th Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    • 905 Posts
    • 4,603 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    With regards to BG is he too old for the sleeping bags , my 2 DGC have had them , keeps them warm even when wriggling .

Have a good day .
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,553 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Cumbria lass - BG had a sleeping bag last year, it was one that we were given s/h. It worked perfectly fine until BG worked out how to use zips, and then they were apt to half wriggle out of it. I am paranoid that they would end up garotting themselves somehow, as the bag was fixed to one bit of them (shoulders) but their legs and torso became free.

They don't half move alot during the night.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Dec 17, 1:40 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,553 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Well, I'm pleased to report that I have actually done something that is a nod towards money-saving Having finally got around to fitting the door curtain Although it's on a new-ish (external) door, it does seem to have made a difference immediately (wishful thinking on Greying's part??).

We've just had soup for cups, in a bowl for us lunch They were 3 boxes (of 3 sachets) for £1 in h3r0n, which was only a saving of something like tuppence from the HB price, but at least h3r0n had the tomato version in stock, our nearest HB doesn't. I put a pinch of dried basil in and a spoonful of yoghurt to ring the changes a bit. Cheap and cheerful, with a bit of bread & marg.

I need to pay the CC bill today. Must get onto that soonest.

Right, best toddle orf and do summat else. The Christmas cards are beckoning.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 10th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 4,603 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Clever BG working out the zip , we have been lucky with DGC they have not done that. I understand your issue , safety first. They do move about though, I agree .
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,071 Thanks
    beanielou
    I think sadly that there are less & less bargains about.Full stop.
    Or maybe just too many people chasing them.

• stoozie1
    • By stoozie1 10th Dec 17, 4:43 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    stoozie1
    Hello. Thank you for an amazing inspiring diary.

I am just delurking to say that I have 4 small sons and when each of them learnt to undo the zip on the sleeping bags, we gained an extra year by turning the sleeping bag inside out. It seemed to make the zip sufficiently inaccessible.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 10th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Superman was amazing at climbing out of his clothes and grobags all the time, we found fleece onsies to be amazing, we would put him in a longsleeve vest, baby grow then a fleece onsie on top. if he managed to wriggle out of his blankets he was still nice and warm!
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Dec 17, 5:12 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,553 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Beanie - I think it is a bit of both, indeed. I hardly even bother glancing at YS'd stuff these days - if it is in m&$ it is only reduced to what you'd pay in the discounters anyway.

stoozie1 - thank you That's a good idea I've been put off buying a grobag/sleep bag, but if i happen across a fair-priced one, I may well take a pun, turn it inside out and see if I can gain the upper hand on BG

mary hinge - another great idea. Thank you. I'll take a better look at what is available.

Am I the only one sniggering that we adults are having to put our heads together to not be outsmarted by toddlers.......

Tea tonight is going to be cardboard box fish, oven chips and mushy peas. I fancy something quick and easy.

I paid the CC bill, so that is in time to not incur interest. Especially since I've only bought 'thought out' purchases with it.

I've not done my meal plan. I think I will do that now before starting tea.

Again, thank you for commenting on the thread and for the ideas. Very, very much appreciated, indeed.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 45,246 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    About forty years ago, onesies for little ones were called 'walk-in sleepers' and had wipe-clean plastic on the feet. DD definitely had them, and I think DS did.
    They were marvellous, as the fleece kept little bodies warm when blankets were cast aside, and the feet bit stayed clean.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 10th Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Am I the only one sniggering that we adults are having to put our heads together to not be outsmarted by toddlers.......
    Wait until it comes to putting nappies on the wrong way to prevent waking up to a surprise

We have had to do some hilarious things with youngest to keep her 'wires' safe. Even now at 3 she has socks on her hands 90% of the day
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,553 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Ah ha! mcculloch - you made me think - BG has some onesies (not fleece) that are currently too long for them to wear safely to walk about in, but asleep, they should be OK. I dug them out and warmed them up and they are wearing them now. Hope it keeps them warmer over night

WannabeFree - just when I thought I was getting the upper hand..... Nappies on the wrong way round - I shall remember where I read it first!

Tea has been scoffed. Whilst it is not high-end tucker, I think I appreciate it all the more for its simplicity and ease. I really enjoyed it

Today i am grateful for;

advice freely given

making progress with a craft project

the resources to make our home a little warme
    r

Ta for dropping by and chatting. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying XX
    'Ich habe genug'

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Dec 17, 8:55 AM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,071 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good week GP & friends.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 11th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,553 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Thanks for the good wishes to start off the week

I've been busy with little bits and bobs associated with a life well-lived Most of which would bore the pants off your average Joe & Josephine, but it suits me I've kept out of mischief, not really spent much money and not harmed man, woman nor beast, so...................

Tea last night was spicy root vegetable and lentil casserole. The parsnips, swede and carrots were gifted, so it was the perfect 'use up', frugal meal. It made plenty to scoff and there is a large portion for one or two small portions left over in the freezer. I didn't bother with the naan nor yoghurt, but it was sufficient as it was.

Tea this evening was going to be 'scrat-around-minestrone', but DH was back home late and I lost my prep-time, so it morphed into baked tattie, baked beans (mrL) and scrambled egg. Actually very nice and totally filling, so no complaints.

I've made progress on the crafting front and now feel on course to finish what I need to in the time available. I'm a little behind with my Christmas cards, but I'm going to tackle those again tonight. I will also put the finished ones out where I can fall over them, in an attempt to remind myself to take them to the postbox!

Baby Greying remains a delight, and has slept well in their toasty toes attire I'm finding it fascinating what they pick up 'very quickly' and what words (or should I say sounds?) they use for different things - often by association rather than the actual noun. Really interesting.

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

a centrally heated house

sufficient food in the cupboard

the satisfaction of a project completed to the best of my ability
    - tain't perfect, but I gave it my best shot, and I'm grateful to have had the time for that

Ta for dropping in and reading. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,540Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter