Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • runner2014
    • By runner2014 18th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 1,133Thanks
    runner2014
    Best credit card advice ever!!
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    Best credit card advice ever!! 18th Oct 16 at 9:15 PM
    Go into the kitchen, open the drawer get the scissors. Get your credit card, place between scissor blades. CUT ONCE, cut again and again. Gather the pieces and place in the bin.

YOU HAVE NOW GOT RID OF YOUR CARD. NOW YOU HAVE TO STRUGGLE FOR A BIT, BUT SAVE A FEW HUNDRED £. THIS SHOULD BE SEPERATED FROM YOUR MAIN ACCOUNT. THIS IS YOUR CREDIT LIMIT. YOU CAN DIP IN AND OUT, AND PAY MONTHLY PAYMENTS TO YOURSELF, TO GET IT BACK TO MAX AMOUNT AVAILABLE. YOU CAN EXTEND YOUR LIMIT BY ADDING SOME NEW FUNDS TO THE BALANCE. IT IS ZERO INTEREST LENDING.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 9,350 Posts
    • 9,180 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    Or better still - get a card that pays cashback, pay off in full each month and have some self control.

Hey presto - monthly interest free loans and free cash.
    • mrmajika
    • By mrmajika 18th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    mrmajika
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    You are wrong on so many levels that it's hard to know where to begin, so I won't bother.

Happy snipping! ☺
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right!
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 18th Oct 16, 10:10 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:10 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:10 PM
    How is it that the OP has made 10 posts but received 560 thanks?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 18th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    How is it that the OP has made 10 posts but received 560 thanks?
    Originally posted by TheShape
    OP posts to competition forum. Thanking there seems common.
    • gwapenut
    • By gwapenut 18th Oct 16, 11:09 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    gwapenut
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:09 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:09 PM
    I knew this was going to be patronising as soon as I saw the thread title!
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 18th Oct 16, 11:37 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:37 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:37 PM
    OP posts to competition forum. Thanking there seems common.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Didn't get any here.

It's a real mix here on the forums, some people doing surveys for pennies, some terrified of debt, others stoozing tens of thousands.
    • m4rc
    • By m4rc 19th Oct 16, 1:07 AM
    • 301 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    m4rc
    • 19th Oct 16, 1:07 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 1:07 AM
    People who are able to manage their finances realise that if you control your credit rather than letting it control you then you can get some really good deals, like long periods of interest free credit. That means you can better use of your money, and if you want or need something you can have it. Very useful if the boiler blows up, the washing machine breaks down or the car needs an expensive repair. If you have a few hundred saved you may be able to get by, but if next month something else happens you are officially stuffed. Then, having no credit you will apply for several accounts, you may be lucky and get a reasonable deal, or you may get nothing and turn to a payday lender and find your debts spiral out of control. What are you going to cut up then?

I suppose if you are the type of person who will max out every credit card and only make minimum payment she it is good advice, for people who borrow responsibly it's really not good advice.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 19th Oct 16, 7:42 AM
    • 16,512 Posts
    • 178,509 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 19th Oct 16, 7:42 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 7:42 AM
    I have a Tesco CC, points have gone down lately but I like the card.

I NEVER spend more than I can afford on it, I pay it off every month.

I do this by removing money from my saving that I would otherwise have spent through the month.

Therefore I have some money in my savings for 2 - 6 weeks more than it would be there otherwise. It does not make much difference these days, but every little counts.

I am in total control of my credit, I use it for convenience.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Helvetica Van Buren
    • By Helvetica Van Buren 19th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Helvetica Van Buren
    Go into the kitchen, open the drawer get the scissors. Get your credit card, place between scissor blades. CUT ONCE, cut again and again. Gather the pieces and place in the bin.

YOU HAVE NOW GOT RID OF YOUR CARD. NOW YOU HAVE TO STRUGGLE FOR A BIT, BUT SAVE A FEW HUNDRED £. THIS SHOULD BE SEPERATED FROM YOUR MAIN ACCOUNT. THIS IS YOUR CREDIT LIMIT. YOU CAN DIP IN AND OUT, AND PAY MONTHLY PAYMENTS TO YOURSELF, TO GET IT BACK TO MAX AMOUNT AVAILABLE. YOU CAN EXTEND YOUR LIMIT BY ADDING SOME NEW FUNDS TO THE BALANCE. IT IS ZERO INTEREST LENDING.
    Originally posted by runner2014
    What about all the accounts and services it's linked to? They don't become inactive just because you've cut the plastic up.

Also, my scissors aren't in the kitchen.

Also, WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

Also, this advice is terrible.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 19th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    What about all the accounts and services it's linked to? They don't become inactive just because you've cut the plastic up.

Also, my scissors aren't in the kitchen.

Also, WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

Also, this advice is terrible.
    Originally posted by Helvetica Van Buren
    Clearly if you had cut up your credit card you could afford a second pair for the kitchen
    • Rich7111
    • By Rich7111 19th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Rich7111
    Do I report my own repayment history to the Credit Reference agencies? Do I automatically qualify for the credit card s75 protection by following your advice?

Some people have credit cards for different reasons, if you are struggling then yes, taking control of your finances is a good idea. How ever, I couldn't be bothered with printing my own credit card statements etc
    • Helvetica Van Buren
    • By Helvetica Van Buren 19th Oct 16, 11:14 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Helvetica Van Buren
    Clearly if you had cut up your credit card you could afford a second pair for the kitchen
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Just so I'm clear: you're saying that upon cutting up my credit card I'll be able to afford a second pair of scissors? Have I understood you correctly?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 19th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Just so I'm clear: you're saying that upon cutting up my credit card I'll be able to afford a second pair of scissors? Have I understood you correctly?
    Originally posted by Helvetica Van Buren
    Yes

SORRY I FORGOT TO TYPE IT IN CAPS BECAUSE THAT IS IMPORTANT
    • Helvetica Van Buren
    • By Helvetica Van Buren 19th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Helvetica Van Buren
    Yes

SORRY I FORGOT TO TYPE IT IN CAPS BECAUSE THAT IS IMPORTANT
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Lucky me, I guess.

Last edited by Helvetica Van Buren; 19-10-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

7,796Users online

Martin's Twitter