Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Namibia63
    • By Namibia63 18th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Namibia63
    EasyJet Cancellation - Proposed Greek Air Traffic Strike
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    EasyJet Cancellation - Proposed Greek Air Traffic Strike 18th Oct 16 at 10:32 PM
    Good evening,
    I am hoping to get some clarity on the events surrounding the Easyjet Flight Cancellations on the weekend of the 8th & 9th of October.
    The background to this was, that Greek Air Traffic were threatening Strike Action on the 9th, 10th, 12th & 13th of October.
    As a result of this threat Easyjet cancelled many flights out of Greece, including ours on Sat 8th @ 22:00.
    The Strike Action was subsequently cancelled sometime on the Saturday, but all too late for us.
    EasyJet had already decided to cancel, and we were stuck.
    The earliest return flight we could get, was Tue 11th October.

So, my first action on returning was to submit a Claim via the Easyjet website for EU261 Compensation.
    To date, I have been refused twice by EasyJet with the following explanation, for a Strike that never took place !

'In regards to your email, I would like to inform you that I have rechecked the Flight Disruption Report and it states that flight EZY8784was cancelled due to GREEK ATC STRIKE issue. This circumstance is known as EXTRAORDINARY reason.

As per EU261 Regulations Act, If flight is cancelled due to EXTRAORDINARY reason then compensation is not payable'.

I obviously lay the blame completely at EasyJet, but who is right ?
    In addition, I will be submitting an Expenses Claim for 3 Days Hotel, Food & Lost Leave Days, but confidence is low.
    This episode has cost the Family over £500, through no fault of our own.
    All help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • byron47
    • By byron47 18th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    byron47
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    I am in the same boat was also on the gatwick flight from Kos on the 8th and came home on the11th but as I see it the flight should of left at 22.05 and the strike was that never was was from midnight so we shouldofbeen1/2 way home the flight from Kos to Glasgow at2130wasn't cancelled !!!!
    Last edited by byron47; 18-10-2016 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 19th Oct 16, 8:02 AM
    • 9,967 Posts
    • 6,523 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:02 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:02 AM
    In addition, I will be submitting an Expenses Claim for 3 Days Hotel, Food & Lost Leave Days, but confidence is low.
    Originally posted by Namibia63
    your accommodation and meals during the wait are covered under EU261 Duty of care and applies irrespective of the reason for the delay/cancellation so that should be fairly painless.
    You would need to check what your travel insurance covers for "lost leave days" as this is not something that airlines cover
    • Namibia63
    • By Namibia63 21st Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Namibia63
    • 21st Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    • 21st Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    Thanks Caz, I'll let everyone know how I get on.
    I'm guessing it affected thousands, so as ever, I won't be holding my breath for a quick result.
    • Namibia63
    • By Namibia63 28th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Namibia63
    • 28th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 28th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    I'm stunned, and can hardly believe it.

I submitted a claim to Easyjet for 517.61 Euros, no more than a week ago.
    A cheque for £460.58 arrived this morning.
    A perfect return !!!

Chapeau / Hats Off to Easyjet
    I couldn't have asked for a better service,...... well apart from the plane turning up in the first place. :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

2,186Users online

Martin's Twitter