Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,945Posts
    • 43,665Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 92
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 22nd Nov 17, 6:34 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 43,665 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

BG slept through the night and is still currently snoring <--- I'd like to say that those are DH and me, but we're both a bit weary still.......LOL

Lots of itty bitty chores on the agenda today. Definitely need to get out and about for some fresh air and exercise too. Weather dependent, that one though

I'm pretty sure it is parsnip risotto on the meal plan for tonight. Utilising the last HUGE gifted parsnip. Gotta hammer those expenses down and make every penny squeak! We will need some staples today, but DH can be in charge of getting those - and nowt else - from mrL.

I forgot to say, I was in HB yesterday in the 'food' bit and there was a corned beef tin 'key' on the floor. I do hope that it got reunited with the tin it came off - just in case someone hadn't a spare. Do people keep them? Is it easy to unravel (without cutting yourself to shreds) the tin strip from the key once you've opened the tin? There was a 'key' in our cutlery drawer 'at home' when I was growing up - we rarely, if ever, had corned beef, but I remember the key. I still can't fathom mrL's logic on not supplying a key at all with their tins of corned beef. Can't fathom it at all.

Right, best get a tail feather shifting. Time waits for no MSE'r!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 22nd Nov 17, 8:06 AM
    • 897 Posts
    • 5,226 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Have a lovely day GP and hoping that BG is on the mend now
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 22nd Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 4,605 Posts
    • 45,286 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I've just 'rejoined' after an absence, good to find you going on well, Greying.
    I remember the Snot City days well..
    I just wondered if you had ever tried Jack Monroe's Spinach and Lentil Daal. In my pursuit of 'at least one vegan meal a week', I have, and oh gosh, it was good.
    I added garlic, thinking I'd seen it in the ingredients, and I hadn't, I think it improved things.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 22nd Nov 17, 4:20 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,628 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Oh now I like the sound of that recipe! Might even give that a try tomorrow as I've definitely got some spinach lurking and needing used, and no solid idea for tea yet tomorrow!

Glad top hear that BG is on the mend Greying - hopefully you & DH can get a bit more rest tonight as a result.

I don't have a corned beef tin key but also remember there always being one in the drawer when I was little. It's not anything we tend to have much now - although I do like it. I'll occasionally buy a couple of slices for sarnies but wouldn't buy a tin.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 22nd Nov 17, 4:32 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I panic checked and my mrL tin has a key so tonight's planned corned beef hash a la Delia will go ahead. You can, in theory, use a tin opener to take the bottom and top off and then push the meat out if you haven't got a key. I would end up in hospital if I tried!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 22nd Nov 17, 4:34 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    WannabeFree - ay up lovely The downside of virtual nosh is i can't serve it to anyone! Wish we had a caf, that y'all could come to and sit at the table, when you needed someone else to just take the food prep reins for a bit, for whatever reason Stick with us hun, stick with us

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Ahh if only we could

I haven't made so much as a slice of toast for over a week It's too much effort just for myself Amazing for the diet though

Glad BG slept better last night, hopefully means the snuffles are leaving Greying house.

Hope you and Mr Greying get to catch up on sleep too x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 22nd Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 43,665 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

UncannyScot - I did have a lovely day, hope you did too

mcculloch - ay up lovely, great to see you *back* did you see my cheese bargains from h3ron? Got some cold-ron falafel for 49p too - although I think they may have changed the recipe, so they are not so nice. But for 49p....... Dhal is the best! I find i often add garlic to a dish whether it is specified or not - we like it I'm sure I've done that with JM's dishes too. Perhaps she left it out coz it wasn't in the budget?

EH - I'm hopeful we're on a roll, I needed my sleep last night and I could do with some more tonight - plus little BG can't keep going without downtime either - they're a baby, not a durace11 bunny!

redo - which brand did you get from mrL - it was their 'Newgate' tins that I saw - I was expecting 'manor house' but it was the same brand as their beans were before they got re-branded to 'simply', 'Newgate' tins - not a key to be seen, which I thought odd.

WannabeFree - easier said than done, I KNOW, but if possible get yourself something nourishing - stick a few beans on that toast or a scrambled egg. Look after y'self hun, we're with you.

Right, spit spot day. Got some chores done. Went for a walk, but wished I hadn't as I witnessed the closest 'near miss' bet. a car and pedestrian I have ever seen. Entirely the pedestrian's fault and I still don't know how they weren't knocked flat. Horrific, keep seeing it in my mind, and BG was facing forward so would have *seen* anything too, had it happened..........

Walk achieved exercise, a breath of fresh air (well, you'd be hard pressed not to have a breath of ultra-fresh air today!), and a nice pootle at the teeny play space up the rec. All good

Achieved another little craft project that defeated me last year. Made sure I had the right materials this year (always helpful) and I think my skill-set is improving, so it 'kinda' worked this year.

Tea this evening was parsnip risotto I was determined to utilise that parsnip! Mind as you can imagine, whilst it was huge, by the time you had cut out the woody bits, there wasn't that much. But I made Maria Elia's recipe, and cooked/pureed the parsnip with milk, garlic, onion bayleaf (removed) salt and pepper (not butter, as I had none) and then made up a 'naked' risotto and blended the parsnip puree in at the end. Topped it with some sauted parsnip pieces and that was that. Didn't even add the marcapone nor parmesan that the recipe has. Didn't need it, it is so unctuous as it is

Today I am grateful for these three things;

that BG didn't witness a tragedy

getting out for a walk

accomplishing a project whilst learning new skills - (thank you internet )

Ta for popping in and chatting. Appreciated, greatly.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Nov 17, 9:41 PM
    • 7,847 Posts
    • 37,937 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Gosh Greying, that sounds frightening Very glad nothing came of it. Must have been a shock for all concerned

Mmmmm, parsnip risotto Daal

Glad you have learned new skills Love the internet

Thought of you this morning when a friend said her young child had kept her up half the night with 'unspecified wailing' Hope both you and she get a better sleep tonight!
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 23rd Nov 17, 6:40 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 43,665 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

This getting up before the larks mularkey is starting to pall. Wish i could kick the habit! Still, I've got mucho done. Breakfast made for all, snap made, emails responded to, print-offs made, blogs read etc etc.

I haven't dared log on to see what's occurin' in the cricket........

Cheery - I have zero idea how the accident didn't happen. It was like a CGI scene out of a movie, where the baddie is evading the cop by running across a 7 lane highway in rush-hour. Except this was at a much slower speed, and without the chase urgency - for absolutely no apparent reason. What on earth the driver must have thought, and what the emotional damage to them would have been done, had a collision occured, just doesn't bear thinking about.....

And 'unspecified wailing' - love it. That is exactly what we have. You'd have thought a limb had been lost at the very least, and yet there is no apparent cause, stimulus nor reason!

So, few bits and bobs needed today and some chores up the high street. I've prepped a list for DH and I'll sort the rest.

Tea this evening will be the 'filling only' veggie version of bobotie (so lentils in spiced gravy) dribbled all over a massive baked tattie with accompanying veg - I'm currently thinking shredded sprouts and carrots.

Right, best get on and do a bit more.

Ta for reading and popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 23rd Nov 17, 3:47 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I checked and mine was a Newgate tin of corned beef. Will make sure I check they have keys when I replace it.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 24th Nov 17, 6:48 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 43,665 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Ah, bliss & joy. I am a woman in receipt of something like 9 hrs sleep The whole, entire household slept soundly through the night

Tea last night was 'bobotie' over a HUGE baked tattie. I cut mine in half and saved some for lunch today. DH's was the size of a small child's head! i did sauted shredded sprouts and grated carrot (with nigella seed & cumin) as accompaniment. Lush and stuffing!

i don't think I'm going to be able to make the food budget last until the end of the month It was probably asking too much anyway, but it was right to try. My mission now is to keep spends as low as possible. We've a budgetted trip away for a few days. I've saved money where i can with that, and will try to keep spends in check whilst having fun and making memories. Spending will be from the 'leisure' fund for the most part - although meals will be the principal expense.

I'm very grateful that we've this opportunity to pop orf and go adventurising together.

Over and out for a little while. See y'all soon.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 24th Nov 17, 7:50 AM
    • 897 Posts
    • 5,226 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning GP
    Have a lovely day and enjoy your wee break away
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 24th Nov 17, 8:30 AM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 12,499 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Have a lovely time GP!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 24th Nov 17, 8:38 AM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 13,262 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Enjoy your time away together. Hope the sun shines on you!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 24th Nov 17, 8:58 AM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 26,882 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Is it worth checking the voucher type sites for local deals relating to your destination?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 8/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 49,084 Posts
    • 182,299 Thanks
    beanielou
    Making memories are worth more than anything money can buy.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 24th Nov 17, 12:05 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Making memories are worth more than anything money can buy.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Definitely!

Have a lovely time x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 27th Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,628 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hope it was a lovely weekend Greying!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 29th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you had a lovely time away x
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 29th Nov 17, 9:08 PM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 43,665 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Ay ay ay! Is time running away, or what?

Thank you for all your good wishes for our weekend jaunt. We enjoyed ourselves, and were back on Monday - it's just been full on since, and this is the first time that I've had to post. We weren't terribly lucky with the weather, it did stop us exploring a market town (which actually had a market going on) on the first day, as there was little point in getting soaked (in cold, cold rain), when we're all only just starting to recover from these pesky colds. Had it been just DH and me, we would have braved the weather, but having a small brings a different perspective to matters.

We stayed in a cheap and cheerful prem-e-air inn, which was fine for what we had to pay Food wise, we pretty much got by on what I'd taken with us/bought sandwiches and pasta pot each. It certainly cost way less than sit down meals would have cost us, anyway. And we didn't go hungry, lack variety nor fail to get our fruit and fibre intake I think the biggest revelation - and I know that you're all going to laugh at me, roll your eyes and exclaim, Greying how could you not know that! - call yourself a mser! () was that 'cup a soups' work well in a thermos flask, enabling them to be made up in the morning and used as a warming lunch. I can't believe I have never done it before! I've taken soup on a picnic before, but always HM. But the sachets that I got from HB worked so well on day 2, that I bought some more from mrAl and used them on day 3. Souper!

We enjoyed our trip, made memories together and I got lots of nice piccies Including one taken by a NT volunteer of us as a family - which even in this day and age of 'selfies' is a rarity, as I am a personage of very short armage

We got to see snow - luckily from a distance - drove through a quick hailstorm and plenty of rain. But for the most part it was either cloudy or sunny (but cold), so wrapped up, with warm food and restorative hot chocolate (also 'instant'), we faired well.

I splashed out a £1 for a HG butternut squash from a roadside stall. That was worth it, but alot of the produce we saw was dearer than mrAl's and mrL's and was of much poorer quality, so I did not purchase it. Our 25kg sacks of dirty wiljas at home looked positively barginacious, in comparison with those on our travels (maris piper) that were upwards of £10 a bag I also dropped lucky with some winter wear for BG - I'd missed the promotion in mrL and only managed to get the last one in BG's size here in Greying Town. Luckily, on popping in to a mrL on our 'hols' i dropped on any number of the same item in BG's size, so bought a couple more

All in all, I'm happy with my spends. It wasn't a super cheap break - the fuel costs alone matched the accomodation, but it was somewhere I have wanted to visit for a long time, and if we never go back, I've got my memories of a super time.

My newly-found depository for FB donations is proving to be unreliable. The box was nowhere in sight today, so I think I will have to go back to the drawing board with that one. It doesn't affect the donation (tinned meat etc) that we will be making over the festive period, as that is for a different FB and the collection is a firm commitment, so the items will reach their intended destination.

I know that I have busted the food budget for November, and even with 'paying' myself back for the C'mas FB spends, I've still gone over. But not by alot (not yet totted up) so it's been an 'ok' month for spending. And I think slightly unusual, so it shouldn't be repeated. From December, I will be setting up a C'mas budget to save for 2018. I'm not sure we will ever be the types to go overboard with our Cmas spending, as we don't and won't do alot of things that other people do, so we've no need to spend - and having BG is not going to change our stance on those particular expenditures that we choose not to make. But there will be somethings that we want to spend on and whilst presents will never be numerous, they are bound to add up to an expense that we formerly didn't have. So I best get saving pronto!

Right, I'm a bit worn out, so I'm going to finish up.

I remain grateful that we had and took the opportunity to have a little jaunt 'away'.

I am grateful for meeting up with one of my super (newish) chums yesterday, getting listened to, treated to lunch and made to LOL - alot

I am grateful for the kind comments expressed to us - predominantly about BG - over the past couple of days, so nice of people to care enough to say something.

Ta for popping in - y'all know I appreciate you to the moon & back

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,199Users online

Martin's Twitter