Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,781Posts
    • 41,635Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 76
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    • 47,214 Posts
    • 169,641 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hi Uncanny Scot~~Do you get the warm home discount from your energy supplier? If not, look into to it & see if you can apply. I think it is around £140 you get credited to your account
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,689 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Beanielou
    I will have a look but I'm not sure if it would be applicable for me...
    I don't have an account... as such...
    I'm with Scottish (British) Gas for both Gas n Leccy and with the Pre-Pay meters I have a plastic key thingy for the Leccy and a swipe card thingy for the Gas. Each month I top these up with the amounts allocated from my budget. I basically pay for what I am going to use up front, IYKWIM so I'm not sure how a discount would work...
    Going to have a nosey on their website n see if there is owt there...
    Sorry for hi-jacking your thread GP
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 47,214 Posts
    • 169,641 Thanks
    beanielou
    Uncanny Scot~~ I think they just credit it to your electric account.
    Worth a shot I think.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 16th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 41,635 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Thanks for all the help and advice with regard to the smart meters. I'm happy to wait this one out

greenbee - I'd of loved to pass the car seat on, but had no-one to do that for

UncannyScot - you carry on love. Who knows, beanie may have found some help for you - I hope so.

It's totally maddening, but we've had the heating on twice already this month, and it's set to cut in automatically tonight too. DH and I could manage, but we want it to be warm enough for BG. And yes, both DH and I grew up in unheated homes, and survived. And no, we don't have the heating on and sit around in only our underpants, we dress practically. But we use modern technology to help as well.

I think we've achieved a nsd today

Tea this evening was as slated, and meets strict criteria I made Sri Lankan Runner Bean curry, with lentil dhal out of the freezer and steamed basmati rice which was from the storecupboard. It is a nice curry, and I like it's 'light' but fresh taste. It cost very little to make too, becasue the beans were free. I think the biggest cost is a 1/3rd of a can of coconut milk, which is about 23p. I enjoy making curries that would be difficult to source in Greying Town, maybe not impossible, but certainly difficult. Makes it seem a bit more special somehow.

We ate it whilst watching episode 1 of the new 'Strike' drama on tape. Mmmm, had to look away at some bits. Gruesome. Not too sure it's as interesting as the 1st series, but will follow it. I presume that the books are better - they usually are over any adaptation for the screen.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

a sense of humour

help and advice - freely given

DH's hard work

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Sep 17, 7:22 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 41,635 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Well, we did put the heating on to thermostat controlled last night, but you could of knocked me down with a feather when DH asked to turn off the radiator in our bedroom, complaining that it had made him too hot when it was on the other night DH is a perpetually cold fish! Ah well, it kept BG's room at a constant temp, so it works to use the heating like that

Everyone slept like a log, so we're all bright-eyed and bushy tailed this morn

We've got to pop across to the nearby market town, I've noticed that our preferred chazzer now has their shop open on Sundays, and we've some things to take across. Not alot, but things that are taking up space, so the sooner they vacate, the sooner they can raise a bit of cash and we've even more room to move around in at the Towers We also need a few bits and bobs, and can get them in all the shops there - with free parking thrown in to boot, so

Tea this evening will probably be the 'chickpea loaf' that I made last week from the Economy Gastronomy recipe. I cut it in half and popped it in the freezer, so I'll get one portion out now to defrost and pair it with some baked potatoes, probably some green french beans (gifted), carrots and anything else that needs using up - cherry tomatoes? I could probably do with a little sauce/gravy too, mmmm I'll also try to make a cake to make best use of the oven. Haven't made one in a while, but will need to get more eggs.

Right, best get to it. Need to gather the chazzer collection into one place, put a brush through my hair, finish my coffee, that sorta thing.....

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 47,214 Posts
    • 169,641 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you had a good Sunday

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th Sep 17, 7:18 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 41,635 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

We did thank you beanie

We dropped the stuff off at the chazzer. I was a little suprised (and yet not...) that the person running the joint looked bored (they'd not long opened), and was firmly planted at the till - despite the fact no one was actually purchasing anything, there were X number of bags that had been deposited overnight at the door to be brought into the shop (although I appreciate that they might have a policy to only pick them up with rubber gloves or something........), there were people donating left, right and centre who didn't even get a thank you...... although the upside of that is that they weren't pestered about g/aid either, so....... Unlike that shop though. They are usually on the ball helping or at least say 'thanks'. Ah well, lets hope our donations raise cash for the workers of the charity. They do a splendid job

I cooked some gifted beetroot - delish And our tea turned out well. We had the 'Spicy everyday chickpea loaf' - mmmm, think I was right about the coriander leaf, parsley or basil would have been better. I teamed it with a baked potato, gifted french beans, carrot batons, pugilese beetroot salad (made with 3 of the 4 cooked beetroot) and a cherry tomato salsa. Not sure I'll rush to make the chickpea loaf again. Not saying I'll never make it, but won't rush. There is another piece still in the freezer.

Tea this evening will be lentil salad and an omlette.

Can't think of owt else so best shift-a-tail-feather outta here.

Ta for popping in.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th Sep 17, 7:27 AM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 20,646 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Sounds like a lovely weekend. Have a lovely day x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 18th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 14,825 Posts
    • 97,180 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Havea great day thanks for the share my fave beetroot salad is cooked and cooled with some soft sweet blue cheese (st agur or similar) and rhubarb if you have any lurking in the freezer with or without walnuts - its just delish. Linkie here.

Have a good one GP and chums.

Bit autumnal out there.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£520, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/£2400
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: 30/8 £4820 PAID off £735.40
    :
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 41,635 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Well, today has been pretty spiffing

I was pondering the lack of absolutely bargainacious bargains to be had in h3r0n f00ds just lately. I was going to have a moan to our dear friend mcculloch, to see if it was just our branch, or a symptom of belt-tightening all round. Anyhoo, mcculloch hasn't been on and around MSE much, lately so I've no one to chat to about it But lo and behold, I wandered into HF today, and what did I spy? inn0c3nt fruit smoothies, THESE to be precise, for 39p each, bbe Sept 17...... oof, I'll try me summar that thank you Especially as they were 750ml bottles and retail for £3 at a certain delivery arm of a supermercado with princely connections

I've had an email from a lovely friend, who makes me laugh and think in equal measure

I made the tea I intended. It was a bit cold by the time we ate, but that was no real problem. I made a veggie version of Chorizo, chickpea, lentils and greens (just omitted the sausage and used smoked and ordinary paprika instead), made a carrot and orange salad from my Arto Der Haroutunian book (no link, sorry), steamed some runner beans (last of the gifted ) and teamed it all with an omlette. Delish. The lentil dish is a keeper - I used spinach instead of chard leaves. I got it from a mindfulness cookbook...... but it is originally from R1verf0rd, so that's why I've chosen their link. It was a relatively low cost dish - I suppose the oranges were probably the most luxurious ingredient, but I like that salad, it adds such a fresh 'pop' to your tea that it's worth pushing the boat out occasionally

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

an understanding and supportive DH

my friends
    - they may be few, but they are brilliant, each and every one

new recipes that prove winners
    - not that I'm short of recipes, mind.....

Ta for popping by, reading and supporting me. It is appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 47,214 Posts
    • 169,641 Thanks
    beanielou
    What an amzing bargain on the smoothies.

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 19th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 41,635 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Bits and bobs of admin to do today, and some further sorting and shuffling *stuff* about.

I need a couple of things from up the high street, so we'll go and stretch our legs up there in a bit.

Tea this evening is Spicy sweet potato & butternut squash soup, which is orginially from the c0vent gard3n s0up co recipe book. The book long since went to a chazzer, but this is one of the few recipes that I kept. The sweet potatoes are from HB (cheaper than mrAl ), the BNS was from mrL, I have a spare 25p tin of chickpeas kicking about, doing nowt (and plenty of dried chickpeas in the cupboard if it came to it), so I figured this was the soup to make.

Right, best get to it and make a start.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 19th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 25,616 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Does the flavour of the chickpeas come through? I'm trying to up my veg intake via soup but I'm not a big fan of chickpeas.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 19th Sep 17, 10:18 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 41,635 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Does the flavour of the chickpeas come through? I'm trying to up my veg intake via soup but I'm not a big fan of chickpeas.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Not really INOD - I tend to blitz my version anyway, and the lime and spice seem to dominate - which is OK by me

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 19th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 41,635 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Just had news that we've lost a cousin to that barsteward *big c*.

For such an indiscrimnate disease, why does it always take the *good* ones?

Bl00dy disease.

x
    'Ich habe genug'

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,229 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Sorry to hear your news Greying.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£504.92 (29/08/17)
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 19th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 20,646 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Sorry to hear your news Greying.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    From me too x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 19th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 41,635 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Thank you.

It's just so bl00dy unfair. They fought so hard for so long. They won twice, but at the third time of knocking, I don't think they had anything left to call upon.

There are children who've lost a mother, a husband has lost his wife, a family that has lost it's shining light.

Bl00dy unfair.

X
    'Ich habe genug'

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 47,214 Posts
    • 169,641 Thanks
    beanielou
    It is so bloody ufair.
    Thinking of you & yours.

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 19th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 6,301 Posts
    • 45,878 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Oh greying - so sorry to hear the news. Hugs x
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 9; Ex 7; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin