Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,910Posts
    • 43,222Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 74
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Sep 17, 7:07 AM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 43,222 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Tea last night defaulted to 'easy' and was fish, chips and mushy peas. I appreciate it's convenience, and now that we have 'proper' tatties on a Friday night, it isn't so 'samey' iyswim. I made a crumble with the YS'd plums. They went from being a purpley/green colour, to the most delicious neonesque pink on being cooked DH embraced 'new man-ness' and 'embraced his gob' around such pinkness... and declared it, 'delish' They did taste nice - you knew you were eating plum We had the last scrapings of the iced-cream with it. Unless I have no choice, I think I'll avoid buying that product from mrL in future, there is little joy in eating it

muddywhitechicken was talking about flavourings and the colour of Ungava gin on her thread. I do think it so amazing the flavourings and colours that things from the natural world impart - especially when they change on being heated, or dried, or steeped etc. We are catching up with a 3 part series that I think was broadcast last year - I think it's a BBC thing, about the 'Wild West' (of America). The plant and animal life is fascinating. I didn't know that there was such a thing as aa 'acorn woodpecker', that stores acorns in the bark of the tree for winter food. And the meadows of the high mountains - it was like a scene out of 'lark rise to candleford' - so many flowers and interesting grasses. The meat from the cattle that graze on that pasture in the summer months, must, by default taste amazing (they drink meltwater from the snow on the high peaks too). Added to which, they drive the cattle up, to and from the pasture over a 3 day period - imagine the workout the muscles are getting.

I'm going to attempt to make something 'interesting' for tea. Probably fool-hardy on a 'school' night. So if we end up with beans on toast, you know things went wrong........

There is dried washing to put away again - and not so dry, sulky washing to coax into vaguely dryness.......

May achieve a nsd today, but will definitely be going out to get a breath of fresh air. I should take a library book back really, it's due tomorrow. I'll aim to do that

Right, best shuffle orf and greet the day. At least I'm showered and dressed and have had a coffee. All is well in my world

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 11th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 12,380 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...I made a crumble with the YS'd plums...
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Must have been something about the cool crisp autumn air yesterday - I too made tumble crumble with they sulky fruit that was lurking in our kitchen...

A couple of apples hiding in the back of the fridge, some very ripe nectarines & plums and the last of those dreaded flat peaches that seemed like a good idea at the time... some free frozen blueberries, gifted in our weekly shop from Mr S - topped with the usual oaty crumble mix and a last minute addition of slivered almonds found in the store cupboard! No cream, custard or ice cream was to be had, but we enjoyed our 'no waste in this house' sweet! OH declared it an odd mix but inhaled it nonetheless.

Yesterday's goal was achieved (I try not to have more than one a weekend ) - Tidied up the 'larder' (store cupboard & freezer) and planned out how to use up the more unusual ingredients I have inherited from various benefactors - We are aiming to centre one meal a week around these ingredients and have planned out a lasagna, a few stir-fries, kedgeree, spag & balls, a tagine, singapore noodles, slow cooker stews, fish pie & PIZZA! All of these are more laborious than our typical fare, but no use having good ingredients sitting on the shelf when we could be using them up!

(...also a few sweets in the plans, but don't tell OH... pumpkin pie, krispie squares, cherry pie, cranberry cake... all very 'across the pond' and not part of his typical fare...)

So by Xmas when I plan to revisit this plan, we should both be a few pounds heavier & our bank balances too! - Just in time for January austerity & diet season!

(Have also sorted a bag of bits to go to work with a sign that says - free to a good home - help yourself... I mean seriously who needs 3 cans of hair mousse, 8 bottles of soy sauce & 5 bottles of sesame oil? - even if they were all gifted?)
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 43,222 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Oh, rtandon - isn't it autumnal?

I'm cutting down stores too, and getting better organised with stuff that I do need to buy in bulk - well, moving in the right direction, if not getting better

Well done you passing things along We get a little bit of garden produce passed along, but that's about it. I suspect some folks round here abouts would baulk at giving over the skin on their rice pudding. Even if they wouldn't eat it theirselves...................

Having said that, I'm behind with my cake provision for the kind and generous donations of vegetables, so I best pull my finger out.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Nowt for free round these parts, although we share out our spare apples with anyone who wants them. Even the horse manure people are charging this year! Bags of damsons out for sale too.

There is a huge wild damson tree by the popular dog walking area, so much fruit on its nearly touching the ground but no sign of anyone else having picked any. I collected a couple of kilos as that is as much jam/jelly as we will actually eat between that and the blackberry jelly I have already made but its sad to see so much go to waste.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 43,222 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Post #1465 reported as

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 43,222 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Nowt for free round these parts, although we share out our spare apples with anyone who wants them. Even the horse manure people are charging this year! Bags of damsons out for sale too.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I don't know why, but that made me chuckle redofromstart - we're very lucky if we spot freebies around here. Hence why I ensure that I use anything and everything that we are gifted - and if I can't use it, I try to pass it on, in one format or another.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 11th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 12,380 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Post #1465 reported as

Greying X
    ...except now that it's gone, your post is 1465 which confuzzled me to no end as I was trying to figure out why you were reporting yourself!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    you lot

You've reminded me that I acquired some lovely cooking apples the other day - might stew them this evening with a bit of yogurt and porridge
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 43,222 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    ...except now that it's gone, your post is 1465 which confuzzled me to no end as I was trying to figure out why you were reporting yourself!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    I know love. It's bad enough that that there Colonel's troops are trying to foist his fried chucken offerings onto a vegetarian thread. And now I'm left with a tin o' cold spam!

Any takers?

Cheery - coming round to yours for pudding

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    redofromstart
    What made me laugh was that the spam couldn't have been posted on a less suitable thread.
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 11th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 4,513 Posts
    • 13,218 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Shucks I didn't see it!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 43,222 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

You missed nowt, Verbatim, someone had just learnt how to use 'copy & paste' and had put the same ad on lots of threads. *Yawn*

Well, we ate last night, but late I did do the dish that I set out to so, but it was from 'Economy Gastronomy' and as you all know, they use base mixes to make several dishes. So I made all the dishes, but working in a tiny kitchen is not conducive to doing multiple dishes, or baking several cakes to fill an oven. So by the time you've done the washing up 57 times to leave space to roll things out, or mix, time has been munched

I made the chickpea base mix, to make; Othello's chickpea comfort pie, Everyday chickpea savoury loaf and red pepper hummus. The hummus was OK, not necessarily any better than my tried and trusted hummus recipe. The chickpea loaf..... mmm, I don't think 300g of base mix makes anything like the picture in the book - I could barely fill a 1lb loaf tin with my mix, and I had added in some oats for 'heft'. We'll see what it tastes like (i put it in the freezer), but I remain unconvinced about the fresh coriander in it.... but maybe that's just me. I did only put 1 egg in it too - and blitzed part of the mix instead. It's supposed to be 'economy' gastronomy after all, and eggs are expensive. Then I made the Othello's Chickpea Comfort Pie. Far to frou frou for a school night. The filling flavours were nice, and the coourgette was gifted in mine. The filo pastry was a box of the 3 for £1 from h3ron, which is just as well, as I wasted half of it in my rush to get it done I topped my pie with sesame seeds too, as I had some. I think I'd make the filling again, not convinced about the need for filo - think puff would work just as well as a pithiver or even use as a calzone filling. Picture here;

The rice was a bit of brown basmati (love that stuff ) out of the freezer, defrosted and put in a mould to look poncy..... The dish would have benefitted from some sort of light sauce/vinagrette, but I ran out of time

Tea tonight will be Vichysoisse....... Leek & tattie soup

Right, best go. Snap to prep - and yet only half a cup of coffee drunk

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 12th Sep 17, 7:31 AM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,509 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Oh dear to spam and bless them for being able to cut and paste - as annoying as it would have been. They do have a new skill.

Looked at the chickpea recipe in said book it did look good - as it does with you. Loving the poncy rice also. Nowt wrong with a bit of presentation.

Last night we had reduced burgers and wedges (part of the £5 frozen deal in coop.) often nothing there I fancy but its constituants for once I can see us using for 'quick teas'.

Enjoy the coffee petal I'm off for a read back as I've been away.

Happy Tuesday to your and yours me dears.

XOXOXO
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/2160
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40
    :
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    That pie looks amazing.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 2.02% paid House Deposit Contribution: 84% Emergency Fund: 43%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 43,222 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Children & Young Adults
    It never ceases to amaze me how quickly children grow up.

I noticed this morning that a child in the street has obviously 'gone up' to secondary school this term. I didn't realise they were quite old enough - I'd of thought they had another year at primary. But there they were, looking soooo much taller, bigger & growed up in their new uniform. I remember seeing them being brought home from hospital, a day or so after they were born........

I was up the High street yesterday, wandering out of the shopping centre, when 4 lads came walking towards me in a line. What was striking was that they were all munching shop bought sandwiches (in the cardboard triangles) and they were all holding those packages at exactly the same angle - what are the chances of that? Would have made a terrific photo. I think they were possibly all lower VIth, as their backpacks looked pristine and their jeans & trainers very nu........... But I did ponder on what it would be like to spend... what? £1.50?, £2?, £3 on a packet of sandwiches or a 'mealdeal' each day. Sometimes I do wonder if scratting around, making every penny squeak is worth it. Although I am well aware that I'm not a care-free college student any longer.......

I was 'chatting' to someone yesterday about BG and mentioned how quickly time was flying and how old they were now. It'll be all too soon that they will be trying on a school uniform for the first time, and then 2 seconds later it'll be a different uniform for a different school, and then................... I will prefer it though, if they learn to make their own sandwiches, and don't expect the bank of mum & dad to stump up each day........ Poor BG - getting lumbered with us!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    BG is blessed to have you as parents and don't you forget it! You're giving them skills to avoid a lifeime of debt, which is priceless

I won't recommend what we had for tea last night as weve both been up all night with upset stomachs - I have literally lost nearly 5lbs since yesterday

We had leftovers of the lentil and veg pie thing I made the other night - but come to think of it, I can't even remember what night I made it, and it's just been sat on the side ever since, not even in the fridge. I get a bit slack, thinking we dont eat meat so dont need to worry but that's caught me out before and will undoubtedly do so again Mr Cheery's leftover soup will NOT be being consumed today though and has now taken on the status of TOXIC POISON

Dragging myself out in a tic as were almost out of loo roll :erk: and I was the first to stop being sick so I'm clearly better trying to think what I fancy to eat - usually cornflakes when I'm ill

Anyway sorry greying, rambling on with tales of woe. Hope you're all feeling better than me xx
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 43,222 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    *passes Cheery a piece of dry toast......*

Oh love, it's awful being ill. I hope it's just something that once it's exited your system, it's done......

But thanks for the reminder, we're low on loo roll too Forgot to get some at the weekend

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 43,222 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Mmm, not too sure what today holds. The weather seems nice now, but it has rained heavily.

Anyway, we'll need supplies, but DH will be in charge of getting those, as they are of the mrL/mrAl variety.

BG and I had a lovely day out yesterday. I took a bit of a leap of faith and have widened my circle a bit, and have found some lovely people to hang out with for a few hours each week. It makes a difference. We donate what we can afford, and have a wonderful time.

I also hit the jackpot with gifted produce yesterday, some from the gardening parental and some from a friend. So that will be used up - every last bit

Tea last night was creamy courgette and pasta, which is a recipe I have made before. It utilised 3 of the gifted courgettes and whilst I did buy some cream to put into the dish, it did also use up the last of the parmesan cheese that I got a good few weeks ago. So for the most part, a pretty furgal dish. I made ours with macaroni, as it was what I had in and I'm no fan of fettucine.

Tea this evening will be a produce heavy buddha bowl. Other than that, the details are quite fluid Oh, and on Tuesday night, we did have leek and potato soup. It was awful. I used frozen leeks from fArmf00ds - lawks they were stringy. It was like eating grass soup No need to query the 'fibre' intake in the Greying Household............ We ate it all up, but gosh, a worthy eat, if ever there was one

Can't think of owt else to report, so best get to choresville by the express route.

Ta for reading. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 14th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 12,380 Thanks
    rtandon27
    No need to query the 'fibre' intake in the Greying Household............
    Oh my...

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,523 Thanks
    beanielou
    That courgette things looks fair braw
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,235Posts Today

7,344Users online

Martin's Twitter