Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BoingBoingBaggies
    • By BoingBoingBaggies 24th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BoingBoingBaggies
    MSE Credit Club (Experian) different to Experian score
    • 24th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    MSE Credit Club (Experian) different to Experian score 24th Oct 16 at 10:26 AM
    Both powered by Experian, my MSE credit club score is 696 and my Experian credit score is showing as 911.

MSE CC is showing very low affordability and very little chance of getting many cards, where as my Experian is showing high affordability and high chance of getting cards.

I'm not actually looking to borrow in the future, but the difference in score is worrying me. Both accounts hold the same information on me so not identification issue.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 24th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 14,117 Posts
    • 14,800 Thanks
    zx81
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    The scores are largely fictional and therefore have no meaning or will ever be similar.

Ignore both in equal measure.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 24th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 12,462 Posts
    • 11,858 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    Bit of info here for you :

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2015/11/experian-shakes-up-how-it-calculates-credit-scores-what-it-means
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • BoingBoingBaggies
    • By BoingBoingBaggies 24th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BoingBoingBaggies
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    Thanks, i'll have a read of that.

Its not necessarily the score that is worrying me. Its that on Experian i'm getting a high acceptance estimations across a large range of cards but on MSE CC i'm only getting a high acceptance on a couple. However the information is being pulled from the same place?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 24th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 14,117 Posts
    • 14,800 Thanks
    zx81
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    The acceptances are just guesstimates.

The only thing you need to worry about is the data being accurate.
    • BoingBoingBaggies
    • By BoingBoingBaggies 24th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BoingBoingBaggies
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    "MoneySavingExpert.com's Eligibility Calculator uses lenders' individual credit policies to determine eligibility, and does not use the score credit reference agencies give you. So any change to your credit score directly as a result of Experian's recalculation will not directly affect the eligibility rating given by our calculator."

This has answered my question, thanks you.

It seems Experian have bumped by score up however MSE CC/eligibity still has me relatively low (i have done a lot of borrowing recently) so thats explains it.
    • redux
    • By redux 24th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    • 17,509 Posts
    • 22,364 Thanks
    redux
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    • 24th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    MSE's prediction of the chance of getting the same card can vary 0 to 90% on the same day, depending which category you look in.
    • Descrabled
    • By Descrabled 27th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Descrabled
    • 27th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    Club score v Barclaycard
    • 27th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    My experian score via The Club is poor, whereas my score through Barclaycard is good being over 150 higher.
    Conversely Mrs Descrabled's score via The Club is in the good area whilst her score through Barclaycard is some 100 lower in the poor area. Note that her two scores claim to be only one day apart.

Now I know that the scores are meaningless but this data shows that they are actually rubbish.

Both our scores in Noddle and in Clearscore are in the good area and neither of us have had any difficulties being accepted for current accounts or credit cards.

I think we will ignore The Club from now on unless it starts providing useful data similar to that available through Noddle and Clearscore.
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 3rd Nov 16, 12:29 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    • 3rd Nov 16, 12:29 PM
    • 3rd Nov 16, 12:29 PM
    Both powered by Experian, my MSE credit club score is 696 and my Experian credit score is showing as 911.

MSE CC is showing very low affordability and very little chance of getting many cards, where as my Experian is showing high affordability and high chance of getting cards.

I'm not actually looking to borrow in the future, but the difference in score is worrying me. Both accounts hold the same information on me so not identification issue.
    Originally posted by BoingBoingBaggies

The score is separate from your eligibility results (% chance of getting a card/loan). The eligibility is calculated on the income/expenditure info as well as your current status and living arrangements (renting etc). To ensure what you're seeing is based on your current circumstances, I would recommend trying our standalone credit card eligibility tool:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/

This should in theory match the results that are shown in the club if the info you've entered is identical.
    • Marty_P
    • By Marty_P 14th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marty_P
    "MoneySavingExpert.com's Eligibility Calculator uses lenders' individual credit policies to determine eligibility, and does not use the score credit reference agencies give you. So any change to your credit score directly as a result of Experian's recalculation will not directly affect the eligibility rating given by our calculator."

This has answered my question, thanks you.

It seems Experian have bumped by score up however MSE CC/eligibity still has me relatively low (i have done a lot of borrowing recently) so thats explains it.
    Originally posted by BoingBoingBaggies
    This information appears to refer to the MSE Eligibility Calculator (released a couple of years back), but the original query refers to MSE Credit Club (released Sept 2016).

I am also interested to know why my MSE Credit Club score (which we're advised is from Experian) and my Experian credit score are different.

Can a MSE representative weigh in here?
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 14th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    nic_c
    Remember neither Experian nor MSE no how providers will approve you as most lenders have their own criteria they keep secret (lest people try and manipulate their approval chances), they simply are going on who has/hasn't been accepted before.

You can have a 95% chance of acceptance and get rejected
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 14th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    I am also interested to know why my MSE Credit Club score (which we're advised is from Experian) and my Experian credit score are different.

Can a MSE representative weigh in here?
    Originally posted by Marty_P
    Hi Marty_P

Although the credit reference data which Experian holds about you will not change based on the service you're using, there are a few reasons why you may see different a different score when using Credit Club compared to another Experian service.

If there's a significant difference in your scores, it'd suggest that based on the information you've provided to MSE, we're picking up a negative impacting item that Experian isn't through its own service. It is worth taking a look at your Credit Club dashboard to see the insights negatively impacting your score, then finding these on your Credit Club report and seeing if the data matches to what Experian holds on you through its other service.

Some common reasons for differences in the Experian Credit Score include:
    - Timing - your Credit Club information updates every 30 days, so may be more (or less) up to date than a score found elsewhere.
    - Information - differences in personal information provided at registration can results in a different match-up of information on the credit file. For example the amount of address history provided can have a negative or positive impact, depending on the information which this matches to.
    - Formatting - Also, the format of your current address must be correct in order to ensure that all of your information is being pulled onto your report. For example if your flat number is being inputted as your house / building number on some of your accounts and then the other way on your membership then this may cause the information to differ.

If you spot any errors on your report in Credit Club, you can raise these with Experian by using the 'need more help' buttons.

For more information on what your credit score really means, take a look at our full guide: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/what-credit-scores-mean

I hope this information is helpful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

8,821Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin