Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Wilcouk
    • By Wilcouk 18th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 7Thanks
    x2 PCN Hammersmith Council
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    x2 PCN Hammersmith Council 18th Oct 16 at 10:01 PM
    Hi there,

i have 2 PCN's from Hammersmith council, one i could probably agree with and another one on the same sorta line but i feel very annoyed by it. where i park is usually a controlled zone from 9am > 5pm.

first one - I parked at 16.45 and went to get change for the ticket machine, would be like £1.20 max and i didn't have that on me, Tesco round the corner so came back couple of minutes later and voila got myself a ticket, i appealed this and explained that i had to get change, the email i received from the council was this

- Dear Mr Williams
    Challenge Refused
    Penalty Charge Notice :
    Date of Contravention : 14/09/2016 at 16:47
    Vehicle Registration :
    Thank you for writing to us about the above Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).
    I have considered what you have said and all the available evidence, but I do not agree
    that we should cancel your liability for this PCN.
    This PCN was issued because the vehicle was parked in a shared use parking place
    without clearly displaying either a valid parking permit or a valid pay and display ticket for
    that place.
    The controlled hours in the area are 9am to 5pm Monday to Saturday. The PCN was
    issued on 14/09/2016 at 16:47 hours.
    There are signs in each street which show the parking restrictions. The restrictions are
    also shown on the pay and display machines.
    Drivers have a responsibility to check for parking signs and markings and to park in
    accordance with them. I am therefore satisfied that the PCN was correctly issued.
    I have noted your comments, however, as previously advised, the regulations require that
    a driver must make payment of an initial charge immediately upon placing his/her
    vehicle in the parking bay. The matter has been subject to a High Court decision, when it
    has held that the only time available to a driver in which to make payment of the initial
    charge is that required to get out of the vehicle walk to a meter and insert a coin. It is the
    responsibility of the driver to ensure that they have the correct change available before
    parking the vehicle. I am therefore satisfied that this PCN was issued correctly within the
    If you wish to pay at the discounted rate of £65.00, you may still do so, provided we
    receive your £65.00 payment within 14 days of the date of this letter. THIS OFFER WILL
    NOT BE REPEATED. Once these 14 days have expired, the full charge of £130.00 will
    become due.
    Okay so i doubt i have much of a case here? however the next one has got me...

so i went to park, they introduced a Ringo App where i can pay by phone, which is fine, i left the car for literally 5 mins as i had to mess around with the card settings by adding a new card etc in the app, got round to paying for the hour at 16.10 (receipt to prove that i paid) and came back to the car and found out that i infact got a ticket at 16.09! apparently viewed my car from 16.03 > 16.09, i didn't see a Parking Officer when i pulled up so i highly doubt that one.

Is there any help on council tickets?
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 10,477 Posts
    • 15,571 Thanks
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    As we tend to major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work) and post a new thread; here's your link:

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

PePiPoo has an excellent success record in dealing with council tickets.

You might also like to read this article which contains links to a DIY robot to appeal council tickets. How effective it is has been questioned - take a look and make your own mind up.

NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,272Posts Today

7,785Users online

Martin's Twitter