Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,830Posts
    • 42,293Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 81
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,432 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Stick with it, come back when you're ready - and I agree that you don't *only* have to write about MSE type stuff.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,293 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Slow start here at the towers. But at least we've spent no money

I've been knocked back for my ccp (ppi) claim. The bank reckon i was a 'good fit' for needing protection insurance. Because I haven't got my employment contract from 17+ years ago (was never issued with one - it was the public sector) they claim that my sickness pay wasn't sufficient. Is anyone on a contract now that would pay full pay for the first year you were off sick, falling to half pay for the following 6months or a year (can't precisely remember, but it was 6 mths min), and then after that you had to go and see the Occ. Health officer, and future pay was negotiable. I also haven't got bank statements/savings books from 17+ years ago, so I can't say if I had 1p in savings, £1k or........

Fed up of battling bureaucracy.

We've been keeping spending in check. We popped off for a little ovenight stop at the beginning of the week. It incorporated a visit to an NT place we wanted to see, and we took in the gardens of another by default. We had our own picnic stuff on day one, and bought a weddersp00ns brekkie on day 2 and some sangers. Would you believe b00ts worked out cheaper than gr33gs for butties? Still too ££ mind for what they were. Our o/night stop was in a trav-lodge. Cheap and cheerful and with onsite parking as it was just outside the tourist honeypot town.

Teas have been simple. We had black olive pizza and dirty tattie wedges last night. It'll be curried 'summat' tonight. And I've fish, chips and mushy peas set up for tomorrow.

Right, daylight is burning. Best get to doing summat, other than messaging folk on WA!

Ta for popping in and for your continued support. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,132 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had a good break.

Take the PPI to the http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,293 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Glad that you had a good break.

Take the PPI to the http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
    Originally posted by beanielou

Sorry, beanie love, I should have responded to your valuable suggestion on brizzie's thread. Yes, Ombudsman is the way to go. It's just I'm up to my oxters in fighting bureaucracy in RL elsewhere at the moment, and I've quite frankly, had enough. It would have just been nice to have had the one example of ppi that I got lumbered with, rather than selected, pay back what I had to pay over the years. I will doubtless, eventually, follow your suggested course of action. But for the now................

Greying XX
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 14th Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    • 7,700 Posts
    • 37,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw Greying lass, you sound glum Have a hug ((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))) I quite understand about sometimes it just being one battle too many. My sister had good reason to fight a university over having a leave a course she loved, but just didn't have the energy because she was fighting the school/education authority over support for her child and just couldn't do both at the same time Life shouldn't have to be a fight all the time!

Glad you got away though and had a nice time Building jolly memories with Baby Greying xx
    Saved for house move: £15,149.07
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,293 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Thank you Cheery.

I'm saddened at your sister's situation. But know exactly the dilemma she faced.

I'm going to be the first to say that there are more, many more people in this world that are facing truly horrible situations on a minute-by-minute basis, that make my 'first world' problems look like the 'nowt but gnat-bite in the greater scheme of things' that they are. But I think we all have our saturation point. And mine has been reached. For now.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 14th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 7,700 Posts
    • 37,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    No need to think of your probpems as smaller ones just cos other people have bigger ones lass. You're right about saturation points. Sometimes things are just Too Much. I hope you're getting plenty of real life support with what's going on. Big hugs to all of you and as always, if there's anythig we can help with please just shout xxx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,132 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes. We all as individuals have a saturation point.
    It doesent matter about others as they are all different.
    Dont mean that the way it probably reads.
    Keep plodding & take care xx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 23,065 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Echo the others.

Make sure you look after yourself, I'm sure BG will be providing lots of smiles and hugs x
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Oct 17, 8:26 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,293 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Sunday again - gosh, time flies.

Not too sure what is on the agenda today. But BG has been up and raring to greet the day since before 6am, so........

At least we're breakfasted and fully awake, so it has it's up side

I could do with constructing a meal plan. I've yet another busy week ahead - like buses these busy weeks! But I wouldn't swap it for the world, so just need to get organised

I'm up to date with my spending diary, and we're not doing too bad, considering we're almost half way through the month and have had extra 'leisure' spending. We're doing alright

Tea last night was lentil dhal (out the freezer), carrot korma and basmati rice. Actually quite a pleasing plate of curry. I remain sad that BG hasn't really embraced curry as a foodstuff. Especially as I didn't have to alter what I ate when i was pregnant, so they got exposed to all the spices and flavourings that I use now Ah well, we'll keep plugging.

Tea this evening will be fish, oven chips and mushy peas, unless we do absolutely nothing with the day and I feel shamed into preparing a 15 course Mongolian-inspired feast to justify taking up space and oxygen on planet earth.......... Best get planning summat constructive, quick!

Can't think of owt else MS, so best vamoose.

Ta for popping in reading and commenting. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 16th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,293 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

We ended up popping over to the local natty trusty place yesterday. It was just the ticket. We took some sandwiches and fruit (no cake as it had been eaten ) and a flask. It's a popular spot and the car park is always heaving, but we dropped lucky and found a spot nearish to the entrance. We waded through the crowds and headed out to our favourite spot in the garden. It was quiet, *our* seat was clean, dry and vacant, and the weather was clement We had a wonderful time and brought home a selection of windfall apples for a financial donation to the 'garden upkeep fund'.

Tea last night was fish, oven chips and mushy peas. The fish was OK (mrT) but was only cheaper than the y0ungz ones I normally buy from h3r0n, because it was on special offer. However, it was nice, and we shall enjoy the remaining fillets from the freezer. The own brand (mrT again) oven chips weren't so good - too many itty bitty bits that cooked too quickly in comparison to the rest of the chips, so I'll use up what remains, but not buy them again. Mushy peas were mrL's and were up to their usual standard - will continue to buy them

Tea tonight will be the remainder of the filo/chickpea pie that I made a few weeks ago, with baked tatties and veg. I've already remembered to remove the pie from the freezer to de-frost - go me!

I've sorted some of my meal plan - must finish it off just now.

I'll be trying to get out and about today - if only for a breath of fresh air, but the sky is currently a very funny colour and the sun looks like something out of a sci-fi movie, so perhaps wisest to not venture far from home.

De-cluttering is still going on. Albeit at a much reduced pace. This is partly because there are increasingly less things to clutter, and partly because some of the things are bulky/dirty (outside) or 50,00 other things need to occur before we can get rid of that particular item....... *sigh* However, the direction is forward, even if at glacial pace.......

Right, can't think of anything else MS to report on, so best get along and do summat constructive.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 12,096 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Morning GP!

Nothing worse than icky frozen fries... My OH is in love with potatoes in any form but especially the "chips" with everything variety! We must have gone through every variety going with no joy - they seem to be so inconsistent & one time will turn out well & the next just horrid!

Have you given homemade 'frozen' chips any thought? Linkie here or here...

BTW glacial creep can be a very powerful force - enough to move mountains...eventually...
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,132 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that you have a good week.

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 16th Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,293 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Ay up rtandon - I was only thinking the other day that I'd not seen you in a while - hope you are well Mmm, I may well have a go at those HM oven chips. Because it is only the 'convenience' and most certainly not the flavour that keeps me using them. The h3ron ones are about the best (affordable) ones that I have found, but they aren't super-dooper. And remember, Fortune Smiles moved a mountain one pebble at a time! So it can be done, it can be done

beanie - thanks love, take care and you have yourself a good week too

I can legitimately claim a NSD today first one in a while.

There was nothing that was vitally important that was needed and I'd rather that both DH and I were at home safe, rather than risking life & limb just to pick up a carton of milk or a 50p loaf.......

We did venture out of the house for a potter and a pootle and a breath of fresh air. It was lovely and sunny, weirdly warm and blowing like billy-oh. Strange.

Tea was as slated. We had green beans as our veg. I had meant to do some carrots too, but I got ahead, only to fall behind when BG decided that they would only eat a bit of their tea. I wracked my brains as to what to do, and spent time on that. Turns out it had possibly just got a little too cool to be palatable - warmed slightly, it got lapped up....... who knew?

There is little of yesterday's apple crumble left, and I know that DH will declutter the dish for me

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

a walk in the sunshine

the safe arrival 'home' of several travellers today

that BG hasn't gone orf HM food

Ta for popping in and for giving me things to ponder about. Appreciated

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Oct 17, 8:31 PM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,132 Thanks
    beanielou
    Apple crumble

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 16th Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 26,032 Thanks
    in need of direction
    fight ya for it
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Oct 17, 9:47 PM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,132 Thanks
    beanielou
    fight ya for it
    Originally posted by in need of direction

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Oct 17, 6:48 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,293 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Hope you are all safe and well.

I have no idea what the weather did here overnight - a quick peek out of the window appears to show all ship-shape - as I've just completed 9 and a half hours sleep Boy, did I need it.

I did notice that the moon was looking quite, quite spiffing though

I see is talking about auto-enrolement pensions. What happens if the employer in question keeps on changing pension-provider? Surely each time you 'start' a pension, the majority of the early year contributions are swallowed up in fees? At least 3 different companies in 5 yrs can't be good.........[hands on experience]

beanie and INOD - would it help if I told y'all that it was made with windfall heritage apples and was lush???? I made custard to go with on Sunday night, but Dh had yoghurt with the last of it last night. No? that doesn't help?..........

We shall be getting out and about (hopefully) today. I have some BG banking to do. I need to order some picture prints - guess of who and there are one or two bits and pieces to pick up ie bread and the TV mag.

Tea this evening is going to be soup. I'm trying a new to me recipe that involves pumpkin. I haven't got very high hopes of it tbh. I've gone off pumpkin - I still like BNS - but have the one that we got for free from the harvest festival display, so I need to use it constructively.

Can't think of owt else MS, so I'm outta here.

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 17-10-2017 at 6:50 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    • 7,700 Posts
    • 37,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    So glad you had a good sleep Greying! Makes the world seem a better place doesn't it?

Very windy here - we sleep right up in the roof under a sky light and Mr Cheery ended up sleeping lower down the house as the wind was so noisy up here no idea of there's any damage as I confess I haven't yet made it out of bed...

Had an odd tea last night - was going to make a kind of bolognaise ish sauce with soya chunks and have it over pasta, but then Mr cheery discovered we still had potato wedges in the freezer and I got all over excited but had already started the sauce - which did NOT go well with the potato wedges... sadly I made enough for lunch today so I have to eat the weird concoction all over again! fortunately I was onpy cooking for myself...

Hope you have a cheery day and don't get blown away...
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 17th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 12,096 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ... any chance that melting cheese over the concoction would make it better?
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,993Posts Today

6,456Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin