Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 23rd Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 911Posts
    • 2,027Thanks
    crunch_time
    Learning to budget to make future adventures happen
    • 23rd Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    Learning to budget to make future adventures happen 23rd Oct 16 at 8:22 PM
    Evening everyone!

I've decided its time for a new diary after sort of losing steam with my old one.

In September 2013 our debt peaked at £29k. With some luck, a vague budget, changing priorities (kids), and some significant salary increases we have now got it down to circa £13-14k.

I have learned lots during the process but the thing that I feel is holding us back is our inability to stick to a budget (or, more accurately, create a realistic budget).

So basically the grand plan is to smash this 'debt hangover' as the hubs and I call I, as soon as possible so we can start using the money we currently use to pay it off for the adventures we have been planning pretty much all our adult lives. And also the things we should be doing at our age to be financially savvy like overpay the mortgage, contribute more into pension pots etc etc.

I love the support from the wonderful people on this forum and look forward to sharing this adventure with you all!

More info to follow!

Crunchy
    LBM June 2014.
    Original debt £23,555 vs Now £0

PAYDBX 2017 - #85 £12,675/£2800 77% Paid!! (Currently on hold due to....)
    12 weeks to smash £5000 Challenge £400/£5446
Page 16
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 21st May 17, 9:00 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning all

We had a lovely day yesterday thank you!! It rained a little but we hardly noticed and the kids had a wonderful time. We are all pretty tired though. And spent at least an extra £100. I need to be more realistic with my budgeting for trips like this.

Not going so well today though. Already started the day with a blazing row with hubby much to the interest of the people in the next room I'm sure!! We are not used to all sleeping in the same room and dd took an hour to get to sleep on Friday with husband and I sitting at opposite ends of the room. In the dark. In silence. Whilst she drops off. Same thing happened last night but then she woke up screaming every 2 hours needing a cuddle etc. So on rising this morning at 6.30am the first thing I did was make a cup of tea and get back into bed and read the news on my phone to gradually wake up whilst the kids played with their toys and watched CBeebies. husband however sees this as a prime opportunity to talk about what we are doing today and is dismayed with one word answers and the wrong answers to the question 'where is the phone charger' ( the answers btw were 'I'm not sure. I think I put it in a bag but I'm not sure which one. I.e perfectly acceptable).

He storms out of bed in a huff that I'm not listening to him and berates me for things I did yesterday (which I'm not really aware of as issues) so an hour of ailing, crying and arguing takes place mainly about communication. Although he was sort of apologrtic in the end, I refused to go downstairs to breakfast with him and am sitting in our room drinking the nasty coffee and waiting for my face to calm down from crying.

I love him dearly but he can be such an !!! at times and starts things up at really stupid times. We do need to learn to communicate better. I think we need more date nights which should be more easier to do these days since I won't feel guilty about how much debt we are in.

I really enjoyed yesterday and it made me think of all of the other adventures I want to take my children on but it also made me think of all the things I want and should do with MY life and I should not be afraid of pursuing them. I'm not putting off things until they are grown up - life's too short. Uh oh - they are back. Will carry on with this later

Crunchy xx
    LBM June 2014.

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 12th Jun 17, 9:23 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Evening all

I'm so sorry I've been away for a while. Life has been sooooo busy and I'm afraid I have taken my eye off the ball a little and as a result the debt has crept up a bit. Ok maybe not just a bit it looks like its around the £5k mark. I feel so awful about it. I can tell you exactly what we have bought to make it go up to that level so its not like I dropped the ball THAT badly.

I am still determined that it will all be gone by the end of the summer. It will be a challenge but its challenge I'm up for.

As of today I have started a twelve week challenge. 12 weeks today we will be back at school (I know its depressing) and I want to be debt free by the then and I'm determined to do anything I can to get there.

Not quite sure what the plan is but I'm pretty sure I can develop one I like planning!

First step today was a NSD. Right, off to talk to the husband and get him on board and brainstorm ideas.

much love and hope you can all forgive me!
    Crunch xx
    LBM June 2014.

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 13th Jun 17, 6:26 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Week 1 day 2!!
    Good evening diary!

I really wanted today to be a no spend day but we had hardly any food in the house as the husband had been working from home and had literally eaten the food I planned for my lunch. So I had to grab food on my way to work - £4.

Also the husband then had to get some food for lunch at home so another circa £5.

Total spend today = £9 ish.

Just been googling 'how to be a saver when you are a spender' and hoping for some tips.!!!

I've been toying with the idea of saving up to pay off my debts for two reasons. 1 - I'm worried about an emergency happening and 2) to ultimately change our behaviour into that of savers.

We are so used to paying down debt and insure there is a saying about how if you have always do what you've always done you will always get what you've always got.

Crunch xx
    LBM June 2014.

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 15th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Week 1 day 4
    Hello all,

I missed a day of reporting yesterday. I was so tired after a horrible day at work I bough a few beers and bits to make an easier dinner totalling about £10.

Today I have been to the chiropractors (£33) and need to do a food shop later at mr a l d I .

Pay day is Monday and I need to pay for our cottage holiday then. The rest of my money is then going into the 'pot' to save up to pay off-the credit cards.

We got a letter through from husbands credit card company today allowing him to transfer a balance to be at 0% for 12 months so we are going to do that tonight. Then everything is at 0%. Woohoo!!

It's also my 3 year anniversary in here today!! Originally we were £23k in debt whixh we have paid off and now we are £5k of new debt which I'm determined will be paid off by 1st sept and we will have new systems in place to ensure that we don't get into anymore debt in the future.

Must update my signature with my new plans

Have a lovely day everyone
    Crunch xx
    LBM June 2014.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 15th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 2,876 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Hi Crunch, nice to see you back and raring to go to clear the remainder of your debt!

It's interesting what you said about trying to find ways of changing your mindset to that of a saver rather than a spender. If you come across any tips, do let me know! I have elements of both, but my impulsiveness often wins so trying to suppress that is hard.

Three months to pay off £5k is ambitious but if you think you can do it, it's an amazing goal to have! Good luck!
    CC1: 3,741/4,200 | CC2: 5,129/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,300/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,732 or 18%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 15th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Hi Crunch, nice to see you back and raring to go to clear the remainder of your debt!

It's interesting what you said about trying to find ways of changing your mindset to that of a saver rather than a spender. If you come across any tips, do let me know! I have elements of both, but my impulsiveness often wins so trying to suppress that is hard.

Three months to pay off £5k is ambitious but if you think you can do it, it's an amazing goal to have! Good luck!
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Hi jojoC.

I thought I would try something different to see if it makes a difference at all.

It does sound ambitious I agree however I worked out that between today and 1st September the husband and I will earn £12,864 between us!! Which is so much - 3 pay packets each. Our actual bills will come to about £3500 for July and August - that is direct debits only and. It including food or fuel or spending money or any necessary purchases. So I can easily pay it off with just over £3k to spare if I take into account food and fuel. It's looking at it like this which makes me feel so awful that we can't just control ourselves a bit more as we would have so much more money to do things we want and save for the things we want to.

I will of course record our progress so you can see for yourself if it makes a difference!!!

Crunchy xx
    LBM June 2014.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 15th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 2,876 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Yes, i'll look forward to watching the next three months of your journey

Wow - when you say that you'll earn 12k over three months I almost collapsed, then I realised that our joint income is the same. Our outgoings are WAY higher, though. Over £3k per month (for now!) hence the lack of available income to drive ours down quite so quickly.

Just think about what you can do with that available cash come 2nd September! Surely that must be a nice motivator?

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 16th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    JojoC - I think looking at it like that (£12k in 12 weeks) will really make me think about money differently. At the moment I have pots of money as lines on my spreadsheet but I rob peter to pay Paul with them and they have never really worked for me.

We really must get rid of credit cards and replace them with a different set up.

Yes I do look forward to having more money at the end of this 12 week plan. We have got 2 holidays to go on in this time so it will be a challenge. I also have to buy things for our holiday such as luggage and beach towels. This is going to test me no doubt.!!!
    LBM June 2014.

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 16th Jun 17, 9:49 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Week 1 day 5
    Morning diaryland,

I'm feeling more motivated than I was yesterday - about getting things done on my to do list.

A l d I shop came to £73 including a bottle of very nice wine. I really don't need to drink as much as I do. Saturday night bottle of wine will be fine. It appears I have no resolve and that needs addressing. It's a habit I need to change.

Today I need to go to the butchers and try and get some of my school reports done while dd naps which she hopefully will. She fell over on the school run so is feeling cuddly and sleep in my lap right now.

In other money news the husband has been approached by a recruitment agency for a contracting role in London (1.5 hours on train for us). I have gone backwards and forwards about sharing this on here as it feels a lot like bragging but it's not but the money is absolutely ridiculous I can't even comprehend it. £700 a day - there I have said it out loud. Of course that's before tax and train travel and he would set up a company and withdraw a salary from it et etc. He is going to explore it of course. The downside of course is commuting to London everyday and not seeing so much of the kids but he said he would do it while they were young for a few years and we can bank all the extra money/pay down our mortgage and then perhaps in between contracts we can take 3 months off and travel around the world and take the children out of school. That is our dream lifestyle. I'm sorry if I have mentioned this plan before in this diary. I think about it a lot.

Any way he hasn't got the job yet so back to the debt busting and frugal living.

JojoC - maybe the secret is only spending money you have actually earned - in term of a change in mindset I mean?

Crunchy xx
    LBM June 2014.

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 18th Jun 17, 8:32 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Week 1 Day 7
    Good morning debt free wannabes!!

I'm typing this outside on my laptop and is glorious! I feel like I'm on holiday this morning.

We went to the beach yesterday with friends and had an amazing time. We spent more money than I hoped but you cant beat icecreams and floats for the children and beers and a light dinner in a beer garden for the grown ups.

I do think I underestimate spending money you know. I need to be more realistic.

Our Fathers Day today is going to consist of paddling pool in the garden and me finishing my school reports at some point as well as getting ready for the week ahead. Ill make sure the husband gets lots of love from his children today. He is a wonderful Dad.

Pay day tomorrow so this challenge will start. I should have £1045. I will need about £350 to pay off or cottage holiday and £50 for the Grenfell tower fund. And £100 in long term savings.
    The rest will go into the pot. The pot will be withdrawn from of course but the idea is that it gradually builds up so that on 1st Sept we have enough money to pay off the currently 3 but soon to be 2 credit cards.

I'm feeling very excited about this and hoping we will learn a lot about our spending habits on the way so we can start debt free life on the right track.

Anyway - have lovely Sundays everyone.

Crunchy xx
    LBM June 2014.

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 21st Jun 17, 10:03 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Week 2 Day 3
    Morning diary,

I'm off work today as one of my children has the chicken pox. He won't take any piriton so I'm watching him squirm on the sofa trying to get to sleep bless him.

So pay day was Monday, our cottage holiday has been paid off!! Woohoo! I have the following money...

£100 in long term savings - not be touched and I can do this now everything is at 0%.
    £400 in a pot towards the debt which will probably have to be dipped into but it is a start. £100 of this is money allocated for swimming lessons as I don't know when I will need to pay for these. I also have childcare bills to pay from this pot which will be minimal once they come in at the beginning of July.

I have worked out that we actually have £5446 of debt to pay off which is making me cross but I'm sure we can do it or at least get close.

I will update my signature accordingly. I'm hoping today will be a NSD and I'm going to make sure that it is!!

Crunch xx
    LBM June 2014.

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 22nd Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Week 2 day 4
    Morning all,

Rough night last night thanks to a lovely mixture of chicken pox and the heat. I'm exhausted and looking forward to a coffee in a bit.

It's that annoying part of the month where we are waiting for husband to get paid next Friday and it seems to take ages.

I'm going to have to do an online food shop for mr s as I can't take ds to a l d I due to the pox.

I'm planning on doing some baking with the children today to keep them entertained. We also said that we would make a summer bucket list! One of ds dreams is to go into the city on a bus so I'm sure that can be arranged!!!!!

I'm very much looking forward to increase my amount in the savings pot next week. I should have £545 from husbands salary. The total to save will drop too as minimum payments go out and I will continue to use our spending pots for clothes and birthdays to pay off some of the debt for items on the credit card. Once all of the clothes are paid off I shall start saving that money ready for autumn clothes.

So apart from a online food shop, I'm gunning for a no spend day!!

Crunchy xx
    LBM June 2014.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 22nd Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 2,876 Thanks
    JoJoC
    There's nothing worse than trying to get through the night when the kids are unwell, Crunch. Hope the coffee straightens you out, even just for a bit. I think once the spots are out with the pox they're no longer contagious so if you want/ need to go out then you can. It may be that you don't want to drag poorly kids out of the house if they're suffering, but just thought I'd mention it.

I'm also in the yawn-worthy wait until payday next Thursday - my husband gets paid weekly in between times but I love the feeling of my monthly pay going in and the month starting all over again. I don't know why I get excited about pay day since most of the cash just goes straight out on bills, but it's still a nice feeling.

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 23rd Jun 17, 7:30 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Week 2 day 5
    Morning all

We ended up going to my parents yesterday as a change of scene. We had a better night last night. He was only up twice for cream and cuddles. He's still asleep at the moment. Hopefully we have peaked now and this is the come down.

I had a little trying on session yesterday of my clothes and I think I do have to buy a few more bits for a summer wardrobe. I'm struggling for things to wear that are suitable for work when it is warm. So I think a few strategic pieces like a pair of leggings to wear under my summer dresses and a pair of looser trousers will make a difference.

We have a quiet weekend planned. Maybe I could go to sains or h of the m on Sunday for these items. I was going to be going out with friends tomorrow night but it's being rearranged. Husband is also leaving for an international conference on Sunday afternoon. Feel sad but eager to get through the next working week.

Only 4 weeks left of term!!!! Can't wait for the summer holidays. The children and I are going to put together a summer bucket list of cheap or free things to do.

I did a meal plan for the next week and a sains shop to be delivered today. I remembers to renew my library books too so only a 40p fine so far!!

Right, better get on with the dAy. Isn't it nice that it's so light!! It would take me ages to get motivated in the winter!

1 week till payday and counting....
    Crunchy xx
    LBM June 2014.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,352Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter