Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 23rd Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 1,030Posts
    • 2,781Thanks
    crunch_time
    Learning to budget to make future adventures happen
    • 23rd Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    Learning to budget to make future adventures happen 23rd Oct 16 at 8:22 PM
    Evening everyone!

I've decided its time for a new diary after sort of losing steam with my old one.

In September 2013 our debt peaked at £29k. With some luck, a vague budget, changing priorities (kids), and some significant salary increases we have now got it down to circa £13-14k.

I have learned lots during the process but the thing that I feel is holding us back is our inability to stick to a budget (or, more accurately, create a realistic budget).

So basically the grand plan is to smash this 'debt hangover' as the hubs and I call I, as soon as possible so we can start using the money we currently use to pay it off for the adventures we have been planning pretty much all our adult lives. And also the things we should be doing at our age to be financially savvy like overpay the mortgage, contribute more into pension pots etc etc.

I love the support from the wonderful people on this forum and look forward to sharing this adventure with you all!

More info to follow!

Crunchy
    LBM June 2014. Original debt £23,555 vs Now £0 Paid off in April 2017. Since then lost my way a bit and then decided to move house and start a new course...
    NEW LBM: 16/9/17 NEW DEBT: £7232 Now: £7112 Paid off £120
    HMRC Savings £3222 £0 Long term savings (finally) £840
Page 21
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 10th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 18,065 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh Crunchy £100 on a goose ... i will read eagerly to see how you guys are getting on in the run up to Christmas!!!

I just use a couple of those clip lock tupperware boxes for my leftover portions, I have some big ones and these are generally one meal for us bulked out with pasta, rice, garlic bread etc. My DH will sometimes have cereal or toast after tea too... pests!!!!

Have a lovely Sunday xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • louby40
    • By louby40 10th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 3,182 Thanks
    louby40
    My DP has crackers with cheese or jam for his supper, he'll also eat 2 packets of crisps, fruit and will sometimes have a bowl of muesli
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL
    Emergency fund £670/£1000. Christmas savings £50/£600 Car maintenance £50/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £233
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,391
    TOTAL DEBT (with mortgage) = £109,024 (without mortgage) = £13,633
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 10th Sep 17, 3:21 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Husband also says 'we have no food!' When we do we have just run out of snacks! ��

So trip out to park with no spends today! We took flasks of tea and coffee and snacks from our (massive) snack tin. Well done us!

However, we forgot to get the chicken out of the freezer and didn't notice until half an hour ago so husband has nipped to sains for some breaded fish and potatoes for fish and chips as the chicken wouldn't have defrosted in time. It can come out of next weeks food budget and the chicken can be fast forwarded to next week.

So my flea bay items ended today and I have made £40 before fees to go on the credit card.

Spending the afternoon tidying and getting ready for a busy week ahead. the bathrooms are calling to be cleaned!!��

Crunchy xx
    LBM June 2014. Original debt £23,555 vs Now £0 Paid off in April 2017. Since then lost my way a bit and then decided to move house and start a new course...
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 10th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Just catching up, Amazing news on the mortgage x
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 14th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Just found your new diary after you commented on mine, i'd wondered where you had gone!!

Lovely to see your updates on the house, fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.
    DFD September 2017
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 14th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Afternoon all

After spending a few days wondering how to juggle all our future outgoings, I've just spent an hour or so going through my budget with a fine tooth comb. I've done a % category budget that looks like this:

Housing - 30%
    Savings - 8%
    Holidays, childcare and swimming lessons - 12%
    Utilities - £14%
    Food - £10%
    Transport (car payment, fuel and maintenance and car replacement fund) - £15%
    Entertianment - 3%
    Christmas & Birthdays - 2.5%
    Clothes - 2.5%
    Stuff (furniture, things we need to buy) - 3%

I'm very happy with it. Some categories like housing leave us with wriggle room to allow us to pay off the impending moving costs.

I'm very much hoping it will keep us on the straight and narrow and make us realistic about our money and where it is going.

Right, enough of this now. Must get on and pack up ebay parcels.

Crunch x
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 14th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 6,007 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Your budget is looking eminently sensible crunchie! And well done on having some wriggle room on the housing category. You'll find that invaluable.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 14th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Your budget is looking eminently sensible crunchie! And well done on having some wriggle room on the housing category. You'll find that invaluable.

SSG x
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Thanks seasidegal.

I had planned to rejig the budget like this back in May once we had paid off the loan but then got sidetracked with having a good time and then moving house. Finally found my way back to what I was doing.

I've shuffled around who is paying for what from mine and the husbands salary and I'm now paying for food which is great as we just have to make it to Tuesday and then the food budget can be refreshed which is good as there is only £14 left in the pot. I'm going to have to get creative with what is in the cupboards.

Crunchy x
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 6,007 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I find Jack Monroe's recipes are really helpful if you are down to eating out of the cupboards. I bought her book when I started debt busting and it's paid for itself over and over!

SSG x

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 16th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Oh dear....
    Evening all

I have some bad news (not horrible bad just bad for me).

I had to pay half of my course fees yesterday - £1200!!!! And the other half will come out in 3 months time!!!! I start in January and it will be so worth it but i cant help but fell uneasy about it - that's a lot of money to put on our credit card.

I also received my credit card bill for August and it didn't add up with my spreadsheet and I had a few things unaccounted for that I had forgotten about from our holiday and so on. SO all in all I now have a massive...

£7232 of debt!!!!!!!!!!

And its only going to get worse as we have so much still to pay for for the house.

I know this is all for the greater good and we have decided on some life changing things sooner than we had the money for but I cant help but feel a bit arrggggggggghhhhhhhh about it!!

Husband has told me not to worry and it will all be ok. We are talking about being very frugal over the winter and I will still focus on my new % categories budget so that every £ has a goal and a place to go according to what we need it for. The horns are most definitely in and I will be thinking about NSD's massively. I have decided to record them on my kitchen calendar so I can see them and focus on the good things in life.

I cant believe i lost my way so much over the summer. I feel awful about it and so guilty about my children. I'm going to turn it around for us in a sustainable way.

Off to find some frugal inspiration.

Crunchy xx
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 17th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning diary,

I feel a bit better today. Even though I know it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I read a few motivational quotes on pinterest this morning about debt and feel motivated to get this sorted in a sustainable way.

Husband and i are having a massive tidy and clean of the house today as it's got out of control over the last few weeks and it's making us miserable.

I'm also going to be cooking for the week.

In positive news I managed to post a blog post last night and put it on instagram - I now have 11 followers!!!! Ha ha!! I've got to find my niche and then I can market it properly. I want it to become a money making machine and then passive income.

I also managed to post my music magpie parcel yesterday - only £7.11 but every little helps right? It's also got rid of the last lot of cds we don't use anymore.

Any ideas where I can get rid of an old pushchair and high chair the no one on gumtree is interested in? Charity shops won't touch and I don't want it to go to landfill.

Crunchy x
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 17th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 840 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning crunch-time.

If your push chair and high chair have some use left in them, why not try advertising them on a free site for your local area.
    Good Luck.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 17th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 6,007 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi crunchy - sorry to read that the credit card bill has shot up but try to look at the course fee as positive spending for the future, i.e. Speculate to accumulate! you'll get there!

Also have you thought of joining one of the Monthly NSD threads on the DFW forum. I've done this before and they're a friendly, helpful bunch over there. And I'm sure you could join the September thread now even though it's more than halfway through - just to give you a bump start.

SSG x

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 17th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Hi crunchy - sorry to read that the credit card bill has shot up but try to look at the course fee as positive spending for the future, i.e. Speculate to accumulate! you'll get there!

Also have you thought of joining one of the Monthly NSD threads on the DFW forum. I've done this before and they're a friendly, helpful bunch over there. And I'm sure you could join the September thread now even though it's more than halfway through - just to give you a bump start.

SSG x
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Thanks seasidegal. Yes I do think that about the course but its rather a horrific amount to sit on my credit card before I start it.

I have tried to do that before but don't feel like i have the time to comment on another thread its hard enough keeping up with diaries but I take your advice and i think ill record them on here.

Today was a NSD. Thoroughly cleaned the house and dug up an abundance of green tomatoes from the plant that had taken over the garden. We are going to make some green tomato chutney.

In the tidy up we found a few bits to go on flea bay and one already has a bid on it for £5! So should get some more money to slush next week.

Also its pay day on Tuesday!!!

Crunchy xx
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Worth listing the pram and highchair on eBay?

If not then look if there's a women's shelter near by they are always happy to take things here and you'll know they are being well received and used then
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 19th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Thanks for the advice regarding the pram and highchair - we will be assessing our options at the weekend!!

Pay day today and £281 paid off the debt for food and clothes over budgeting. A great start to the new plan. We are going to stick to £80 a week for groceries which IS achievable if we stick to it.

Contract stuff is through for the house move so husband is currently going through it with a fine tooth comb.

I'm off for a shower so I don't have to wash my hair in the morning and then I think I'm going to have an early night.

Crunchy xx
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 21st Sep 17, 8:01 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning diary,

After a difficult few days at work and another long chat to my mum I have decided that as soon as the house is finalised I'm going to quit my job.

Part of me was thinking about staying on til the end of the year and then having a lovely holiday as a reward (the ones I was looking at were at the £4-6k mark) but I realised yesterday that this is absolute madness and I'm going to leave as soon as I can and set myself up as a freelancer. I know I can do it.

I'm reallly unhappy at the moment and hate hate hate the toxic environment I'm in.

Being at home with the children will make me happy and building something else up that's mine will be the icing on the cake and as most of my overspending is due to unhappiness I reckon our bank balance will look better too!. I'm not cut out for this bull anymore.

Anyway, plans for today involve swimming lessons and shopping for food in a frugal and cost effective manner.

Crunchy xx
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 21st Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 6,007 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Well done on making your decision! You have sounded very unhappy at your place of work. Time for a fresh start? Plus new home as well! Exciting times!

SSG x

• helsbell
    • By helsbell 21st Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    helsbell
    I'm sorry that you've been so unhappy at work, it's an awful position to be in. Well done on making the decision to put yourself first. I'm sure you're going to be great in your new venture.
    SPC 11, No. 062

August 2017 B'card £5006.83 BoS £1086.59 DFD November 2020
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 21st Sep 17, 8:09 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    crunch_time
    thanks guys! I'm feeling better already like a great weight has been lifted. I'm feeling incredibly positive and motivated. Getting back to my old self again. I haven't been happy at that school and can't wait to leave. 34 working days to go!!

Crunchy xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin