Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • applepicker
    • By applepicker 18th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 7Thanks
    applepicker
    How do people do things at work?
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    How do people do things at work? 18th Oct 16 at 11:59 PM
    Been looking into different options.?

Running your business- how do most people record their outgoings and ingoings? use excel?

Is it better to use a new bank account and use only that for business use and money paid in and not mix up with other bank accounts?
    Last edited by applepicker; 25-10-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Page 1
    • dktreesea
    • By dktreesea 19th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 5,310 Posts
    • 8,018 Thanks
    dktreesea
    • 19th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    Been looking into different options. If you do tax credits do you need to register with hmrc? If so, how do you do this?

Running your business- how do you record your outgoings and ingoings? use excel?

Is it better to use a new bank account and use only that for business use and money paid in and not mix up with other bank accounts?
    Originally posted by applepicker

Yes, you need to contact HMRC and register as self employed. This is where to do it:
    https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader

Excel is fine for recording your revenue and expenses. Make sure you keep all receipts. It's also, I find, a good idea to not pay for things with cash if it doesn't cost any extra to use a card. Less messy when it comes to doing the accounting/keeping records.

Yes, a separate bank account is a good idea. Ours doesn't charge us a transaction fee for electronically booked revenue and expenses - we tend not to use cash or sell anything for cash. there's usually a monthly fee though. Shouldn't be more than £5 to £10. Avoid banks that are not doing very well. We were originally with RBS but they charged us an arm and a leg.
    • NYM
    • By NYM 19th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    NYM
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    So basically if you are starting out right now you need to contact HMRC and register as a sole trader NOW and apply for tax credits at the same time?

Then that's it until January 2018 when I do a self-assessment or tax return form?

In between, just write down all the money I get paid and the money I spend on work related items? Keep receipts..

I don't want to mess this up as I heard they come after you if you make mistakes.
    Originally posted by applepicker

Not quite...

Read this link - New rules for Self employed claiming WTC
    and this one - How Tax Credits work for Self Employed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

693Posts Today

4,164Users online

Martin's Twitter