Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,934Posts
    • 43,548Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 57
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 17th Jun 17, 11:24 PM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 13,262 Thanks
    Verbatim
    We took a trip up the High Street, dropped off the library books and pootled around to HB to get a couple of things.

I always have a peruse of the *bargain* (?) bins at the front of the store, and usually walk on by. However, today I spotted these;

At 29p each, for a 120g carton, I thought that they would be worth a punt. I needed some 'wholemeal' type flour to make a Molly Cake, and thought that the Freekeh flour might fit the bill. I think I might have a go at pancakes with the Quinoa Flour. There was chickpea flour too. I thought that it might be 'store specific' with them being in the bargain bins, but according to HDUK, they could be in stores across the land. Just the right size to try out these types of flours, and at about 1/5th the cost of the supermercados, a pretty good deal. 2 of them have August BB dates, the Freekeh, which I'll be using today has a BB November 2017 (typical ).

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    How strange! I went into an unfamiliar organic gocer/greengrocer today because there was a pop up prformance (local festival). While there I had a mooch around and saw the self same tubes of flour. Don't think they were at those prices though!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 18th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 12,472 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Indeed not! Mr Ts has the quinoa flour listed on sale at 1.25 regularly 1.50!!!

The posh Flour's own website does have some lovely recipes on it!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 19th Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

We've been having a swell(tering!) time Lucky enough to spend Father's Day together as a family. Mucho fun and laughter was had And egg sangers, no-sausage rolls and HM cake........

I'm delighted to report that I took baby steps towards achieving my challenge targets again today. It was toooooooooooo hot to be outside, so we stayed in the relative coolness (I did say relative......... ) of the house, and Baby Greying decided that snoozing was really a good way of beating the heat I was able to work around them, pottering with mini-tasks that had either been sitting and niggling for yonks or which will contribute to helping us achieve the BIG stuff on the challenge list Every little helps us along

I was sad to learn of Brian Cant's death. As others have said, he was one of the sounds of my childhood. 'Pugh, Pugh, Barney Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb'

Tea this evening was a made-up pasta dish - at least I think it is made up - that I have been cogitating on for a while. I bought some straight (rather than elbow) macaroni from MrM last week, with the intention of making it into a pasta dish. And I don't know why, but I wanted to add mini mozarella, black olives and green beans to it. So I did I also used the italian dressing recipe to dress it all, with some garlic thrown it. I wish I had microplaned the garlic in, it was a bit harsh But overall it kinda worked, and sort of looked like the picture I had of it in my head. Picture of DH's plate;

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

refuge from the heat

reminders of childhood

re-awakening my mojo - hope I can keep it going

Ta for popping by and reading. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 20th Jun 17, 8:47 AM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Another warm start here today We shall be getting outdoor chores started early to avoid lobster syndrome

Tea this evening will be another 'room temperature' soup. I'm going to make Anissa Helou's version of Makhluta, which is a bean and grain soup. A similar recipe (but not Anissa's) can be found HERE. There is not enough spicing in that version for me - Anissa uses Lebanese 7 spice, which I've just made up a batch of.

Right, must crack on.

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 20-06-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 20th Jun 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 12,472 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Small giggle for you...

Tried to click on your first link & work computer said it was a forbidden site! Hovered to discover it was called 'frugalvillage' - obviously work thinks being frugal is a no-no!?!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 20th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 8,234 Posts
    • 43,596 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Naughty work RT!

My Brian Cant memory is "How high can a fly fly when a fly flies ever so high!" from a saturday afternoon thing he did I think - PlayAway maybe? And of course "Through the.....round window!" definitely a voice of my childhood though - and losing him and John Noakes so close together feels like a double blow.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 20th Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Small giggle for you...

Tried to click on your first link & work computer said it was a forbidden site! Hovered to discover it was called 'frugalvillage' - obviously work thinks being frugal is a no-no!?!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    rtandon - I can only imagine that your 'corporate' computer is saving you from yourself and encouraging you to remain in the consumer mainstream! I've just had a little canter around the Frugal Village site - looks quite good actually, and there are sub-sections for 'Frugal Canadians' and 'Frugal Europeans' (assume the site is US) - obviously subversive activity, swapping jam recipes and knitting patterns!!

But EH - it was never through the round window Always the boring square window or the slightly more architecturally interesting arch window! Surprised someone didn't write a PhD on the times each of the windows were picked, or not

Ach, I think BG has got overly hot or bothered today or something, they have been a niggle bottom all morning - although they were impeccably behaved when we were out - for which I'm grateful. They are having a snooze now, hopefully they will relax and unwind and wake up refreshed.

I picked up the TV guide, some bananas, a cucumber and some cherry toms, up the high street. I was niggled to find that one of the salad tommies that I got in Aldee on Sunday was going mouldy. I cut the top off and used it in my sandwich for lunch. I know that they were only 49p for 6, but still. It's definitely going to be squeaky-bum with the food budget this month. Clearly I cannot bulk buy bags of rice out of the month's budget, without it having an adverse effect on cash-flow later in the month. It does irritate me though, as the food I have bought has been predominantly 'good' stuff, you know; fruit, veg, nuts, pulses, yoghurt etc. I think the only 'luxury' stuff I have bought has been some halloumi and I've bought some (frozen) cod to try a new recipe. Not exactly 'eating like kings' nor' dining on junk' are we? Oh, thinking about it, I bought into the mrL cheese offer too, so there is another £8 that was spent on food that will last longer than just this month (now that I'm back in charge of cheese rationing )

Right, I best make hay whilst BG naps.

Ta for popping in and chatting. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Jun 17, 5:31 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,067 Thanks
    beanielou
    It always irritates me a lot that it is actually in a lot of cases cheaper to buy junk & that there is always a lot of junk on offer.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 21st Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

to beanie

Well, I've had to do a cash adjustment and 'repay' my current month's food budget the money that I paid out for the rice and cheese. It's still going to be squeaky, squeaky as it is, just buying the basics. Ah well. Suppose it would be boring if it t'were easy...........

I have also put in a bit of a 'float' for the 'bulk buys'. The money has come from my savings account, but I need to cut myself a bit of slack. Hopefully when it is up and running, it'll all even out and there will be money in the 'bulk purchases' pot each time they need to be made/opportunities present themselves.

I popped into the market 'all just to use the loo But couldn't resist going past the 'outrageously priced greengrocery stall'. Lemons there are now 25% more expensive than m&$ I bought some lemons from HB - 5 for a pand.

My shopping in HB came to just shy of £10 - it was just for nick-nacky bits - no real 'food' as such; herbs, coffee, lemons, risotto rice, coconut milk etc

Tea last night was as described in my post of the morning. It was OK - you have to like pulses to like it I think..... And whilst it was room temperature, it probably was a bit too heavy for the weather...... Picture here;

Tea this evening was a bit of a bodge. I knew I wanted to use rice, and then I figured I'd use the remaining pieces of smoked aubergine bake out of the freezer and throw together some salad. I boiled up some brown rice. Defrosted the bake. Luckily DH managed to snag the last bag of wild rocket in mrL for 45p (PotW), and I knew I had tomatoes and cucumber to do something with. I did my tried and trusted oil and balsamic dressing for the tomatoes, and just let them sit, but I knew I didn't want to do a 'creamy' cucumber side. Orf onto the 'puter I went and came across a recipe that sounded fresh and different, so I had a bash at The Best Cucumber Salad - yeh, like eva*......... I made a yoghurt/mayo dressing with diced,roasted red pepper and smoked paprika to 'drizzle' (or should that be drip ) over the bake and rocket leaves. Threw it all on a plate and it looked a bit like this;

The cucumber salad is a keeper for me. I didn't have any dill, so I crushed a little bit of fennel seed up and mixed it with parsley - apparently dill is a member of the parsley family - to add to the sliced cucumber. I didn't have salad onion, but did remember to microplane the garlic tonight - made the world of difference The salt draws out the cucumber 'water' and it really makes a nice salad.

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

wonderful kindness and thoughfulness from a stranger

for seizing the initiative, rather than waiting for others to act - helped us take a tiny step forward with our priorities too

for a relaxed conversation with my husband at the tea-table - a real treat for us both, even if an hour did evaporate into the ether.......

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in. Appreciated.

Greying X

* releasing my inner teenager - soz!
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 21-06-2017 at 9:09 PM.
    'Ich habe genug'

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 22nd Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    • 8,234 Posts
    • 43,596 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ha! I have JUST mentioned on my own diary about the Lil's POTW mini cucumbers this week - and you post that recipe link. Mmmm....might need to track down some dill, and if I'm going to get dill, there will be more than I need for the salad so that means fish one day early next week!

*runs off to add spring onions & dill to the shopping list*
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 23rd Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 7,321 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    Delurking to say: when I make a German version of this, I use dried dill and it works fine (and keeps for ever ).

I soak the sliced cucumber (peeled or not) in cider/ wine vinegar, a tsp of salt and a tsp of sugar plus a good sprinkling of dill for at least half an hour. Give it a good mix around every so often. When ready to serve drain the vinegar. It can be served plain or with sour cream/ yoghurt stirred through. We call it Nina's cucumber salad after the friend whose recipe it is.
    I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to somebody else's ignorance. - Bell Hooks

Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not - Pablo Picasso
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 23rd Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Well, it was my turn to fall asleep in Baby Greying's room last night

Tea was a Falafel salad bowl. I'd share a pic, but hey, guess what? PB is playing up.......... I was pleased that it was made up of components that I had/needed using (go me! ) The one recipe that I used - although I didn't (need to) follow it slavishly in this instance was Cous Cous with Chickpeas & Goats Cheese - a recipe by Julie Le Clerc from her 'Made in Morrocco' cookbook. I didn't use chickpeas, as I had the falafel, and didn't need goats cheese in this instance. Please ignore the picture for the recipe - there isn't aubergine in the recipe, so your dish won't look like the photo. Need to get me a job as a cookbook/recipe/picture editor me thinks

Tea this evening will be pizza and 'something'. Not too sure if it will be pasta salad or wedges/oven chips. I haven't any tatties to make wedges, and looking at the YS'd prices in m&$ yesterday, I won't be having any for a while........

I've sorted out a menu plan for the remainder of June. The recipes of Jack Monroe feature heavily........ I've probably only enough left in my budget to buy the 'essentials', so need to get creative with what i have.

I'm able to check another thing off as accomplished on my 'challenge' - it's so wee (form completion) and yet it's because it's been on the 'list' it's been accomplished. I need to buy a stamp and send it off today, which I can do

Definitely having the challenge is moving us forward. I've done far more in June, than I possibly have for most of this year; but in teeny tiny steps, rather than huge project completion. I suppose I'm doing the equivalent of a daily 'Tilly-Tidy' of a penny against a mortgage of £100,000 - but it's progress, and better than letting 6 months pass, wishing for a lottery win of £100k to pay it off in full..........

Still can't shift me blessed weight though........

Right, can't think of owt else MS, so best vamoose.

Ta for reading. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 24th Jun 17, 12:32 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon

I have finally managed to upload a picture of Thursday night's tea onto PB, so here it is;

The sauce was my usual citrus, miso, tahini with yoghurt blended in too, and then I did a bit of a riff on harissa, and tried to 'marble' it through. Not entirely successful, but neither is the sauce pink!

Tea last night was HM mushroom pizza with oven chips. No pic as it tasted OK, but looked dreadful - I used millet flour in the dough and it didn't work out well. It was 1/3rd millet flour to 2/3rds bread flour and although it rose, it didn't do so well in the oven and looked and acted much more like a pastry/biscuit base. As i said, perfectly edible, but looked like a dog's breakfast, as it stuck to the pan too

I nipped up the high street this morning. My 'bargain of the day' was definitely a kilo of carrots in m&$ for 25p Good job I am easily pleased I shall be making JM's Peach & Chickpea curry later, maybe some dhal too.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to miss staying in budget for food this month. I've aproximately £5 left (plus a little shrapnel), and I suspect even 'basics', milk, bananas and bread will 'eat' that up before Friday. I shall, however, try my best to eke it out. Although thinking about it, I will need to 'buy' olive oil and 'cheese' from my 'store' cupboard - erm, even at discount prices, that is £4.78, spent, right there, so no, I'm not going to be able to do it Fiddlesticks!

Right, best go and do chores. BG is tired out with our 'massive consumer fest-spending spree'...... and has gone down for a little snooze.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 24th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,832 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Hello can one of you cheffie types please help?
    despite trying 2 different supermarkets, I can't get the 40g of stem ginger asked for in a recipe. any thoughts on a substitute?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 24th Jun 17, 10:24 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Hello can one of you cheffie types please help?
    despite trying 2 different supermarkets, I can't get the 40g of stem ginger asked for in a recipe. any thoughts on a substitute?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Mmmm, let's have a think about this.......

In terms of 'something else', mmm, nothing is springing to mind. So, do you look for a way around it, utilising ginger and 'syrup' which is what stem ginger is - ginger chunks steeped in a sugar solution/syrup.

Is the stem ginger important to the 'look' of the dish, for example, if you were making ice-cream, and it was important to the look of the ice-cream that there were little lumps of stem ginger flecked through.....

Is it just for flavouring? Could you get away with utilising 'ginger' in fresh or powdered form and combining it with sugar or a basic stock syrup to which you then go on to add ginger flavouring?

If the stem ginger wasn't important to the look of the dish, I would try to concoct something with grated 'fresh' ginger (actually the root or jarred) and a syrup of some kind. I would bear in mind that stem ginger is really really sweet - whereas fresh ginger is a hot, agressive flavouring, so i would go steady and taste, taste, taste as i went along. Bear in mind if you are making something like ice-cream, adding extra sugar etc can affect setting times/abilities.

Alternatively, if a little time is on your side - make your own?

Let us know how you get on love,

EDIT: You have really nice local bakeries - is it worth being a mite cheeky, and asking if they have big tubs/jars of the stuff, that they'd decant out 40g for you for a consideration?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 24-06-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 24th Jun 17, 10:58 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ginger marmalade!
    Man alive - how is my brain wired? I get ready for bed, clean me teeth, kiss the baby night, night, switch the light off, get under the covers, and........ BING!

GINGER MARMALADE springs into my concious mind.

INOD - do any of your supermercados sell Ginger marmalade - or ginger conserve/Jam?

I'm going back to bed now...... Night All

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 25th Jun 17, 1:08 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 12,472 Thanks
    rtandon27
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 25th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,832 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna try the basic stock syrup using a mix of powdered and fresh ginger. It's to go into a carrot cake so the appearance isn't the issue.

Re the bakery suggestion, I'd have no bother asking them but I've never seen anything gingery on sale there bar gingerbread men. It's an amazing place but majors in potato and soda farls, iced fingers, apple puffs, truly amazing beef sausage rolls and jam stuffed donuts.

I had checked the jam sections yesterday but there was no ginger apparent. To source some would mean knocking the car free day on the head so I'll improvise. I'll report back later as, if nothing else, it should mean that I actually bake.

Thanks again to a wonderful cookery clinician.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 25th Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    • 7,756 Posts
    • 86,548 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Another supporter for making it. It's expensive to buy and ginger is relatively inexpensive. I know I'm going to need a fair bit for Christmas - I'll have a go.

Tilly xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 26th Jun 17, 6:55 AM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

I'm going to be waiting in today for a delivery for summat I've ordered over the internet....... (will I ever learn?). I am supposed to be getting a text with a delivery 'window' of 4 hrs, so we shall see. Fingers crossed it all goes spiffing

I've been and gorn and dunn it I have signed up to Mrs Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month - July edition. I figure the challenge is good timing, for the 'middle' month of my own challenge, to ramp things up a notch. Also, I am of the belief that there is always new stuff to learn, so here goes I don't think I'll be joining faceache for the challenge - I'll have to ask Cheery if she thought it added exponentially to her experience back in January.

In one way the timing is bad, as we're planning a teeny trip that will benefit from an overnight stay (driving distances just a little too long to accomplish all in one day and enjoy the venue). It isn't the accommodation costs that are daunting, but the meals that cannot be kept in a butty box for 36hrs, and so will have to be 'bought out' Still, hopefully with an uber frugal mindset, we can feast without causing famine to the bank account........ Still, I didn't think that it was a big enough 'biggie' to prevent me signing up for the challenge anyway.

Tea this evening will involve leeks. We went adventurising yesterday and a wander around mrS just before closing yielded 800g of organic leeks for 20p....... I couldn't leave them on the shelf.........

Tea last night was actually JM's Peach and Chickpea Curry with dhal and rice. We had fish & chips (out the freezer) on Saturday night, as it better suited what was going on. I took a tip out of EH's thread and made some more cucumber salad to accompany the fish - it's a wee bit too summery for mushy peas........

I think I had better get conversant with Mrs Frugalwoods 'rice & beans' recipe...........

Right, think that is all that I have to report that is MS. Our adventurising yesterday involved leisure, pleasure and shopping for something to finish off the decor in a room in the house. We ended up having to go hither and yon to reach our 'shopping' destination due to roadworks. We ended up just following cars who seemed to know where they were going - and it got us there! I only know the are vaguely - so knew we were heading in the right direction generally, but couldn't have told you which backstreets we went down! Anyway, I think we used our car relatively efficiently and packed alot in

Right, I'm off to stare anxiously at my phone for 'the' text. I might be some time.........

Ta for popping in.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,961Posts Today

6,524Users online

Martin's Twitter