Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,936Posts
    • 43,554Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 93
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    • 49,045 Posts
    • 182,088 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a lovely time & made lovely memories.
    Priceless.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 30th Nov 17, 1:19 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 12,476 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Welcome back GP - so happy to hear you had a lovely time adventurizing!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 30th Nov 17, 1:29 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 2,911 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sounds like an amazing time creating memories that will last a lifetime.

Glad you had an amazing time x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Nov 17, 2:46 PM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 43,554 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Hello lovelies

Thank you for your kind words

Can't believe we are at the end of November already

Tea last night was pasta and pesto. Lunch today was the remaining 3 packets of tomato cup soups, all made together and served in bowls With what was left of the bread, with a sprinkle of cheese on top - flashed under the grill and made into 'sorta' toasties. Quick, cheerful, tasty and surprisingly warming - just what was needed, as the north wind is blowing into every nook & cranny round these here parts

i've not thought of tonight's tea yet. It'll be a cobble. a) because I've given it no thought, b) because it is the end of the month and c) because I need to use things up/make space in the freezer.

We've done the money shuffle today, so there should be the wherewithall to pay the bills for December. Anything above that is gravy, and I know it.

DH has made good progress with some more DIY, although I'm sure you all know how long it 'seems' to take to do anything when you are doing it yourself. But he's trying his best, and doing a 'proper job' so

I've been dragging myself into the 21st century and have ordered stuff online Trying ever so hard not to tut, when the computer tells me click and collect could take up to 7 days................................. I suppose I ought to be grateful that the items were in stock at all. Anything practical or sensible seems to have been snapped up already. Can you tell I'm not conversant with this 'consumerism' mularkey...... The good thing about this stuff is that a grandparental has offered to pay for some of it, and if we're lucky, they may decide to pay for a bit more of it, as the sale was on............

I took a couple of pics to get prints from j3$$op$. I asked advice on printing out the one, and the assistant just did two taps of the screen and got me exactly what I wanted - I love it when folks in retail really know their stuff They will be low cost gifts for Cmas for family members

So, a little bit of money spent today, but the majority of it thoughtfully and on 'needed' things. With a tiny proportion on frippery But then we're happy eating cup soup and bread crusts somedays, and don't require lobster thermidor on a regular basis , so you choose your paths where you can

Right, can't think of owt else money related. We are just plugging along, trying to make progress and doing our best - hope you are too And I hope you are all doing it in balmy sunshine too!

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying XX
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Nov 17, 4:17 PM
    • 49,045 Posts
    • 182,088 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sunshine
    Blooming baltic here.Brrrr.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 1st Dec 17, 9:20 AM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 43,554 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

beanie - if it's cold where I am, then I heartily concur that it must be baltic with you - brrrrr indeed!

Right, 1st December and the (el cheapo) advent calender is being opened by DH and BG Whilst I'm wanting to celebrate/acknowledge Advent, going forward, I would wish it to be less about the chocolate, and more about giving or doing, but am treating this year as the first - of many! - learning curves. We are doing some 'giving' and 'doing' this year, it's just not been incorporated into the 89p cheap choc advent calender from HB! Still, it is one of the traditions DH is keen to start up - that and a Christmas Stocking for BG - so I want to make sure that we start the traditions at least. And I still have 24 days to construct the stocking outta summat!!

Tea last night was a true buddha bowl - use ups and bitsa! I cooked up some brown rice (stores) mixed in cooked brown lentils (freezer) and topped with steamed carrots (fridge) and sauted the reamaining bruussel sprouts. Topped those with the barginacious cold-ron falafel I got from h3r0n f00ds and dribbled a lemon yoghurt dressing over the top which used half of a sulky lemon. Boom. Tea Stuff used up and all round inexpensive meal produced with no leftovers

We're hurtling back to normality and should be having pizza - probably black olive - with dirty tattie wedges for tea tonight. I will probably need to open bag 2 of the dirty tatties can't believe we've munched our way through the best part of 25kg of tatties already - and BG is definitely no fan of the tubers so it must be down to DH and me! still, as long as this bag lasts until at least Christmas, I'll be happy. £7 well spent all told.

Right, best get on. BG was up in the night, so I lost some sleep, and most definitely am not firing on all 4 cylinders.......... But, no moaning, we're alive and well and blessed, and for that I remain grateful. Very grateful indeed.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 2nd Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 12,476 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...We're hurtling back to normality and should be having pizza - probably black olive - with dirty tattie wedges for tea tonight...
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    There is something to be said for normality!

We had our standard Friday nights leftovers, nuked to the right temperature sitting in front of the telly under a fluffy blanket!

Isn't it just that? - the habits/normality that lead to traditions??? Am loving the thought of little BG discovering the joys of the advent calendar & Christmas stocking!

Off now to do the weekly wrestling of finances and ponder if we are robbing Peter, Andrew, James, John, Philip, Thaddeus, Bartholomew, Thomas or Matthew to pay Paul! who knew that staying debt free is just as much work as getting there in the first place?!?
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 973 Posts
    • 6,419 Thanks
    carolbee
    Greying, my granddaughters have a note in their calendar every day, ie put the tree up, write cards etc, but there is a lot of giving too, buying a gift for the charity box in the supermarket (they live overseas), have a family dinner with grandparents etc. This years also involves, when we arrive, Grandad fixing the head back on the log reindeer, we wondered why it said first aid when our DiL sent us the list!

I’m sure you will find your way, you sound such great parents
    Carolbee
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 3rd Dec 17, 5:33 PM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 43,554 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon

There is something to be said for normality! Sister, there is ALOT to be said for normality

Isn't it just that? - the habits/normality that lead to traditions??? Am loving the thought of little BG discovering the joys of the advent calendar & Christmas stocking! Yes, I believe you are right, and we need to take advantage of the fact that we have quite a bit of freedom to determine which traditions we follow, and which we ditch/don't entertain

Off now to do the weekly wrestling of finances and ponder if we are robbing Peter, Andrew, James, John, Philip, Thaddeus, Bartholomew, Thomas or Matthew to pay Paul! who knew that staying debt free is just as much work as getting there in the first place?!? - I hear you, I hear you - hard work indeed
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Greying, my granddaughters have a note in their calendar every day, ie put the tree up, write cards etc, but there is a lot of giving too, buying a gift for the charity box in the supermarket (they live overseas), have a family dinner with grandparents etc. This years also involves, when we arrive, Grandad fixing the head back on the log reindeer, we wondered why it said first aid when our DiL sent us the list!

I’m sure you will find your way, you sound such great parents
    Originally posted by carolbee
    carolbee - it is posts like this ^ that restore my faith that we can 'craft' the life - or indeed Christmas - that we would like. And I mustn't underestimate what BG will demand as 'tradition' as they get older - I bet it is the 'little things' or 'simple stuff', rather than anything flash or expensive - or perhaps that is mummy's fanciful wishing..........

Phew! Why did none of y'all warn me Christmas is exhausting...... and we're only 3 days in to December....................

Anyhoo, we've been 'doing' and 'giving' and have already established what we we probably 'keep' and what we will ditch going forward.

We went to a 'thing' yesterday. Kinda out of duty. It was something that a community group that we participate in was involved in, so we felt honour bound to support. We'd hardly stepped in the door and 'admission' and 'raffle ticket' (singular !) snatched £3 for our purses. We said hi to other people from the group we're in - most other folks ignored us....... Then we felt we'd like a tea and cake........ £2 for a lukewarm coffee and a piece of cake, which was, i kid you not, about 2 inches square........... £7 for less than an hours 'entertainment'........ ho hum. That's on the 'ditch' list for next year.

Then on to today, and our 'much anticipated' event to support the FB. Volunteers had done a sterling job, making the setting look very, very pretty indeed. We turned up, BG took one look at santa, and............... screamed the place down.......... We had to hand over our donation, and beat a hasty retreat However, there were plenty of other things to do and see, and BG was all smiles within seconds... I certainly will be happy to do this activity again, because whether or not BG learns to like Santa, I enjoyed planning and putting together our donation and would like to make it a tradition for us as a family, for as long as FB's are needed (hopefully not very long). There was certainly, certainly more Christmas spirit floating about today than there was yesterday - very, very telling, in fact.

Tea last night was curry - using some frozen BNS, a tin of chickpeas and some tomato sauce and rogan josh paste (HM from JO's recipe), served with dhal and rice. Tea tonight will be cardboard box fish, oven chips and mushy peas. Some hargen darrs icecreams (3 for £1) may also have fallen into my basket when I was in h3ron f00ds, so a nice sweet treat for afters

On the way back from our day out today, we called in at the nearby market town. A spiffing nu chum had tipped me orf about a new book shop that had opened, so as DH and BG elected to stay in the car I took advantage of having the freedom to scope it out. Gosh, you know when you're in a shop and it just.......... transports you somewhere - I dunno, Narnia? It was exquisite - I could have set up me tee-pee in the children's section and lived there for 365 days. Bliss. I managed to escape before spending a mortgage size amount of money; just coming away with a couple of things that were quirky and unusual and will provide 'thoughtful' little gifts for a couple of 'old' chums

I forgot to say, I have finally discovered one thing that I regret giving away to charity - in the 4 years+ that we've been seriously decluttering. I regret giving away my wool winder It was part of the equipment I had with my knitting machine (bought secondhand over 30yrs ago for £50), and I whilst I was happy to donate the machine to charity, I did um & ar about the winder, but decided to let it go. This was about 6 weeks before i found out I was pregnant with BG. I finally relented and bought a 'new' one. I don't know what I am more p1$$ed off about - having to spend £20 on something that i did own anyway, or about the paucity of quality in my 'new' winder. Ho hum.... *mutters mutters* .... 'things ain't what they used to be'..... *mutters mutters*................

Right, well, 'us tea' won't cook itself. So I best head orf. But we've had a lovely time - making memories and being together as a family. We've seen some lovely sights; people have worked very hard to make places and spaces reflect the seasonal spirit and for that I'm grateful Ironically, mother nature came into her own too - delightful fir and holly trees have engaged us - along with cornus - and countless friendly robins, and somewhat stand-offish, but none the less beguiling, singular fieldfares and donkeys have entranced us too

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 3rd Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 5,149 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Love a good book shop

I have found quite a few around the country that, I swear, the owners could well be members of a secret guild or society as their shops are very similar in their seemingly chaotic layout and esoteric contents...
    SirTP was definitely onto something when he wrote about L-Space and how libraries and bookshops were/are interconnected across the multi-verse... One of these days I will meet an Orangutan in one these shops and exchange a friendly "Ook!"
    Thank you for sharing, I really do enjoy popping round to visit your diary
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 3rd Dec 17, 7:28 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 2,911 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Another who loves popping in your diary.

It always makes me feel 'happier' x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 4th Dec 17, 5:53 AM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 43,554 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Uncanny - this bookshop was def. on the sleek and stylish side of things, rather than the slightly dusty, slightly chaotic, little bit magical and olde worlde book shoppe emporium model. However, I believe that it still held the mystery ingredients of 'anticipation', 'revelation' and 'exploration' that a good independent bookshop seems to hold in spades

to WannabeFree

So, little sleep again. Back to normal. Huzzah. Not

I've got to do my meal plan for this week. I'm trying to stay on the side of 'using up' and 'making do' and 'knitting nourishment out of nothing' as much to marshall my pennies and resources well, as to not peak twirly with any stodge-fest associated with the big 'day'. Because it is only a day, not a grazing season. And one thing that has become quite, quite clear this year is that health and fitness are a massive part of me (and DH) being able to be good parents to BG - and I'm not nearly fit enough to keep up. This must change, and what I shove in my gob and how much I move on a daily basis are paramount in importance. it's time to step up to the plate and get motivated. I have the reason, now I just need the mojo.

I'm meeting up with a chum today for a coffee and a chat. Which i'm really looking forward to

As well as my meal plan, I have got to sort out my accounts for December. It's the 4th and I've recorded precisely nowt of what I've spent!

I've also taken my eye off the ball and landed up with a library fine Made sure DH's book was returned and forgot my own

Right, can't think of owt else MS to witter on about - and as I am clearly not very good at this MSaving lark anyway, I hope you're not listening to a word I write!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Dec 17, 8:39 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 5,149 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning

Yes, I've been in a few of those kind of bookshops too and your right, it seems they take the nice bits of the modern "sleek n stylish" shops and yet retain the all important elements of the older style shops...

Have a grand day today
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 4th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 2,911 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Dec 17, 12:25 PM
    • 49,045 Posts
    • 182,088 Thanks
    beanielou
    Step up to the plate was one of my lovely dad's sayings.
    A nice reminder

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 5th Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 43,554 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

How are we all? The Greying household is well; DH battling on manfully with the worst case of flu the common cold snuffles ever known to man or beast......... BG is hale and hearty and I'm fine, apart from I have zero, and I mean zero energy. I had something like 10 hours sleep last night (went to bed early) and still woke up exhausted

Meet up with my chum went spiffingly They are such a lovely person and so much fun. They are also kind and came equipped with a christmas card for the Greying clan and a pressie for BG! I never thought about a card........... Head full of cotton wool

Tea last night was l/o afghan carrot hotpot out of the freezer, with rice and green beans. I could only just manage to 'heat things up' by yesterday evening, so lethargic

Tea today should be some sort of soup. But due to an unexpected diversion yesterday afternoon, when I got back from seeing my chum, I've not yet sorted out my meal plan. I have to say, I felt a little bit 'squeezed' yesterday, between care for a small and concern for an incident with aged parentals..... best get used to it I suppose, as it isn't going to change much in the short-term. Anyhoo, all sorted now, and actually everything was fine, just people unknowingly out of communication range for too long.

I've some banking for BG to do today, and a couple of things to pick up from the high street. I'll be looking forward to a bit of fresh air too - wake me up a bit!

Can't think of owt else MS related. So best get shifting-a-tail-feather and sort me self oot!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 12,254 Posts
    • 216,281 Thanks
    greenbee
    I have zero, and I mean zero energy. I had something like 10 hours sleep last night (went to bed early) and still woke up exhausted
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    It's either the time of year or something going round. I'm the same. Not just tired. Exhausted. I can barely move.

I was shattered yesterday and had 6 hours sleep last night which is nearly double my normal quota and I'm struggling today but can't stay in bed all day as the builders are here (making great progress) and I need to get things done round them.

Here's hoping we all recover soon and are full of energy
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 5th Dec 17, 10:30 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 5,149 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Definitely a combination of the time of year and something going around, I think.
    Everyone I know is saying same thing just now...

Hoping the fresh air helps clear things.

Have a lovely day GP
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 10:55 AM
    • 49,045 Posts
    • 182,088 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, something going round.
    WEek 4 for me and only just starting to feel slightly more human.
    Could sleep for Scotland though

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 10:56 AM
    • 49,045 Posts
    • 182,088 Thanks
    beanielou
    & thanks for the soup reminder as my maw gave me some yesterday.
    Shall have for lunch.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,207Posts Today

6,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin