Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,100Posts
    • 45,642Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 108
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 28th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 45,642 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

BusyMee1 - nope, i had not thought of doing that. But I could give it a go with a lemon or two (v small fridge) for February - thanks for the suggestion.

Baby Greying and I had a lovely time out this morning, whilst DH stayed at home and did chores - mould removal We went round and about and up hillock and down dale for mumma's elf&fitness regime, I was a red as a beetroot and all bodily fluids were pumping around like billy-oh. Then we had a cooling down session at toddler pace We spotted wildlife and stomped up sheer cliff faces (from a toddler perspective......) and just about agreed to get back in the pushchair,without a melt-down, despite flagging on the auld 'toddling' bit........

We had fun, fresh air and fitness, and dinnae spend a penny Perfick.

Lunch was 'made-up' minestrone. Using some little pasta shells that BG decided that they didn't like eating........ *sigh*, 2 carrots, 1 potato, and onion, some celery and garlic and a tin of baked beans that I 'washed' the tommy sauce off, so that I could go all poncy and call them 'haricot'........ I had a modest portion, DH had a big bowl full and there is a portion left for my lunch tomorrow.

Tea was l/o pizza, which I was convinced was going to be mozarella, but turned out to be black olive instead. I baked a couple of sweet potatoes - they were actually the original YS'd ones I got in m&$ a couple of weeks ago, and as a result, I did have to trim out a coulple of mouldy bits - but nothing major, and they were still a reasonable size. I made a couple of salads to accompany, one was from the Happy Pear original cookbook (the yellow one) and was Beetroot, Spinach, apple and toasted seed salad. I left out the spinach as a) I had none, and b) I'm not overly keen on raw spinach leaves - I will eat them, but I'm not overly fussed. Definitely a keeper of a recipe for me - I grated the apple (left the skin on) and the beetroot, and I left out the agave syrup (I would have used honey anyway, but was using honey in my other dressing), but did sprinkle in some caraway seeds. Caraway is good with beetroot or carrot and lends a natural sweetness, so the agave/honey would possibly be overkill anyway. I can't find a link on the internet to the actual recipe, THIS is the best I can do, scroll RIGHT down to the bottom of the article. Things you need to know are the original recipe has sunflower and pumpkin seeds in it. And the dressing has balsamic vinegar/olive oil/salt and agave syrup in it. The other salad I made was Greek Broccoli Salad. Again, another keeper of a recipe - the dressing was delish. I didn't bother with feta/olives, and I pickled my red onion for a while before plating up, to take the edge off the rawness. I'm not a huge fan of raw onion. I used frozen broccoli, rather than fresh. As far as I'm concerned, it worked and I would make it again.

Once again, stuff was used up, I bought nowt special for this tea and found a couple of good new recipes into the bargain

Frugal January is going well Apart from I'm over budget

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

fresh air and exercise

DH tackling a much needed, but horrible task

finding 2 new, delicious recipes which use things we often have in stock in the cupboard/fridge/freezer

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in the convo. I'm away to boil the kettle and make a date with 'Valerie'. TTFN.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 28th Jan 18, 10:35 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 8,512 Thanks
    pinkypig

pinkypig - now, this info comes with the proviso that it works for me, but I can only speak from personal experience and can't vouch for them working for others. I have nowt to do with the company, and I ain't on commission (dang!). But I have Dr Stu art's Valer1an plus herbal tea (no gap bet. u and a in brand name in real life) . I got them from H0lland&barrett (other places must stock them, surely?) and I paid (a rather eye-watering £2.35 for a box of 15 tea bags). But I'm taking the view that they work for me, and a fiver a month for reasonable sleep is not to be sniffed at. To be fair, they were the first 'valerie' tea bags I stumbled across, following gien's post, but I did see on a review thread (so can't vouch for the accuracy of the statement) that these teabags have the highest proportion of valerian in them. Don't know if that is true?

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Thanks Greying, I'll give anything a try at the moment, I get so tired sometimes.
    I thought of you today, we had an odds and ends Indian freezer use up - yummy and no cooking

PP xx
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 29th Jan 18, 4:14 AM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 45,642 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Thanks Greying, I'll give anything a try at the moment, I get so tired sometimes.
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Ha ha, I'm no advocate of the tea at the minute - 4am and here I am! To be fair, I think that I left it too long between drinking the tea and getting myself into bed last night. Then when I was at a point of wakefulness in my sleep pattern, I heard BG cry out on the baby monitor. Now for virtually every night last week, that initial cry was then followed by and all out bawl, and hours long baby soothing sessions, so of course, my mumma radar was on a full-state of alert. As it happens, no crying came, so I got up to check, and BG was asleep......... But then I was awake. And my brain cell kicked in thinking about all sorts of rubbish, that is mostly of no import, and definitely not at 2am!

I think Greying and her blessed hormones are to blame in this scenario, not the tea

So here we are. Monday morn.

Getting out and about in the fresh air will be today's priority. I will make sure sufficient money is in the right places to pay our bills. And I need to pay the cc bill.

Lunch will be l/o soup for me. And tea tonight is slated to be lentil bolognese with a baked potato and veg. The veg will most likely be green beans and the last carrots. I must get some muddy tatties out of the bag and make sure that they are mudless before we attempt to eat them!

Right, can't think of owt else at the present mo. So I'll push orf.

Ta for reading.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 29th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Ouch you joined the 4am club

Hope you have a lovely day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 29th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 4,739 Posts
    • 46,820 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Something I tried on Friday that I would do again, and it made me think of you, Greying, was Jack Monroe's Pearl Barley Risotto.

Except that I did it in my microwave pressure cooker, and it worked fine. The recipe is very sparse, and I didn't have feta, or indeed any cheese, so I added sundried tomatoes and capers.

The pearl barley risotto is apparently called orzotto. I can't think where my pearl barley came from, it was either HB or 5pices of India.
    I really, really enjoyed it, I know it's much simpler than the complex flavours you do so well, but some may appreciate and I wanted to share.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 29th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 45,642 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ouch you joined the 4am club
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    WannabeFree - there are some clubs that I just dunna want to be a member of, irrespective of whether they'd have me XX

I really, really enjoyed it, I know it's much simpler than the complex flavours you do so well, but some may appreciate and I wanted to share.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29

Simple is good mcculloch - I like Jack's beetroot orzotto - the recipe was in the Royal Marsden Cancer cookbook and was one of the ones worth copying out. Pearl barley is good isn't it? 49p - 55p for 500g is a good staple for us frugalistas

Well, BG's appetite has returned They are currently trying to eat me out of house and home

I have bought some nar-nars today, and some eggs. Unfortunatley HB was out of apples The eggs are a different brand, (from HB) and I thought that they had dispensed with their normal brand - which can be awful sometimes, how cracked and broken they are. But unfortunately this was the last box of the 'new' brand, the others were the normal brand. Probably all packed in an anonymouse factory on an anonymouse industrial estate somewhere........ But these new eggs do actually all seem to be large, and there were no obvious cracks......

Right, washing up to do. Best get on.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 29th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 6,916 Thanks
    redofromstart
    ...his suggestion is cloud bread! it was weirdly nice! - I picture a burger/falafel patty between two pieces - not sure how it would do toasted though!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Thank you! I wouldn't have thought to try these if you hadn't said. I made them with eggs, value soft cheese, smoked paprika and onion flakes yesterday (great british chefs inspired). After a night in the fridge they taste like the crust end of a danish loaf. So pleased as all grains are a fibro trigger for me I don't know if they set me off as I accidentally also ate several test cookies - which certainly will

GP, hope you had the chance for a rest today.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 50,646 Posts
    • 194,028 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh I love the 4 oclock club~~not.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 29th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 8,512 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Ha ha, I'm no advocate of the tea at the minute - 4am and here I am! To be fair, I think that I left it too long between drinking the tea and getting myself into bed last night. Then when I was at a point of wakefulness in my sleep pattern, I heard BG cry out on the baby monitor. Now for virtually every night last week, that initial cry was then followed by and all out bawl, and hours long baby soothing sessions, so of course, my mumma radar was on a full-state of alert. As it happens, no crying came, so I got up to check, and BG was asleep......... But then I was awake. And my brain cell kicked in thinking about all sorts of rubbish, that is mostly of no import, and definitely not at 2am!

I think Greying and her blessed hormones are to blame

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Awww Greying, you could have helped with my marking, I was up at 4am too . Hope you managed to stay awake today. Xx
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Jan 18, 6:46 AM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 45,642 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Mmmm, slept right through the night once I'd got off to sleep.......Rightly or wrongly, it took 2 cups of tea Perhaps the value in diaries is often not always what is written, but what remains unsaid, about the struggles we as individuals face on a daily basis.

No up and at 'em this morning. But we're here, with 2 arms and 2 legs, so best crack on. BG has already had an inexplicable melt down this morn. I suppose we shall have to get used to it, as they are a 'baby of a certain age'

We will need bread today, and I shall opt to get the TV mag.

Tuesday, so it is soup for tea. I was going to make Greek Lentil Soup . But we had lentil bolognese for tea last night, and there is a portion left for my lunch, so it might be lentil overload. I need to put my thinking cap on, and see what I could conjour up without the need to buy anything new. If all else fails, it will be carrot and coriander, as at least a 39p kilo of carrots would keep expenditure low.

Can't really gussy-up an more up beat post.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 30th Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    • 4,533 Posts
    • 13,369 Thanks
    Verbatim
    You sound rather down Greying. Tiredness with a toddler is a recipe for that! You do so well with you cooking and budgets and seem to be a wonderful mother. BG is very lucky to have been born to your family!
    The sun is shining here and I hope it is where you are. Have a lovely day.
    Vx
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • gien
    • By gien 30th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 15,122 Thanks
    gien
    I'm glad that the valerian is helping in some way GP. The brand you mention is one that I used many years ago when I was stressed - I tried lots of different brands but that one really did the trick and seemed to have the most 'genuine' valerian content, IYSWIM. I think that having a regular bedtime is very important - you mention above that you think you left it to long between drinking the tea and going to bed and 'missed' the right time to sleep. I often find this - if I go to bed too late I cannot sleep for sometime - we have our distinct rhythms of wakefulness and sleep and if we are regular in our habits we're much more likely to get a good rest. My doctor recommended herbal medication called Hova which is superb (basically hops/valerian). this was in Switzerland though so not sure they have it here but it's non prescription.

ETA: I did a quick google search, Hova is not available here but Natrasleep (which is) has hops and valerian in it so should have the same effect. I would really recommend giving it a try.
    Last edited by gien; 30-01-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: extra info
    Trying to keep in budget.

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 2nd Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 13,099 Thanks
    rtandon27

Happy February GP! Hope you are well!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 2nd Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope all is well at Greying towers x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 2nd Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hope all's good in Greying world - just saying, on the sleep thing, it *can* be a symptom of anaemia so if you think there is even ANY possibility that something like that could be a culprit, maybe request a blood test to rule it out? Disturbed sleep is horrible whatever the cause though.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£842.87 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 50,646 Posts
    • 194,028 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Friday Graylings & friends.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 6th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you're quiet because you're having fun

x
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 45,642 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Awww Greying, you could have helped with my marking, I was up at 4am too . Hope you managed to stay awake today. Xx
    Originally posted by pinkypig

Ha ha! Depends wot subject pinky - if it's maths, you're on your own But anything else I'd have a bash at... well, except physics, or chemistry, or anything involving the study of genetics in biology - never knew which mouse was which parent!

I've not been around much, primarily because I've nowt to say really; I'm still struggling with enough sleep (although have been having some improvements lately) and have minor niggles, mostly other folks getting under my skin, that have been blighting life somewhat.

Baby Greying has managed to pick up another cold infection I think it's a bit different to last time - their cough is worse - so I'm suspecting a visit to the soft play being the culprit, which is pants, coz wot ya supposed to do, stay indoors and become a recluse? DH and I have managed to put on our 'grown-up' parenting pants on, and work out a system of being available to look after BG through the night. It doesn't stop them coughing, but everyone is getting a little more sleep. BG is having their second top-up snooze of the day now.

'Noises off' in real-life have been getting me down a bit. I think the phrase 'do as I say, not as I do' must have been invented in Greying Town. Mucho mucho hypocritical nonsense. Still, it's spurring on the decluttering. Which would be going a lot better if the chazzer had sufficient volunteers to remain open on a Sunday, which they haven't, so it wasn't. At least tack has been decluttered to the car......... And I'm taking no prisoners now - if we've not used it in an age - tis gone!

On the food front, things are going reasonably well. The food budget is standing up reasonably well, considering we're....... 6 days into the month I've definitely been better at using things up out of the freezer and not automatically buying 'things' - ie tins of tomatoes or tins of baked beans - because we use them. If it's not on the list, it's not been coming home with us Well, near enough

I've been trying a few new recipes - most of them keepers and most of which now escape me. If there are any that have a link, I'll let y'all know.

I'm keeping up with my exercise, walking most days. I got told yesterday, 'my, you're a fast walker', which was then followed up with, 'are you a grandmother?'. The old fella that asked, didn't seem to believe me when I replied that no, BG was mine, I was their mother, not grandmother. Anyone else think people ask complete strangers really odd questions???????? The upside - meeting people who ask odd questions, aside - is that my weight is coming down, and I've lost about 1/3rd of the weight that I want to lose to reach my goal weight. So the 'move more, eat less' regime appears to be working for me. I'm under no illusions that the last half stone is just gonna get tougher

Other than that, life is grand Although a bit light on fun, WannabeFree - must recify that

Ta for popping in and checking if I am OK. Oh, and to the mser who thought they might have upset me - nah, not you m'dear - purely coincidence that I've been away from the boards. Worry ye not

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 50,646 Posts
    • 194,028 Thanks
    beanielou
    People do ask strange questions indeed ie whats wrong with you!!!
    On a more uncharitable day I want to say none of your bleeping buisiness

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 6th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Ahh I've developed thick skin over the years of having youngest. Some of the questions relating to her being different leave me unable to even reply.

Strangers can be erm strange.

Glad you're all okay .. Hope BG is feeling better soon. Soft play is the perfect place to share germs. Too much for me

x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,319Posts Today

7,735Users online

Martin's Twitter