Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 23rd Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 1,010Posts
    • 2,658Thanks
    crunch_time
    Learning to budget to make future adventures happen
    • 23rd Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    Learning to budget to make future adventures happen 23rd Oct 16 at 8:22 PM
    Evening everyone!

I've decided its time for a new diary after sort of losing steam with my old one.

In September 2013 our debt peaked at £29k. With some luck, a vague budget, changing priorities (kids), and some significant salary increases we have now got it down to circa £13-14k.

I have learned lots during the process but the thing that I feel is holding us back is our inability to stick to a budget (or, more accurately, create a realistic budget).

So basically the grand plan is to smash this 'debt hangover' as the hubs and I call I, as soon as possible so we can start using the money we currently use to pay it off for the adventures we have been planning pretty much all our adult lives. And also the things we should be doing at our age to be financially savvy like overpay the mortgage, contribute more into pension pots etc etc.

I love the support from the wonderful people on this forum and look forward to sharing this adventure with you all!

More info to follow!

Crunchy
    LBM June 2014. Original debt £23,555 vs Now £0 Paid off in April 2017. Since then lost my way a bit and then decided to move house and start a new course...
    NEW LBM: 16/9/17 NEW DEBT: £7232 Now: £6564 Paid off £668
    Dog/New House savings £1519 Long term savings (finally) £840
Page 22
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 22nd Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Afternoon all,

Currently sipping on a glass of wine whilst watching CBeebies (rolling about with laughter emoticon) to sit out the witching hour!!

Managed to get 3 loads of washing dry on the line today because summer appears to be back for the time being.

I've managed to keep within the food budget of £80 for this week!! A great start to my new budgeting tactics.

I had to buy a few clothes for dd as she has shot up since last year. Went to mr m and bought a skirt, tights and two tops for about £20!! My mum is going to make her a few dresses as well for her so that will save me some money. I still owe £124 for clothes on my credit card so to fund this spend I will use something I sold on bay of e last week of hers for £4.50 and another for £2.20 today - less fees of course. I also paid in a cheque today for £8 from a school trip that was refunded and the rest will be absorbed by spending money. Feel very proud of my careful considered purchases!!

In house news, we are looking at 4-5 weeks which is disappointing as it's VERY close to the date I need to hand my notice in to leave work at Christmas. The people we are buying off aren't happy so they are going to chase things their end. Moving is sooo stressful!! The positive is that husband has worked out we will have around £7k in our pockets at the end which will more than cover moving costs and flooring. I'll believe it when I see it though. Meanwhile plodding on with budgeting.

I spend a lovely morning today with a very like minded friend who does a similar line of work I'm leaving teaching for. I'm very realistic but I got very excited thinking of all the pros it will come with. Can't wait to start my new life.

Tomorrow we get to choose our puppy!!!!!! Will have to rope in grandparents to help look after him during the sox weeks before I can quit work at Christmas!!

I'm so excited about life right now!!

Crunch xx
    LBM June 2014. Original debt £23,555 vs Now £0 Paid off in April 2017. Since then lost my way a bit and then decided to move house and start a new course...
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 24th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    All looking good crunchy. Bet the kids can't wait to see their new puppy!

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 24th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning all!

Chose puppy yesterday! Very exciting!! We also bought a few bits for him like bowls and a bed and a lead etc came to £50 ish - went on credit card as hadn't planned on buying them yesterday but will transfer the money out of the puppy pot later.

Had a heart to heart with the husband this am as i hadn't really spoken to him properly since deciding to quit work at Christmas already. He said we should just take it half term by half terms and see how it goes. I've got to treat teaching like a job and just get the work done. I can't do anything until we have moved so that is the first hurdle.

Today we are cleaning, cooking and sorting out stuff ready for the week. Husband is working at home for the next two days so that will make a difference.

Couple more bits will sell on bay of e today so husband can post them tomorrow. Should earn around £5.
    Every little helps!!!

Roll on to husbands pay day on Friday. We have enough food to last us the week so shouldn't need to spend anything until Friday. Apart from coffee which we ran out of this am!!!

Right - better get on with cleaning.

Crunchy xx
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 24th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Just had a thought. The washing machine is sitting on my cc accruing interest. The long term savings - the first £500 is an emergency fund. Do you think I should use that to pay some of it off? It was technically an emergency and not a planned expense.

I'd hate to lose some savings though. What do you guys think? Based on the current plan I'm not going to be able to start paying it off until Easter. If I take £500 off it will leave me with £600 left so I guess it is a good thing.

As i answering my own question?
    Crunchy xx
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 24th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I'd treat it as an emergency, pay it off and get rid of that particular debt. When my washing machine blew up last year that's how I thought of it. And make reimbursing the emergency fund your next priority - think of it as an insurance buffer. It's such a nice peaceful feeling to have an emergency fund.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 24th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 5,492 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Yay to the puppy Crunchie, the kids will love having a pet.

I would say the washer is an emergency purchase xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 24th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Decision made then. £400 paid off the washing machine and another £100 to make once husband gets paid next week.

Gosh its such a juggle isn't it. We will get there.

Thanks ladies!!

Crunchy
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 24th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Hi,

Thanks for popping in my little diary. In sounds like we are in a very similar position work wise and the same job as well.

I'll be subscribed and keeping up to date. I haven't read all of your blog so apologies if you have posted about your new adventure, I hope it pays off for you and you are much happier.
    x
    September 6th 2017 start Updated 24th September
    Credit Card £430 now: £0
    Tesco Loan £7500 = £7220
    Car loan £17450 = £17,099
    Total = £25,380 £24,319
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 25th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Aww what type of puppy are you getting?
    DFD September 2017
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 26th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    I'm going to keep it to myself for the mo as it's quite unusual so I might out myself!!

Another rubbish day at work along the them of 'no support from management regarding being a teacher and juggling childcare.'

Cannot wait to leave!! I realised today that I think I've got another week on top of the 3 from this Friday before I can hand my notice in. I'll check with hr on Thursday or Friday but it makes me feel better to think I've got longer so hopefully I've will be almost finished the house move legalities so I can actually do it.

Just waiting for my laptop to update so I can check banking.

Oh in house move stuff - husband managed to get a cheaper quote for our flooring - £1600!! Not completely sure what that means at the moment as I don't want to count my chickens before they are hatched but that's huge!!

That more rubbish work becomes the less worried about money I become and the more I want out. I'm soooooo unhappy!!

Crunchy xx
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 28th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning diary,

Having a horrendous time with dd at the moment. She is in the cusp of turning 3 and the tantrums are pretty appalling. Our day is bookended by the most horrific controlling antics and meltdowns. I have been in tears this morning and had to lock myself in the bathroom for a break.

I think she is feeling insecure as she now does 3 days a week at nursery. Husband is also away 2-3 nights a week and she is a real daddy's girl. She tries to control me by making me sit next to her whilst she has her breakfast and carry her to the table yet she wants complete independence in getting dressed etc. When she needs help she wants me to help yet she doesn't. I know she is trying to find her way in the world and control the things she can. I give her lots of attention and cuddles but it never seems to be enough. I'm finding it very stressful as I don't know what the best thing to do is. There is just no reasoning with her at all and it appears that she likese tonget cross with her. I dread every morning having a battle abou what she is going to wear just for starters. She doesn't listen to what I have to say and is constantly getting herself into difficult situations where she thinks she can do something but physically she can't.

I'm praying it is just a phase. Her personality has really come out this last year and I don't really think I've had it in mind to take a step back and think about who she is, what she wants and how to deal with her.

We are missing swimming this morning and I've dosed her up with cal poly and put her down for a nap so I can have a break and a think about what we can do to help sort out this madness.

I remember ds went through this phase too but the tantrums weren't nearly as bad but I'm struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Not really mae but it's how I'm feeling right now and did drive me to buy some chocolate this morning.

It seems to be all quiet upstairs so I'm going to quietly get on with some jobs whilst she is asleep.

Roll on husbands pay day tomorrow.

Oh - last night I adjusted our budget to take into account living off husbands salary from January. We will manage fine so long as we are careful. I'm going properly into frugal mode as we need to learn how to budget to make future adventures happen. Lord knows I need more adventure in my life at the moment! Not stuff!!

Have happy days everyone!!

Crunchy xx
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 29th Sep 17, 7:43 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning all!

Pay day for the husband today!!

Instead of paying off a few things off the credit cards catergories I've decided to put the money in the moving pot as we have some things coming up that need to be paid for and it's pointless paying down the credit card only to rack it up again when we are short.

I need to update the signature but there is now approx £1400 sitting in house and moving pot. This will pay for childcare next week and the we will need £750 for the puppy which I will need to take cash out for.

Husband has been away for a couple of days and went out with a colleague and spent £30 on drinks and a bottle of whiskey which have already appeared on his credit card statement online. I'm not cross as neither of us really get the opportunity to go out anymore but pointed out that that is a big dent of our £100 a month spending money which I have immediately paid off.

I do think part of our problem, and I'm sure I've said this before, is him thinking it's ok for us to have a credit card because 'everyone else has one.'

After we move I'm really going to have to have a think about bank accounts and how I can change his atttitude.

Crunchy xx
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 30th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning all

Did a huge food shop yesterday. We are well stocked. Spent £100 but hoping lots of it will last into next week.

Husband thinks we will be moved in about 3-4 weeks which is exciting but I've massively been in denial about this and have only packed 5 boxes so far. Sooooo much more to do!!

We went to look at carpets yesterday and found a similar one to the one we chose which was £25 a square metre. This one is only £17.99 a square metre so will make a saving there. Just waiting for the new quote to come through.its all slowly coming together.

We are having a cheap weekend this weekend. Out today and just have to pay for parking and then Sunday husband is visiting the inlaws whilst I pack or do work.

I was imagaining what my life would be like when I'm freelancing and I can't wait!! It's scary putting myself into the unknown but it's also exciting.

Visualising it is helping to manifest it. I've also dreamed up some great ideas for my blog. Time - I just need to make time.

Have happy Saturdays!!

Crunchy xx
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 30th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Nicnak
    I know what you mean about teaching. The deadline to leave at Christmas is normally the 31st October. I say normally, but it might be slightly different this year.

I'm trying to budget this year in order to pay everything off and get out of the teaching rat race next year. Fingers crossed for us both

It sounds like you are on it though, and are able to do it.

Hopefully you can get across the importance of getting rid of the card, or using it for emergencies only.

x
    Tesco Loan £7500 = £7220
    Total = £25,380 £24,319
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 30th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    I know what you mean about teaching. The deadline to leave at Christmas is normally the 31st October. I say normally, but it might be slightly different this year.

I'm trying to budget this year in order to pay everything off and get out of the teaching rat race next year. Fingers crossed for us both

It sounds like you are on it though, and are able to do it.

Hopefully you can get across the importance of getting rid of the card, or using it for emergencies only.

x
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    I was talking about it with a friend today and absolutely feel it's the best thing for us as a family. I feel awful I haven't been able to get debt free before taking the plunge. In may we only had £2800 left and I think the years of scrimping and saving and unhappiness at work just got the better of me and I went a little mad. You live and learn though and I think the scenic route might be on the cards next year while I try get my new career off the ground.

I've got a few ideas about the card - just need to research them.

What are you going to do when you quit teaching?

Crunchy xx
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 30th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 5,492 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh Crunchy just reading about your daughters tantrums remind me of my DD2... she is an absolute nightmare and still carries on and she is nearly 9 . Fingers crossed for you it is just her trying to assert her independence. I kid you not we have battling her since she was weeks old .

2nd children.. i was always under the impression they just fit into the family life not ruled the roost

Yay to the house move, it won't be long now! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 1st Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Nicnak
    I was talking about it with a friend today and absolutely feel it's the best thing for us as a family. I feel awful I haven't been able to get debt free before taking the plunge. In may we only had £2800 left and I think the years of scrimping and saving and unhappiness at work just got the better of me and I went a little mad. You live and learn though and I think the scenic route might be on the cards next year while I try get my new career off the ground.

I've got a few ideas about the card - just need to research them.

What are you going to do when you quit teaching?

Crunchy xx
    Originally posted by crunch_time
    I honestly don't know. I'm on a huge mission to pay off pretty much everything by next September so that I can take a much lower paid job.

I was an assistant principal, but gave it all up this academic year to see if it alters how I feel about it all. I'm just focussing in paying off debt at the minute in an attempt to have more options.

I'm qualified in a number of different areas that I can go self employed on, some teaching related, and some not. I just need the confidence to get this off the ground and earn a steady income.

How is your venture doing? I understand you not wanting to reveal, but hope it's going well for you.

X
    Tesco Loan £7500 = £7220
    Total = £25,380 £24,319
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 1st Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    I honestly don't know. I'm on a huge mission to pay off pretty much everything by next September so that I can take a much lower paid job.

I was an assistant principal, but gave it all up this academic year to see if it alters how I feel about it all. I'm just focussing in paying off debt at the minute in an attempt to have more options.

I'm qualified in a number of different areas that I can go self employed on, some teaching related, and some not. I just need the confidence to get this off the ground and earn a steady income.

How is your venture doing? I understand you not wanting to reveal, but hope it's going well for you.

X
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    Nicnak - I can recommend a book called 'leaving teaching' by Clare Edwards. Just £4.99 on amazon. Was very good at helping me weigh up the options and what else I could do. It's got lots of really good exercises to go through.

It's in digital marketing which is what I did before I became a teacher 7 years ago. The digital landscape has moved on so much that I can now do what I was doing from home with a course to update my skills. Im going to see where it takes me. Im also going to try and get into virtual assistant work and make a real effort with the blog I've started as I know I can make money from that. I sti would love to teach abroad in the future and would like to combine my interests in learning, global development and marketing somehow.

I still like teaching in essence and think it's a great job but I feel like I'm choosing between my kids and the kids I teach and I'm sorry/not sorry but my kids will have to come first whilst they are so little.

Honestly - the book and chatting to my mum (an ex teacher) helped me take the leap of confidence. Once you have decided 'the big leap' by Suzy greaves helped me to throw myself towards what I want.

Crunchy xx
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 1st Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Thanks.

I've been tallying up my time, and in some weeks, I've spent more time teaching year 11 then I did with my daughter.
    That's when I knew things had to change.
    X
    Tesco Loan £7500 = £7220
    Total = £25,380 £24,319
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 5th Oct 17, 7:33 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning all

Survived another working week!! Well done crunch!!

Both childcare bills came in and were a bit lower than expected. I need to do my sums but I should be about 1/3 of the way to paying cash for the shed move which is costing £1000.

I've realised it's pointless staring at my spreadsheet hoping the debt goes down. Just got to keep to no spend days and keep saving money into the move pot. I can make a proper plan once we have moved which will hopefully be by the end of the month!!

my mum paymwnt for my cc comes out in a few days so will be able to update my signature then.

Crunchy xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,196Posts Today

6,913Users online

Martin's Twitter