Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zen12345
    • By Zen12345 18th Oct 16, 11:16 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Zen12345
    Proof of address car insurance help!!
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:16 PM
    Proof of address car insurance help!! 18th Oct 16 at 11:16 PM
    Hello guys, I hope you can help.

My insurance have rang me up asking for my proof of address as to where
    My car was kept overnight.

I have the vo5 document to prove this however they need to see a utility bill or a bank statement at this address ( bank statement needs to show from the address at the time the card was registered to at the time of taking the insurance out.

My insurance rang me and said when I was taking out the insurance policy, when entering my card details I put in an address first ( which was my mothers address ) and it failed. Then I entered my details at my brothers address ( the place I stay at overnight along with the car)
    And it worked )

They're basically trying to say I changed the address to get a lower premium rate and I need a bank statement confirming my address was at the actual place the car was I contacted my bank about this who said that as my correspondence address is at my mothers the statements are sent there however my main address will be different (showing my brothers)

My licence is also registered to my mothers and so is all my other bills as moving out was meant to be on a temporary basis with my brother.

Also his name is on the tenancy and on all the bills therefore I am unable to provide a utility bill, tenancy agreement or council tax letters. My brother and his girlfriend are expecting there first child, therefore he has just moved out this past week but has the keys for another 2 weeks.

I am moving back to my mothers now until I can find my own place.

I don't know how I can prove to them the car was there. ( believe
    Me it was)

Would getting proof and writing from my brother with a signature provide any help with my insurance?

Otherwise I don't really have much I can provide to them which is annoying as I don't want my insurance to be voided over something like this. There must be another way I can prove this.

Thank you guys, please help!
    Last edited by Zen12345; 18-10-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: To say thank you
Page 1
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 18th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 19,743 Posts
    • 12,111 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    Do you have any correspondence eg your wage slips etc sent to your brother's address?
    • Zen12345
    • By Zen12345 18th Oct 16, 11:33 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zen12345
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:33 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:33 PM
    My wage slips are only available via my work online portal which is addressed to the company's address so it's all online.

It doesn't show my address however this would also be at my mothers.

However I have no other correspondence which is sent to my brothers address. I never knew would be such a big problem.

My car was recently written off and I have been paid for this. Can they demand the payment back from me? The claim is yet to be fully settled.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 18th Oct 16, 11:58 PM
    • 19,743 Posts
    • 12,111 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:58 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:58 PM
    Which address is your licence at?

You mention your bank have your address as your brother's but your correspondence address as your mother's. Is your brother's address the address on your credit file?

Which address are you on the electoral role at?

Do you know what has prompted your Insurer to suddenly review your quote?
    • Zen12345
    • By Zen12345 19th Oct 16, 12:32 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zen12345
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:32 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:32 AM
    my credit file address, licence and electoral roll would be listed at my mothers address aswell.

The reason being is I never intended this to be an address I would be staying at longer than a month or two however I've now been here for quite a while. However I do stay at my mothers sometimes as she is very ill and visit everyday as its close to my work address than my home address.

I'm unsure as to why they did the checks on me, however they mentioned when I first laid the deposit for my insurance I first attempted to input my mothers address at the billing address and that didn't allow me to take insurance out, however when I changed it to my brothers my actual place of stay it went through. On my part that was but a simple mistake but in no way was that intended or done fraudulently.

Also I've also been in a crash and the other car hit me and wrote my car off. Therefore they paid me out but they still need to confirm full liability details therefore it's still on going.
    Last edited by Zen12345; 19-10-2016 at 12:36 AM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 30,266 Posts
    • 14,362 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    If as a result of their investigation they decide they can void your policy from its inception then they can pursue you to refund the payment you received

Though hopefully the liable third party had insurance and they have paid your insurer their outlay.

Have you got your excess reimbursed?
    • Zen12345
    • By Zen12345 19th Oct 16, 10:28 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zen12345
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:28 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:28 AM
    They haven't reimbursed my excess as of yet however the third party insurance has claimed full liability for the accident. I've only actually just been told that by the solicitors who are dealing with the injuries
    • rs65
    • By rs65 19th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    rs65
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:33 PM

They're basically trying to say I changed the address to get a lower premium rate
    Originally posted by Zen12345
    They will know what quotes you got.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 19th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    rs65
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    my credit file address, licence and electoral roll would be listed at my mothers address aswell.

The reason being is I never intended this to be an address I would be staying at longer than a month or two however I've now been here for quite a while.
    So you changed address on your V5C but not on anything else?
    • Zen12345
    • By Zen12345 19th Oct 16, 4:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zen12345
    So you changed address on your V5C but not on anything else?
    Originally posted by rs65
    That's correct due to the change not being permanent, there was no need for me as I have all my correspondence at my mothers house.

It's okay if they can see my quotes because I simply put in my correspondence address and changed that while applying. However they may think different.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 19th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    rs65
    That's correct due to the change not being permanent, there was no need for me as I have all my correspondence at my mothers house.
    So why did you change your V5C?
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 19th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    Unfortunately there are way too many people doing the postcode lottery regarding insurance quotes .
    Whether you have intentionally mislead them or not , it won't look great.
    As a rule most people of driving age reside at one place and have mail sent there and accounts registered for phones and banks etc .
    My father in law lives in blackpool which halves my manchester premium , I have looked out of curiosity , but would never dream of giving them an excuse to get out of a payout.
    An insurance policy is alot more than just a piece of paper or an email that you pay for , when the shi7 hits the fan they dig deep , and that initial saving isn't so great after all ?
    • Zen12345
    • By Zen12345 20th Oct 16, 12:37 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zen12345
    I changed the v5c solely for the purpose as a confirmation this was where the car is registered and kept over night
    • Zen12345
    • By Zen12345 20th Oct 16, 12:42 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zen12345
    Unfortunately there are way too many people doing the postcode lottery regarding insurance quotes .
    Whether you have intentionally mislead them or not , it won't look great.
    As a rule most people of driving age reside at one place and have mail sent there and accounts registered for phones and banks etc .
    My father in law lives in blackpool which halves my manchester premium , I have looked out of curiosity , but would never dream of giving them an excuse to get out of a payout.
    An insurance policy is alot more than just a piece of paper or an email that you pay for , when the shi7 hits the fan they dig deep , and that initial saving isn't so great after all ?
    Originally posted by Mr Poves

I understand what you're saying. However, I never had really thought about it to be a problem at the time.

The thing is my brothers address is only 15 minutes away and the premium amount was marginally different, say 100 pound? Paid Nearly £1500.

Can they void me for only having the v5 document?

Or maybe I can ask my bank for some proof of confirmation although that's not likely..
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 20th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Just be honest with the insurers and try and work something out, but It doesn't look from the insurers point of view,

just because your mother's address didn't work doesn't mean you should try other addresses. Maybe it happened for a reason, perhaps your mother's area has high rates of claims and hence uninsurable.

You should always put your driving license address to the where the car will be residing.

https://www.gov.uk/dvla-change-address

I hope it works out for you.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 20th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 7,914 Posts
    • 22,510 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    I understand what you're saying. However, I never had really thought about it to be a problem at the time.

The thing is my brothers address is only 15 minutes away and the premium amount was marginally different, say 100 pound? Paid Nearly £1500.

Can they void me for only having the v5 document?

Or maybe I can ask my bank for some proof of confirmation although that's not likely..
    Insurance where I live is cheaper than where my mother lives, 6 miles away.

If you go not a lot further South, then I've heard of quite a few drivers/cars being referred, depending on the company.

This is why it doesn't look good.
    "We thought that everything the Soviet government told us about capitalism was a lie. Imagine the shock when we discovered that all of it was absolutely true."

"I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Next stop: Valetta, Vienna, Sofia
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 20th Oct 16, 9:40 AM
    • 30,266 Posts
    • 14,362 Thanks
    Quentin
    You should always put your driving license address to the where the car will be residing.......
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Poor advice.

The address on your driving licence is irrelevant to your car's "residence"!

eg. You might be at UNI, where your car is kept. Your driving licence would be your home address, and your car would be registered at your home address!

(Your DVLA "address" is where you can be contacted)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

1,373Users online

Martin's Twitter