Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,769Posts
    • 41,525Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 73
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Sep 17, 11:40 PM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    giggling at the thought of you planning your meals based on children's tv programmes
    Saved for house move: £13,806.35
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 6th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 14,820 Posts
    • 97,139 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Glorious day here - hope you had fun where you adventurised.

Flumps and tomato soup - that's incredible subliminal messaging.

Hats off to you and yours - enjoy your evening!

XOXOXO
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£520, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/£2400
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: 30/8 £4820 PAID off £735.40
    :
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Ha, we didn't end up eating tomato soup last night after all, the day somewhat ran away, so we had baked potatoes (!), fish fingers and beans and the 2 last (small) pieces of pizza.

We have had a day of adventurising, so I'm pooped. We met some new people who where nice and friendly and we got gifted some HG veg - runner beans, courgettes and some tommies (red and yellow) picked straight off the vine.....mmmmmmmmmmm

Tea this evening evolved into mushroom stroganoff, as I walked past the mushrooms in mrAl and thought, haven't had mushrooms in a while, what could I??? and it came quick as a flash, 'stroganoff' because I was looking for something to incorporate rice, and it would use up the last of the frozen wine and the last of some yoghurt that we had

No recipe as such, just a lot of garlic and paprika. Gawd 'elp anyone bumping into me for the next couple of days

Today I have - yet again, been grateful for many, many things. But 3 randomly chosen are;

the kindess of strangers - who may well yet, go on to become friends

my DH

hands
    - extended in welcome, lent and held, today

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Got to shift a tail feather this morning. DH has to be ready to go to work earlier, so I need to get shifting.

Tea this evening will be a buddha bowl of something, I'm hopeful inspiration will strike between now and then, as I've not thought of anything yet.

This is, all in all, a bit of a non-post. I should have engaged my brain before setting fingers to the keyboard. Hope the braincells warm up as the day goes on.....

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I did forget to add that whilst in mrA yesterday, I got some of their 'funsize' () easy peeler teeny oranges - they are lovely and sweet and well worth 65p. I also had to get a bag of 7 'funsize' () bananas for 65p as the 12 or 13 pence per banana variety were leaf green I weighed the bag when I got home - 900g - which made them 72p per kilo, a saving of 4 whole pennies on my grocery shop........ forgive me for not bouncing up and down with delight........I still have the plastic bag to dispose of, as I don't take a bag when buying nar-nars loose.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Sep 17, 9:00 AM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, I got some of those bananas yesterday Greying - I was just about to weigh mine but I see Mr Cheery has already eaten a couple so there's not much point Nearly bought the oranges too but I've got most of a bag of satsumas already so not much point.

Hope you have a jolly day! Must make my lunch to take to work - still got LOADS of the belgian bread my friend left so I guess it'll be cheese butties again...
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

My dearest Cheery I had SUCH a jolly day

Sometimes it saddens me that I don't still have contact with the gal that was 'charged' with looking after me on my first day at primary school, although I remember her well, and know that we share a similarity of having started our families 'later in life'........

Sometimes it saddens me that I left secondary school and moved out of the circles of people that were the same age as me. Although in recent years, of people/families that I know from that time, the news is rarely positive........

Sometimes it saddens me that at University, ours was an unusually small cohort, for the year, and that I have no ties with anyone that eventually completed the course.

Sometimes it saddens me that my trio of 'gal pals' that I made, via work, seemed to disappear into the ether the minute BG appeared on the scene. Despite promises of meet ups, and presents apparently waiting to be handed over, no contact has actually been made. They are busy with their careers and commitments. That I understand and accept. I remain dumfounded as to what has changed about me. Other than that i became a mother. I didn't ever, see that as an issue. But then, I can also see the other sides of the matter......................

Sometimes I talk about how 'hard' it is to make friendships in 'later life'.

Today, I acknowledge that I am one lucky lady. I have at least 5 'firm' friends made in recent years. I think the 'oldest' of those I have made was 10 years ago - and yet they have been an almost constant in my life, due to letters and more recently, e-mail. I also have 2 additional 'friends' that may yet be 'fairweather' - I am currently giving them the benefit of the doubt, as I know their lives are busy. They may well yet pull through to be stalwarts. And if they are 'fairweather', well, then I wish them luck and good wishes for the rest of their lives - I hope they lead wonderful ones

But the one feature of my 5 'new' friends, is, undoubtedly kindness.

And I don't mean 'stuff' given over/gifted. I mean genuine, 'thought for others' kindness.

BG and I were treated to such kindness today, by one such friend. And for that, I am utterly, utterly grateful. This friend put time and love into making us welcome, making us lunch, making us feel at home...... or better than at home... (DH does the washing up, but cooking.... not so much....... ) Our friend made us comfortable, made us giggle, accomodated our every need, talked with us and listened.

So today I am grateful for;

friendships - Make them.

and for

leaps of faith - Take them.

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 08-09-2017 at 6:47 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw Greying, what a lovely post, brought a tear to my eye

Tis hard keeping in touch I think. I confess there's only really one or two people I'm in contact with from school, and a couple more from university, but I have an odd load of individual pals dotted round the country who I keep in touch with usually through phone or facebook or something.

Funny how different friends you end up seeing in different situations. Some I rarely see but when I do, it's like there was no gap.

I'm so glad you've got a decent of pals around you, I really am Remember we are your pals too if only virtually (I suppose I could technically live right around the corner from you and never even know it! )

If you see some mad woman staring at you suspiciously in the frozen pizza isle of @ldi it might just be me Do come and say hello
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    If you see some mad woman staring at you suspiciously in the frozen pizza isle of @ldi it might just be me Do come and say hello
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff

My dearest Cheery, regretably, I know that I don't live near you But this is a good thing - simply because it means that i don't buy up all the smoked tofu in the vicinity - so there is some left for you

But you're right about wondering 'who' lives near ya The good thing about MSE is that it clearly demonstrates that wonderful, kind, thoughtful, generous and frugal folk are dotted all over the place, and could, indeed, be just along the avenue from you

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    • 47,172 Posts
    • 169,435 Thanks
    beanielou
    Here is to friendship.
    Virtual & in RL.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Sep 17, 10:15 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Here is to friendship.
    Virtual & in RL.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    YUP!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Sep 17, 11:33 PM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Indeed It makes me rather cheerful to think that fellow MSEers could be standing next to me in the co op

(I meant aisle earlier of course - although an island entirely devoted to frozen pizza may be no bad thing )
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

mmmm, islands of pizza..... mmmmmm Wm. Wonka Esq, never thought that one up....... mmmmmm

Tea this evening should be HM pizza and wedges of some description The pizza will most likely be black olive.

I've dried washing to put away and bits and pieces to sort out for the chazza. I bought some of the baby wipes from mrL yesterday - they only sell them on xxl deal weeks (they used to be their 'standard' wipes) - and they need to be put away, as BG loves getting the packets out and playing 'supermarket shelf stacker'

We will definitely need a breath of fresh air, and I've a letter to post, so we'll combine the two hopefully.

We caught up with the last episode of 'cuckoo's nest'. I did guess correctly 'whodunnit' - which is actually rare for me! But it was an interesting - if inconsistent - watch. I see they've clearly adapted another of the books, as there was teaser trailer at the end, wasn't there?

Right, best shift-a-tail-feather and get snap prepped.

Ta for popping by and joining in the convo. Appreciated

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 8th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 7,060 Posts
    • 34,158 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Lovely post about kindness and friendship. Thanks GP.

Pizza sounds good. I bought some YS ones today and popped in the freezer for a rush meal one day next week. Its tuna pasta bake today with green salad. Crowd pleaser for the teenagers...and I can make it whilst listening to PM on R4 The joy of small things...
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    September '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [August 33%]
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 35/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 09/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for September 01/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 9th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Well, isn't time flying?

Brizzle - I am quite sure if I had access to half price, good quality pizza, I would be stuffing them in my freezer too

Tea last night did end up being black olive pizza (hm) with hm wedges. There was enough pizza to fill us, and there are 2 slices each for another day in the freezer. 300g of flour, to make the dough base is proving to be just the right amount I got the tatties from HB, 59p for 2kg. Still an expensive way of buying them, in a way. But the wedges are nicer (i think) than the bought ones. Bought ones are OK for 'emergency' meals - and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bag if needs be. But I prefer starting out with the raw ingredients and adding (or not) any seasoning I see fit.

Having said ^, I did buy a boxed of frozen fish filets and a bag of oven chips yesterday for our 'easy' tea, should we need it this week. So, as you can see, I am a raving hypocrite

Tea this evening will definitely be curry plate and it will definitely feature runner beans. i have been gifted 2 lots this week, and it is important to me to honour those gifts by using up the produce wisely. I appreciate such generosity, and want to make sure that the food is not wasted.

I didn't get around to posting my letter yesterday, but we did get out and about for a breath of fresh air. I will try and get to the PO today.

I did sort out the washing and did set aside bits for the chazzer - good things that BG is growing out of, but not wearing out I hope they will be useful to someone else.

Right, DH needs to be gone spit, spot, early doors this morn. So I had better shove off. I've done snap prep, but could squeak in a bit of letter/post prep before needing to look after BG - who is currently in safe hands with Daddy - I can hear the giggles

Ta for popping in. Greatly appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 9th Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 6,289 Posts
    • 45,806 Thanks
    apple muncher

300g of flour, to make the dough base is proving to be just the right amount

Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim

Indeed!
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 9; Ex 7; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 9th Sep 17, 7:57 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Indeed!
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    - Ooof, you're quick! No sneaking things past you this morn, apple

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 9th Sep 17, 8:22 AM
    • 6,289 Posts
    • 45,806 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I'm like greased lightning, me!
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 9; Ex 7; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Sep 17, 7:43 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

A quick post from me, as I'm already running behind, and the day's not started yet!

Tea last night was Runner Bean Rogan Josh with lentil dhal and steamed basmati. I'll freely admit that some of the runner beans were a leeetle bit on the tough side...... but we ate them up. All I did for the curry was to make up a batch of JaymeeO's Rogan Josh Paste (scroll down to the third set of ingredients on the list), and then put some onion, garlic, ginger paste in a pan, cooked that in some oil - added some of the paste and a tin of tomatoes, and 4 green cardamon pods and let it cook out. The tomatoes needed a spot of sugar, then I added the beans (thinly sliced) and let them cook until they were as tender as they were gonna get I then added in some lemon juice and removed the 4 cardamon pods. What is missing from the pic is a dollop of yoghurt, which you serve with rogan josh - i'm afraid I forgot for the pic, but did remember to add, just before we ate - it was nice and completed the curry. There is onion paste and rogan josh paste left over for another curry - they have been put in the freezer. We have one full portion of runner beans left to use. Picture here;

Tea this evening may well be fish, chips and mushy peas, but I'm not sure what we're doing this arvo, so that may change.

Right, mustache. Things to do, folk to see.

Ta for popping by. Appreciated. Greatly. Always.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon

Gosh, today is whizzing, but it's going well, so no complaints from me

We're not doing anything 'interesting' this arvo But we had some nice family time this morning, so again, no complaints.

We went round and about to see how far it was, and I ended up in a lil' m&$. A couple of YS's caught my eye, I got 335g of cherry tommies for 65p - OK, so that is more expensive than mrL, but they are produce of the Isle of Wight, and I'm hopeful that Brian Moralee Esq, knows how to grow a tasty tommie......... Dunna let me down Bri....... And I bought 500g of plums for 90p - which is double the price of the mrAl S6 current offer, but, again, they are British - produce of Kent - and whilst some mse'rs are reporting british plums in the S6, in our local mrAl, it was the ubiquitous purple snooker spherical objects, presumably not from the UK. I'm hopeful that Charlie Gaskain has well bred 'Marjories' that taste scrumptious Although interestingly, underneath the boxes and boxes and boxes of YS'd british 'Marjories', in m&$, there were some really big purple round plums (not YS'd). I assumed they would be imported, but no, they were produce of Kent too - something like 'Hargent' ? variety ?

Also, I've managed to do some personal admin, the meal-plan for the week and written a 'personal' (to a chum - rather than 'admin') email , have eaten lunch and done some washing. Nothing earth shattering, but little by little the chores get ticked off. Mind, when does the washing ever end?

Can't think of owt else MS, so best go and do something useful. DH is kindly cleaning the bathroom. BG is napping. Only fair I tidy up the living room.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,932Posts Today

8,580Users online

Martin's Twitter