Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,793Posts
    • 41,771Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 49
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th May 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 20,828 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Nom, nom, nom
    Mortgage: 0.94% paid House Deposit Contribution: 72%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 14th May 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 12,028 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Oooooo - have just discovered that the smiley pear boys have a yootoob channel! Fun to watch the twins cooking up their recipes!

(Best get out of pjs before I develop a binge watching addiction! )
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 14th May 17, 5:17 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Ay up mcculloch, talk about books is always welcomed I have been in a different library today, and funnily enough, both Jack's books were on the shelf. I have to heartily concur with you about '120 recipes', but then I guess that was a reflection of where she was in her life at that point, and the professional kitchens she was around, sooooo.......... I think she does economy cooking very well, I think she should major in her obvious forte; but publishers have different ideas I guess, and a gal's gotta eat.

I didn't know Jocasta had passed away, I knew Shirley Goode had. And I am trying to think why the Glasgow cookery book rings a bell - I've not yet followed your link, but isn't it a reprint? and why is purple ringing a bell. I must have read something about it somewhere along the line.

Well, the 'different' library yielded rich pickings for me - I've two Elizabeth Luard books to work my way through now. She's a gal who knows how to make a shilling/pesata/franc do the work of 10. By her own admission, her hubby didn't earn alot, and drank heavily and they roamed all over the world with their 4 children, living in penury, most of the time - although they seem to have had alot of fun and made firm friends wherever they landed. Her book on European Peasant Cookery is a masterclass in using up things - including all the icky bits of various fish, beast and fowl..... - and making a feast for a family with not much moola.
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    I agree absolutely about 120 Recipes, Jack's second book, being a reflection of where she was at the time, it still has much to recommend it.

Your memory didn't let you down, GP. The Glasgow Cookery Book was apparently known as The Purple Book in Scotland, and purple my centenary re-issue is.

Elisabeth Luard has been on the edges of my radar but never fully in it, and now I am compelled to investigate further.

European Peasant Cookery probably, seeing as it accounts for my heritage (Mum and Dad both from Baltic State farming families.)
    I'm also intrigued by her other books, I think these may result in library orders - must log in to my county Library Online and see what they have.

I have a birthday Am@zon voucher from my bro and sis in law that will buy European Peasant Cookery. As for the rest, I have so many very good biographies that having read once, I probably won't read again, just because of the pressure and passage of time.
    The Luard biog books may well be in that category, and realistically not an economically viable purchase.
    Although if I can buy some for 1p plus postage...
    (..... investigates..........)
    Oh well, Recipes and Ramblings by Elisabeth Luard is now on its way! Cost 1p ...

I should really CS some of my biographies.
    Newer bios in really good nick could go to the library to go in to county stock.
    My David Mitchell and Gareth Malone bios met that brief, went there and were warmly received.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 14th May 17, 5:29 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I sit corrected on Jocasta, she died in 2013, aged 78.
    Interesting woman, two contrasting pieces on her:

Guardian 2014 - her son Jason Goodwin

Daily Mail (sorry, not my cup of tea, but this piece is worth a read) - daughter Daisy Goodwin.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 14th May 17, 10:10 PM
    • 7,092 Posts
    • 34,313 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Nice to catch up..glad alls well with the Greyings xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    September '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [August 33%]
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 67/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 13/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for September 01/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • hex2
    • By hex2 15th May 17, 2:15 PM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 79,656 Thanks
    hex2
    Well remembered on that username GP. The others are going to annoy me till I remember.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 15th May 17, 5:56 PM
    • 7,745 Posts
    • 86,426 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    All this talk of cookery books has prompted me to join our library. We moved house and it's been on my 'to do' list but keeps dropping to the bottom. It's firmly up the top now and will be done tomorrow.

Thank you xxxxxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 16th May 17, 8:29 AM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 41,771 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

I've an exceptionally squirmy BG on my lap - this may well be a very short note

Yesterday was fine, but the weather somewhat pinned us indoors and so we missed out on getting a breath of fresh air and a change of scene - never to be recommended. I'm not sure that the weather will be any better today, but we must try to 'escape' these 4 walls I think.

On Sunday, we went to an area that I love, and did a walk that a chum told us about. It was the perfect length, took in woodland (saw bluebells - yay!), pasture and was a climb to the top of a hill. The weather was so good, we could see for miles - up to 50 miles in fact, as we spotted one landmark from the compass point, quite easily and clearly, and it was 53 miles to the north apparently We then took our picnic to a ruin and had a lovely time munching our butties in a lovely seated area. A wonderful day out, seeing places and things for the first time, and it cost us nowt but the diesel to get there. Although searching for a postcard, I did venture into a gallery/cafe and it was just assumed we would be eating to the prices, no wonder they were empty of customers........ They had to make do with a few pence profit from me

Tea yesterday was 'deconstructed' lentil bolognese - in that the pasta was one side of t'plate and the lentil sauce was t'other, Served with steamed brocolli. Seemed less claggy somehow, and I wasn't up for a huge plate of pasta - probably hadn't been moving around sufficiently!

Tea this evening will be baked avocado. I'm hoping to make some 'sausage' rolls too, using the happy pear recipe - I made some last week with the leftover sausages, and they make great sausage rolls. I think that even meat eaters would happily eat them - not tricking them into thinking they are eating meat, they just make something nice to eat. The pastry is yet more of the pre-rolled stuff I get from h3ron at 3 for £1.

Yesterday wasn't a nsd as DH got some essentials from mrL. I've to pick up a few bits today - bananas, eggs etc and will get the TV mag too.

If i can get my act together and copy out some recipes several of my library books can go back. One was definitely a triumph of pretty pictures over substance.

Um, think that's all in an MS vein. Best vamoose whilst BG is only thinking of extending their foot towards the keyboard..........

Ta for popping in, reading, chatting and supporting your local library. All good. And appreciated. By me. Always.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 16th May 17, 11:56 AM
    • 17,802 Posts
    • 77,734 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".
    Das ist der beste tag meines lebens
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 16th May 17, 4:54 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My European Peasant Cookery has arrived. First impressions are a bit mixed, it is Western European Peasant Cookery as it was first written in 1986, and hasn't really been updated since. So nothing from the former Eastern bloc. Nothing Polish, Hungarian or Baltics, no pirukad, roosmanna or koteletten. Tsk, frankly, on this.

Apparently, some of the recipes are very unreliable. Well, this happens, it happened in Jack Monroe's first book when one of the recipes* didn't work because it's a chemical impossibility for it to work as written.

Flicking through EPC, I can still see plenty that I would like to have a go at, and will update duly.

*Diet Coke Chicken, so you can relax GP, not likely to be on your menus. The inclusion of Diet Coke is supposed to give a sticky sauce but it needs a sugar based liquid to do that, which it obviously doesn't have in the Diet version.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th May 17, 7:05 AM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 41,771 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Hi Bear Hi Smilie Long time no-see, hope all well

mcculloch - I hear what you are saying, and I wonder if EPC was the book EL wanted to write, had all the research/recipes for; or whether it was the Editor's call as to what the market would bear? After all, the 1980's were as divisive as today - the 'haves' who may just have been getting into buying cookery books, wouldn't have wanted to be seen with a book with 'peasant' in the title on their bookshelves; the have-nots wouldn't have had the wherewith all to purchase cook books that involved ingredients possibly still hard to source/untried/untested. I think it's possibly a compromise 'beige' book - that would still be a revelation to many as to how to make food stretch. But of course, the most important factor in cucina povera is normally..... time.........

Gosh, I had a full on day yesterday. I made a new version of the happy pear vegan sausages - based loosely on 'chorizo style' sausages. So there was red pepper chopped up in there, red pepper flakes, fennel seed (ground up), plenty of paprika and some smoked paprika (already called for in the original recipe). The one error I did make was to forget the impact of the juicy red pepper on the mix - it was very soft...... but I did form sausages OK, it's just that they looked like..... well, let's just say dog-owners could possibly relate..... I'm glad I'm apt to freeze sausages, as this made it easier to put then into pastry to make sausage rolls. I ran out of time, so they weren't frozen solid, but they were good enough. The mix made something like 14 sausages plus 2 'bits' this time. I used 6 and two halves to make the sausage rolls. There is one small sausage roll missing, as the recipe needed testing....... cooks perk, what can I say? Anyway, picture here;

This 'new' sausage recipe is definitely a keeper for me. I'm really going to enjoy experimenting with flavours.

Tea was baked avocado, and I did take a pic, but Pbucket is slow this morning, so I'll load it another time. I will not win any prizes for my food presentation, is all I'm saying......

Right, I'm getting a rare day gallivanting to see a friend today, so picnic is packed, and I'll be loading up the car just now. I don't know what I put on the planner for tea - think it is still blank. It will depend on what time I get back as to whether we have beans on toast, or a 12 bird roast........

Best vamoose, mucho to do.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 17th May 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 12,028 Thanks
    rtandon27
    GP - another lovely inspiration! - I'm sure we have some yellow stickered pastry in the freezer - must investigate...

OH was inspired by your homemade wedges so produced us some lightly spiced ones to go with dinner last night - he even made some of them just for me of the sweet potato variety - who says romance is dead?
    Last edited by rtandon27; 17-05-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 17th May 17, 9:33 AM
    • 17,802 Posts
    • 77,734 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Hi Bear Hi Smilie Long time no-see, hope all well
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Hello

We moved house in March so have been busy
    I have been reading but didn't realise until yesterday that I hadn't thanked any of the posts I know where I've read on a thread by how far I've thanked. Which works if you remember to hit the thanks button

Fabulous food as always. I can only dream of being so creative

The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".
    Das ist der beste tag meines lebens
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 41,771 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

rtandon - I'm convinced 'love' is in the little things, not in overpriced boquets on days of someone else's (usually big business) choosing! Bravo to OH for making wedges from scratch

Upsidedown Bear - you do make me larf

Well, the account book is finally up to date and the receipt pile is back to zero! It got me to thinking about receipts and how so many shops ask you now if you want a receipt. I realise that folk paying by card and/or contactless have some sort of record, but it does amaze me how - in h3ron for example - many folk, paying with cash, don't require their receipt when asked. If receipts become a thing of the past, how will we return things? I know it's perhaps a bit old-fashioned to return a pot of yoghurt that has turned, and want your 45p back, but what about more costly items?

Well, tea last night was a mix of left-over curries out of the freezer with some leftover dhal and steamed basmati. None of the pots was really a meal for one - well, the black-eye bean would have been enough I think - but little bits put together made a good meal for 2.

Tonight we will be having a buddha bowl using the tofu that I didn't use last week. We need more frozen veg, so I'll get some more today and it may well end up in the mix. I must remember to press the tofu.

We had a lovely day out yesterday, all for the cost of a bit of fuel in the car. We saw lots of nice birds, and farm animals and had a good auld natter, so it was a very pleasant way to spend time.

I don't think I'll be rushing to mrL for the PoTW. 49p isn't super cheap for an aubergine. After the silly 'panic' earlier in the year, I suppose the supermarkets think that we'll think prices have been 'slashed'. I'll wait it out for a YS'd one. There are other vegetables in the rainbow, in the meantime.

Can't think of owt else MS, so I had better get on and do a bit more. I'm setting myself the target of clearing all the 'carp' off the table. That will keep me out of mischief!

Ta for popping in and being supportive. Appreciated, as always.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 18th May 17, 11:00 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I always ask for my receipt in Heron and if there isn't a queue - there usually is - I explain that it is for the Heron thread on here that I started. I don't think I've ever taken anything back to Heron. Many years ago I put the fact that the Heron kebab meat was inedible grey cardboard down to my own stupidity in thinking it would be anything remotely resembling an edible product at that price.
    I had a similar conversation with my DD yesterday regarding kebab meat. Our conclusions were somewhat judgemental so I won't repeat them here.

My second Elisabeth Luard book, Recipes and Ramblings has arrived and it is a joy, a painting on every page. Less in the way of 'must try that recipes' - I won't be trying the venison, grouse or whole salmon any time soon - but lots of interesting facts to absorb and ponder and a few useful bits and pieces. Including a recipe for Anzac biscuits. I love those.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 19th May 17, 12:28 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 41,771 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon

Had good intentions of making it (just) a morning post, but been loading pics up onto p'bucket. Need I say more.

mcculloch - I always ask for my receipt, and tie our heron staff up in knots, as they are so used to asking 'do you want a bag', 'do you want a receipt' that when I normally decline a bag (unless i'm buying them to give donations to the FB in), and ask for my receipt, they forget I've said it and forget to ask me do I want a receipt and forget to print it off Luckily the tills have memories, and can print off the receipt even if they've given me the change etc. Our heron staff are really nice, so helpful and friendly. I got advance warning that the oven chips I buy have gone up to £1.09 in price, as the gal put them through and when i said that the SEL still said £1 (this was last week), she didn't hesitate to put them through as a £1, as the error was on their part.

I don't normally wish that i was 'on' any type of social media - but I wish I was on tw1tt3r, to reply to Martin's bit about finding a credit card today. In doing the right thing HE had to make a call to the credit card company (presumably at his own expense), just like I had to PAY FOR A STAMP to return the cut-up card to the company when I found someone's lost card. In doing the RIGHT thing, the good samaritan has to foot the bill!!! How about the card companies make it 'freecall' and 'freepost' to report lost cards? - especially if you're reporting that you have found someone else's.

*rant over*

We zoomed up the high street this morn, as I had a parcel delivery and I knew that it would be likely to be spit spot on the dot if I dared be a moment late. I copied out recipes from a library book and have returned that. And purchased some lemons and some walnuts halves. How exciting my life eh? Oh, and I bought a lott3ry ticket for tonight, as it'd be a pleasure to have the opportunity to spend a 'little something extra' Returned home with 26 minutes to spare, and the parcel turned up 28 minutes later Well chuffed.

Tea last night was a tofu inspired buddha bowl. I marinated the pressed tofu in; leftover lemon and lime juice (as ib half a lemon and half a lime were leftover), oil, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. I then coated the slices in ground hemp, sunflower, chia and pumpkin seeds. The hemp doesn't grind down easily so I 'cut' it with some cornmeal. This made the coating crunchy, but not stick in your teeth, so I was rather glad I did it - phew!

It got served up with brown basmati, grated carrot, steamed broccoli, and a citrus (leftover marinade) tahini, miso dressing and some more seeds and sumac scattered over. Picture here;

Tea tonight will be black olive pizza and wedges from the vast array of 'odds and ends' of tatties that have gathered in the fridge.

Don't think I've owt else MS or money wasting to report, so best get on with summat constructive. I did manage to clear-ish the table yesterday And i've got better at clearing out the toot in the kitchen. Need to try to sort that, so that I have more counter space. 1 square inch to do everything on is getting me down......

Right, ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 19th May 17, 7:54 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 41,771 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

We've not yet had 'us tea'. BG is deciding that playing up/with Daddy is far more important than snoozing.... they might miss something

I'm aware that I'm down on expressing my gratitude for the great, good, small and significant things that have happened or are going on in my life and I thought it was about time that I rectified that.

I am grateful that I have the love and support of friends who are 'looking out' for me and have my back covered. They stand for me. I stand for them. I am grateful to have them in my life.

I am grateful for the coupons that came through the post from mrT yesterday. They were earnt with no sweat from us, and were associated with purchases that we needed. They are the last piece in the jigsaw and mean that we have sufficient to renew our breakdown cover. I realise, from reading elsewhere on MSE that the days of 'loyalty' cards are possibly numbered, but the awareness of that means that we can put a savings system in place, so that in future years, if we don't have sufficient vouchers/the system is pulled, we will be able to afford the breakdown service - which gives us peace of mind, especially with a 'small' now in the car more often than not.

I am grateful that someone stopped me on the high street today to check if I was 'who they thought I was' and then proceeded to ask after my parentals and wished to be remembered to them. In a world that sometimes gets smaller as you age, it is nice to know that others are thinking of you and send their best wishes. It is a small thing, but can make the difference to a older person's day.

Thanks very much for popping by, reading and joining in conversations. It means a great deal to me. And keeps me on the spending straight and narrow. Thank you.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 19th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Lovely post. Meanwhile, I have my third Elisabeth Luard book en route. Having bought one brand new and one for 1p, I now have a reasonably priced SH copy of European Festival Food that still comes in at under a tenner with postage.
    The book has a recipe for home made lebkuchen. I love lebkuchen. I can see some being made well before December.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 21st May 17, 4:12 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 41,771 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon

mcculloch - love hearing all about your book purchases. I just looked which EL books our library still has - they must have been having a clear out, as they've less than half a dozen listed, and they don't even list the one that I had out of the library from the next market town across.... So it would appear that I borrowed, and read, a book that doesn't exist.... copied recipes from it too

Time is just a whizzing. Can't believe that we've only a week-ish of May left Sorry to not get on yesterday. I wasn't at 'the' wedding Just got busy hither and yon.

We did have pizza and wedges for tea on Friday night, but we ate late and I didn't take a pic. The pizza was fine - black olive - the wedges, which were made up of various tatties, cooked at different paces, and were everything from 'justaboutcooked' through to hazelnut brown all over They were all edible though and all eaten Tea last night was curry. I was determined to use what I had, so ended up with my 'goto' dhal, basmati rice and a new-to-me recipe for the aduki beans that I had in the freezer, (which I had bought 'buy 1 get one free' and had cooked 1 bag in the pressure cooker.) I had used some for a zesty aduki bean salad and froze the rest. I used a Maddhur Jaffrey recipe for the aduki bean curry

I used some coconut milk (the solid bit) in place of the coconut called for in the recipe, but liked it and would make it again. It tasted nice and used items that i had in the freezer or in the storecupboard.

Tea this evening, despite us not having got out visiting for the day, will be 'convenience' freezer fish & chips with tinned mushy peas I cannot say how much pleasure it gives me, knowing that one night each week I have this meal up my sleeve and can have something on the table within about half an hour from packet opening to plating up

I have written up the meal-planner for next week, I'm going to try to make some new-to-me recipes from the plethora that i have copied out of cookbooks of late! And I shall try to keep shopping to a minimum this week. I have food budget left, but I would like to try to finish the month with something in my purse, even if it's only 5p!!! Having said that I did spend money today, I bought weetybicks (36) from heron for £2.50, which I think is pretty competitive, and I got some YS'd bits in M&$ - including 335g of Portugese produced cherry tomatoes for 35p bargain - even cheaper than the mrAl offering (350g pack) in the S6 I also picked up some tins and a few bits and pieces in mrL - I have finally got some red kidney beans, as they have been OOS in HB for aaaggggeeeeessssss!!! I also braved mrAl (awful carpark to get into and out of at this particular - newish - store), and picked up some nappies and mushrooms. Haven't beetroot (vac-pac) gone dear? What's the story? They are sooooooo easy to grow and sooooooo can grow in this country. I've still one pack of beets left from the time they were 29p in mrAl S6. But I'm not paying 99p for a packet going forward. Oh, and talking of 'stores' that reminds me, I forgot to mention that last Friday's pizza (mozarella) used the last of the frozen, grated m&$ cheese that I picked up in....... January? YS'd to £2 a 750g block. We have some of the mrL £1.99 stuff in the fridge, but that is our butty sanger staple fair, but I did use some on the pizza topping this Friday night.

Right, best go and do a bit of tidying up. Today is just flying.

Ta for popping in, reading and chatting about EL - I'm enjoying reading her, and reading about her!

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 21-05-2017 at 4:15 PM.
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 22nd May 17, 7:41 AM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 41,771 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Here we go again!

The weather looks like it is going to be reasonable. We shall pop out and about, to get a breathe of fresh air if nowt else. Not too sure if it is half-term in these parts or not, or whether it is next week. Won't be long until I have to be all over this sort of thing (a few years, but the way time is whizzing, 'not long' )

We are breakfasted, and some of us are showered, clothed and have put a brush through our hair

Tea this evening will be falafel burgers and salad. I made the bread dough last night and I have just got it out of the fridge to bring it back to room temp before I shape it into rolls. I have the falafel burgers in the freezer, and will make at least one salad to go with - we have some other bits and pieces too. I will have to check my recipe index to see if I have a version of a salad that won't need bits to be bought, the salad I was going to try needs a couple of things, and I'm being determindley tight!

Managed to have a quick discussion with DH yesterday about trying to move things forward house-wise. He's engaged with one of my suggestions, so I need to do some research.

Dh has a list to get several things from mrL. So we're not got going for a NSD today, but it will be a considered LSD.

Nowt else to add, I don't think.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,635Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin