Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,833Posts
    • 42,298Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 79
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 29th Sep 17, 11:26 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 13,086 Thanks
    Verbatim
    How's it going GP? I hope all is well at Greying Towers. Have a lovely weekend.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 42,298 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon,

Hope it's not raining with you - regrettably it is with us We have already got soaked

However, we have also had a spiffy lunch We pushed the boat out a little, for a low-key celebration (no, I'm not...), and bought lunch at a new take-away place in Greying Town. All I can say is, I'm glad they are only open for 'lunch'. It'd be too tempting otherwise Enough food for the 3 of us for less than £12. That's pretty good going, especially since I was telling DH that coffee and cake for me and a chum - my treat - at a 'hip' place several months ago had set me back over £12.......... The food was the type of stuff I like to eat, and I could have made it myself, but sometimes we all need a 'day off', and I enjoyed the treat (DH paid), and it was nice to get 'good' veggie food for once.

Tea tonight is going to be cardboard box fish and oven chips with mushy peas, as now I'm in the CBA'd frame of mind, I'm taking full advantage...... No complaints from DH as there will be less washing up overall.

We were going to go out today, adventurising. But the blessed weather put paid to that

I need to tot-up my accounts. I think I'm pretty much out of budget - maybe slightly over for September, although there are some 'bulk purchases' to take into consideration - I got toothpaste from W1lks today - I usually don't bother, because they've gone expensive, but I noticed that they were having a clear out of various types of toothpaste. For between 18p and 22p a tube, so I got 5 in total. The other thing to take into consideration with the food budget is my (tiny) £2 contribution of food to the foodbank. I'm hopeful that I can make a small weekly donation, rather than try to do something bigger at the end of each month. We'll have to see how that works out. We currently have lots of food in, and have been given a shed-load of fresh produce. I was in the right place at the right time the other day to get harvest festival display 'rejects'. It's interesting how folk aren't bothered about using fresh produce..... I felt greedy accepting what I did - but the alternative was the bin, or at best the compost heap And of course, the FB can't take this kind of thing

The heating is on It's slightly too damp without it And now we've clothes/coats to dry out

Today I am already grateful for these 3 things;

being treated to lunch - even if we did eat it at home

bumping into friends old and new
    - a kind word always gives a lift

DH working so hard for us, and wanting us to enjoy family time together

Ta for popping in and reading. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 30th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 23,099 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    We have the wet weather too

Nothing worse than wet! Cold we can wrap up, even snow is better than rain!

Sound's like a lovely day all round x
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 42,298 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Thanks Hiddenidentity - I'm really pleased that I can find pleasure in the 'simple' things. OK, so £12 is alot of money, but you can pay that and still be hungry, or the food be inedible, so.....

What I came back to say was that I forgot that, whilst in mrT t'other day, I spotted that they had magg1 brand 'powdered coconut', on special offer for £2.79 - a reduction of a £1. The offer is on until the end of October. It was in our 'world foods' section of the shop. Our mrT is a big 'un. I don't know if all branches stock it. But I do recall that several of you use it - I know Pippi has it in her storecupboard. I haven't had it since AF were all but 'giving' it away a few years ago. Them were the days Anyhoo, hope that helps someone

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 30th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Sat reading your diary eating cardboard fish, chips and mushy peas! I have been batch cooking so couldn't be bothered either !
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 42,298 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Sat reading your diary eating cardboard fish, chips and mushy peas! I have been batch cooking so couldn't be bothered either !
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass

Ha ha, must be the weather for it, or summat Listening to R2, with LizaT, and thankfully, no-one seems to be conjuring up a tibetan-style, 15-course feast - in their campervan - this evening, so not even being made to feel guilty

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 30th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 7,701 Posts
    • 37,461 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    you lot Sorry you didn't get your planned day out Greying, but I am pleased you had a tasty lunch Wr ended up at the seaside of all things (we are about as far from the sea as it is possible to get in England I think, which isn't really *that* far in the grand scheme of things I suppose )

Anyway I made some spring rolls to take for a picnic so we only had a cup of tea each, shared a biscuit, and bought some sweets for the way home

I popped in to tell you I found a new product which has just allowed me to create (near enough) our favourite takeaway dish at home, in less time than it takes for delivery (and given the delivery record is nine minutes from ordering, that's pretty quick!)

Sorry, waffling Deep fried tofu never seen it before, found it in new international supermarket for £1.45 for 150g (half of which just made enough for both of us). It doesn't look like tofu, more like bits of sponge but it's got that lovely chewy texture the takeaway stuff has that you never normally get with tofu. I just fried up onions and peppers, and then threw this in and heated it with a sachet of black bean sauce (don't normally do cook i sauces but this was replacing a takeaway after all...).

Excellent substitute, and in total I'd say less than £2.50 for the pair of us (compared to £12 for a takeaway)
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 1st Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 42,298 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

OK, Cheery, deep-fried tofu - this is something I know nothing of. What cuisine is it from, Chinese? I'm assuming that the international supermarket is in Cheery city - rather than where you went for your day trip? You seem to have a much better range of shops than I have access to But I applaud the saving absolutely spiffing

We're having a slow start at the towers for once We've had a cooked brekkie - only scrambled eggs on toast with beans. I should have been more adventurous, but only knew we were going to have a lie-in by late last night. Blessed weather spoiling things

A load of washing is on the go. More damp to hang around the house

I still haven't got around to totalling up the last of the September receipts into my spending book. Must do that, as it has paid dividends in helping me to see where the money goes.

I need to shuffle stuff around in the freezer and see how much room I have, and contemplate a bit of batch cooking. It's a hectic patch for the next few weeks, and I think I'll do myself a favour if I have some 'grab' meals available. Either that, or I need to get a bus pass to Cheery city and impinge on Cheery's hospitalityto get made delicious teas with interesting ingredients

Right, best get to it and do constructive things with the day. It's miserable currently, but I'm not sure how it's set to go as the day progresses. Definitely will try to get out for a breath of fresh air if we can - and if we can find a dry coat to wear

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 1st Oct 17, 8:50 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Raining here Greying as well. Off to collect DGS so hope for a dry spot for him to use up all the energy he has.
    Deep fried tofu never seen it in Cumbria land .

More batch cooking today as defrosted freezer yesterday so have lots of room . Vegetable gluten free lasagne me thinks for today's evening meal.
    Keep posting your recipes , veggie friend coming for dinner next week .

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 1st Oct 17, 8:56 AM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 42,298 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    According to Clare Balding on R2, it is 'Grandparent's Day' today. So Happy Grandparent Day Cumbria Lass. I hope you both have fun together

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 1st Oct 17, 9:37 AM
    • 7,701 Posts
    • 37,461 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning

You're right, the supermarket is (fortunately for us) in Cheery City rather than the small seaside town we went to for our day trip

This is the stuff:

https://omnivorescookbook.com/pantry/deep-fried-tofu

The Chinese version I think - tastes just like what we get from the Chinese takeaway. I like the idea of it being called 'tofu bubbles' It's pretty cheap and extremely light so if you ever did feel comfortable giving away your address to a weirdo off the internet, I'd be quite happy to send you some to experiment with

(and you'd be more than welcome to visit but I couldn't promise interesting teas - mostly I just eat toast and branflakes )
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 1st Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 46,823 Thanks
    apple muncher
    May I ask a dhal question, greying. I made red lentil dhal last night and it was yummy (1 cup red lentils, 1 tin toms, 1 tin coco milk, 2 cups stock, onion, garlic and a gazillion spices) but runnier than I'd expected. Now, I realise that an awful lot of liquid went in to the mix so cutting that back would make it drier. I guess I just thought dhal was drier. Am I wrong?

Ps dd is away on brownie weekend, so a great opportunity for a lie in. Nope. My body woke at 6.38. Sigh!
    NST Organise October #10; NSD 12/20; Ex 6/20; craft 6/31 (212); remove 514
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3320/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 1st Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 42,298 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Interesting question apple - and as I'm no expert on the cuisine of india, I'm not sure.

However, when I see programmes on TV - whether they are cookery programmes on location, or travel programmes visiting Asia, I am often surprised at how 'runny' dhal can be - when eaten with a chappati to 'scoop' it up. And of course, 'what is dhal?' there are many, many recipes - I know I had a book from the library a couple of years ago that was 'just' dal/dhal recipes.

So, I think that if it is yummy, I would care not if it was runny. Because I think that you could easily make a dhal using different ingredients - ie split yellow peas or massor dhal and it would be 'denser' iyswim. I actually usually try hard to have my (red) lentil dhal runny, if I'm having it with a dense curry - you know, like a chickpea or red kidney bean - or aloo gobi, something like that. So that the textures between the rice/curry and dhal are different. But that's just me. And of course (as you know) lentils thicken on either cooling or with longer cooking, so any leftovers are rarely the consistency of the original.

So, no, you're not wrong. Your dhal. Your rules.

But if anyone is an expert on indian cuisine and has a definite take on this, then please shout up. I've no intention to mislead.

I hope brownie camp has gone well - and the weather has been kind. I expect DD has had a ball - hope so, anyway

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,149 Thanks
    beanielou
    Raining & cold here
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 1st Oct 17, 2:25 PM
    • 12,156 Posts
    • 215,409 Thanks
    greenbee
    if you ever did feel comfortable giving away your address to a weirdo off the internet, I'd be quite happy to send you some to experiment with
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    if you feel comfortable PMing your address to another wierdo off the internet, I've just discovered a HUGE pile of kids underwear in different ages. All unused. Don't need it anymore as the kids don't stay as often now they're at school (and I haven't had any visiting kids needing spare pants for a while...)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 1st Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 42,298 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Thanks to all the 'weirdos' offering nice things I shall give your kind offers some thought. But know at the moment I am not going to be around in the right places to give their receipt due justice. But the fact that you even offered means the world.

How kind are the vast majority of MSE'rs, eh?

Drama of the day was BG's favourite soft toy getting dunked in soup at lunchtime. Cue a mad rush to get it washed and dry in time for bed this evening...... impossible, but they are not going to sleep without it, so it has had to be handed over, I hope it's dry enough, it feels dry.........DH is on the norty step for letting it be anywhere near soup in the first place......

I almost made it a nsd, but m1llets was quiet, and I need (desparately) some new trousers - so I bought a pair. At least I remembered the NT 10% discount, so got them a bit cheaper. Pity that as per usual the brand has changed both the cut of the trousers and their material make up. What was wrong with cotton trousers, that came up higher than your hips? Or has my b u m sagged so much that it drags everything orf my hips???

Tea was mushroom barley casserole which used up the last of the mushrooms, some bendy carrots and a big piece of gifted parsnip. We had baked potatoes to accompany so that I could legitimately make apple crumble with some gifted apples. The tatties were the big bag dirty spuds, which taste divine 'oven cooked' (after microwaving), and the crumble was delish. No added sugar to the apples, and they taste real apple-y. So lucky with our gifts

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

for kindly offers of help

getting out and about - albeit just for a walk in the vicinity of Greying Town

interesting documentaries on radio & TV
    - seem to have caught quite a few of late

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 2nd Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,435 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Had to laugh at your trouser thing Greying - as someone who is short-bodied high waisted trousers are my absolute nemesis - not only do they mean that yes, my b-u-m does indeed "look big in this" but they also fit uncomfortably close to my ribcage - so a lower cut all the way for me! My last pair of walking trousers originated from Go Outdoors - Craghoppers ones (I do like their trousers!) but are now too big I found when I put them on for a walk on Saturday morning, so that will be another sum to be spent at some stage - certainly before we next head to the Hebrides.

Apple crumble though - Mmmmmm. We had cheats cobblers again yesterday - using leftover scones sliced onto the top. Does work very well that, and of course t'oven had been on anyway for the roasties so it was just a matter of leaving it on and dropping the temperature a bit....
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 2nd Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Reading all these foody posts about apples and crumbles and cobblers is making me rather hungry!

We did baked apples yesterday, which I love, though we've not had for a long time. Lovely wintery cooking!
    I've got honey roast veg risotto on the menu for this week which just tastes like autumn on a plate!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 2nd Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Honey roast veg risotto sounds wonderful !

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 3rd Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 42,298 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

EH - gosh, isn't it strange about clothing - C'hoppers is one brand of trouser that I have never been able to get on with. They don't seem to fit anywhere on me - and end up being too high waisted! My previous p3t3r St0rm's weren't particularly high waisted. But they seem to have raised the cr0tch area somehow. Mind, if I wasn't carrying exta weight, which I still haven't been able to shift , maybe I could have got the size 10 and they were a better fit But there is no point in buying the smaller size hoping that I shift the weight - they would have been uncomfortable to wear whilst i was waiting for the weight to 'magically' shift

Tea&kittens - honey roast veg risotto definitely sounds autumnal - I'd better lay off the honey though, as otherwise I ain't never gonna fit in any trousers

I was out and about yesterday, so I managed to pick up my FB donation for this week, as I was near to a mrS. We had pizza outta the freezer and pasta for tea as I was pressed for time. DH finished off the apple crumble.

Tea tonight will be the sweetcorn soup from the Fern Verrow cookbook (scroll down to the 11th September for ingredients), using some gifted sweetcorn.

Need to get a few bits and bobs from the High Street. Sort out paying the cc bill and start planning and organising for things that are coming up.

Oh, I am officially slapping my wrists for being a numpty. In fact, I'm disbarring myself from MSE, due to utter, utter incompetence. Dare I own up to the fact that I let....... £15 worth, yes, you read that right, £15 worth of mrT's soddin c/c vouchers expire.....I am so hopping mad at meself We 'save' them to pay the breakdown cover. And we didn't have enough last year But I missed to check when they all expired, and the promotion has been changed by mrT now anyway!!!! Nobody's fault but my own. But oh, I am so mad with myself. This will be the last time we use vouchers for the cover - in future I'm just going to use them as they come along. We don't spend enough in mrT's anymore to make worthwhile savings on other things bought with c/c vouchers. And they are more trouble than they are worth.

Right, I've owned up, but feel annoyed all over again now So I'd better go and do something constructive - rigorous dusting or something!

Ta for popping in, Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

936Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Friday Twitter poll: Fruit wars. If, for some bizarre reason, u had to give up 3 of these for life (in every form), what'd you keep?

• I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Follow Martin