Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • navidson
    • By navidson 18th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 17Thanks
    navidson
    Washing Machine Broken?
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    Washing Machine Broken? 18th Oct 16 at 9:59 PM
    I have just done a load of washing, and at the very end of the spin cycle, the machine became incredibly loud - Once the cycle had finished I set the machine to off, and after a couple of minutes I could open the machine and remove the clothes from inside

It now seems that the drum will hardly rotate by hand, when previously it was quite easy to rotate

Has anybody else had a similar problem and managed to come up with a fix for it?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Page 1
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 18th Oct 16, 11:11 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:11 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:11 PM
    First determine which is stopping it rotating - the drum or the motor. Remove the belt & see which moves freely. Whichever is still stiff is the problem. Motor - probably needs a new one. Drum - could be something caught or bearings gone.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 19th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    Are you missing a bra underwire by any chance?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 19th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    Are you missing a bra underwire by any chance?
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    They just usually make a ticking noise. It gets interesting though when you show it to the lady of the house & she tells you she doesn't use underwired bras but she has been away for a while & left her husband home alone.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 19th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    key, screws, coins anything out of a pocket can get jammed between the drum and the surrounding enclosure. I normally take the heating element out and try and get the object out from there. Sometimes they just get caught in the lip near the door.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 19th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 3,867 Thanks
    prosaver
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    i think the bearings have gone, if its under afewyears old the shop where you bought it should send a engineer around to replace the drum...happened to me, funny thing was he mentioned the bra wire thing and if it caused the problem i would have to pay for the repair,drum...
    project fear was around then and that was 10 years ago
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 19th Oct 16, 4:16 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 19th Oct 16, 4:16 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 4:16 PM
    i think the bearings have gone, if its under afewyears old the shop where you bought it should send a engineer around to replace the drum...happened to me, funny thing was he mentioned the bra wire thing and if it caused the problem i would have to pay for the repair,drum...
    project fear was around then and that was 10 years ago
    Originally posted by prosaver
    really? why do you think the bearings have gone? generally when bearing go the drum seizes any will not turn at all.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 19th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 3,867 Thanks
    prosaver
    • 19th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    really? why do you think the bearings have gone? generally when bearing go the drum seizes any will not turn at all.
    Originally posted by tonyh66
    my bearings went on the drum and it made a helluva noise and it was difficult to turn by hand. it was like a grating sound and when it was on full spin i thought it was going to take off..
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • navidson
    • By navidson 19th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    navidson
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    my bearings went on the drum and it made a helluva noise and it was difficult to turn by hand. it was like a grating sound and when it was on full spin i thought it was going to take off..
    Originally posted by prosaver
    I think it might be the bearings - The drum takes a great deal of force to move by hand and sounded like the apocalypse - I'll get an engineer round tomorrow!

Any idea how much a call-out and bearing replacement would cost on average?
    Last edited by navidson; 19-10-2016 at 9:14 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,211Posts Today

6,523Users online

Martin's Twitter