Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,830Posts
    • 42,287Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 56
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Jun 17, 8:59 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Well, we've got some chores done, and had some family time together Nice balance I think, and the challenge is trotting along nicely, except for the weight loss

Because we went out on Wednesday, I didn't post the soup pic/recipe we had on Tuesday night. The recipe is from a book about Fern Verrow which is a Biodynamic Farm at the foot of the black mountains in Herefordshire/Monmouthshire(?). Sweetcorn, chilli, lime and potato soup (scroll down for recipe compoments - in purple -, quantities are not given) was very nice and I would certainly make it again. I of course made it with frozen sweetcorn, rather than produce picked from my garden........ Served with onion seed flatbreads. Picture here;

Teas have been mixed and varied and deviated a little from the planner, due to unexpected purchases, and time limitations due to 'staycationing' However, I made a version of the Grilled Halloumi and roasted med. vegfrom the Happy Pear cookbook. As ever, I used what I had, and I made a basil and roasted garlic dressing, rather than the dressing suggested by the guys. My med veg was courgette, red pepper and butternut squash YS'd from M&$. I added a couple of bits of asparagus in, along with some cherry tomatoes whilst roasting the veg - it's a bit overdone, as BG didn't go to sleep straightway. The rocket 'salad' (actually just dressed leaves) was also YS'd from m&$. The halloumi was mrL. Picture here;

Friday night we went with a version of Italian Sausage & pasta, again, using what I had, rather than slavishly following the recipe. This was possible because we dropped on some 'cold-ron' foods veggie lincolshire sausages for 85p a packet in h3ron f00ds. I bought the 3 remaining packs and popped them in the freezer. Picture here;

Tea last night was 'Spring Risotto' featuring broad beans and asparagus bought in a farm shop on our day out. The rest of the YS'd rocket made a little side salad. No recipe, but I was lucky I had just enough risotto rice to make it..... #shuddacheckedingredients....... Picture here;

Right, we're up to date. Possibly pizza for tonight.

I'll be back in a minute.

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 11-06-2017 at 9:27 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Jun 17, 9:23 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    In terms of how my challenge is progressing, we've done better than expected, despite one or two setbacks. We've made a good start - now to keep momentum and have a stonking finish!

One room in the house is now 'finished'. It's only taken 2 years......! Having said that, the other rooms in the house have been in various states of repair/disrepair for alot longer........

We popped to du3lm yesterday to get a lampshade. We left home in sunshine, and by the time we came out of the shop - not having spent overly much time in there, as I actually dropped on what I wanted relatively quickly, the heavens had opened and a mini-monsoon was in progress! It was difficult to remember that we are on the cusp of summer! We had popped into Greying Town in the morning, and picked up a couple of useful items for BG in a chazza - I had procrastinated about them - having spotted them earlier in the week, I suppose I was lucky they were still there! £4.50 well spent DH wanted a chip butty, so we popped into our favourite greasy spoon. Unfortunately, they have decided to put their prices up and a chip butty is now £2.20. It's no longer worth it The chips were overcooked and the bread is always cheap white sliced (which is part of the charm of a greasy spoon, right?) So I'm not sure we'll continue going there. Which is a bit of a shame, as it won't become part of BG's childhood memories as it was mine - can you believe, we went so rarely, it was a great treat to go there #differenttimesdifferentexpectations

Unfortunately, my 'veg man' in the market'all has raised his prices, he too was charging more for lemons than M&$ do!, and they weren't the really lush Spanish ones that he had several weeks ago, so there is going to be no need to visit the market 'all anymore. I don't think the stallholders quite grasp the concept of what a 'market' is supposed to be about. Either that, or they are charged through the nose for their stall rents.

Not too sure what is on the cards for today. DH has woken up in a grump It happens at the end of every holiday, and has become worse since we've had darling BG....... I'd better go and get my thinking cap on and come up with something nice, so that we can enjoy some family time together. Make some more memories

Oh, in terms of natty trusty visiting, we've chalked up one 'new to us' visit and then we popped over to our local one on Friday. After indifferent weather in the morning, the sunshine came out in the afternoon, and we had a glorious time picnicing in the garden. can't be beaten. I also bagged some garden produce that was very well priced. I'll look forward to making something gorgeous with it, and feel smug at 'wheelbarrow miles'

Right, there is sunshine, and we need to be having fun in it, as it has been a little bit of a stranger this week!

Ta for popping in and reading. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 20,940 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Those meals look amazing Greying - I'm awarding you a Michelin Star.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 1.2% paid House Deposit Contribution: 80%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good morning

Back to normality with a bump

I've some bits and pieces to pick up today, and I'll also try to pop my donation over to the community hub for the FB. It's with the money left over from last month. I'll have to think about what to do going forward, as our charitable donations aren't huge....... most of our preloved stuff goes to charity shops rather than online auction sites, i suppose, but still.

Tea this evening will probably be a version of broad bean kuku, with assorted salads.

I've my meal plan to devise for this week and research for some things that we need to buy going forward. Sure I need good prices, but I need dependable delivery too

There is always tidying and dusting to do if I've spare time on my hands.

Right, think that is all in an MS vein. Best vamoose.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 12th Jun 17, 11:10 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    rtandon27
    There is always tidying and dusting to do if I've spare time on my hands.
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    GP - are you secretly moonlighting as Fly-lady?!?
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    GP - are you secretly moonlighting as Fly-lady?!?
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Oh ay rtandon - me & housework? We're like;

----------A MILLION MILES APART ----------

XX
    'Ich habe genug'

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 6,415 Posts
    • 46,801 Thanks
    apple muncher
    That close, huh? Sounds like best buddies to me...
    NST Organise October #10; NSD 12/20; Ex 6/20; craft 6/31 (212); remove 514
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3320/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 13th Jun 17, 8:02 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

That close, huh? Sounds like best buddies to me...
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    *Snort* Cheeky!!

Well, we achieved stuff yesterday, although the dust remained undisturbed.........

I bought and took half a dozen cartons of milk over to the Community Hub for the FB. The friendly receptionist was on, so that was a bonus It does annoy me that £3 was all I can afford, but then again, I'm glad that I provide milk. It's a product that is in high demand, and I guess if it means you can have your cuppa, or your kid can have a bowl of cereal, then perhaps it brings a little happiness to a life or 2.

For tea last night we had a version of Broad Bean Kuku, using the produce that I had got from the local natty trusty place. I used brown rice to accompany, carrots, sweetcorn (frozen) the last the cherry tomatoes and some slices of cucumber. Picture here;

With the exception of the eggs for the kuku, I needed to buy nothing for this meal - and we needed the eggs anyway. there is some kuku left for my lunch. Unfortunately one of the eggs in the box was unuseable, as I took it out to break it, a piece of the shell dropped out - like peck damage. I daren't use eggs that may be compromised, so we're going to be back to meticulously checking every egg again. There is a piece of kuku left over for my lunch and some rice to use in tonight's tea.

Tea this evening will be Lebanese Gaspacho with flatbreads. Again, everything will come from stores/what i already have. I'm really determined to nail down my grocery expenditure and stay well within my limits.

We're going to take a trip over to the community centre today, to see what we can see. It's a bit of a trek, but as long as it stays dry, it will be manageable. I'm not leaving it until later in the week when temperatures are set to soar.

I will need to get a TV guide today, and as I am the right side of Greying Town, I may pop into mrM to see if they are still providing a laugh with their YSing of 'bargains' I've already noticed that our local M&$ either price YS differentially to other branches or they are starting the '2 or 3' stage process of price reductions - what a waste of staff time. The veg that I roasted with halloumi the other day was 70p a bag from a different M&$ - our local branch still wanted double that for it, YS'd. However, unless I spot any actual 'barginacious bargains' I think my purse is going to remain shut - we need nowt.

Right, I've a wriggle wort in my possession, so I had better vamoose.

Ta for popping by, reading and pulling my leg......

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 13th Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Greying, I think it's very admirable that even though money is tight, you still find the time, money and energy to make food bank donations.
    Debt Totals October 17:
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 £15,500 Loan from Parents / Now £12,000 £2,000 Overdraft Now £1,000
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 15th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 7,746 Posts
    • 86,445 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Thanks for the Lebanese Gaspacho link. Just made it ready for this evening

Blinking windy day here - wish I had some bedding that needs washing

Tilly xx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon

Time has flown, I had difficulty getting back here. But at least I can.......

Silver Queen - Thank you.

Tilly - hope you enjoy

So, we did have Lebanese Gaspacho for tea on Tuesday, and it's just as well it is a *room temperature* soup, as DH's was, by the time I rescued him from trying to get BG to sleep............ I used brown lentils as my base, as I didn't have a whole load of chickpeas cooked, so I saved what I did have to put into the soup, and used the lentils as the 'carrier'. I also used brown rice (leftover from Monday) in the soup too. I made flatbreads, with sesame seeds, but they weren't very good at staying stuck to the dough - so I gave up. I think one without seeds made it to the front of the pile in the pic!

Last night's tea was a bit of a mish-mash through necessity, lack of vavavoom, lack of inspiration - you name it. We ended up having pizza from the freezer and pasta with a red pepper, black olive and tomato cream sauce (actually yoghurt). I didn't take a pic, as you know what pizza and pasta looks like. I managed an early night

I got some fruit today from the overpriced on somethings grocers. The strawberries were 'local' - actually next county along - and were £1 a punnet. I weighed it when I got home, and it equates to about 400g of fruit, which is the same as the punnet size I got YS'd in m&$ for 70p the other week. i think that the lancastrian strawberries (m&$) were sweeter, and these are clearly seconds - we will eat them for dessert tonight, with a cheeky plop of ice-cream and enjoy them, as they won't keep....... I'm hopeful that the nectarines are as juicy/tasty as the last ones i got from there.

We did pop into mrM on Tuesday. Oh how we laughed...................... Most of the YS'd stuff was organick and still at waaaaayyy above my price threshold. They did get £1.15 of my money though, as I bought some pasta and the TV guide.

It's a book that has been mentioned by Tilly oodles of times and on Tilly's thread recently, so I got a copy of Economy Gastronomy from the little library in the Community Centre. I remember watching the series, I like Allegra and I like Paul, and I remember eschewing the book at the time, as I thought it didn't have alot for veggies in it. Interestingly, nearly 10 years on, I think that there is alot more than I gave the book credit for, and I have a long list of recipes to try.

The other interesting point is, should any COMMISSIONING EDITORS for the BBC be reading this - how about a NEW SHOW, 10 years on? And how about we give Allegra and Paul FIRST DIBS on presenting it again, and how about - Allegra, and Paul - should you be reading this, YOU SAY YES! And how about we keep it simple, background music free and have some real-time cooking, with readily available ingredients utilised, hey, y'know, like encouraging folk to cook an'all........ No gimmicks, no cheese, no 'reveals', no overly-pregnant pauses and NO JOURNEYS!

Tea this evening will be a salad bowl of some description.

Right, I best get on. BG is having a snoze and I need to make hay (metaphorically speaking - I do not live on a farm! )

Ta for popping in, reading and commenting. Much appreciated. As always.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 6,415 Posts
    • 46,801 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I was going to pop on here and comment on the quality and size of our recent aldi eggs. Dh even called me into the kitchen, took the box of eggs out of the fridge and made me look at them, as he was so impressed by the size of them! But the second of the two eggs I broke into a bowl was all runny and a little whiffy, thus ensuring that I had to throw away two eggs. Most miffed. Cannot recall when I last had an egg that was off! (plus, I also had to bin a whole pot of in-date-by-11-days, still-sealed pot of cottage cheesenthis morning). Sigh.
    NST Organise October #10; NSD 12/20; Ex 6/20; craft 6/31 (212); remove 514
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3320/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 15th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 7,746 Posts
    • 86,445 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Updated Economy Gastronomy would be great

I know I've been recommending it for years and really like both of them.

Soup was delicious and I sprinkled finely sliced chilli, finely chopped mint both from garden, finely sliced spring onions to serve.

Night Tilly xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

apple muncher - I'm not surprised to learn that about the eggs. I've been thinking for ages that there are 'older' eggs getting packaged these days. And of course, it only takes a tiny crack for bacteria to get in and ...... Last time I had 'orf' cottage cheese, it was from h3r0n F00ds - discounted because it was on it's use by date, but there is no way that it should have been that off, food doesn't know it has a use by date........

But I feel your pain at the inadvertent food and money wastage. We can't have too many episodes like that, otherwise we'd bankrupt the household kitty!

Tilly - glad you enjoyed the soup - I reckon the HG produce 'completed' the soup

Tea for us ended up being 'fusion' - Italiano Arabesque.......... Is there such a thing? Anyhoo, t'was my salad bowl, so I'll do what I wunna....... The core was a new recipe for Italian Bean Salad that I picked up in a book from the library. I didn't put olives in my version tonight, as our tea last night was heavily olive based, so I thought I'd leave them out. I used some of the 10 Bean Salad beans that I got in MrW in January or February, when they were reduced to 97p for a 500g packet. Bit disappointing. Dried in the pack, they look like exotic jewels, cooked they look grey....... Anyway, I teamed this up with some lemon Bulghar (just bulghar with lemon zest and a bit of juice stirred through), Pugilese Beetroot Salad, Falafel, rocket and grilled nectarines. The inspiration for the grilled nectarines comes from THIS blog, but I've made this salad several times now, and about the only common denominator is that I usually use nectarines! I usually make it with feta etc, but the nectarines were more of a supporting cast in this bowl, than the lead singer The 'drizzle' was yoghurt, miso and lemon juice, not brilliant, but just about ok - I couldn't be bothered to make tahini, so it had to do. Picture here;

The rocket was actually YS'd from m&$ - the day mrL had rocket in their PotW!!! However, whilst the bag was 70p rather than 45p, it is bigger, so I've not been quite so profligate with the pennies! As it happened, DH went to mrL on the way home, and so we do now have a couple of aubergines that are going to find their way into a curry over the weekend

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

a varied diet

watching people interacting with BG and vice-versa
    - lots of free smiles all around today

the power of good

Ta for dropping by, reading and joining in the conversation. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 16th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

End of the week already - gosh time really is flying!

We had our strawberries with ice-cream last night. Nice and summery. We don't always have dessert, but it's nice when it's seasonal fruit

Tea tonight will probably be pizza and oven chips - although I will have to check the weather, it's grey at the moment, but I don't fancy the oven on if it is going to get roasting by this arvo.

We need several things from up the high street, so will go for a wander just shortly. I'm hopeful that I can copy out a recipe or three and return some of the library books that I have out - and I must not get more, I must not get more........

I need to box up the rest of the (now frozen) falafels that I made yesterday, so that they can come in for future meals or future adventures. Good picnic food me thinks I'm going to also try to make some vegan breakfast sausages to put into puff pastry, so that we have some 'sausage' rolls available for any adventurising that may occur I wonder what flavour to make - maybe I'll stick to my tried and trusted 'chorizo style'. I think I've only one roll of the puff pastry left - I've a couple of blocks, but the rolls make sausage roll making an absolute cinch.

Right, I don't think that there is owt else MS to witter on about. My challenge has naturally slowed, but things are ticking along in the background - DH is still on board and helping, so we are moving forward. We're just a little bit like a river on a hot, lazy, summer afternoon at the moment, rather than in full spate

Ta for popping by and reading - APPRECIATED.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Jun 17, 7:10 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

A sunny start at Greying Towers. Think it may be wise to get all outdoor chores finished soonest.

I didn't manage to do much of what I intended yesterday. BG's nap patterns are changing once again, so it's getting difficult. However, we do what we can do.

Tea last night wasn't Pizza & Chips (sorry rtandon), although I did use the oven. But because we'd had pizza on Wednesday, I wasn't in the mood to have it again. Instead, I had a nugget of an idea about 'Smoked Aubergine' - no, I've no clue either Anyhoo, ideally I would have liked to have made a quiche, but lacked the wherewithall to make shorcrust pastry (no hard fat), so made a crustless version instead. I didn't follow a recipe - I actually couldn't find one for quiche - which makes my 'idea' even more bizzare quite frankly! But I used the stove top to roast the aubergine, and let it sit in a bowl to steam and cool before removing the skin. I then chopped it up with red pepper and capers. Used cinnamon, cumin, coriander and turmeric to flavour and mixed in some cooked red onion and garlic. I'd picked up some YS'd Ricotta in m&$ - not a huge discount compared to mrAl and MrL prices, but at 70p, a little cheaper I think - mixed it with eggs, the smoky liquer from the aubergine bowl and seasoned. Plopped it in a dish and cooked it until it was done. Served with a potato/tomato salad, green beans in Italian dressing (oil, vinegar, dijon), the rest of the YS'd rocket and some Tzatsiki. Picture here;

It gave me my 'Smoked Aubergine' fix And there are 2 portions leftover for another day.

Listening to the travel news on R2 last night I was grateful I and my family were safe at home. Reading the local news, I was grateful I could hold BG close and tight. Sitting at the table, eating tea with my husband, I was just grateful.......

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Just what I needed ......
    We took a trip up the High Street, dropped off the library books and pootled around to HB to get a couple of things.

I always have a peruse of the *bargain* (?) bins at the front of the store, and usually walk on by. However, today I spotted these;

At 29p each, for a 120g carton, I thought that they would be worth a punt. I needed some 'wholemeal' type flour to make a Molly Cake, and thought that the Freekeh flour might fit the bill. I think I might have a go at pancakes with the Quinoa Flour. There was chickpea flour too. I thought that it might be 'store specific' with them being in the bargain bins, but according to HDUK, they could be in stores across the land. Just the right size to try out these types of flours, and at about 1/5th the cost of the supermercados, a pretty good deal. 2 of them have August BB dates, the Freekeh, which I'll be using today has a BB November 2017 (typical ).

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 17th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    rtandon27
    oooo - envious of your bargain bin finds GP! I'd love to try some of the weird and wonderful flours that are out there these days!

We find ourselves down to two shops a week these days - the main one is delivered to our door - Mr S basics & value brands make up most of what we buy - haven't yet weened the OH off of his carnivorous fare, so our most expensive purchases are of that variety! The rest are standards such as bananas, oats, milk, cheese, wraps, green veg, tatties, root veg, eggs & some in season fruit (the occasionally pack of loo roll too) - I'm always floored at just how much basics cost these days! Is it my imagination or has everything doubled in prince over the past 10 years?

The top-up shop is at the local village c0-0p - they do really good sticker deals and we often walk out with special things we'd never buy otherwise - a couple a weeks running we were the proud owners of pigildy pies - regularly 4 pounds each - reduced down to well under a pound - the cost of the ingredients would be more than that! OH rustled up some home wedges (inspired by you!) and we had ourselves a luxurious dinner!

Off to peruse the store-cupboard ingredients - you have me craving something quiche-like...
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ay up rtandon

Is it my imagination or has everything doubled in prince over the past 10 years?
    Mmmm, sometimes I definitely think the same. But then 10 years ago, were we paying 36p a kilo for bananas? 50p for 4 pints of milk? 22p for a bog standard wholemeal loaf? I don't actually know the answer to that, but my punt is that we weren't. BUT, do I seem to recall my housekeeping money going further 10 years ago? - yes, it certainly seems like it.

we were the proud owners of pigildy pies - regularly 4 pounds each - reduced down to well under a pound - the cost of the ingredients would be more than that!
    Wel Jel is the response to that! - entirely agree with not being able to make it yourself cheaper. Bravo rtandon

The sausage rolls - that aren't - are in the oven, and I'm about to combine the wet and dry ingredients for the Molly Cake. Rock & Roll, rock & roll............ I'm only able to lead this giddy existence because DH is back looking after BG

Right, best check me pastries!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 42,287 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

I can't believe it's after 10pm. Where'd the time go?

So just a quick duck in and out from me. The not-sausage rolls turned out well. The Molly Cake...... mmmm. The recipe quite clearly stated to use baking parchment to line your tin. I unthinkingly just shoved a cake case in. The cake stuck to it. Big style I've yet to taste it, but I think I will give it one more go, and line the tin properly. I'm also not sure that my mixture was 'wet' enough, despite following the recipe verbatim.

I made Curried Roasted Eggplant with Smoked cardamon and Coconut Milk, which I was surprised to learn was originally a Nigel Slater recipe. I don't cook alot of Nige's stuff. His writing about food is ok/informative/interesting, but he's not really a cook I have much time for. I certainly cannot watch his programmes........ However, I have to say, that despite using passata, because I had some, and not having enough coconut milk as per the recipe, this curry was nice and I would definitely make it again It was the wrong day to roast aubergine, but then it was the wrong day to have the oven on full stop. But as I was using it, the aubergine roasted quietly away. I cut the aubergine into bite-size pieces, not factoring in how much it would shrink. I think I could have been bolder with my 'chunking'. I did like the use of black cardamon in the dish though. I love green cardamon anyway, but have had black cardamon forever and have used it very little. I was a little hesitant, and only used 3 in my dish, but I would put the full 5 in next time. I did however remove them before serving - DH always ends up eating things like that and it puts him off! As it was, he actually commented how nice and fragrant it was, and a mild curry - he liked it, another reason to make it a keeper. I served it with lemon basmati rice and a swirl of yoghurt topped with Nigella Seeds. Picture here;

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

DH still trying to do chores/make stuff work, despite being tired out - he didn't know when he started that a part was missing (thank you internet!)

Accomplishing what I needed to achieve today

that BG finally found their way to the land of nod.....................

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,672Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin