Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,570Posts
    • 39,089Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 38
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 7th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 6,049 Posts
    • 44,115 Thanks
    apple muncher
    You know what happened last time you disppeared...

Hope all is well in the GP home.
    NST Joyful July #2; NSD 11; Ex 18; craft 110; remove 477
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2239/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,831 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 7th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 11,655 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Oh dear - let's hope GP is not perfecting her baking!
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 7th Mar 17, 7:32 PM
    • 4,411 Posts
    • 24,669 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Hilarious.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 7th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 17,730 Posts
    • 77,381 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".
    Das ist der beste tag meines lebens
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 8th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 39,046 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    The thought had occurred to me...

Hope all's good at Greying Towers!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£412.21
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 39,089 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Oi! Stop casting nasturtiums about me being awol!

Even if they are hilarious and made me roar out loud with laughter Just the tonic I'm in need of at the mo.

Nope, I've not got a bun, nor 'messed around with' bolognese in me oven I've just been sidetracked.

Baby Greying has gone down with a childhood illness. Hopefully they will keep to the 'simple' non-serious version of it - you do have to keep an eye on things as they can rapidly go down hill, but we've our fingers crossed it will work its way through. I'm sure that we all know how rotten illness is as adults, but when you perhaps don't know why something is hurty, or can't tell mumma how rotten you feel, then it seems worse. We've had help from the NHS and for that I am grateful. I don't think we're over the worst, but here's hoping we're not too far away from that point.

I've also got the moither of a situation in RL that is just dragging on, and i think has become a war of attrition, by the other party. I can't give up - a wrong doing occured and things need to be put right. But when you're dealing with folk who think they're omnipotent......

Thanks for all your kind wishes and for making me laugh.

Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 8th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 25,230 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Positive vibes and cyber hugs to you and BG and of course DH, I hope the little one is better soon without any complications, such a helpless feeling when they are poorly. Your hassles sound pretty grim, but I hope that other party(ies) begin to see sense so that you can have an easier life, let us know if we need to make little models and find out our boxes of pins
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 7,482 Posts
    • 36,036 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    'Messed around with bolognaise"?! The mind boggles!!

Have a hug dear Greying (((((())))))) Hope thigs sort themselves out and that Baby greying is feeling better soon too xxxx
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 8th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 39,046 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Oh poor BabyGreying - and poor you too as Mums and Dads definitely have the worst of it when little ones are poorly, I think. Hope all turns out well and they are on the mend in no time.

As for the other situation, Pah, Pfft, and similar noises - well done you for sticking with it and trying to get the right resolution, though.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£412.21
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 8th Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    • 17,730 Posts
    • 77,381 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Hope Baby Greying is better very soon and your RL stuff sorted xx

The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".
    Das ist der beste tag meines lebens
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 8th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 11,655 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Sending virtual auntie hugs to our little darling bubbee!

And pouring a stiff drink for Mama as sometimes it is just the thing to ease the tension!
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    • 6,049 Posts
    • 44,115 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Hope baby GP recovers quickly and you can all get lots of sleep x
    NST Joyful July #2; NSD 11; Ex 18; craft 110; remove 477
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2239/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,831 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th Mar 17, 8:15 PM
    • 2,439 Posts
    • 19,822 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Get well soon Baby Greying xxx

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 0% paid House Deposit Contribution: 64%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 8th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,782 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Oh bless, I'd wondered if that's what it was... Get well soon BG and may things be smoother, GP.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 46,537 Posts
    • 165,380 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope Baby Greying is better very soon and your RL stuff sorted xx

Originally posted by Upsidedown Bear
    From me too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 9th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 4,411 Posts
    • 24,669 Thanks
    in need of direction
    And me. On the plus side, when wee ones start to bounce back, they generally do it quickly.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Doodles152
    • By Doodles152 9th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Doodles152
    Hope little one is better soon, its horrible when they are little and poorly makes you feel a bit helpless.

Hope you get your other matter sorted too so you can have a little less stress in your lives
    Debts to deal with Cap 1 £3996.83 £3923.43 (0%), Next £1252.21 £1211.85 (0%) Very £294.88 £282.64, Studio £266.11 £256.11 (0%), Halifax card £277.17 £466.01
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 39,089 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Thanks for all your kind wishes for Baby Greying - I think we're corner turning, and on the road to mending BG is certainly getting some of their 'boing' back anyway

I came on yesterday, posted a pick of Thursday night's tea - had done about 90% of the post when Baby Greying bashed the keyboard at an inopportune moment and the whole lot disappeared Given that it had taken an age to load the picture up to Ph0t0buk3t, i gave in and signed out I have just spent half an hour trying to load a picture of last night's tea (Pizza, rtandon!), and have yet to edit it, as it is taking sooooooooo long to load anything. Anyone use any other photo editing sites that are better than Pbucket? - which seems to have lost the plot, quite frankly. Otherwise I'm gonna have to give up posting pictures of us tea - I can't afford that sort of time input, for something that should be simplicity, itself.

We watched the rugger last night. I'm sure it was just me not in the mood or something, it just didn't engage me. Dunno why. Both teams played with passion, and there was some flair and a heap of determination. Probably just me over-tired or something. I have a feeling that Ireland will give everything they have next week, despite being out of contention for the title. And today's match has the potential to be terrific. You know I support England, but I think Scotland have everything in their arsenal to resoundly beat England if they knit it all together, as they seem to have been doing this championship. I hope that means it is a good game, a great rugby spectacle, all the better for, as yet, still being broadcast for 'free' on terrestrial TV.

Spending has been light of late. A few groceries, some stamps and the TV guide has been about as exciting as it gets!

Oh, I was reading that chocolate might 'have' to go up in price, due, naturally to Brexit. So how come those little bags of maLt3ser bunnies, which were either 49p or 59p a bag in HB last year, are already 95p a bag this year? They were slated as being a saving on rrp of 34p (I think), but why the jump in price already? Still, it'll do wonders for our waistlines if chocolate becomes unaffordable.

HB seems to have dropped a few lines recently, I don't know if it is a permanent thing, or just stock cycles. They don't have the coffee we buy - so we tried mrL's version - bleurk! - so, we'll have to go back to mrT's verion for about £1 extra. They also don't stock the small jars of black and green olives for 59p. But I've tried the mrL version, and those are nice, so will get them from there instead. I still ponder what the brown basmati has in common with all the italian ingredients it is put on the shelf alongside, but hey ho, what do I know about retailing?

I did forget to say we'd been to a bigger town along and got some 'proper' basmati rice It was £6.50 for a 5kg bag, which was more than I wanted to pay (mrT), but they were OOS of the one that was on offer at £5 for 5kg, and the one I got was the same price as mrT's EDV basmati rice (5kg), but is 'aged'. Swings and roundabouts though, I paid out more for the basmati than I wanted, but they had the 1ndus brand red lentils in stock, £4.99 for a 5kg bag - which is a brilliant price. Unfortunately, they were OOS of the 1ndus 5kg chickpeas for the same price, otherwise I would have had a bag of those too.

Baby Greying has fallen asleep on my arm. My arm has fallen asleep also. Hmmmmm, better try to move methinks.

Ta for popping in and supporting us. Appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 39,089 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Two teas.............

Probably the last 2 i'll post. I have wasted an hour of my life trying to upload and edit. I think me & Pbucket are done.

First pic is a salad bowl with a beetroot salad, made from bulghar wheat, quinoa (HB), chia seed (HB), grated beetroot (MrAl S6), lemon juice, balsamic, salt, pepper and caraway, with wild rocket (mrL 35p) and cornmeal and sesame coated tofu, with a tahini,miso, citrus dressing.

Second pic is black olive HM pizza with store bought (H3ron, £1) oven chips.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 11th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 12,778 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Glad BG is on the mend and that bargains have been bought. Wonder why ph/bucket has become slow?
    The reason chocolate and some other things are already dearer is that the pound has gone down against the euro by 17% since the referendum and a similar amount against the dollar and I think cocoa and much other international trade is priced in dollars.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,073Posts Today

8,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin